Follow

Ultimatum

Story arc »

"When God didn't like what he created, he washed it all away in 40 days and 40 nights. I will do it in three" -Magneto

Ultimatum #3, Are There Too Many Deaths?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I know this issue came out last week.  There's a couple reasons I didn't get this review out sooner but that's not important.  What is important is, are all these deaths a good thing?

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Hawk

The first 3 issues was just people dying.....there was no story really. They need to move the story or they are going to have to find new readers.

themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By themaskedhero

I agree with the complaint that death becomes the norm.

And as far the covers go, I think they don't want to give away who going to to die, so they slap everyone on the cover they can.
    themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By themaskedhero

I agree with the complaint that death becomes the norm.

And as far the covers go, I think they don't want to give away who going to to die, so they slap everyone on the cover they can.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

It's just bad when characters are killed off and then brought back.  It diminishes the original 'death' story.  I'm not sure if they're going to do that here.  It just seems a waste of so many characters.  If the Ultimate Universe is still around in a few years (and I think it should be), writers will either be limited with which characters they use or will have to come up with some way to bring the dead back.  A death once in a while can be a good story.  When it's all the time, it loses it's impact.

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hawk

I'm wondering where the big blond guys body is......After he sacrificed himself did it go with him or just his spirit like the All American boy and V or is it somewhere?
    Trying not to Spoil

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By dane

I personally felt, especially initially, that the Ultimate Universe was really just another place they could kill off characters and not affect major book sales. They slowed it down for awhile but it looks like everyone and anyone is fair game now and I think writers have to majorly reflect on what they're writing and what everyone else in the industry is writing. People cared when Superman died once, people really stop caring when Charles Xavier dies for the 15th time in alternate universe. We've had a huge run recently of major major characters getting killed off and it's becoming way too familiar, it honestly doesn't affect me at all when I see a character die anymore because chances are you're going to see them back within a few months. It's a way to try to sell a lot of comics for a few issues, at the expense of consistent sales in the long run. If having someone die is your only plot device as a writer you probably shouldn't be a writer.

I counted 17 deaths in 21 pages for that comic alone, not counting the stack killed already in the series or madrox clones (won't rule out counting error) But those 17 weren't like some unnamed morlocks or something, those were X-Men and Avengers dude, seriously wtf they can't tell a story without that many major deaths to make their point that theres a conflict?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Hawk said:
    "I'm wondering where the big blond guys body is......After he sacrificed himself did it go with him or just his spirit like the All American boy and V or is it somewhere?
    Trying not to Spoil "
    That's a good question. Maybe I gotta look at issue 2.  Where did he "fall" at? 
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By sora_thekey
    G-Man said:
    "Hawk said:
    "I'm wondering where the big blond guys body is......After he sacrificed himself did it go with him or just his spirit like the All American boy and V or is it somewhere?
    Trying not to Spoil "
    That's a good question. Maybe I gotta look at issue 2.  Where did he "fall" at?  "
    Big Blond guys?
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

It just feels like one last ditch effort to make Ultimate Marvel interesting, but a mass slaughter isn't interesting...  It's morbid.  The death toll is so large you start to feel numb, instead of a deep personal impact with each character... but it's also so large, you can't help but think they'll find a way to resurrect them all.

Make sure Homer-Death doesn't touch you!!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sora_thekey

xerox-kitty said:

"It just feels like one last ditch effort to make Ultimate Marvel interesting, but a mass slaughter isn't interesting...  It's morbid.  The death toll is so large you start to feel numb, instead of a deep personal impact with each character... but it's also so large, you can't help but think they'll find a way to resurrect them all.

"

I agree you don't even have time to mourn for the fictional, fake comic book character!!!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Erik

...... Detonator?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck
    erik said:
    "...... Detonator?"
    Exactly.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By danhimself

the art has been great....at first i kind of liked that some of the heroes died during the wave because it was more realistic that some of the street level characters would die that way but like g-man said what's going to happen in the future of the ultimate universe are they just going to start bringing people back in stupid ways or are they going to start making new characters

Dane said:
    "I personally felt, especially initially, that the Ultimate Universe was really just another place they could kill off characters and not affect major book sales. They slowed it down for awhile but it looks like everyone and anyone is fair game now and I think writers have to majorly reflect on what they're writing and what everyone else in the industry is writing. People cared when Superman died once, people really stop caring when Charles Xavier dies for the 15th time in alternate universe. We've had a huge run recently of major major characters getting killed off and it's becoming way too familiar, it honestly doesn't affect me at all when I see a character die anymore because chances are you're going to see them back within a few months. It's a way to try to sell a lot of comics for a few issues, at the expense of consistent sales in the long run. If having someone die is your only plot device as a writer you probably shouldn't be a writer.I counted 17 deaths in 21 pages for that comic alone, not counting the stack killed already in the series or madrox clones (won't rule out counting error) But those 17 weren't like some unnamed morlocks or something, those were X-Men and Avengers dude, seriously wtf they can't tell a story without that many major deaths to make their point that theres a conflict?"
    there really haven't been any deaths in the ultimate universe before this so i don't know why you would feel that it was just a place they could kill off characters whenever they wanted
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Well, I seem to be on the opposite side of the fence in regards to the death dealing. I love it to be perfectly honest. To me the Ultimate Universe never made much sense to begin with. What was the point? Basically to re-write the characters origin/backstory? Been there done that. At least now their doing something that (for better or worse) has grabbed people's attention. With all the character deaths the Ultimate U (in my opinion) has stepped out of the 616 shadow. Its now more then just the same characters different back stories and adventures. Its ruthless. Anyone can get taken out at anytime. And not just in a major battle but natural disasters as well. Which adds a lil realism to it. I'm excited to see who buys it next (Spiderman, Spiderman, Spiderman) with any luck. Having said all that however, I find myself agreeing with G-Man on one issue, the next couple issues are gonna have to be on point or this could blow up in Marvel's face.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pixelized
    sora_thekey said:
    "

xerox-kitty said:

"It just feels like one last ditch effort to make Ultimate Marvel interesting, but a mass slaughter isn't interesting...  It's morbid.  The death toll is so large you start to feel numb, instead of a deep personal impact with each character... but it's also so large, you can't help but think they'll find a way to resurrect them all.

"

I agree you don't even have time to mourn for the fictional, fake comic book character!!!

"
    You just stop caring/reading all together.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gmanfromheck

This was supposed to be a big deal.  Jeph Loeb kept bringing it up in every single panel he was in at Comic Con last summer.  But so far, I haven't been overly impressed.  Killing characters is easy.  Writing a meaningful kick ass arc is another.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By xerox_kitty
    Detonator... at least he has his own page.  Surely somebody must be mourning him...?  Someone....?  Anyone??
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    danhimself said:
    "there really haven't been any deaths in the ultimate universe before this so i don't know why you would feel that it was just a place they could kill off characters whenever they wanted"
    I thought there had been a couple. Gambit and Juggernaut are dead I'm pretty sure. Probably missing a couple other names in there as well.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By danhimself
    Gambler said:
    "danhimself said:
    "there really haven't been any deaths in the ultimate universe before this so i don't know why you would feel that it was just a place they could kill off characters whenever they wanted"
    I thought there had been a couple. Gambit and Juggernaut are dead I'm pretty sure. Probably missing a couple other names in there as well."
    those 2 and gwen stacey and of course uncle ben....but considering that the ultimate universe has been around since 2000 that's really not a lot of characters dying
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Precise

He's just trying to make an impression with all the deaths, in the coming issues the story will probably begin to pick up. But currently, yeah, i've had it with all the deaths.. It's beginning to feel 'normal'. And it should be shocking.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself

i've had it with loeb....someone should take out a pfa on him

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pixelized
    danhimself said:
    "Gambler said:
    "danhimself said:
    I thought there had been a couple. Gambit and Juggernaut are dead I'm pretty sure. Probably missing a couple other names in there as well."
    those 2 and gwen stacey and of course uncle ben....but considering that the ultimate universe has been around since 2000 that's really not a lot of characters dying
    "
    and psyloke the first time.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Ultimate Spider-Man has been the only great thing about this story.  I do not really enjoy the current stuff of Ultimatum and I just want it to be over with.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Media_Master

Yeah, I'll wait to see how it all wraps up

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#25  Edited By No_Name_

Who doesn't love Jeph Loeb!?

G-man you have way too much fun with your toys. Lol. Nice review. I haven't picked up this issue, but what is the point of killing all of these characters? Let's hope they aren't killing for the sake of killing...and that if they HAVE to die, that they didn't die without a cause.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nahero

i found it totally gross that giant man bit blobs head off

Avatar image for cancer_the_conqueror
    Cancer the Conqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree, these issues, for me, are just pure shoke value. We all now know the "comicbook death" is used pretty lightly in UM, so all these deaths should make everybody go "No WAY! XO This is UM, so that means (s)he's never coming back!!." There better be a concrete reason why all this is going on.

Plus, how the heck did Mags get Moljnir? Is'nt that thing suppossed to be inecessable to everyone who's, I don't know...evil?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DEGRAAF

what is the MOLJNIR?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By danhimself
    DEGRAAF said:
    "what is the MOLJNIR?"
    thor's hammer
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sora_thekey
    Cancer the Conqueror said:
    "I have to agree, these issues, for me, are just pure shoke value. We all now know the "comicbook death" is used pretty lightly in UM, so all these deaths should make everybody go "No WAY! XO This is UM, so that means (s)he's never coming back!!." There better be a concrete reason why all this is going on.Plus, how the heck did Mags get Moljnir? Is'nt that thing suppossed to be inecessable to everyone who's, I don't know...evil?"

In Ultimates 3 Thor dropped it in front of Magneto's face, how he picked it up who knows?
    Runsamok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Runsamok

I believe that Magneto can control the magnetic fields around Thor's hammer to "lift/throw" it.   Also I'm not sure that Mjolner's rules apply in the UMU.

superduper13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By superduper13

hey anyone, i haven't had time to go to buy/read these comics...can someone tell me who has died?

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

superduper13 said:
    "hey anyone, i haven't had time to go to buy/read these comics...can someone tell me who has died?"
    Beast
    Dazzler
    Nightcrawler
    Human Torch (MIA)
    Wasp
    Giant Man
    Thor
    Valkyrie
    Blob

Have I missed anyone? 
    I'm pissed as hell about the whole Ultimatum mess.  It's nothing but cheap shock value, erasing characters for no reason just to piss off the fans and temporarily boost sales.  It's sleazy, nasty, cruel and stupid.  The Ultimate Universe was largely free of this kind of bullshit before this nonsensical "event" started; that was one of the major reasons I preferred the Ultimate books to 616.  I guess the powers that be decided that carefully developed characters, witty writing and a slick modern feel were the wrong way to go; what we needed was more random plot twists, hollow characters and lame mega-events that throw established continuity into the trash can just because.  Get a clue, clowns:  I don't read Ultimate books because I want 616, I read Ultimate books because I'm sick of 616.  You bastards are ruining my favorite comics.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pixelized

Psylocke
    Syndicate
    Colossus

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Alexander Anderson said:
    "superduper13 said:
    "hey anyone, i haven't had time to go to buy/read these comics...can someone tell me who has died?"
    Beast
    Dazzler
    Nightcrawler
    Human Torch (MIA)
    Wasp
    Giant Man
    Thor
    Valkyrie
    Blob

Have I missed anyone? 

Daredevil.
    Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDrifter said:
    "Daredevil."
    Oh yeah, forgot about him.

pixelized said:
    "Psylocke SyndicateColossus"
    Oh balls.  Looks like I'll have to pick up the latest issue of Ultimate X-Men and see the damage for myself...

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pixelized

Psylocke's death was off screen. One minute she's using cerebro the next she's dead

Oh and how could i forget, All of Emma's Academy of Tomorrow. Havok is missing, but everyone else is said to be dead.

bmbmustdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By bmbmustdie

the main flaw of ultimatum is that none of the deaths have any impact or meaning. 

Avatar image for marvel_minimates
    marvel minimates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By marvel minimates
    @Hawk:
    well giant mans body including his skelenton was incinerated soo

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.