Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8586 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Thor an alien,not a God???

• 59 results
    GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know this has been discussed in other forums,but do you guys really like the idea how Mcu portrayed Thor as an alien instead being a God???I personally hate that idea.In fact for me that is the worst thing Mcu has done.so what do you guys think and why???

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It hasn't bothered me. Magic and tech are indistinguishable at a high enough level.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean:maybe in Mcu.Dccu will have real magic and true Gods which I like and its true to their character identities.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nick Fury and Black Widow considers Thor to be a god. Odin doesn't however. Its really just a matter of which word you want to use. They are aliens because they aren't from earth but thor is a god because of his power level, and the fact that humans worshipped him as a god hundreds of years ago.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: @jayc1324:just because they said that they are Gods doesnt mean that they are.Kevin Feige himself(or somebody else)stated that they will not portrayed them as a real Gods.yeah Thor is God because of his power level.especially when he was half dead when he was hit by a boulder in tdw.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see what's so hard about saying the phrases "Magic and God" in the MCU, but whatever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6: Thor in comcis has actually been killed multiple times before so almost dying doesn't mean he isn't a god. Also, it was Kurse who almost killed him, not the boulder.

Like I said, you can use either word you want. Alien or god. They are both

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It hasn't bothered me. Magic and tech are indistinguishable at a high enough level.

@scouterv said:

I don't see what's so hard about saying the phrases "Magic and God" in the MCU, but whatever.

@jayc1324 said:

Nick Fury and Black Widow considers Thor to be a god. Odin doesn't however. Its really just a matter of which word you want to use. They are aliens because they aren't from earth but thor is a god because of his power level, and the fact that humans worshipped him as a god hundreds of years ago.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: you dont understand.I can call myself a God but Im not.there is a difference when someone is and someone is only called like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6: Maybe your claim would have some credibility if you lived for thousands of years and could control lightning and storms. Thor actually has the abilities to back it up.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GoodBoy6

@jayc1324 said:

@goodboy6: Thor in comcis has actually been killed multiple times before so almost dying doesn't mean he isn't a god. Also, it was Kurse who almost killed him, not the boulder.

Like I said, you can use either word you want. Alien or god. They are both

@jayc1324 said:

@goodboy6: Maybe your claim would have some credibility if you lived for thousands of years and could control lightning and storms. Thor actually has the abilities to back it up.

ha I would be happy if I could do that but you are missing my point.when I said half dead when boulder hit him I didnt mean literally.I meant how that boulder made him injured that he barely crawled(Im not saying that he should be invincible,only some more durability and strength).how can Alien and a God be the same in Marvel universe???if you read the comics than you would understand.in Mcu all races except humans are aliens.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU= alien

616= god

MCU= Magic is science

616= Magic is different

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dum529001

He has power far beyond the other regular humans and he comes from another universe.

Thor was worshiped as a god by Vikings. Asgardians are far above regular humans, but like Galactus, they know that they are not the supreme being of all existence.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spambot

Asgardians aren't necessarily aliens. Odin in the eternals saga while addressing the pantheon council mentioned that they were all borne of the earth. Its also been said that Odin created Asgard so is therefore native to the earth. So I think in a lot of ways you could say Asgardians are also native to the earth. Thor's mother is even the spirit of the earth so there is also that. Its hard to say you are an alien to something when your mother actually is that something. They are considered gods mainly due to being above humans physically and having been worshipped by some. That's all it denotes.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

Asgardians aren't necessarily aliens. Odin in the eternals saga while addressing the pantheon council mentioned that they were all borne of the earth. Its also been said that Odin created Asgard so is therefore native to the earth. So I think in a lot of ways you could say Asgardians are also native to the earth. Thor's mother is even the spirit of the earth so there is also that. Its hard to say you are an alien to something when your mother actually is that something. They are considered gods mainly to being above humans and having been worshipped by some. That's all it denotes.

I'm not going to go out and say it, but there is something inherently unseemly implied in there... lol! Not by you specifcally, just in general, but then Odin tends to play pretty fast and loose with what is or isn't the truth anyway so who knows for certain.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spambot

@antithetical: It can be confusing and convoluted based on the decades of comic lore that's been put out. I think many writers aren't even fully familiar with the lore of a character that has come before them and change stuff without thinking twice about it.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: Oh, absolutely, there's definitely that aspect as well, though it's funny to think that after so long and so many re-tellings of the tale Odin could possibly be Thor's father and brother, lol!

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

idk now, maybe there is something to the current portrayal of Odin as something of an angry, slightly senile old man if he can't even get the origin stories right from one moment to the next. : P

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@goodboy6 said:

@risingbean:maybe in Mcu.Dccu will have real magic and true Gods which I like and its true to their character identities.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@scouterv said:

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Well, taking it that way he is but the statement he made that I was quoting he was more just saying that all the pantheons were native to the earth. So much lore has been rewritten with regards to Asgardians in recent years though.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GoodBoy6

@spambot said:

@antithetical: Well, taking it that way he is but the statement he made that I was quoting he was more just saying that all the pantheons were native to the earth. So much lore has been rewritten with regards to Asgardians in recent years though.

@spambot said:

Asgardians aren't necessarily aliens. Odin in the eternals saga while addressing the pantheon council mentioned that they were all borne of the earth. Its also been said that Odin created Asgard so is therefore native to the earth. So I think in a lot of ways you could say Asgardians are also native to the earth. Thor's mother is even the spirit of the earth so there is also that. Its hard to say you are an alien to something when your mother actually is that something. They are considered gods mainly due to being above humans physically and having been worshipped by some. That's all it denotes.

then basically all Gods came from Gaea which would mean that all Gods are related to each other.no,they are Gods because when you worshiped them they become stronger,or something like that.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6: That's really just your view of it. Some writers have a view similar to that while others do not. Its hard to say what role exactly Gaea has with regard to the earth based pantheons. Most mythologies have a creation story involving the earth but Marvel has their own lore with regard to it all and often contradicts itself from writer to writer.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@goodboy6: That's really just your view of it. Some writers have a view similar to that while others do not. Its hard to say what role exactly Gaea has with regard to the earth based pantheons. Most mythologies have a creation story involving the earth but Marvel has their own lore with regard to it all and often contradicts itself from writer to writer.

I know that.they just take from mythology their names,some events and then they created their own characters.Freya,a Goddess,who is Thor's adoptive mother is then Thor's very older sister since she is a daughter of Gaea.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think for THOR to be its own character in the MCU vs Norse Mythology it may make sense to call him an alien.

However, at the same time THOR should always be known as a god. Calling him an alien downgrades him.

But I already know Marvel hates THOR.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

I think for THOR to be its own character in the MCU vs Norse Mythology it may make sense to call him an alien.

However, at the same time THOR should always be known as a god. Calling him an alien downgrades him.

But I already know Marvel hates THOR.

you are partly right.Thor should be a God under any other circumstances and its not Mcu vs Norse mythology its Mcu vs Mu because Marvel only uses their names and their identities and made them their own Gods.

on that note I agree.even if stupid Mcu made him an alien he should have been called a God.

yeah Marvel do hates him.they pretty much confirmed when they made him unworthy and cut off his arm.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @spambot said:

I know that.they just take from mythology their names,some events and then they created their own characters.Freya,a Goddess,who is Thor's adoptive mother is then Thor's very older sister since she is a daughter of Gaea.

You seem to be struggling with the simple undeniable truth that all gods, any god, even the Christian god, is by human definitions an alien. Any lifeform not originating from earth is by definition an alien. God is a subjective term, and you can most definitely be a god and an alien, in fact, I would say you cannot be a God without being an alien.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @spambot said:

You seem to be struggling with the simple undeniable truth that all gods, any god, even the Christian god, is by human definitions an alien. Any lifeform not originating from earth is by definition an alien. God is a subjective term, and you can most definitely be a god and an alien, in fact, I would say you cannot be a God without being an alien.

where did you get that nonsense,no offense???

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the definition of a God

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By killraven4334

@goodboy6 said:
    @killraven4334 said:
    @goodboy6 said:
    @spambot said:

where did you get that nonsense,no offense???

how about the definition of an alien, and if you think facts are nonsense you should really bow out of this argument gracefully

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sigh....a god is a alien, but is also a alien that is worshiped religiously.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you get a cookie

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness said:

you get a cookie

@cgoodness said:

you get a cookie

we humans called some things aliens yes,but its just a name or a definition by us,in fact this has nothing to do with Marvel.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @killraven4334 said:
    @cgoodness said:

you get a cookie

@killraven4334 said:
    @cgoodness said:

you get a cookie

@cgoodness said:

we humans called some things aliens yes,but its just a name or a definition by us,in fact this has nothing to do with Marvel.

now repeat what you just said, and substitute the word god for alien

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @killraven4334 said:
    @cgoodness said:

you get a cookie

@killraven4334 said:
    @cgoodness said:

you get a cookie

@cgoodness said:

dude we are talking about Marvel,not about real life.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if one wants to get technical about it then anything that is unfamiliar to someone can be defined as alien, though in the context of the MCU Asgardians are seen as extraterrestrials which again is technically correct as they do not originate (as far as we know at this point) from Earth. What bugs most of us though is the characterization of Asgardians as simply another race of non Earthlings with a bunch of fancy gadgetry, and the problem I have with it is that despite having all this supposed super science there hasn't been one person in all Asgard shown to truly understand exactly how it all works.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GoodBoy6

@antithetical said:

Well if one wants to get technical about it then anything that is unfamiliar to someone can be defined as alien, though in the context of the MCU Asgardians are seen as extraterrestrials which again is technically correct as they do not originate (as far as we know at this point) from Earth. What bugs most of us though is the characterization of Asgardians as simply another race of non Earthlings with a bunch of fancy gadgetry, and the problem I have with it is that despite having all this supposed super science there hasn't been one person in all Asgard shown to truly understand exactly how it all works.

finally someone who understands what I am trying to say.they should go in to Gods and magic direction not science.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @antithetical said:

finally someone who understands what I am trying to say.they should go in to Gods and magic direction not science.

A little late for doing that at this point, though I guess the best they could do is throw some bit of doubt upon it having BW and Fury refer to them as gods.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @antithetical said:

A little late for doing that at this point, though I guess the best they could do is throw some bit of doubt upon it having BW and Fury refer to them as gods.

yeah I know.its already over.at least they could do that.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @killraven4334 said:
    @goodboy6 said:
    @killraven4334 said:
    @cgoodness said:

you get a cookie

@killraven4334 said:
    @cgoodness said:

you get a cookie

@cgoodness said:

dude we are talking about Marvel,not about real life.

which means your real life expectation for what a god should be is not valid either

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my understanding, Thor and the Asgardians aren't actually gods. There powerful interdimenional being who were worshiped by ancient humans, and forced into a cycle of death and rebirth called Ragnarok by higher beings (I forgot what they were called).

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

They gots to be gods... They gots to

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my understanding, Thor and the Asgardians aren't actually gods. There powerful interdimenional being who were worshiped by ancient humans, and forced into a cycle of death and rebirth called Ragnarok by higher beings (I forgot what they were called).

Those Who Sit Above In Shadow

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46 JediXMan  Moderator

The MCU version clearly isn't a god. It's been outright stated by the producers that he isn't, and Odin has said that they aren't immortal. They are just aliens in the MCU - that's it.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin himself flat out said they're not Gods....sooooooooo

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they are real Gods but you are right about Those Who Sit Above In Shadow.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6: I don't know. Them being able to be controlled by other beings tells me there not really gods. There not even really immortal, in order to extend his lifespan Thor has to yearly eat a special apple that keeps him from aging, and they may not even have those anymore sense Asgard's city was transplanted to Earth's dimension.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think this whole argument rests on people's interpretations of what a 'God' is

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.