Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8593 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

So this guy can reverse time...

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
    Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

I was reading some old Thor comics, and I saw one that had Stranger in it (Thor #178 - Death is a Stranger!), a character I really like

anyways, Thor realizes that he can't let a very angry Stranger invade Asgard, so he solves the problem by...reversing time

No Caption Provided

has this been retconned?

has Thor ever done anything remotely similar before or after that?

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thor lost the power later on. Some people won't agree with this, but I believe Thor has been downgraded from his classic self. A lot of characters have. Classic Thor was insanely powerful, too powerful to be regarded as Herald level. The guy could reverse time, absorb galaxy destroying bombs, almost kill Galactus with a Godblast, take on Skyfathers, and Celestials, ect. Nowadays he's still incredibly powerful, just not to that degree. Same has been done with characters like Wonder Man, Loki, Terrax, ect.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thundergodswrath:

but even in the other early stuff, i don't recall him ever having any temporal abilities,

I mean, f he did, I imagine he'd use them to compete with Kang or Zarrko

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most Silver Age powerhouses, especially those with a varied powerset (Superman and Thor), have been depowered considerably. Add to the lack of credible villains and all the "hero vs. hero" stuff, and these days it's "I smash with my hammer, call down the occasional bolt of lightning, rinse-lather-repeat." Modern day writers lack over-the-top imagination when it comes to powerful characters in general, because it's easy to write super-strength, flight, invulnerability and that's about it.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By New_World_Order

@thundergodswrath:

but even in the other early stuff, i don't recall him ever having any temporal abilities,

I mean, f he did, I imagine he'd use them to compete with Kang or Zarrko

Well he has done this to Kang.

Oh, and here is when Thor lost his time manipulation powers. Basically Immortus tricked him into giving it up.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most Silver Age powerhouses, especially those with a varied powerset (Superman and Thor), have been depowered considerably. Add to the lack of credible villains and all the "hero vs. hero" stuff, and these days it's "I smash with my hammer, call down the occasional bolt of lightning, rinse-lather-repeat." Modern day writers lack over-the-top imagination when it comes to powerful characters in general, because it's easy to write super-strength, flight, invulnerability and that's about it.

Agreed, although I don't want them to get some of their powers back. Like Thor being able to hypnotize? Lol. But I believe Thor will get some of his powers back in Marvel Now.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thundergodswrath:

so Thor was a fully-fledged chronomancer?

why does no one ever bring this up in battles?

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thundergodswrath:

so Thor was a fully-fledged chronomancer?

why does no one ever bring this up in battles?

Because Classic Thor is more powerful than Current Thor.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I dont think they depowered Thor. They make it look weaker because part of the philosophy of writers now its to anhilate the powerhouse to make the villain look really powerful and unstoppable. You can see this in Avengers vs X Men, when Thor gets owned in each one of his battles by guys who are not that strong at all. Also, Modern Thor holds back most of the time.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to give Thor back all of his powers and let him go around the MU like Debo! I would like to just see Thor cut loose for a year straight, in every title he's involved in.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74:

that would be pretty awesome

but who's Debo?

Loading Video...

Debo is the real big guy (Tony Lister) who was the neighborhood bully in Friday. Listen to the music in the background as well, it should be played everytime Thor shows up!

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think they depowered Thor. They make it look weaker because part of the philosophy of writers now its to anhilate the powerhouse to make the villain look really powerful and unstoppable. You can see this in Avengers vs X Men, when Thor gets owned in each one of his battles by guys who are not that strong at all. Also, Modern Thor holds back most of the time.

Heh

"I don't think they depowered Thor." You then go on to state two reasons why they depower him.

But hell yeah, after the abuse Thor took under Bendis and Fraction, Thor should punk everyone else for the next two years to make up for it.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: And then when Thor is ''punking'' everyone all Thor fans get pissed that all his story's are boring because their are no challenges for him

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180:

I Spot a Troll.

*I'm watching you, troll man"

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truemarvel: well it makes sence. Fan moan that you don't give them what they want then when you do give them what they want they moan about getting what they want

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HaveAtThee

@z3ro180 said:

@haveatthee: And then when Thor is ''punking'' everyone all Thor fans get pissed that all his story's are boring because their are no challenges for him

Not me :) I still believe that a powerful superhero should have powerful super-villains to challenge him, especially a cosmic character like Thor. They have Thor spend most of his time on Earth so there aren't really many challenging foes or situations for him there. Look at how much more fun Thor is to read when a good writer (Aaron) takes Thor and has him traversing time and the cosmos and faces a villain who's (at least at first glance) more cunning and powerful than him. Thor's also having to use his wits and other talents other than brute strength to get the upper hand. It's quite refreshing. I can't wait to see how Aaron will handle Thor during the "Accursed" arc when he has him chasing after Malekith across the Nine Realms.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.