Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Question about AoU Mjolnir (Spoilers)

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I was wondering about the whole vision and Mjolnir thing, when he lifted the hammer did he have full control of it or was it just that he could lift and and wield it? I'm talking in the sense of throwing it and calling it back to him and using all its powers. As I noticed after him hitting Ultron Thor called it back to his hand from it being in Vision's hand. So will Thor always be the master of Mjolnir while he is worthy/alive, or could it just be vision didn't know how to use mjolnirs' power properly?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I know this question has been touched upon in Gen. Discussion a couple of times and I don't think there's a definitive answer. Some say it's because Vision was newly "born" and thus had a completely clean slate, though I'd also argue that by the same token he had done nothing to prove his worthiness either. Then there's the notion that being an artificial being he would be able to lift Mjolnir but not be capable of wielding any of the powers, and some viners have mentioned times in the comics where robots and other synthetic beings have been shown lifting and transporting the hammer but they don't receive any powers. There were no scans provided and I personally haven't seen any of those panels.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IDontLikeBirds

Well I'm not sure if you have to do something to be worthy, but just be a worthy person, and I guess by The Visions words, he was a worthy being. I'm assuming Mjolnir also can kind of sense your intentions and your character. As the JARVIS A.I. he did try to stop Ultron. He also mentioned that he was "on the side of life".

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more trying to touch upon if he would have had full control of Mjolnir like Thor does or do all those powers still rest with Thor as he is the main wielder at the current time. Like could vision have thrown it and have it return?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Asgaard

In my perspective Vision in Age of Ultron was worthy of Mjolnir acknowledging the enchantment and consequently had total control of the Hammer, unfortunately the theatrical cut of this movie didn't include the full fight between Vision and Thor Link, perhaps that fight could explain better why Vision was worthy of Mjolnir, why he duplicate Thor's cape and from where comes their strong bound, if Vision only lift Mjolnir because he is artificial, Thor allowing Vision to keep the mind stone plot also would not make much sense, but everything is possible because Age of Ultron theatrical cut was far for being a consistent movie, perhaps the Blu Ray cut can make this movie more coherent...

No Caption Provided
    Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Yea I'm guessing it was more explained before the Thor scenes got cut out, hoping they are all added to the extended version and Thor's cave scenes. Just hope the fight is balanced and Thor isn't used as a punching bag just to show vision is powerful. I'm guessing it takes practise to use the hammer like Thor, and vision didn't really have much screentime for it to be explained. I doubt it is because he is artificial as then ultron could have lifted it and the any of the iron legion etc. Hope the extended cut elaborates a bit more.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

They can lift it but not summon the powers like Thor does. Same as in comics (they explain the androids ability to lift it near the end of AoU).

In the comics the Android version of Air-Walker lifted, fought with the hammer (only blunt force, no magic). The worthy part is what I believe gives the wielder the power of Thor, lifting it is just lifting it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.