Follow

Trigon

Character » Trigon appears in 287 issues.

Trigon is a demonic conqueror intent on bringing every reality in existence under his control. He is also the father of Raven and a deity worshipped by the Church of Blood.

Do you think Trigon could have been the biggest therat to DC ?

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 65

#1  Edited By AssertingValor

Do you think Trigon was the greatest threat to the DC universe?
    After all, HE changed earth on a whim of a thought and the  most drastic measures had to be taken every time he tried to take over the planet and he has killed trillions of beings from many realities and every time hes defeated, it seems that some how he comes back.

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zee crusher

He was one of the biggest. The biggest threat to dc was emporer joker I think.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AssertingValor

Possibly but is hard to say because there have been so many huge threats, liike by Lex Luther, Darkseid, Anti- Monitor....

monsterjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By monsterjackson

Biggest threats were: 

1) The Great Evil Beast 
    2). Emperor Joker 
    3). Mandrakk the Dark Monitor 
    4). Anti- Monitor 
    5). probably Trigon

monsterjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By monsterjackson

Biggest threats were: 

1) The Great Evil Beast 
    2). Emperor Joker 
    3). Mandrakk the Dark Monitor 
    4). Anti- Monitor 
    5). probably Trigon

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Icemizer

Of course the Anti-Monitor was the largest threat as he destroyed entire universes. Remember it took everyone who was anyone to beat him, not a single team. Trigon??? I mean how tough was someone a group of teen heroes could beat. Even Mordru was tougher as it took the assembled teen heroes of dozens of worlds to take him down.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

The biggest threat to DC universe was Geoff Johns getting full control and resurrecting characters who have been dead for thirty years and people have already moved well on from them.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8  Edited By Outside_85

He could and should be bigger than what he is considering what he supposed to have already accomplished (wich is more than Darksied ever managed), but till DC get their heads out of the GL/Batman/Superman bucket, the bad guys of others are going to remain sealed off in obscurity. 

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AssertingValor

bump....
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#10  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

uh, not really the biggest. He's strong, but we've seen eviler even more powerful beings in the DC Universe like, as mentioned above Emperor Joker (boy I loved that arc!), Darkseid (come on, he "killed" batman! that has to be an acomplishment!), Anti-monitor (he destroyed entire universes, and then later was used as the black lantern power battery!).

Those guys are evil. Trigon....well, sure he stole the souls of an entire universe, but we haven't seen him do too much destruction with only 49 appearences.

jordanwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jordanwade

although trigon is a huge threat, im gonna have to say the anti monitor, the black lantern corps, and darkseid are worse threats

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By JSH92

@The Poet said:

Darkseid (come on, he "killed" batman! that has to be an acomplishment!)

Umm, relatively speaking, killing Batman is not that big of an accomplishment when talking about people destroying entire universes.

Anti-Monitor seems like the biggest threat to me.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Trigon is a huge threat. But I feel that The Great Evil Beast, Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor are more dangerous. While Trigon is significantly more powerful than Darkseid, Darkseid has, at times, actually accomplished his goals. He's smarter and looking for something that would make him more dangerous than Trigon, which makes him a bigger threat. Not to mention he can leave his realm whenever he desires. Anti-Monitor has been more successful, he's also significantly more powerful than Trigon. Both Trigon and Darkseid are incredibly evil. Trigon isn't really that old though. While he was formed from primal energies in the universe, he's only about 900 years old. This is crazy compared Darkseid and Anti-Monitor's millions and or billions.

TamarStevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trigon's casually killed Batman repeatedly, in the Terror of Trigon Arc and that one Booster Gold story where the NTT were nerfed. So if Darkseid doing so once qualifies him as a threat, Trigon doing so repeatedly arguably qualifies him as multiple times the threat.

I see Trigon as the DC equivalent to Dormammu, if done right he'd easily be a threat to challenge the DC Multiverse given his own multiversal conqueror status. But the limitations Trigon has on entering the DCU means while in his own realm he'd casually vaporize Darkseid permanently without a thought, in the DCU proper Darkseid is king of the darkness and thus able to challenge him on an even footing. Trigon theoretically would be on par with the Spectre and the Anti-Monitor, but there are practical limitations as a result of various wards created by the great sorcerers and protectors like the Guardians that limit his ability to use this power.

Hence his dependence on Raven theoretically to circumvent them and as someone bequeathed with full taste of his own powers at their height and thus a Trojan Horse into the whole firewall against him. The multiverse being what it is, his greatest success is also his greatest failure as Raven doesn't want to help Trigon take over anything.

Worth noting too is that in neither of his big appearances do the Teen Titans actually defeat Trigon, it's Arella who does most of the work to banish him in the first arc and in Terror of Trigon Azar herself destroys Trigon and the Teen Titans are slapped around like nobody's business and completely and utterly useless. Even in the cartoon it takes Raven briefly tapping into her entire set of powers to do it, before that he lopsidedly overwhelmed his enemies in a curbstomp and when they made him mad it ended up even more of one.

It's something of a feat that Trigon's arguably the only villain associated with a team that the team never actually defeats in any given appearance.

TamarStevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But no, he's not the biggest threat to DC, that would be the Anti-Monitor and in my own headcanon aspect, Darkseid is a much more directly apparent threat because he's already in the DCU and doesn't need to devote major time to cracking into it. With the Anti-Life Equation Darkseid can match Trigon in his own dimension as a full equal, however, without it if Darkseid goes up against Trigon in his own universe Trigon curbstomps him with extreme prejudice. Before Final Crisis Darkseid never accomplished much of anything, certainly not to the equivalent of eating an entire universe or casually killing the Justice League.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tamarstevens: Well, technically, Darkseid isn't in the DCU. He just doesn't have the limitations Trigon does upon trying to enter it. I've always wondered where Trigon's universe was at. We know that the 4th world exist on the edge of the multiverse. But yes, Trigon is far more powerful than Darkseid. He's just been far less successful in achieving his goals. That is probably because Darkseid is favored far more by DC than Trigon is. The Anti-monitor is more powerful than both of them (except for maybe Soul Fire Darkseid). Also, the Spectre varies incredibly in DC. The only thing I can find comparing the two is the Monitor talking about the levels of power indicating a specific type of being. They included Superman in the description and he wasn't far behind them. I feel that the Spectre is far more powerful than Trigon. The only reason he had trouble with the Anti-Monitor was because magic didn't really work in the Anti-Matter universe. Hence why the Spectre couldn't really help.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trigon is highly underrated.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlueHope

@bobandjim1260 said:

@Tamarstevens: Well, technically, Darkseid isn't in the DCU. He just doesn't have the limitations Trigon does upon trying to enter it. I've always wondered where Trigon's universe was at. We know that the 4th world exist on the edge of the multiverse. But yes, Trigon is far more powerful than Darkseid. He's just been far less successful in achieving his goals. That is probably because Darkseid is favored far more by DC than Trigon is. The Anti-monitor is more powerful than both of them (except for maybe Soul Fire Darkseid). Also, the Spectre varies incredibly in DC. The only thing I can find comparing the two is the Monitor talking about the levels of power indicating a specific type of being. They included Superman in the description and he wasn't far behind them. I feel that the Spectre is far more powerful than Trigon. The only reason he had trouble with the Anti-Monitor was because magic didn't really work in the Anti-Matter universe. Hence why the Spectre couldn't really help.

At their base lvls Both Darkseid and Anti Monitor are weaker than Trigon, is just that like Dr Doom and Thanos they usually got after ways of amping their powers and turn god-like .

The reason why Darkseid is a bigger Threat to DCU is the same reason why Thanos is a bigger threat than Mephisto, they're super genius that can easily outsmart earth heroes and celestial beings,create advanced machines and lead giant armies to conquer entire civilizations.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bobandjim1260

@bluehope: Well, outside of Hades I've always interpreted Thanos as being the superior being when compared to Mephisto. However, that is a debate for another time.

Base level for Anti-Monitor is tricky because the first time he appeared he was far from base level. It's also what he was best known for. Trigon has gained power throughout the several hundred years he's been alive and conquered dimensions. However, what you say is basically true. Darkseid is a threat because of two things, the first is that he has unlimited access to every Earth in the multiverse, the second is that he's more intelligent than Trigon. There have been occasions in which Darkseid has surpassed Trigon's level of power (Great Darkness Saga, Soul Fire, Final Crises), but he mostly relies on corruption and manipulation over conquering. I personally also feel Darkseid is more evil and is really one of the ultimate villains of the entire DCU.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank Miller is the biggest threat to the DC universe.

GunsNRoses23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

TakeTheCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The leader of the Gentry. That is if he ever makes a return.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope said:
    @bobandjim1260 said:

At their base lvls Both Darkseid and Anti Monitor are weaker than Trigon, is just that like Dr Doom and Thanos they usually got after ways of amping their powers and turn god-like .

The reason why Darkseid is a bigger Threat to DCU is the same reason why Thanos is a bigger threat than Mephisto, they're super genius that can easily outsmart earth heroes and celestial beings,create advanced machines and lead giant armies to conquer entire civilizations.

I would argue that the real reason why Darkseid is considered the greater threat is because he is more consistently appearing as a major threat. Whereas Trigon simply doesn't appear that often or is allowed to expand on the threat he really poses, simply because if he did it would sort of be a game over. On the other hand, by not appearing nearly as frequently, Trigon hasn't suffered the eventual list of embarassing defeats that Thanos and Darkseid have also suffered... he hasn't gotten mugged in an alley (Darkseid), he hasn't been led away by the NYPD (Thanos), get abandoned by his allies in the middle of a fight (Thanos) or fallen down a flight of stairs (Darkseid).

Also, I would argue that threat levels are not about how smart the characters are, it's about what they are capable of and willing to do to achieve their goals. And Trigon is just capable of doing more than Darkseid is normally.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I agree with you up until you say that intelligence doesn't determine how threatening you are. I'd argue that it's actually more dangerous than power. Because one who was intelligent enough to gain said power via whatever means is going to be more dangerous than someone who is born with power. Thanos being the key example here.

Your statement about them being overused is true. As it creates many low showings, even if they're just meant to be jokes. Darkseid is definitely far weaker than Trigon (unless you include his more recent appearances which make him some sort of linchpin for the entire multiverse), but his plans also seem more terrifying. We have seen what life is life under Trigon's rule. It's terrible (hence Trigon the terrible lol) but under Darkseid, there is no freewill. Everything is but an extension of himself dedicated to himself. I personally find Darkseid more of a terrifying foe for that reason.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I agree with you up until you say that intelligence doesn't determine how threatening you are. I'd argue that it's actually more dangerous than power. Because one who was intelligent enough to gain said power via whatever means is going to be more dangerous than someone who is born with power. Thanos being the key example here.

Your statement about them being overused is true. As it creates many low showings, even if they're just meant to be jokes. Darkseid is definitely far weaker than Trigon (unless you include his more recent appearances which make him some sort of linchpin for the entire multiverse), but his plans also seem more terrifying. We have seen what life is life under Trigon's rule. It's terrible (hence Trigon the terrible lol) but under Darkseid, there is no freewill. Everything is but an extension of himself dedicated to himself. I personally find Darkseid more of a terrifying foe for that reason.

And I would point to Doomsday of disproving it, he was a brainless brick and considered one of the most dangerous mortal beings in the cosmos. I'd agree that a more intelligent entity would make much better use of the power than Doomsday if they decided to use as much of it as he is.

It would agree Darkseid's plan is more evil. But at the same time, I think it's actually preferable to living in Trigons world. Because In Darkseid's world you are nothing but a zombie, in Trigons you are still you. In Darkseid's world you are a blank slate, you don't know anything better or that it could be better, so you are sort of immune to the horror we see from the outside. In Trigons you are left acutely aware things could better, but thats its lost and if you dont do everything in your power to keep his redness content, then your world could become a whole lot worse.

I think the victories are also slightly different in nature, Darkseid's is absolute if he gets what he wants and there is no hope at all. Trigons is only complete, he has beaten his foes and claimed his prize, it leaves chance for hope and Trigon will likely welcome the opportunity to crush it. It's like Morpheus told Lucifer and all of the lords of Hell when they doubted he had any power to oppose them:

What power does Hell have if those imprisoned here could not dream of Heaven?

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I guess I have always found intelligent beings to be more terrifying than mindless ones with immense power. As intelligent being could find a way to claim or manipulate said power. For example, I could see someone like Darkseid orchestrating a plan to take down Galactus and siphon his power off. Where as Doomsday would mindlessly smash until Galactus tires of his annoyance and vaporizes him. For me intelligence is scary because they can use it to gain incredible power, which is basically how it works in real life as well. I guess our views on which hell is worse to live in is rather subjective. You do make the very good point of hell being effective because the inhabitants know that there is something better they can never again obtain. I guess it's whichever one you feel is worse. Anti-life equation takes away your will and individuality. Trigon is much like Dormammu in that they're both unreasonably cruel to their subjects. Just as the idea of hope in Trigons world is the torture. The idea of having everything you are taken away is torture in Darkseid's world. I'd argue that while living in a hell as myself would be terrible, at least it'd be as myself. Anyway, you make good points friend.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobandjim1260: thats all true. But I would say we are arguing in extremes. Trigon has more power than Darkseid, but I would say he still wouldn't have come to where he is by not being 'sufficiently' intelligent... otherwise he'd have been destroyed beforehand by some hero or assembly. I like to imagine that the universe Trigon took physical shape in was like most of the DC Multiverse, with its own heroes and gods and that his conquest of that universe involved all of them falling before him. And like they are in the main DCU, the heroes, villains, gods and monsters will have thrown everything they had at Trigon in order to stop him, every trap and trick attempted, and failed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab39f2267ace
    deactivated-5ab39f2267ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no. the 5D imps could though.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bobandjim1260

@outside_85: there have been a couple story lines where he has actually taken over the DC Universe, or at least one of them. He defeats all the heroes and is practically unstoppable. Well, not the entire Universe, but all of Earth. Then again, Darkseid supposedly has as well. We should also mention the fact that there is really only one Darkseid in the multiverse. I can't for the life of me figure out where Trigon's conquered dimensions exist as they don't appear anywhere on the map. It's probably because he is under utilized. Take into consideration as well that Darkseid was, before he practically killed himself, elevated near the status of Anti-Monitor. A being I consider to be far superior to Trigon. It really just depends of the writing. So I will end with this, I do think Trigon is far more powerful than Darkseid. However, I feel Darkseid is a larger threat because of his ability to access anywhere in the DC Multiverse and he's searching for the Anti-Life Equation which would make him more powerful than Trigon *he could use it to control Trigon. That's a scary thought*

Another odd thing to note is that Darkseid is older than Trigon. Which means that technically Trigon has accomplished more in less time than Darkseid. So there is that.

Anyway, I guess I'll agree to disagree here.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: there have been a couple story lines where he has actually taken over the DC Universe, or at least one of them. He defeats all the heroes and is practically unstoppable. Well, not the entire Universe, but all of Earth. Then again, Darkseid supposedly has as well. We should also mention the fact that there is really only one Darkseid in the multiverse. I can't for the life of me figure out where Trigon's conquered dimensions exist as they don't appear anywhere on the map. It's probably because he is under utilized. Take into consideration as well that Darkseid was, before he practically killed himself, elevated near the status of Anti-Monitor. A being I consider to be far superior to Trigon. It really just depends of the writing. So I will end with this, I do think Trigon is far more powerful than Darkseid. However, I feel Darkseid is a larger threat because of his ability to access anywhere in the DC Multiverse and he's searching for the Anti-Life Equation which would make him more powerful than Trigon *he could use it to control Trigon. That's a scary thought*

Another odd thing to note is that Darkseid is older than Trigon. Which means that technically Trigon has accomplished more in less time than Darkseid. So there is that.

Anyway, I guess I'll agree to disagree here.

I kinda doubt he could control someone like Trigon with the anti-life equation.

Regarding where Trigon resides, well the easy answer would be that he was in/on one of the 5-6 universes Morrison didn't detail, thats one option. Personally though I like to take it from Wolfman's Monitor during COIE where both he and the Anti-Monitor had to fall back on the Psycho-Pirate's control of emotions because Raven had moved to a non-parallel universe and as such beyond the Monitor's extensive sight. So I am saying Trigon always lived in one of these non-parallel universes and as such is from beyond Morrisons Multiverse. Which also helps explain why Trigon seemingly has little to no connection with any other demon or angel in DC before the New 52.

TamarStevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would fit excellently in some ways with why Trigon seems so out of context relative to Neron, Blaze, and Satannus.

Though it is worth noting that at no point have the Teen Titans yet faced Trigon and actually been the ones to beat him. In the first New Teen Titans bit it was Arella who actually kicked him into a portal for a while. Then Azar beat him in Terror of Trigon. In the Winnick/pre-Flashpoint era the Sons of Trigon have to be tricked into draining him and the Titans never directly face him. And in New 52 he actually proves himself a somewhat more efficient in some ways planner than Darkseid mostly because his schemes rely a bit less on obviously treacherous people.

And in the two animated takes he managed to clobber the entire League and the Titans and Deathstroke embarrassed him but that led to a Godzilla vs. Bambi fight thereafter. Followed by Raven doing what Azar did in the New Teen Titans (which I prefer aesthetically).

Something to be said for being a villain facing a superhero team that never actually beats you. And where the only people that can if someone does are in your own bloodline.

I do like that the New 52 had Trigon and his sons as more active presences than used to be the case. What Rebirth will do with them remains to be seen.

TheVoidofDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tamarstevens:

TRIGON

Trigon thing is not as much to destroy universes (as making them vanish or disappear) but to consume or absorb all the souls, life and energies from there, leaving behind a hollow, empty, burning or devastated realm. Or sometimes he keeps some peoples there, as slaves or using them as cannon fodder, for his entertainment or needs. He's nigh-omnipotent ( with Raven 100% completely by his side she said in an issue I have to find he would be limitless ).

He absorbed the Heart of Darkness, who contained an unknown number of universes/billions of souls, but he didn't do it in an instant, however it didn't take too long either, was rather fast, and that however was a 5/10th it wasn't Trigon at full power, as he became after. The fact that those Divine beings that created the Heart of Darkness had no idea who Trigon is confirmed that they had come there from a different universe, and they were moving from a universe to another to eliminate evil.

Trigon in a weakened state (1/10 of his power) considered is still powerful enough to destroy Raven (who at her peak is also above universal), her world (main DC, with every known superhero) and her universe (main DC universe).He wasn't lying as Raven had a mental connection with him and would know if so, and she saw he wasn't lying as he mentioned he is not alone and so she finds he has other kids as well, which was confirmed as true a bit later when her brothers show up for the first time.

He did challenge God/doG in Phantom Stranger, along with a bunch of other nasties (Mister E, Neron, Eclipso, Blight and the Sineater):. He had enough power to challenge the likes of the presence/ was confident in his power; level and the presence was pissed and forced phantom to leave. (the Presence is above him and more powerful and can defeat him, but not anywhere as easy as simply will him out of existence.) After that fight, Trigon survived and continued universes conquering.

Ashley

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading this thread again I am kinda left wondering if Dark Knight's Metal wasn't something Trigon could have pulled off and not come out quite as fan-wanky as 'Batdemon and bat-posse' curb-stomping the Multiverse was?

Like Trigon is from 'regions unknown' and he too has a special someone in the universe thats supposed to let him in despite how much they might try to avoid it, and he certainly has armies to work for him along with being able to cough up a bunch of champions to fight people on his behalf.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@outside_85: That would have actually been pretty cool. But i don't think it would sell as well.

On topic - He is crazy powerful. even when he was drained to the last bits of his strength, he claimed he could destroy the New Earth Universe. However, he is also crazy useless. In all honesty, he fails not due to his enemies, but due to poor planning.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: I kinda doubt it would sell less well, Metal sold it self more on how bonkers it was after all, just make is a huge event and it's good to go... as long as it doesn't suck ofc :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.