Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8592 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor, slow or fast?

LoudCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LoudCloud

Some comics say he can swing his hammer at twice the speed of light (when his strength is halved). But others say he's too slow when fighting characters like Spiderman and Wolverine.

So, which one is it? Any Thor experts know the reason for this?

And while we're on this topic, what's Thor's running/flying, reaction and hammer-swing speed?

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tons of threads but I'll some it up to you. It all depends on the writer.
    Though recently he hasn't been giving much "combat speed" feats. (Combat speed are what dc and anime lobbyist cling too not realizing how illogical it can be. he can travel on solar winds at lightyear speed our human eyes can't even see him coming so there is no way someone like wolverine should dodge his blow)

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Fallschirmjager

travel speed - light speed

combat speed - slow. Spider-Man is faster on a consistent basis.

Marvel doesn't really care about speed in combat though. DC usually emphasizes speed (especially among top tier heroes). This even seems to extend to movies to a lesser extent.

That is why every thread ends up in flame wars.

Personally I'm on the side that says speed matters. In real life and in comics. Asking just about any professional sport if speed matters. Boxing, UFC, Football, Basketball...whatever. Speed matters.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Alak

My opinion is that Thor's running speed is superhuman due to his strength, but it's definitely not "speedster" level. He's one of the fastest fliers (straight line travel) in the Marvel Universe. His reaction speed is pretty average, and I'd say it's on par with a regular human with combat training but nothing indicative of superhuman. Hammer swing speed is incredibly fast but that's a combination of his immense physical strength, centripetal force, and the magical properties of Mjolnir.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Fast but he isn't like Flash fast or silver surfer fast, but he is fast.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I'm on the side that says speed matters. In real life and in comics. Asking just about any professional sport if speed matters. Boxing, UFC, Football, Basketball...whatever. Speed matters.

Speed is important, no one denies that, but it's not the only factor like some would seem to think on this board. Funny thing in all those activities you mentioned, speed is not the most important factor in any of them.

Boxing - Conditioning, UFC - Conditioning, Football - power/strength or skill (depending on position), Basketball - skill

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@green_skaar: Speed is the only thing you can't account for with anything but more speed.

You can condition yourself to keep up with the other guy.

Football is also not about power or strength or skill. Its about leverage. Leverage to beat your blocker, leverage to block the other guy. Leverage to take the angle and make a tackle. Leverage to beat the DB/WR and win the route.

If the other guy is faster than you, you can't do anything about it.

I didn't say it was the only factor, but its something you can't counter unless you have hax abilities or equal speed.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By green_skaar

@green_skaar: Speed is the only thing you can't account for with anything but more speed.

You can condition yourself to keep up with the other guy.

Football is also not about power or strength or skill. Its about leverage. Leverage to beat your blocker, leverage to block the other guy. Leverage to take the angle and make a tackle. Leverage to beat the DB/WR and win the route.

If the other guy is faster than you, you can't do anything about it.

I didn't say it was the only factor, but its something you can't counter unless you have hax abilities or equal speed.

Do you even watch MMA? I ask since you brought up UFC and it's the closest sport to compare to fights. Conditioning followed by skill (in old days skill was first) are both more important than speed in UFC. Again speed is important, but you just have to be "fast enough" to win, not always needing to be as fast or faster.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@green_skaar: Yes I do.

I didn't say it was the most important. I said the only way to beat speed is more speed - especially when the differences are huge (as in comics).

Comparing 2 humans is negligible, our speeds aren't so glaringly different - and even then its still important in sports. In comics, speed levels can vary between two guys so much its ridiculous.

And UFC is a caged match. 99.9% of battle threads, aren't.

I probably shouldn't have made the comparison in the first place, because it doesn't compare. I was just pointing out how speed is important in every competition.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@green_skaar: Yes I do.

I didn't say it was the most important. I said the only way to beat speed is more speed - especially when the differences are huge (as in comics).

Comparing 2 humans is negligible, our speeds aren't so glaringly different - and even then its still important in sports. In comics, speed levels can vary between two guys so much its ridiculous.

And UFC is a caged match. 99.9% of battle threads, aren't.

I probably shouldn't have made the comparison in the first place, because it doesn't compare. I was just pointing out how speed is important in every competition.

I disagree. There are other ways around speed, both in real life and in comics. But I think we are in agreement, speed is important but it's one of many factors: strength, durability, strategy, skill, heart/will, weapons, other abilities, etc.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@green_skaar: If I can hit you and you can't hit me, and all other things are even or near even - I win.

That doesn't mean Flash beats everyone either, btw.

If I can get off the snap before you do and gain leverage, I win. If i can out run you to the basket and blow by the defense, I win. etc. There are numerous examples.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The best way to describe it is inconsistent.

He has some fast and slow feats but comicvine only remembers the slow ones, and never lets you forget about them.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By THORSON

people only use speed to put down THOR and to troll THOR fans.

its either THOR haters say "thor can only fight with his hammer" or "hulk/superman is stronger" or "thor is slow" or post scan of "hulk/superman beating THOR"

THOR has the highest hate fan base than another other character. people hate characters that they don't understand.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HaveAtThee

As with anything, especially concerning powerful characters, it all depends on the writer.

Thurdazz1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor isn't slow, his combat reactions & raw speed feats show a consistent super speed base Thor has many combat feats That Rival Darkseid of DC, who never zips around or even flies But no one questions his speed. That being said spider man has never out sped the real Thor ,He did speed blitz Eric Masterson Thor who had replaced Thor & had his Powers & Strength, But none of his combat Skill or experience(Masterson was clumsy ,slow, & unskilled), In the Wolverine fight Wolverine Thought he was Fighting Sabertooth he was going all out, Thor knew he was fighting Wolverine he was holding back(as presented in that comic) That is the basis for Thor being slow That & a scan of Eric Masterson Thor being called slow & clumsy by Captain America(as I explained above ,not the real Thor), Now Beyond terrible Writing ,which happens to all Characters. & comparing Humans to super heroes is just silly. Another basis for Thor being slow is against mortal opponents Thor restrains his full Power & Abilities, Thor has stated many times in his title/book & other books like the Avengers he sometimes allows Battles to go longer Than they should out of fear of accidentally Killing /murdering a Mortal (whose he has sworn to protect)

No Caption Provided

Thor's Travel Powers & Flight Speed, In Atmosphere Thor has reached Mach 32, In space reached 3X light speed & can enter Hyperspace w/ multiplies speed by Hundred even millions of times. Thor can also Teleport, The Hammer By itself reached the edge of the universe & returned in under 60 seconds. Mjolnir can swing at many times light speed, Has Caught & battled Beings & ships traveling at light speed & in Hyper space

Thor's speed, Its been stated Thor running at super Speed(undefined), swimming faster than the fastest fish, On more than one occasions Thor matched the speed of Mjolnir, in context of those books was faster than Quicksilver could react/move, matched speed of Count Nefia who speed blitzed & defeated The Avengers in a single attack in that book. Also stated more than once as having the ability to moving faster than can be seen

Combat Reactions/Speed: Thor Has Deflected Speed Blitz Attacks from Hyperion, Sentry, Iron Man, Silver Surfer . Thor can not only react at/to super speed he can See/perceive beings moving at Super speed, Saw & reacted to Mercury/Hermes God of speed when the other Avengers couldn't see him. Thor has Caught That same God twice while he was running, He also caught Zefra "new Goddess of Speed", Knocking Silver Surfer off his Board at speed.

So beyond Bad writing or an obvious restraint storyline ,Thor has show Through out his comic existence a consistent baseline ability to Move & react at super Speeds

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@thorson said:

people only use speed to put down THOR and to troll THOR fans.

its either THOR haters say "thor can only fight with his hammer" or "hulk/superman is stronger" or "thor is slow" or post scan of "hulk/superman beating THOR"

THOR has the highest hate fan base than another other character. people hate characters that they don't understand.

And I thought Superman had the most haters! - do people really hate Thor? Thought most people liked or where indifferent. Anyway my own personal view is that only mjolnir has super speed, so the hammer swings at mega watts and Thor flies at hyper speed with mjolnir, but without the hammer he does not seem to have the combat speed of say, Superman. I think his fights with the likes of Hulk back this up, because they always end up as slugfests and you don't see Thor avoiding too many punches. Of course I am a fairly new fan of Thor, so I am sure there is someone out there with scans who can prove otherwise!

Thurdazz1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thurdazz1313
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Actually in fights w/ the Hulk Thor dodges a lot of punches & lands more ,same when he fights a lot of Marvels big hitters, It also follow the misconception that the Hulk is slow, even though he has caught/deflected many speedsters. Now that Thor Like most powerhouse characters can take a shot & he knows it , Characters Like Thor,Hulk,Hercules ,&Superman all start off fighting like brawlers(all are overconfident) But in battles where Thor actually starts taking damage you see Thor fall back on a more skilled approach to combat or he unleashes more powerful attacks, But where talking about fighting. When Thor fought Juggernaut the 1st time, He sent Juggernaut to another dimension , Thor had to retrieve Him , Shutting off Juggernauts Force Field Thor Dominates him w/out Mjolnir, When Thor temporary replacement Eric Masterson Who had Thor's Strength & Mjolnir, attacked Thor , Thor not wishing to harm/fight Masterson simply dodges his attacks. Thor's Battle w/ The High Evolutionery's New God's Juvan , Thor dodges & counter Throws Him. Having problems w/ my scans will try to post Hulk scans again But heres a scan of Thor dodging & slamming Hela Asgardian Goddess of Death & slamming Hercules in a couple of there many battles & in the last scan Thor fights Fenris & loki at same time, Dominating them both even though they also possessed URU, magical Hammers & Thor was without Mjolnir

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thurdazz1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thurdazz1313

I'm back, as I was writing & I wrote in a previous post , Thor has combat reactions That rival Darkseid of DC & the Hulks speed is underated so battling the Hluk doesn't make you slow or unskilled, But here are a couple of Thor vs Hulk scans

No Caption Provided

But I've also brought up how Thor always hold back against The Hulk & most mortal opponents as in the scan were when Thor levels the Hulk states he regrets the pain he must bring & seems to enjoy his Battles/rivalry against The Jade Giant in the second scan were he claims to not grow angry but he's savoring that battle . In Thor's rematch against The Red Hulk "RULK" (terrible stories) Thor attacks the Red Hulk & after knocking off balance smashes Red Hulks Knee, then staggers Rulk w/ a counter punch, Thor has used the Knee smash combo attack against Multiple power houses, in his comic career including The original Hulk, Orca, Desak, & many others. Yes he's using Mjolnir ,But it's a demonstration of skill beyond brawling . Now. I purposely showed scans from "Classic to modern Thor "showing a consistent Fighting style/feats through out Thor's comic books existence

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for alessandro_souzamarques
    alessandro_souzamarques

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, people like to say Thor is slow just because of two low showings while Thor has way more consistent super speed feats.

Thor low showings:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thor's super speed feats:

Thor easily swatted away Hyperion, after Hyperion attempted to blitz Thor. Hyperion is Superman's equal.

No Caption Provided

Thor also swatted away a bloodlusted Sentry, when the same tried to blitz him.

No Caption Provided

Gladiator, to be able to blitz Thor throws half a building at Thor's direction. On the third panel while Gladiator is already approaching Thor( you can see Gladiator hands appearing from the side of the panel), just a few feets away, Thor strikes that half of the building before Gladiator can reach him, when Gladiator is just a few inches away Thor strikes it again and completely destroys it before Gladiator can reach for him. Thor yet turned around and was about to strike Gladiator but, Gladiator was able punch Mjolnir off Thor's hands before he could. Gladiator was high confident in this fight and this was a more powerful Gladiator that was sent from the future by Zarrko to try to kill Thor before he became King Thor and ruled over the world. Gladiator with high confidence > Superman.

No Caption Provided

So... Captain America said Thor is slow?

Adam Warlock, someone who can actually perceive things going at FTL speed said something a bit different:

No Caption Provided

Captures with his cape Zefra who is Hypersonic+.

No Caption Provided

Thor shows that he is actually faster than Quicksilver, stopping him on his track when he tried to run away from Thor(Quicksilver was already running when Thor decided to do something) and isolates everyone with a trench before anyone could escape.

No Caption Provided

Thor once gave a beating on both Loki and Fenrir, blitzing them both at the same time. Loki is said to be faster than a thought. Note that Thor hit them so fast that his hands started smoldering (note also that Fenrir was attacking him by surprise, Thor just connected a blow before Fenrir could). Thor was even weakened at this time.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Mjölnir is fast enough to outrace Silver Surfer while he was going at top speed trying to catch Mjölnir, while RETURNING to Thor's hand...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thor casually moves out of it's way while RETURNING to his hands. Mjolnir was about a few inches from his face when he saw it coming.

No Caption Provided

Thurdazz1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree in my first post I brought up the Wolverine fight which was more about Thor holding back Than being slow & mongoose in context of That story arch Had his powers & strength boosted by the High Evolutionary To specifically fight Thor, In previous battles mongoose was easily bested by Spiderman & in later encounters Thor defeated mongoose in this one battle Mongoose holds his own against both of them( Because he was Boosted) & Cap never said the real Thor was slow, Cap was talking about Eric Masterson(Thor) who had Thor's strength, Durability, & Mjolnir But none of Thor's combat experience ,in the beginning Masterson couldn't even fly without crashing

No Caption Provided

This is Captain America w/ Masterson (Thor) on the left Masterson was (at this time) slow & clumsy His reference To The Real Thor was in the predecessor context The 1st time the "Real Thor" did this drill he summoned lightning destroying the drones .

The scan Below Masterson(Thor) Tries to hit the real Thor after Masterson had months of training under Cap & Hercules, Even w/ Mjolnir Masterson can't land a shot & another example of Thor's restraint

No Caption Provided

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

travel speed - light speed

combat speed - slow. Spider-Man is faster on a consistent basis.

Marvel doesn't really care about speed in combat though. DC usually emphasizes speed (especially among top tier heroes). This even seems to extend to movies to a lesser extent.

That is why every thread ends up in flame wars.

Ok, wrap it up boys, we can all go home.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is fast enough to keep up with speedsters. Buff said.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dum529001

Here's plenty of more scans showing Thor moving faster than lightning and faster than light.

Here, we see Thor flying outside a window and when Jane Foster gets his attention, Thor manages to intercept Cobra's poison dart within a split-second. The dart is fired before he even is inside the room, just to give you the proper frame of reference to understand the speed and reflexes necessary in Journey Into Mystery #98:

No Caption Provided

Thor digs a trench in a blur of motion that is "almost too fast for the human eye to follow." FromMarvel Team-Up #26:

No Caption Provided

And here, while helping rebuild Asgard, Thor hammers down repeatedly on a pillar and "becomes a blur of motion" in Thor #267:

No Caption Provided

Thor's reflexes have always allowed to react at lightning speeds faster than the human eye can perceive.Even in a hail of attacks or debris. There's something about this feat is that Thor speed and moves faster than the sight of Heimdall , a god endowed with super-senses , able to hear the grass grow, the sap running in the trees or the beating of the wings of a butterfly on the other side of the galaxy and whose eyes see light years away. Whatever the case, the fineness of Heimdall's senses are greater than those of any being.

Here, Thor fights Heimdall and swings his hammer down on him at speeds "moving too swiftly for the eye to follow," even too fast for Heimdall in Journey Into Mystery#125:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Here, Hela only has to touch Thor in order to ensnare his soul in 1v1 combat, but is unable to do so because of his speed, "His speed, his anger, are beyond comprehension!" From Thor #354:

No Caption Provided

Here, while fending off two Herald-level foes, Adam Warlock likens his ability to catch his staff mid-swing and his combat speed to that of lightning, "He moves like the lightning he commands, much quicker than I remember." From Infinity Watch #23:

No Caption Provided

Here, in the space of one and one-fifth seconds, Thor dives out of the sky, smashes Mjolnir down and causes a supersonic shockwave to divert a runaway truck from killing a young boy ACROSS the city in Journey Into Mystery #108:

No Caption Provided

Here, in the space of micro-seconds before a zooming cursed Mjolnir will strike Thor from behind, Thor lays a haymaker onto an Enchanter and spins around in time to snatch Mjolnir in mid-air, from Thor #144:

No Caption Provided

Here, Thor is about to have his face smashed by a cursed Mjolnir which is zooming back to him, but he moves swiftly enough on reaction to dodge it inThor vol. 2 #27:

No Caption Provided

Thor has dug a ditch so fast that neither Quicksilver was valoz enough to escape it (Quicksilver was already in motion before Thor has started digging the trench).

No Caption Provided

Thor punks Quicksilver once again:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thor reacts to Wrecker swinging his mystic crowbar onto Thor's head from behind. Literally only inches away, Thor moves so swiftly once again, he snatches the crowbar with his hand in Thor vol. 2 #29:

No Caption Provided

And it looks like current Thor hasn't lost that bare-handed touch as he catches Bor's axe inches from his face inThor #600:

No Caption Provided

With his great speed, without the use of his natural control over the weather, he can create winds of hurricane force or greater- than-hurricane-force air shockwaves in Journey Into Mystery #100 and #84:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Here, he literally snatches a fired tank shell out of mid-air with his bare hand and bats a barrage of them back in Journey Into Mystery #93:

No Caption Provided

And similarly snatches a fired missile with his bare hand in Marvel Team-Up #148:

No Caption Provided

Here, with FTB speed, he deflects two bullets with a single swing way back in Journey Into Mystery #100:

No Caption Provided

Here, he blocks a single bullet with the head of Mjolnir before whirling it to create a field in Thor#246:

No Caption Provided

And many times again...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Here, Thor flings Mjolnir to the farthest reaches of the galaxy in Thor: Whom The Gods Would Destroy:

No Caption Provided

And he can fling the hammer many times the speed of light and transcend the boundaries of time and space inThor #392-393, Thor #140 and Thor #274:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

As for FTL reactions that can be measured in nanoseconds (light travels one foot per nanosecond), he's swung and swatted away Blastaar's energy blasts inThor #270:

No Caption Provided

Far from a one-off FTL feat, he does the same to Mole Man's energy blaster shot in Marvel Two-In-One #96:

No Caption Provided

Here, Enchantress shoots a blast at Captain America and Thor reacts with FTL speed to cut off the energy blast in mid-flight, from Marvel Comics Presents#44:

Thor can spin Mjolnlr around fast enough to shield himself from lasers, from Thor #218:

No Caption Provided

Phoenix shoots a telepathic blast at a groggy Thor at the moment Thor's arms are at his side. AFTER the shot is fired and already traveling at him, Thor raises his arms and reflects it back with Mjolnir. Telepathy being instantaneous traditionally (as noted in the narration), we can assume for the sake of argument that it was only traveling at light-speed, making this another FTL feat, fromExcalibur#428:

No Caption Provided

He can even block a constant barrage of laser vision from Count Nefaria, from Avengers #166:

No Caption Provided

He bats away a possessed Iron Man's repulsor rays in Avengers vol. 3 #3:

No Caption Provided

And again bats away ray blasts in a training session in Avengers vol. 3 #23:

No Caption Provided

and again......

No Caption Provided

Mjolnir also allows for simulated flight whereby when thrown it could pull it's wielder along. Basically, Thor flies by flinging his hammer really hard and then hanging on for ride:

No Caption Provided

And no matter what, it's been explained that "Thor can always control the course of his flight," fromThor #400:

No Caption Provided

In terms of flight speed, he's flown at least three times the speed of light, from Thor #185:

No Caption Provided

Thor has trapped Hermes the god of speed, and well, that's just say that ... but are spears spears thrown by gods thousands of times stronger than any human, imagine how fast would travel those spears =).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

During the saga of Surtur , commissioned by Nick Fury (Nick Fury), Thor reached and surpassed in speed to a spaceship traveling at a speed came many times that of Light and even outside our solar system, Thor increase their 100 times speed to overtake the ship.

No Caption Provided

Travels from Earth to Sun in a matter of moments:

No Caption Provided

Saves Rulk from a Black Hole(ANOTHER FTL feat):

No Caption Provided

Thor intercepted Ego whom was moving at hyperspace speeds:

No Caption Provided

Catches Ego again after getting shot at by Stranger:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Skyfather Thor blasts Gorr several lightyears and both Thors catch up relatively quick.

No Caption Provided

Thor flying without Mjolnir.

No Caption Provided

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Fast as shown in some occasions. Marvel doesn't dwindle much in this kinda stuff like DC does.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Experio

@alessandro_souzamarques said:

Well, people like to say Thor is slow just because of two low showings while Thor has way more consistent super speed feats.

Thor low showings:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thor easily swatted away Hyperion, after Hyperion attempted to blitz Thor. Hyperion is Superman's equal.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Gladiator, to be able to blitz Thor throws half a building at Thor's direction. On the third panel while Gladiator is already approaching Thor( you can see Gladiator hands appearing from the side of the panel), just a few feets away, Thor strikes that half of the building before Gladiator can reach him, when Gladiator is just a few inches away, Thor strikes it again and completely destroys it, before Gladiator can reach for him. Thor yet turned around and was about to strike Gladiator, but Gladiator was able punch Mjolnir off Thor's hands before he could. Gladiator was high confident in this fight and this was a more powerful Gladiator that was sent from the future by Zarrko to try to kill Thor before he became King Thor and ruled over the world. Gladiator with high confidence > Superman.

No Caption Provided

Adam Warlock, someone who can actually perceive things going at FTL speed said something a bit different:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Thor shows that he is actually faster than Quicksilver, stopping him on his track when he tried to run away from Thor(Quicksilver was already running when Thor decided to do something) and isolates everyone with a trench before anyone could escape.

No Caption Provided

Thor once gave a beating on both Loki and Fenrir, blitzing them both at the same time. Loki is said to be faster than a thought. Note that Thor hit them so fast that his hands started smoldering (note also that Fenrir was attacking him by surprise, Thor just connected a blow before Fenrir could). Thor was even weakened at this time.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Mjölnir is fast enough to outrace Silver Surfer while he was going at top speed trying to catch Mjölnir , while RETURNING to Thor's hand...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Thor casually moves out of it's way while RETURNING to his hands. Mjolnir was about a few inches from his face when he saw it coming.

No Caption Provided

Nice presenting man, couldn't have said it my-self

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alessandro_souzamarques:

Thor low showings:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Gladiator, to be able to blitz Thor throws half a building at Thor's direction. On the third panel while Gladiator is already approaching Thor( you can see Gladiator hands appearing from the side of the panel), just a few feets away, Thor strikes that half of the building before Gladiator can reach him, when Gladiator is just a few inches away Thor strikes it again and completely destroys it before Gladiator can reach for him. Thor yet turned around and was about to strike Gladiator but, Gladiator was able punch Mjolnir off Thor's hands before he could. Gladiator was high confident in this fight and this was a more powerful Gladiator that was sent from the future by Zarrko to try to kill Thor before he became King Thor and ruled over the world. Gladiator with high confidence > Superman.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Mjölnir is fast enough to outrace Silver Surfer while he was going at top speed trying to catch Mjölnir, while RETURNING to Thor's hand...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

There are more:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he's fast.

i remember in earth's mightest heros when avengers were fighting Kang.

When THOR jumped out of the ship, Iron Man said "WOW I never seen THOR move that fast". This to me implies THOR can move really fast when necessary. (depending on the plot)

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..I think Thor can move fast, mainly through flight, but you don't see him speedblitz, i.e. multiple split second punches or do super fast evasive manouvers like Flash, Superman etc do consistently. Its one of the reasons DC fans feel confident against Thor in battle threads. Mind you his power-set more than compensates and that hammer spins fast enough for most!!

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dum529001

@bezza said:

..I think Thor can move fast, mainly through flight, but you don't see him speedblitz, i.e. multiple split second punches or do super fast evasive manouvers like Flash, Superman etc do consistently. Its one of the reasons DC fans feel confident against Thor in battle threads. Mind you his power-set more than compensates and that hammer spins fast enough for most!!

Excpet the speedblitz isnt special since anyone can do it. Its just punching something repeatedely without stopping for a moment.

Thor has shown to be very powerful . He strikes very fast and so do his rivals.

Hercules rarely has to use fighting skills because he is so much stronger than others but when he does.....

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tons of threads but I'll some it up to you. It all depends on the writer.

Though recently he hasn't been giving much "combat speed" feats. (Combat speed are what dc and anime lobbyist cling too not realizing how illogical it can be. he can travel on solar winds at lightyear speed our human eyes can't even see him coming so there is no way someone like wolverine should dodge his blow)

^

also According to Surfer Thor is faster than him.

also it just comes down to the writing sometimes he's flying around FTL blasting people across multiple light years and then catching up to them in no time. Sometimes he's not as fast as wolverine....

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001:

Great Herc scans, that story is it from , WWH?

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Transverse speed: Slow

Combat speed: Hypersonic or roughly above

Travel speed: Many times FTL

Avatar image for supermankingofheroes
    supermankingofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loudcloud:

Thor is as slow as clouds

Slowdinson

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/111336/3964953-3160079944-38674.jpg

The remedial silver age feats are long gone .the current writers wisely ignore them .

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
    AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loudcloud:

Thor is as slow as clouds

Slowdinson

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/111336/3964953-3160079944-38674.jpg

The remedial silver age feats are long gone .the current writers wisely ignore them .

Flash can tell superman that he is slow as clouds and rightfully so, but you'd never call supes slow right? He didn't mean literally as slow as clouds, there are far more than enough instances of Thor moving faster than clouds to disprove that instance.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By RealityWarper

In fight : Fast.

With his wife : Slow ( The worse I wish to him )

Avatar image for supermankingofheroes
    supermankingofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianxeno929:

1) originator of post has cloud in his/ her handle

2) thor is brick speed and the writer of the comic called him " slow as clouds "

3) superman 52 is ftl reaction and combat .

http://i.imgur.com/gRS52uL.jpg

Sup 52 who was fighting a alien stated " even the flash can't sneak up on me like that "

So no one logical would ever call superman slow as clouds including the flash .

Fin

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
    AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AsgardianXeno929

@asgardianxeno929:

1) originator of post has cloud in his/ her handle

2) thor is brick speed and the writer of the comic called him " slow as clouds "

3) superman 52 is ftl reaction and combat .

http://i.imgur.com/gRS52uL.jpg

Sup 52 who was fighting a alien stated " even the flash can't sneak up on me like that "

So no one logical would ever call superman slow as clouds including the flash .

Fin

1) what? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

2) This thread proves there is more for thor being fast than slow, and the writer didn't call him slow, the character did. Spiderman said morlun hits harder than hulk, which is clearly false. Statements =/= fact. We also have no clue how fast that guy was, he was barely in the comic, he could have had femptosecond reaction time as far as we know.

3) I never said he wasnt, Flash is far faster than superman, my point isn't that supes is slow. I said that flash could call superman slow as clouds, and that wouldn't mean supes is slow, the character was trying to be insulting, he hated the "old gods" which are asgardians in that situation. Dr. Doom calls everyone his inferior but there's plenty of people that can and do beat him. Like i said, it has nothing to do with being "logical" when trash talking the opponent, Flash is so much faster than superman that superman might as well be moving as fast as clouds compared to flash, Thor clearly moves faster than clouds or else he'd be unable to hit anyone ever without them avoiding it, or be able to deflect bullets/catch missiles/ etc, which is clearly not the case. I could call you a poopy head because we have different views and that wouldn't mean your head is made of poop (unless it is, in which i'm totally supportive haha).

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Thor's reflexes are near peak human. He's not slow among humans, but he is among the superpowered folk.

mjolnirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Travel speed: faster than hell.

Combat speed: Not jobbing or against Immortals: very fast not as LS or FTL but really close. Against Mortals or Jobbing: He is a turtle.

People who say that Thor is slow is because they do not like or do not know about him... point.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LeeSensei

Every character has low end feats. Thor when written to his full potential is many times faster than the speed of light.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By Claymore1998

I think this question asked to Marvel Editor would be useful

No Caption Provided

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: How can his reaction and combat speeds be peak human when he has repeatedly nailed surfer in combat even from large distances? Thor is capable of greatly amping his combat speed when it is required and has been doing so for decades.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Microsecond range, he can't throw multiple punches or move around like many speedsters but he can react and counter to many of them.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@spambot said:

@comicstooge: How can his reaction and combat speeds be peak human when he has repeatedly nailed surfer in combat even from large distances? Thor is capable of greatly amping his combat speed when it is required and has been doing so for decades.

Because Surfer's a notorious jobber when it comes to speed?

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this question asked to Marvel Editor would be useful

No Caption Provided

Tom Bevroot is an editor, not a writer. What he says does not magically wipe away what the writers do. Tom Bevroot's word is not necessarily always law when it comes to comics.

Denying Thor's speed means you are either blind or you don't know Thor very well.

During the saga of Surtur , commissioned by Nick Fury (Nick Fury), Thor reached and surpassed in speed to a spaceship traveling at a speed came many times that of Light and even outside our solar system, Thor increase their 100 times speed to overtake the ship.

No Caption Provided

Travels from Earth to Sun in a matter of moments:

No Caption Provided

Saves Rulk from a Black Hole(ANOTHER FTL feat):

No Caption Provided

Thor intercepted Ego whom was moving at hyperspace speeds:

No Caption Provided

Catches Ego again after getting shot at by Stranger:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Skyfather Thor blasts Gorr several lightyears and both Thors catch up relatively quick.

No Caption Provided

Thor flying without Mjolnir.

No Caption Provided

He could also make swirling force-fields powerful enough that even the Savage Hulk couldn't get past inJourney Into Mystery #112:

No Caption Provided

He uses it again in a fight with Absorbing man in Journey Into Mystery #114-15:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

gggggg

often during time travelling or time freez or opening time vortex he uses hammar spin or himself spinning.. which speeds axceeds ftl speed... and he have fairly used the hammer spin speed in the fight too

No Caption Provided

at the time of force teleportation

No Caption Provided

Thor vs Mongoose in The Mighty Thor #391:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hulksmashlittleman
    HULKSMASHLITTLEMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is the slowest there is ! . Flash and Superman would make thor look like a fool .

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read Cap and the Mighty Avengers third issue. In it Captain America says Spidey is too fast for Thor to fight. I would post the page but I think that's against the rules now.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

He has fast travel speed and exponentially slow combat speed.

/thread.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By uugieboogie

Travel speed: faster than hell.

Combat speed: Not jobbing or against Immortals: very fast not as LS or FTL but really close. Against Mortals or Jobbing: He is a turtle.

People who say that Thor is slow is because they do not like or do not know about him... point.

This is exactly right!!!!!

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.