Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor Odinson and Secret Wars...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So after New Avengers issue #32 events is Thor really dead? The only comic book where he was mentioned (Avengers World #21), events Link are before times runs out (Hickman, Avengers and New Avengers), and Aaron said in his last interview that Ultimate Thor will be the lead for the Secret Wars Book Thors (0.0% of interest in this book)...

For me comics are always comics and like i said i have no interest in Secret Wars, but i'm pretty sure that he didn't die in the battle with the Beyonders, and will be in Secret Wars, where he can definitely die, but what do you guys think?

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well he aint dead for sure.. but hope thor and hyperion comes back with a bang! :) fave marvel now characters ! gotta give it to hickman for doing a good job!

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By antithetical

@asgaard: You weren't the only one to mention Aaron focusing on Ultimate Thor for the SW tie-in book. That has me a bit concerned they may have him as the "Odinson" going forward since the Ultimate universe more closely relates to the MCU idea of magic as advanced technology. I certainly hope that isn't the case but if they did that, they would be able to keep Jane as Thordis in possession of the only remaining artifact of 616 Asgard and Ultimate universe Thor and Asgard as just another stupid alien race, no better than the Skrulls or Kree, nothing to distinguish them as unique or different.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i don't think Thor can die because if he dies the hammer goes with him and that means no old king Thor and no Thordis.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4: I really don't see where you get the idea if Thor died Mjolnir would disappear or cease to exist, it's a physical object and would still be around even if he wasn't, unless it was destroyed with him. Mjolnir was sitting in a field outside Broxton after Thor died at the end of the Fear Itself event, so that kind of disproves your statement.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a big deal. Thor will be back and will be Thor eventually. No chance in hell Marvel Studios ever decided to suddenly turn Thor into a chick. Moviegoers would laugh that one out of existence.

As for the comics, this is like any other temporary change that wont last. They're going to run with this Secret Wars crap for a few months, and then Marvel will look basically like Marvel again with a few new characters and perhaps some new settings and continuity.

That "Thors" book sounds pretty idiotic. A police force in space made up of different "Thors" from different universes? That's approaching Clone Wars Saga levels of futility.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't think SW is going to end up having the big effect they are saying on the MU. It will be a way to take some books/characters off the board or on a new path, but for some it is obvious they are ending on storylines in some books that have to be continued if they want sales to remain (Thor, Angela, Captain America...etc). The world may change some, but for the big push titles I feel they will stay pre-SW status for the most part with the characters having side-reactions to what changes actually stick to the world around them. The story of proper-Thor and Roz will continue, as will fill-in Thor and her issues. I just get that vibe. Especially if the teams knew this was coming for as long as they have, otherwise titles would have ended on more definitive notes like some others have leading up to this.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a big deal. Thor will be back and will be Thor eventually. No chance in hell Marvel Studios ever decided to suddenly turn Thor into a chick. Moviegoers would laugh that one out of existence.

As for the comics, this is like any other temporary change that wont last. They're going to run with this Secret Wars crap for a few months, and then Marvel will look basically like Marvel again with a few new characters and perhaps some new settings and continuity.

That "Thors" book sounds pretty idiotic. A police force in space made up of different "Thors" from different universes? That's approaching Clone Wars Saga levels of futility.

I'm hoping you're right about that and they aren't going to be making huge, idiotic changes to continuity. As I've said, I just got back into reading after a good 20+ year hiatus, and when I first started reading you didn't have the "luxury" of a stupid reboot of a title every 6-12 months, you basically just bought the damn book if you were interested and went with it, figuring things out as you familiarized yourself with the title. And these days with the world at your freakin fingertips thanks to the internet it's easier than ever! but people are lazier than ever as well and want everything spoon fed to them. Seriously, if I can do it, some infinitely more internet saavy tween should have no cause to whine about anything.

And yeah, the Thors book sounds pretty moronic. I may crack the cover at my local shop to confirm, but other than probably the Witchhunter Angela title I'm taking a pass on all this Secret Wars bs until it's over and I have a clear idea what's going on in the aftermath.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4: I really don't see where you get the idea if Thor died Mjolnir would disappear or cease to exist, it's a physical object and would still be around even if he wasn't, unless it was destroyed with him. Mjolnir was sitting in a field outside Broxton after Thor died at the end of the Fear Itself event, so that kind of disproves your statement.

Yes the physical object was there but you also have to acknowledge that no one was worthy of Mjolnir when Thor was dead after Fear Itself, we can't know if the hammer could really give you the power of Thor or not, this time character Mjolnir gave Jane more than Thor's power, i still think due to Jane's current weakness Mjolnir access Thor life force that Dr. Strange use to repair the hammer, basically in current writing marvel and Aaron ignore continuity in each issue, but we don't have enough data to know if Mjolnir really works with Thor dead, and by what Dr. Strange said after fix Mjolnir with Thor life force the hammer shouldn't work properly if Thor isn't alive...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Asgaard

@daymareprime: But according to New Avengers 32 events Thor is now worthy again, how can Aaron justify his current creative decisions acknowledging that scenario?

@haveatthee: obviously at some point Thor the son of Odin will wield his Mjolnir again, but my theory is that Rogers, Thor and Stark, will have key roles in the end of Secret Wars and disappear or die after being heroic, to give more emphasis to the come back...

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: When doctor strange bonded his life force to it. I thought it said if the hammer was destroyed Thor would die but if Thor died something would happen to the hammer. I guess im wrong.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4: I'm not aware of anything being said about Mjolnir being affected should Thor die, only that he could/would die if the hammer were damaged or destroyed.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: alright that makes sense. But if Thor died then king Thor wouldn't have been there in secret wars #2 correct?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Honestly, the current comic books superhero medium is an unsustainable one for my tastes, therefore I stopped reading. Secondary characters don't get enough shine, the primary ones rarely ever get more than 4-6 months of self-contained stories before some idiotic "LIFE CHANGING EVENT" derails them all. I find more fulfillment in re-reading some classic stories and filling in the gaps in my collection sporadically. Modern superhero storytelling has just jumped the shark, for me at least. Maybe if a writer I like is tasked with Thor or Dr. Strange or whomever then I'll give it a try but I don't see myself getting back into the monthly habit of the business. This is the problem when continuity is all but dead (died a while ago, IMO).

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4 said:

@antithetical: alright that makes sense. But if Thor died then king Thor wouldn't have been there in secret wars #2 correct?

the real question is why were those Thors killed so easily, I mean that was King Thor, that spear shouldn't have even cut him much less impale his head

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Honestly, the current comic books superhero medium is an unsustainable one for my tastes, therefore I stopped reading. Secondary characters don't get enough shine, the primary ones rarely ever get more than 4-6 months of self-contained stories before some idiotic "LIFE CHANGING EVENT" derails them all. I find more fulfillment in re-reading some classic stories and filling in the gaps in my collection sporadically. Modern superhero storytelling has just jumped the shark, for me at least. Maybe if a writer I like is tasked with Thor or Dr. Strange or whomever then I'll give it a try but I don't see myself getting back into the monthly habit of the business. This is the problem when continuity is all but dead (died a while ago, IMO).

I'm feeling the same way about it myself, there's only been three titles I've been picking up monthly but have spent more time and money on trades and back issues, catching up on what I missed andrrevisiting favorite stories from the past. Secret Wars could be what puts me off having any interest in new stories going forward.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By antithetical

@killraven4334: Dont think that was King thor just an old thor

Or some random alternate universe King Thor (or older Thor as you said).

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow not a fan of ultimate Thor so I can easily sit this one out then.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Hope I'm not raining on your collecting my friend :)

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: I hope ultimate Thor isn't Thor in the post SW universe :( alSo I thought he was dead

ThorOdinson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@incursion: I heard it was Odin since his beard had a reddish tint and those hammers are made by Doom and each Thor gives their hammer it's own name so I doubt they are as powerful as Mjolnir.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By arthurkerr

The problem with gods is they can simply pull a spear out and heal up and walk away. Heart beat is a thing of will , cosmic forces at work molding the clay that forms the universe they do it on a daily basis. So to think that a spear could kill one is sad.

A badly cooked chicken on the other hand may take out a few and do not even get me started on bad Ale or Rum.

jbd90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jbd90

I'm glad this topic is up. To me it seems they are using SW to patch the massive plot holes involving Thor. Everything that didn't make sense is being made the norm. To support Thor being a title and not a name they created the "Thors", anyone with a hammer is now Thor!... They kill Odinson so they don't have to actually come up with a reason for him being unworthy. Jason Aaron has no idea what Fury said to him. They allowed him to butcher Thor's continuity because the 616 was going away. They knew it never had to make any sense because they could fix it here.

If I'm right about this I will no longer buy any Marvel comics.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbd90: I hope you're wrong, but if that is the way they go, and I have a suspicion it may be, I could be dropping comics altogether once again outside of back issues and trades collecting older storylines.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbd90 said:

I'm glad this topic is up. To me it seems they are using SW to patch the massive plot holes involving Thor. Everything that didn't make sense is being made the norm. To support Thor being a title and not a name they created the "Thors", anyone with a hammer is now Thor!... They kill Odinson so they don't have to actually come up with a reason for him being unworthy. Jason Aaron has no idea what Fury said to him. They allowed him to butcher Thor's continuity because the 616 was going away. They knew it never had to make any sense because they could fix it here.

And I just thought about it, but in the last issue of Loki AoA, which is continuing through Secret Wars, we're given the set up for another Ragnarok story which is most likely the last incursion prior to the SW event. And while I wouldn't mind another telling of the Twilight Of The Gods within the pages of Loki it kind of makes it a tie-in and since the end of all things always gives way to a new beginning... I think you might get where I'm going with this... they wouldn't even need to "patch the massive plot holes" doing a Ragnarok story since when the cycle renews they simply make Thordis the daughter of Odin (or Odina, since the goal seems to be to make all of Asgard into the Marvel version of Themyscira) and just sweep the previous 50+ years under the rug.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Asgaard

@antithetical said:
    @jbd90 said:

And I just thought about it, but in the last issue of Loki AoA, which is continuing through Secret Wars, we're given the set up for another Ragnarok story which is most likely the last incursion prior to the SW event. And while I wouldn't mind another telling of the Twilight Of The Gods within the pages of Loki it kind of makes it a tie-in and since the end of all things always gives way to a new beginning... I think you might get where I'm going with this... they wouldn't even need to "patch the massive plot holes" doing a Ragnarok story since when the cycle renews they simply make Thordis the daughter of Odin (or Odina, since the goal seems to be to make all of Asgard into the Marvel version of Themyscira) and just sweep the previous 50+ years under the rug.

I get your point, and i know that you know that is not how the Ragnarok works (renew≠reboot) but by the current marvel editorial recent decisions they also can change the Ragnarok laws to fit new directions, (just like the whisper purpose). But in my opinion there still are to much variables in this theory, Jane's current disease story should be written by Aaron don't see other writer end this plot, so Thordis after Secret Wars still should be human and Jane, after Angela AA last issue her story also shouldn't be disconnected from present Asgard/Hel, in the end reboot Asgard after Secret Wars would also create massive plot holes, but that doesn't mean that will not happen because Aaron's current writing is basically a huge plot hole...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Yeah, that's the thing, they don't have to be true to the meaning or spirit of the mythology in a retelling of Ragnarok, just use it as a framework to make changes to fit the current direction. Slap a patch on it all, say everything is fine and call it a day. And it would be yet another big f.u. to readers if they did do that, leaving SO many issues unresolved, but hey, it's easier than actually having to unravel the knot of plot holes and continuity errors, isn't it? :S

fiodestromus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolcat4 said:

@antithetical: When doctor strange bonded his life force to it. I thought it said if the hammer was destroyed Thor would die but if Thor died something would happen to the hammer. I guess im wrong.

I'm starting to think he didnt die
    nor did Hyperion
    After reading the new Thor issue I feel like something else happened entirely but thats just a theory

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Asgaard

@coolcat4 said:

I'm starting to think he didnt die

nor did Hyperion

After reading the new Thor issue I feel like something else happened entirely but thats just a theory

Nope... Like i was expecting Aaron (Asgard's butcher) ignored that events because according to this thread Thor's arm and costume/looks don't connect with the end of the New Avengers issue #32, but connect with the butchering he was doing with te character and his world before the Beyonders battle! With the current writer Thor died after that whisper...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.