Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8588 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thors fighting speed.

• 96 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those that havn't seen the words of the Senior Vice President of Marvel.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So? I wasnt talking to you. So what makes you think I care about what you do or do not care about?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By antithetical

You cared enough to point out you didn't care. Try not to get too bent out of shape over it, k?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You cared enough to point out you didn't care. Try not to get too bent out of shape over it, k?

you got mad and told me that you didnt care about something that i wasnt telling you about ? cool. i dont care.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Asgaard

@antithetical: Just ignore @sodamyat: he is just a Troll nothing more, we should just ignore all his posts because the content is always the same, his passive aggressive behavior can be seen by everyone... We just have to reduce him to his own Troll insignificance...

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: now, now, dont get in trouble so soon. Welcome to comicvine buddy.

strikesubmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By strikesubmit

@lvenger@w0nd@sodamyat:

while i don't disagree regarding handbooks, my point was people like to bring up one creator's opinion, but there have been differing opinions all around, as evidenced by Thor utilizing his combat speed when it mattered (I'm sure examples have already been posted).

also, don't you think that the aforementioned encounters were prone to PIS, or at the very least meant to push the story along? think about it, this is the same company that had Black Panther put Surfer in an armlock.

it's always been a david vs goliath thing at Marvel.

additionally, the way people talk about the Flash's or Superman's speed, makes you wonder why fights don't end in 1 to 2 panels...just sayin'

now, I don't really have a personal stake in this debate. Not a Thor person really (nor am I a DC or Marvel person, both have gotten ridiculous). I just like to play devil's advocate wherever I can.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strikesubmit: Could be PIS, but I go by what I have seen more, and I have honestly seen thor been hit more often then he does dodge to be honest. Maybe it's his ego believing he can tank the hit but he goes up and down from being manhandled, to being feared greatly

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Dextersinister

@asgaard said:

@antithetical: Just ignore @sodamyat: he is just a Troll nothing more, we should just ignore all his posts because the content is always the same, his passive aggressive behavior can be seen by everyone... We just have to reduce him to his own Troll insignificance...

He may be a troll but he's not wrong, at best Thor has feats on the level of skilled characters but not on the level of the really skilled like Batman and Cap

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By Cream_God

Oh god there are like 12 of these same exact threads

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@strikesubmit: Superman and Flash don't always end fights in less than a second with their speed because if they did, there'd be no story for the writers to create. There's no such restrictions on a battle forum debate because these kinds of arguments only concern a character's feats and showings in their issue appearances.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Asgaard

@dextersinister said:

@asgaard said:

He may be a troll but he's not wrong, at best Thor has feats on the level of skilled characters but not on the level of the really skilled like Batman and Cap

The mentioned user track record is not only from this topic or subject, but staying on the important part of your quote for this thread and acknowledging that i really don't care much for feats and the battle topics they are very subjective and pointless in my personal opinion... Angela is a very skilled and fast fighter, and Thor without Mjolnir did This...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

(Scans from Angela last 2 issues)

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

depends on writer

Erediore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu: thanks! finally someone... it isn't as if Thor hasn't high speed perceptions/reaction, there isn't low feats on that part, lazy writters (or bad writters) doesn't pay attention to all past accounts, not because they weren't valid, just that they don't do they homework or disregards Thor to not write him properly. So like you said, depends on writters.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MasterKungFu

@erediore: thor these days isn't written to be what he initially was meant to be

Erediore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu: exactly, I think it has to do with their lack of hability to write him properly and creatively appealing to his foundational basis and paying him respect, it's easier to them to write him battling as a brute.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erediore: initially thor was meant to be stronger than hulk, smarter than reed richards and the most powerful hero in all marvel, greater than the likes of silver surfer, dr strange, adam warlock etc

these days....well......you get the idea.....

Erediore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu: Don't know if smarter than Reed, but greater than Surfer he has been so far, the thing that has changed (in popular notion) is the thing regarding the strenght, Hulk has been proved to be enormously strong, but Thor in my opinion still hold greater strenght feats, yet the notion has changed due to popularity, hype, the chronical wank on Hulk and the chronical disregard for Thor.

Yeah those days passed by, two bankrupts made the deal, the writters who cared about the characters left and those who didn't care stayed, hope that as they have lots of money now, they raise the level in writting once again.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erediore said:

@masterkungfu: exactly, I think it has to do with their lack of hability to write him properly and creatively appealing to his foundational basis and paying him respect, it's easier to them to write him battling as a brute.

This is so f**king true and something I've thought about lately, all the powers and abilities he's been consistently shown to possess from past writers and now he's not portrayed much better than a juiced up meathead, especially since losing Mjolnir. Depending on writer he may or may not still have control over weather/lightning. One would think "yes" since that kind of what his god thing is all about, but Aaron especially seems to want to make him nothing but a muscle brained, axe wielding barbarian.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For today's writers it's easier to nerf powerful characters and showcase street-levelers because they don't have to worry at all about how to write a story around someone who is as powerful as Thor, Hulk, Silver Surfer etc. It fits with the common theme (which I find childish) of the underdog pulling it off against impossible odds. It's why you have the overused and tiresome plot-point of "Batman can beat Superman with PREP TIMEz and KRYPTONITE" that's been overdone to death. If it's done once it creates a pretty cool "shock value" moment but when it's done numerous times the powerful character looks like a total buffoon. The suspension of disbelief becomes even harder than believing a man can lift a mountain or punch a hole into a meteor or something, when a regular guy can actually cause harm to a godlike being.

Guys like Spider-Man, Wolverine and Captain America should have no business being pit against guys like Hulk, Thor and Silver Surfer.

Erediore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This^

@masterkungfu: yup man that's how it is, Aaron did a massive great job in God of Thunder, now he is steping a mile back with his decisions now.

@antithetical: thanks man, that's how it is, if you see his clash with Gorr or Glory, the things he did in classic time, when he was written for what he was meant to be. See the run on The Multiversal Avengers, the creator of the New Hyperion payed a hell of a lot of respect to Thor, and put them both as the last men standing against The Beyonders.

@haveatthee: indeed, and if they want to create OP characters.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

Yeah

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh well..........

leopryor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By leopryor

Yeah. I don't get why Thor is portrayed as having slow fighting speed either. Wonder Woman, for example. Being as much a warrior as Thor is, she has faster combat speed than even Superman, mainly because of what she said to him here:

"Certainly you have an advantage in raw speed, but you have to think before you respond. I'm a trained warrior. My reactions are in my muscle memory."

No Caption Provided

Based on this scan, if Diana is faster than Clark because of her combative muscle memory, then how come the same thing can't be applied to Thor, when both of them are the best trained warriors of their respective races? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This thread makes my pants tight.

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leopryor: this was debunked three issues later, when they needed supermans speed and reflexes to operate. wonder woman is NOT faster than superman, combat or raw speed wise. stop posting this garbage.

Avatar image for banethedestroyer
    BaneTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@welldone said:

@leopryor: this was debunked three issues later, when they needed supermans speed and reflexes to operate. wonder woman is NOT faster than superman, combat or raw speed wise. stop posting this garbage.

BaneTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never cared about Thor . He has always been a boring character .

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then why even post here other than to intentionally agitate people who do? Take the trolling somewhere else.

No Caption Provided

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@leopryor said:

Yeah. I don't get why Thor is portrayed as having slow fighting speed either. Wonder Woman, for example. Being as much a warrior as Thor is, she has faster combat speed than even Superman, mainly because of what she said to him here:

"Certainly you have an advantage in raw speed, but you have to think before you respond. I'm a trained warrior. My reactions are in my muscle memory."

No Caption Provided

Based on this scan, if Diana is faster than Clark because of her combative muscle memory, then how come the same thing can't be applied to Thor, when both of them are the best trained warriors of their respective races? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Wonder Woman is incredibly fast. Superspeed is one of her superpowers. The point is that she is fast enough to be close to Superman where her training kicks in.

Thor is something else entirely. Even if we used only his HIGHEST END feats. He is not fast enough to react to Superman.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@banethedestroyer said:

Then why even post here other than to intentionally agitate people who do? Take the trolling somewhere else.

No Caption Provided

This guy under his new account is probably ShaoKhan1 who lost his bridge.

No Caption Provided

BaneTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banethedestroyer: Whatever, all I'm saying is if you don't care for Thor perhaps you'd be better off focusing on the characters you DO like and NOT bothering us here.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy under his new account is probably ShaoKhan1 who lost his bridge.

No Caption Provided

I doth say even Ulik hast more honor!

leopryor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@welldone: My apologies. I didn't know. No need to be rude.

leopryor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@banethedestroyer said:

Why are you here then? Just leave.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is slow

FableCounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends on the writers

Biggest_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is not light speed if that's what you believe by speed, but he is surely fast

No Caption Provided

Reacts to lasers, whether you see this as light speed or not is up to you but most lasers

No Caption Provided

Tags Angela who before that was reacting to attacks as fast of lightning and reacted to actual lightning

He is quick enough to grab Quicksilver while on the ground.

Fast enough to deflect bullets.

No Caption Provided

Fast enough to evade tank missiles, who can go faster than sound

Speed of a Missile

No Caption Provided

Fast enough to react to Silver Sufer's energy blast, and he is fast and skilled enough to hit Quicksilver.

Thought Thor is not light speed he is very easily faster than sound.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this help?

No Caption Provided

Spinning at super speed in "tornado form" and showing after images like what Superman or the Flash do, pretty sure if Thorina can do this then Thor can do it too-after all they do share the same or at least similar powers

Ganstaz003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Define 'fighting speed'. If by 'fighting speed', you're referring to the speed at which someone throws punches and kicks, then Thor is relatively slow in comparison to the likes of Justice League powerhouses, such as Superman, Flash and etc. A lot of it is down to style, training, preference and so forth so on. Characters like Flash and Superman have to train their punches and kicking abilities as they aren't as versatile as Thor, in terms of power. Therefore, they're better trained at punching and kicking, not just faster but more effectively as well overall. Thor can afford the luxury of not needing to be good at punching and kicking, due to his other versatile powers. It appears to me that the bodies of characters like Flash and Superman are adapted to be good at punching and kicking as well.

This is why, Thor's other abilities and powers mean that punching and kicking abilities are irrelevant and not required. When talking about combat abilities and styles of characters like Silver Surfer or Thor, think of them like fighter planes or jets. A fighter plane and a fighter jet can't punch or kick at all. Whereas a world champion kick boxer on the ground can punch and kick, very fast as well. The question is, just because the fighter plane can't punch and kick whilst the kick boxer on the ground can, does that mean it'd have any relevance or significance in a battle between a fighter plane and that kick boxer? I undoubtedly don't think so! A fighter plane doesn't need to punch and kick at all, never mind fast to win a battle against a kick boxer who can kick and punch fast. A fighter plane has various other weapons to destroy the kick boxer who could punch and kick fast. Such as firearms, projectiles, ballistics and etc.

Having said all of that, a fighter plane / jet does have its own speed as well, applied in different ways. It might not be able to use speed when punching and kicking as it can't punch and kick at all, but it has speed which can be applied in different ways. For example, a fighter plane / jet has to fly fast. It has to turn and maneuver fast. It has to react fast. It has to launch offensive weapons and defensive countermeasures fast and so forth so on. So speed is still required for the fighter plane / jet, but not in the context of punching and kicking speed.

All the above things that I mentioned about what a fighter plane / jet needs its speed for, a lot of those also apply to Thor as well. Thor, like a fighter plane / jet, can fly fast, can maneuver fast, can launch attacks fast, can defend fast and has very fast reaction times. These are what Thor needs his speed for and he has them in abundance. So in this context, Thor is undoubtedly fast!

It's a fallacy to think that Thor needs fast punching and kicking speed, if he is able to beat characters like Superman or Flash in combat. He really doesn't to punch and kick at all to beat those characters, the same way a fighter plane / jet doesn't need to punch and kick at all to beat a kick boxer on the ground. Fast punching and kicking speed aren't a prerequisite to win a battle, except if it's stipulated to be.

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compared to this:

No Caption Provided

or this:

No Caption Provided

Siddharth123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alligatian: That is Silver age superman who is fater than infinite speed😂

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.