Follow

Toad

Character » Toad appears in 1720 issues.

Toad (Mortimer Toynbee) was a Marvel Comics super villain, best known for being a member of Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Toad's Appearance

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

before Toad went to the Jean Grey school he had a lean average body type and a normal skin color.

No Caption Provided

Then when he goes to the X-Men school he suddenly gains like fifty pounds.... also his skin became a shade of green.

Toad & Husk - from Wolverine & the X-Men #15
    Toad & Husk - from Wolverine & the X-Men #15

All of these changes happened without reason, and honestly I hate them all. Does anyone actually like Toad's new look?

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Strafe Prower

This should interest

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By (((Prodigy)))

Since nobody actually cares about Toad, nobody has ever made a standard appearance for him. Some artists make him look like an almost-normal human. Some make him short and fat. Some give him such a toad-like appearance that he might as well be Ultimate Toad. 

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Strafe Prower

@(((Prodigy))): I literally LOL'd at the last picture.

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
    @Strafe Prower: I'm guessing that Scarlet Witch hit him with a hex bolt and made him accidentally release his bowels right as the picture was being taken.
    Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strafe Prower

@(((Prodigy))): LMAO

I honestly don't know what the artist was thinking when he created that costume. Maybe he was on LSD....

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By iLLituracy

His current appearance is based off of Chris Bachalo's design that dates all the way back to the days he used to work on Generation X. I remember there was an issue where Toad was holed up in Emma's old institute and the design was very similar to his appearances in Wolverine and the X-Men which was also done by Bachalo, so it may have been Bachalo's call. Though I think he wasn't as big in Generation X.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Teerack

@(((Prodigy))): The skin color thing does go back and forth, but that last picture was what toad looked like when his DNA was still messed up. They had a big story line about how Juggernaut's father did experiments to toad making him look all gross and fat, but once they fixed his DNA he changed to look normal. it was also when he got most of his powers because originally he could only jump, but once his DNA was repaired he got his long tong, special spits, poison sweat, and ability to stick to walls.

comkid100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By comkid100

I Liked his appearence befor he joined wolverines school.

Filthtrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toad had his genetic structure corrected by the black womb project making him taller, slimmer and giving him his prehensile tongue and acid spit. This was done in a storyline in the early 2000s. Presumably to make his appearance more like his movie version.

I don't read Wolverine and the X-Men but it seems Jason Aaron has either unwritten, retconned, or completely ignored that storyline. I'm guessing the later since nobody seems to give a shit about Toad enough to pay attention to his history.

I agree that his current appearance sucks but that seems to be par for the course when it comes to Wolverine and the X-Men. That series is in competition with Grant Morrison's run for being fuck ugly.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Teerack

@filthtrooper: In a few issues of X-Men Legacy and in an AvX tie in her was still green but super super skinny like he was made of bones and has a really big nose. Latter on in AvX his fat was made to look like he was stocky and buf, so I think no one cares enough about Toad to actually draw him correctly appose to how they want to. He's like Carol Danvers' hair.

Hell he even saved a few dozen mutants at one point and lost a finger doing it, but he's back to having 5 fingers on both hands because no one cares about him.

Ever since House of M I have been wishing they would made Toad a hero and cool and go with his House of M look.

No Caption Provided

Tatsu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tatsu666

@teerack: Well why not make your own fan fiction about him and build him how you see fit.

Also about his finger Toad has a healing factor, as Wolverine once cut his tongue from the base and his tongue is 30 foot long, and it healed/grow back within a day (sorry but I don't have scans of this), plus to me I think he (Toad) should look like Marvel's Junta Manuel Vicente when he hasn't got green skin.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.