Ultimate Comics X-Men #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's been a little while since there was an X-Men team in the Ultimate Universe, but fortunately, they're back in action. Issue one features Nick Spencer's writing, Paco Medina's penciling, Juan Vlasco's inking, and Marte Garcia's colors.

The Good

I hope you like awesome art because that's exactly what you're going to get. Medina, Vlasco, and Garcia come together to create a really cool, contemporary, animated style that isn't too over-the-top. It's just nice to flip through a book and not be confused about anything you see on the page, and that happens more than you think. The art is clear and crisp and works well with the story.

Nick Spencer was dealt a huge hand with this issue. He had to catch up a whole group of new readers to this world and previous stories. He does a pretty good job of briefly going over everything that happened, just so new readers can be caught up. Aside from that, it's an interesting story. The most interesting aspects of the issue deal with where mutants are now, how they are treated, and the reveal of the where the mutant strain came from originally.

The new Kitty Pryde costume is super-sweet! It's kind of a reveal at the end of the issue, so I won't post it here, but it gives here a new level of mystery. It's not necessarily a ladies costume either. It's more unisex than anything else. Frankly, it's just nice to see a woman (well, teenager in her case) with a new costume in something that isn't revealing or supposed to be "sexy." And again, the costume is super-sweet.

The Bad

New readers are going to have a tough time with this book. You'll essentially be playing catch-up the entire time, picking out pieces of dialogue and digesting them as you put the story together yourself. Spencer seemed to do the best he can catching readers up, but it's a daunting task, and it may turn off new readers.

Get ready for a ton of dialogue and no action. It's hard to say that's a bad thing, but as I read the issue I couldn't stop thinking that there was a ton of information being thrown at me. I am an Ultimate Universe fan, and while the information given to me in said issue was information I already knew, it didn't seem too repetitive. It fit the book nicely. This is an instance that isn't particularly bad, but it's not great. It is, however, information new readers should know.

Ultimate X set up the new X-Men team, but Ultimate Comics X-Men spends about 3 pages with that team, and then it jumps everywhere else in the Ultimate Universe. I would have liked a bit more emphasis on the team and less on, well, everything else.

The Verdict

It's a good issue, but I'm right down the middle with it. I think the writing and art are awesome, but it doesn't have that feel like a new reader could jump right in. This issue is a ton of expository dialogue, and it's incredibly jumpy, but the art, writing, and Kitty's new "super-sweet" costume will have you on board. I was expecting a little more out of this book, and I really thought it was going to be more "new reader friendly." However, I still recommend it, and I think this will be a book to watch in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.