Follow

Ultimatum

Story arc »

"When God didn't like what he created, he washed it all away in 40 days and 40 nights. I will do it in three" -Magneto

Ultimatum #5 Review

• 59 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Have you read this yet?  What did you think?  Did the final issue pay off for you?  Are you happy with the end?  What do you think will happen to the Ultimate Universe after this?  

Is there any hope for the dead characters?  Is this 'housecleaning' a good idea to get rid of so many characters?  What about the "big" characters that were killed off?  Do you think Marvel will let them stay dead and for how long?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Loved it. Kill em all, its only the Ultimate U anyway. Seriously though I really liked this series and the ending was badass.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

your quote of Cyclops made me laugh alot good job 

I just don't see why they needed to do this at all....imo the Ultimate Universe was great if they wanted to shake things up they didn't need all of the pointless deaths to do it...I just hope that it was worth it when Ultimate Comics starts
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

I believe allowing Jeph Loeb to pillage, rape, loot, and otherwise pee-upon what was once considered the most innovative comic book concept in DECADES a pathetic attempt at publicity and shock-value rather than coming clean and admitting they hit a wall. Joey Q had a bout of ADD and forgot he cared about the Ultimate Universe one day, probably because Bendis whispered the word "Skrull" into his ear, and they were off-n-runnin'. The books' collective quality, save for "Spider-Man", went right into the Ultimate Commode, so Comic Book Satan himself, Jeph Loeb, got the call to give this abortion a mercy-killing. 

"Ultimatum #5" may as well be titled, "Sorry you poor shlubs invested so much time and money on growing fond of these characters; you were stupid to do it, you should've known better!"

Oh, number five, of course.

TehLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TehLantern

The video ends after like 10 seconds :(  I cant see the rest of it?

rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rouju

Cyclops dead? I almost think that maybe Ultimate Marvel will consist the existing superheroes team, and Cyclops could be the leader of the new team, but then again this is Ultimate universe (where my favourite mutant Colossus is gay). 

Still dig it though
    themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By themaskedhero

I don't want to hate on it, but all the deaths seem to lessen the important deaths we have sprinkled across the series. It wasn't a bad series over all I just feel that handfuls of better stories could have been told while we got pulled through this series and the delays only slow the pacing for the next era of Ultimate Marvel.

E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

There are two reasons why they're doing this.... One, sales. We're in a recession, money's tight, and this kind of story makes waves. Gets people reading.  
    Two, brand new day. Most people,   discerning people are not on board with this story. It's forced, it's lame, it's fleeting. Joe Quesada wants to make sure the only  moderately good Spider-man to read about out there is BND Spidey, and in order to make it not look  deliberate, he's willing to decimate the entire Ultimate universe in the process! 
    ............... Okay, that last part was just me venting, but it's not improbable.....

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tmul501

I have many issues with this comic. I don't think it was as terrible as some people do, but I don't know if I can agree with the 4 out of 5 G-man gave. The comic itself isn't bad, it's the fact that they ignored so many things that lead up to the event. Whatever happened to Ultimate Rick Jones? How did these metal people get the drop on Mags? Did he just let them do him in? I mean Valkyrie cut his flippin' are off with a sword! He couldn't have stopped that? That's like having hydroman die by drowning. And this whole series was called ultimatum...did you ever hear anyone offer said ultimatum? 

I don't want to hate on it because this is my favorite universe, but I do think it should have been handled better but in the same turn it could have been handled much worse. I'm excited to see what happens next and Ultimatum did leave the UU in a very interesting and exciting position for years to come. I can't wait for UCSM and UCA now.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @rouju said:
    " Still dig it though "
    Thought I was the only one for a minute.
    Perspective91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Perspective91

I haven't read any of these comics, but if Hulk is going up against Mystique can't she just change into the Hulk?????

Djinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Djinn

i liked how some of the main characters died, its something the normal marvel comics wouldn't do and its nice to see it being done, not just little charcters who people dont even recognize

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By danhimself
    @Perspective91 said:
    "

I haven't read any of these comics, but if Hulk is going up against Mystique can't she just change into the Hulk?????

"

her changing into the Hulk doesn't make her as strong as the Hulk...all it does is make her look like the Hulk....she doesn't copy powers just appearence
    Perspective91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Perspective91

@danhimself said:

"@Perspective91 said:
    "

"
    her changing into the Hulk doesn't make her as strong as the Hulk...all it does is make her look like the Hulk....she doesn't copy powers just appearence "

Oh, but what about Mystique in the first X-Men movie when she turned into wolverine and she had claws? (I know fox made the movie, but I'm just wondering...)
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By pixelized
    @Perspective91 said:
    "

@danhimself said:

"@Perspective91 said:
    "

"
    her changing into the Hulk doesn't make her as strong as the Hulk...all it does is make her look like the Hulk....she doesn't copy powers just appearence "

Oh, but what about Mystique in the first X-Men movie when she turned into wolverine and she had claws? (I know fox made the movie, but I'm just wondering...) "
    you saw how easily wolverine chopped them in half?
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I liked this, What happened to Cyclops was just a big shocker to me, and Wolverine is so coming back, But like G-Man said with FF and X-Men just putting these people in jail, I was wondering how the Ultimates killed every villian they fought, but no one else did, I thought that was odd, but yeah this was a good issue, it gets me pumped for Ultimate Avengers and I have a preview to Ultimate Spider-Man Vol2 and it is amazing. Good review by the way G-Man, feels like forever since I've seen you or Babs review anything
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pixelized

I felt bad for Kitty, but that's about all. 

Aren't all of the F4 alive? lame.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pixelized

Scratch that, She still has Storm, Iceman, Jean, and Colossus, why does she think she's all alone?

ulrich200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ulrich200
    @RaptorFratBoy said:

" I believe allowing Jeph Loeb to pillage, rape, loot, and otherwise pee-upon what was once considered the most innovative comic book concept in DECADES a pathetic attempt at publicity and shock-value rather than coming clean and admitting they hit a wall. Joey Q had a bout of ADD and forgot he cared about the Ultimate Universe one day, probably because Bendis whispered the word "Skrull" into his ear, and they were off-n-runnin'. The books' collective quality, save for "Spider-Man", went right into the Ultimate Commode, so Comic Book Satan himself, Jeph Loeb, got the call to give this abortion a mercy-killing.   "Ultimatum #5" may as well be titled, "Sorry you poor shlubs invested so much time and money on growing fond of these characters; you were stupid to do it, you should've known better!"  Oh, number five, of course. "

Joe and Jeph Destroyed Ultimate U cuz  it was loved more than Marvel @$@$ing U
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By zombietag

def not a 4 out of 5. get serious. maybe a 2 or 2.5. it was fun to see something really different but overall it felt really forced and not very well done. all the characters dying just got old. no more shock value, just like "ok theres one more." like i said it was fun to read something that would never really happen in 616. but not that great. 

and wait didnt spider-man straight up die? why did it say he was missing in action? i thought there was gunna be a new spidey or something. hmm 

i def think wolverine sounded like "pbbbbbt" when he got blasted. good call g-man

Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jamiracles
    G-Man, always a good reason to turn down my Pandora for five minutes. Nice review, brother.

I've got to disagree with your last statement though... I've always felt the Ultimates Universe was a bit more for mature readers than it was initially intended to be because Millar and Bendis did a lot more things with their characters that 616 normally doesnt  and cant do. I certainly feel a lot more weight with Peter Parkers decisions in the Ultimates-verse than in 616 and I've also felt that there was a bit more of the characters sorta answering to realistic responsibilities. Such as Giant Man and his violent (and unfortunately graphic) relationship with Wasp. Hulk doesnt always seem to (at least at first) have that innocent little HULK SMASH JUST NOT INNOCENT PEOPLE and bystanders in the Ultimates-verse where he is seen eating people because of the savage and animalistic nature of his transformation. And Peters relationship with his Aunt in the Ultimates-verse was much more realistic (in my opinion) because of the distance between them once Uncle Ben (the one related to him by blood) was out of the picture.

So I may be wrong and you may not read this but...I just sorta wanted to voice my opinion on that little part.
    themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#21  Edited By themaskedhero

After thinking about it, in the Ultimate Fantastic Four/X-Men Annual from last year they hinted at Ultimatum by name and how things were going to play out and they avoided the entire idea of the annual. 

Like how Cyclops becomes Captain America because Steve aged in front of everyone's eyes and Sue became an "evil" character and people like Peter Parker were in the N-Zone. 

Does this bother anyone else? Did everything get changed that much by a character's actions?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I lost any interest in Ultimate X-Men when they made Emma one of Xavier's ex girlfriends. I later heard they killed her off. I had no interest in reading it. I had looked forward to a possible teen Emma, but never got that.

I like Ultimate Spider-man. The video game was great as well.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By goldenkey
    @Jamiracles said:
    "G-Man, always a good reason to turn down my Pandora for five minutes. Nice review, brother.

I've got to disagree with your last statement though... I've always felt the Ultimates Universe was a bit more for mature readers than it was initially intended to be because Millar and Bendis did a lot more things with their characters that 616 normally doesnt  and cant do. I certainly feel a lot more weight with Peter Parkers decisions in the Ultimates-verse than in 616 and I've also felt that there was a bit more of the characters sorta answering to realistic responsibilities. Such as Giant Man and his violent (and unfortunately graphic) relationship with Wasp. Hulk doesnt always seem to (at least at first) have that innocent little HULK SMASH JUST NOT INNOCENT PEOPLE and bystanders in the Ultimates-verse where he is seen eating people because of the savage and animalistic nature of his transformation. And Peters relationship with his Aunt in the Ultimates-verse was much more realistic (in my opinion) because of the distance between them once Uncle Ben (the one related to him by blood) was out of the picture.  So I may be wrong and you may not read this but...I just sorta wanted to voice my opinion on that little part. "

I agree with what you are saying about Millar and Bendis and their approach to the Ult. Univ.  With Millar coming back and having Loeb still on board, I have a feeling that this was just an introduction for something bigger.  We've seen what Millar can do with folding stories to make one big story, and Bendis does this too.  New Avengers, Sevret Invasion, Dark Reign.  We're not seeing the whole picture yet.  The Ult Univ was modernized for mature readers, and updated to how hero's would respond in this day.  Now people can't bitch about calling Ult a rip-off because it's not even called Marvel anymore.  Does anyone even realize that..  It's a whole seperate line instead of basically Marvel # 2.  Ult took us by suprise when it came out by a guy named Bendis who was getting credit in revitalizing a known but not super poplular book in Daredevil and a guy most people didn't know in Millar.  Now because of those 2 guys it's the norm for writers to do more then 1 book at a time.  It was done before sure, but not like Millar and Bendis did.  They basically with Qusada's approval birthed the Ultimate line into a head to head competition with it's main child of the 616.  Ult Spiderman never lost that flavor, but didn't tie in to the other Ult books as much as X-men and the Ultimates did.  Ultimate orgins started something, Ultimatum is continuing it, and the future is the rest, and I can't wait.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By goldenkey
    @E.I.S.A.M. said:
    "There are two reasons why they're doing this.... One, sales. We're in a recession, money's tight, and this kind of story makes waves. Gets people reading.  
    Two, brand new day. Most people,   discerning people are not on board with this story. It's forced, it's lame, it's fleeting. Joe Quesada wants to make sure the only  moderately good Spider-man to read about out there is BND Spidey, and in order to make it not look  deliberate, he's willing to decimate the entire Ultimate universe in the process! 
    ............... Okay, that last part was just me venting, but it's not improbable..... "

that's ridiculous.  Remember Millar is on board again, and he brings in just as much as Bendis.  Remember Cival War?  And Millars X-men, FF, and Ultimates out sold or tied in sales with their 616 counterparts
    EvLJEsT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvLJEsT

Ok so i read the whole thing and i got one question "why is namor in a tube chilling with Dr. Doom" ??? i dont read the ultimate universe very often so could someone please fill me in :-)

Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
    Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it how they list Spider-man as "MIA" in that last page. 

And the last page (before the page of the deceased) confused. I was like, what? But, other than that I did like the issue. But, Not sure about the story arc. I don't even remember if I have all the issues. This arc was so long.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pixelized
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " I lost any interest in Ultimate X-Men when they made Emma one of Xavier's ex girlfriends. I later heard they killed her off. I had no interest in reading it. I had looked forward to a possible teen Emma, but never got that.

I like Ultimate Spider-man. The video game was great as well. "
    Not having a teen emma bothered me as well. 

@Giuseppe Riccadonna said:
    " I love it how they list Spider-man as "MIA" in that last page.  And the last page (before the page of the deceased) confused. I was like, what? But, other than that I did like the issue. But, Not sure about the story arc. I don't even remember if I have all the issues. This arc was so long. "
    the issues just took forever to come out. there was practically a 2 month wait between issues one and 2.
    Avatar image for termination_squad
    Termination Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending was bad-ass, and is it weird to feel guilty for Mystique's face expression at the end of the book?

Akwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Akwa

I dub this comic book an abomination unto the Lord. Did not like it. At all.
    E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.
    @goldenkey: @goldenkey said:
    " @E.I.S.A.M. said:
    "There are two reasons why they're doing this.... One, sales. We're in a recession, money's tight, and this kind of story makes waves. Gets people reading.  
    ............... Okay, that last part was just me venting, but it's not improbable..... "
    that's ridiculous.  Remember Millar is on board again, and he brings in just as much as Bendis.  Remember Cival War?  And Millars X-men, FF, and Ultimates out sold or tied in sales with their 616 counterparts "
    Marvel is a multi-million dollar company with thousands of employees, and freelancers. Not to mention Millar is 8 out of 10 times late on his books, and that was before he had a movie career. Plus they've raised the prices on comic books.   
    Not
    ridiculous.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pixelized
    @Termination Squad said:
    " The ending was bad-ass, and is it weird to feel guilty for Mystique's face expression at the end of the book? "
    she was sad?
    Termination Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelized said:
    " @Termination Squad said:
    " The ending was bad-ass, and is it weird to feel guilty for Mystique's face expression at the end of the book? "
    she was sad? "
    No, but the way it was drawn with her hand on her elbow gave me that impression XD
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pixelized
    @Termination Squad said:
    " @pixelized said:
    she was sad? "
    No, but the way it was drawn with her hand on her elbow gave me that impression XD "
    Lol i just thought she was plotting her next move
    Termination Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelized said:
    " @pixelized said:
    she was sad? "
    No, but the way it was drawn with her hand on her elbow gave me that impression XD "
    Lol i just thought she was plotting her next move "
    Lol When I saw that I automatically thought "Awe the poor thing, the Hulk almost ate her."
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pixelized

And then she tried to blow him up

Termination Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelized said:

" And then she tried to blow him up "

It's traumatizing for a shape-shifting mutant - woman
    rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rouju
    @themaskedhero said:
    "After thinking about it, in the Ultimate Fantastic Four/X-Men Annual from last year they hinted at Ultimatum by name and how things were going to play out and they avoided the entire idea of the annual.  Like how Cyclops becomes Captain America because Steve aged in front of everyone's eyes and Sue became an "evil" character and people like Peter Parker were in the N-Zone.  Does this bother anyone else? Did everything get changed that much by a character's actions? "

Slim became Captain America? did you have any image of "that". I only read ultimate x men and Spiderman, jeez, I miss that even huh?
    vaage-aina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vaage-aina

i actually like the fact that so many heroes died in ultimatum. it doesn't make sense that a  huge event is going to happen and when all the things are done, everyone somehow miraculously survives and the villain just get a slap on the wrist and the whole population seems to forget about it like it wasn't a big deal. of course with any big event there should be a repercussions, and multiple deaths and some character developments that alters their perceptive and that is why i like what is happening in ultimatum: a big event with that actually made a big impact. and that is also why i can't wait to see the next development in ultimate marvel u. how different it will be from the mainstream 616. there were a few thing i did not like, like the characterization of doom who seems kinda dumb for an intellect or magneto crying like a pansy and his lack of conviction for revenge for his children gone after learnig the truth about the mutant origin:come-on, that should have not mattered to him if he went to this great lenghts to cause all these catastrophies, and many more( G-man has stated some of them), aside from these minor irritance, i like whats happening and cant wait to see where this is going . i know wolverine will be resurrected for sure. come on- he has healing abilities with an indestructible metal bones..im sure there's some meat left in him enough to built himself back together again. i wonder if there will be repercussions with the Thing after what he did. it was out of character which is why i liked it...

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I would rather they'd killed off 616 and preserved the Ultimate Universe.  Even in the last few not so good years, the Ultimate U has been a constant source of entertainment for me.  616 has been nothing but a long string of disappointments, missed opportunities, bumbling executions and crushing mediocrity. 

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Vindellavon

Oh man.
    Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By buttersdaman000

omg cyclops died!!? hes one of my fav characters!!!

oh and can somebody please spoil what happened in this issue for me.....please

Deo Wade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Deo Wade

Time to make some new characters.

darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By darth_fletcher

i remember watching the trailer for ultimatum and was so excited that they would actually do something like that. 

ive bought every ultimate book thats been writing and i got say...jeph loeb has just killed everything i ever loved about the ultimate universe. 

the guy seriously sucks and i not read anything he writes again, i hope he never writes another ultimate title but if he does, then i wont be buying it !!!

The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The Hottness

it was a interesting book

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

The only book I stuck with was Ultimate Spider-Man. (I might one day track down the Ultimate FF back issues...) I might look for this once it's collected as a trade. I started picking up New Avengers and Secret Invasion that way and was not disappointed... 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Media_Master

this issue sounds interesting enough
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By John Valentine

Cyclops isn't dead :@.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pixelized

How calm Storm and Colossus were when it happened leads me to believe he isn't either.

FatCobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FatCobra

I was really happy when wolverine was killed. Too bad it probably won't be permanent.

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Tmul501
    @John Valentine said:
    " Cyclops isn't dead :@. "
    What makes you say that?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.