Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Original Thor Returns (sort of) in new ongoing series

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.newsarama.com/30034-the-original-thor-returns-in-new-unworthy-ongoing.html

No Caption Provided

After being largely off the playing field for the past two years, the original Thor is returning for "Marvel NOW!" ongoing series titled The Unworthy Thor. According to io9, the series "will follow the god’s escape and captivity - revealed to be at the hands of none other than cosmic archiver the Collector - and his journey to becoming a hero once more." Long-time Thor writer Jason Aaron will be on The Unworthy Thor, joined by returning Thor artist Olivier Coipel.

"I’ve always written him as a guy who wakes up every morning, look [sic] at that hammer and know he would not know if was going to pick it up," said Aaron of the character once known as Thor. "It was always questioning his own worthiness, which is what made him such a great god the first time. So now he’s at the point where that’s been taken away. He failed for a reason we still don’t quite understand. He dropped the hammer and hasn’t been able to pick it up since. So then we go to a pretty dark place. A darker, more desperate, more driven version. The real fun of Thor is that he wields an axe now. He’s still out trying to fight the fight, but first he’s gotta be off on his own."

After being removed as Thor and possessor of Mjolnir in 2014's Original Sin, the man now referred to as Odinson has largely been absent from Marvel's comic books. The character appeared briefly in The Mighty Thor, shown imprisoned by by a then-unknown person, now known to be the Collector.

I mean, again, we just did the tease where the Odinson is a prisoner - so, where’s the prisoner? Why? What’s going on?," said Aaron. "We flash back a little bit, with the first issue of the series and see what he was up to, post-Secret Wars. How he got pulled into this situation all begins with him finding out there’s this other hammer out there. He just needs to find it."

he artwork for The Unworthy Thor shows the hammer/axe most recently used by the Ultimate Thor. After the culmination of the Ultimate universe in the lead-up to Secret Wars, the Ultimate Thor - and that hammer - appeared in the Thorsminiseries, also written by Aaron. How did it make its way to Marvel's one-time Thor?

"Well, you know, it was - by ending the Ultimate universe, we knew we were kind of given this lump sum of those characters. So, part of my goal with Thors was [to do] the final story for Ultimate Thor. We talked about wanting to make those Secret Wars miniseries mean something in terms of the bigger picture still unfolding, that they weren’t just four random issues you could forget about named Thors. I wanted something big to come out of Thors that would affect our characters going forward, so that turned out to be a hammer. This is just a great, great beast of metal," Aaron revealed.

"So to have that somehow fly through the events of Secret Wars and land in the normal Marvel Universe, which we saw at the end of Thors, at Old Asgard - of course it went back to Old Asgard, but the old Asgard, nobody lives there. So, it’s just been sitting there, all this time."

How can someone unworthy to wield one universe's Mjolnir be able to wield the hammer of a Thor from another universe? Good question, according to Aaron.

"Yeah, certainly the hammer is like the hammer we’ve already got, right? It came over from a completely different Thor, so yeah, that’s a very good question. Is that a part of the story? It can’t be the same as something we’ve already got, you know?" said Aaron. "This story, we don’t jump into this with the hammer in his hand, we very much begin it as a quest. And is he desperate to get his hands on it, to show that he can already pick it up and be Thor again? That’s really what’s striking."

Although The Unworthy Thor will come out alongside the already-running The Mighty Thor starring Jane Foster as the current Thor, Aaron said that the two series won't crossover immediately.

"I think the story of the Odinson searching for his hammer is very much his story. Jane is off dealing with her own stuff right now. But definitely you can expect to see each of the characters cross paths again."

That being said, Odinson's return to his absence will be a "big thing" for Foster.

"Well, yeah, I mean I think you can expect it to be a big thing. He’s been gone for months," said the writer. "To see him again is going to be a big thing. You know? This was always kind of the plan. These characters have been set on very specific paths. It will take them apart sometimes, other times, they will come smashing back together. Right now they’re dealing with their own stuff... but expect them to come smashing back together pretty soon."

The Unworthy Thor is scheduled to debut this fall.

Sebast_Allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MY THOR IS BACK! I adore Jane, I love her run, but my favourite character is finally back :D, how can I not be HYPED XD!!!!!!

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't read this for free.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thats Sabretooth not Thor dont you fn lie to me

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh great Aarons writing it

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
    ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want ANY crossovers with that thing! Leave Thor alone please. Get his arm back. His hammer. His armor. Status quo restored in its entirety NOW! Retcon foster back into a grave where she belongs.....

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness: can it get any worse? Oh no Aaron's gonna kill him off

DragonKing123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DragonKing123

AWES..... Aaron is writing this :(

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: Nice to see some fans (like you) are fans to the core my friend! I hate "fans" who accept the replacements. When you do that, you're "fandom" is questionable and scrutinized........

No true fan supports a usurper who steals, humiliates, and demeans the original!

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yesss im hyped. I hope he gets the ult thor hammer i will be lit

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh great Aarons writing it

By the end of the run Aaron will probably have him a Roxxon suit.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerevarine_11: Nice to see some fans (like you) are fans to the core my friend! I hate "fans" who accept the replacements. When you do that, you're "fandom" is questionable and scrutinized........

No true fan supports a usurper who steals, humiliates, and demeans the original!

Respect man. The Odinson needs a comeback!

Trikszter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Aaron that bad ?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trikszter: Meh, more like Marvel itself. Aaron is merely a bi-product of a peculiarly flawed storytelling model. His "God Butcher" story was very good (with excellent art from Ribic) as he basically explored similar themes from previous writers like Dan Jurgens and the Lee/Kirby stuff, but since that story everything else has been more in line with modern Indie-style "noir-ish" writing. Aaron loves his blood-n-guts and murder mystery stuff. Injecting those elements into high-concept fantasy/adventure comics is a strange mix (to put it mildly). Everything that happened from "The Last Days of Midgard" and on is one massive plot-device after another. Characters became mere props for the sake of trying to tell an empowered feminist story. In my opinion it was just a bad idea with even worse execution. This isn't so much Aaron's fault as it is editorial I feel.

I honestly think had they never planned to make Thor solo films and include him in the Avengers films, they never would've brought him back after 2004. Since his return in 2007 the majority of the time the Thor mythos has been mishandled badly, with some notable exceptions (JMS, Gillen, Aaron's God Butcher story). There have been some cool moments here and there in some team books and crossovers but it just seems that the people working at Marvel generally don't understand or don't care to tell a really good Thor story. He's become a much more grounded, Earth bound superhero than ever before. Just seems to me that a mystical pantheon like Asgard doesn't really fit the post-2004, post-Disassembled, hyper-realistic Marvel anymore. But it's merely a reflection of the type of talent that has worked at Marvel for the last decade or so.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Awesome, I am definitely going to add this to my pull list.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yesss im hyped. I hope he gets the ult thor hammer i will be lit

ive decided to not even read that garbage

the way they took it from him smh

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just from looking at the picture, I noticed that Thor looks a lot and I mean a lot like Gilgamesh, lol. I can't be the only person who see's the resembalance. Only thing that's different is Thor has a little more facial hair and his is blonde. If you don't think so, just check out Gilgamesh in Hercule's current run.

As for this whole Thor returning with Ultimate Thor's hammer, there are pros and cons for me. For starters, I have this hunch that Thor is going to come back a little different, probably more aggressive, sort of like how he was after Ragnorak when he encountered Iron Man. Not necessarily beat down everything type of agressive, but less likely to hold back and no time for fun and games anymore. I think wherever he's been all this time has changed him quite a bit and we'll see a different approach on not only his personality but his overall power. This is something I don't mind, as I hope for Thor to be treated like an actual warrior figure oppose to a simple hero.

As for the cons. I straight up don't like the Ultimate Thor hammer (though seeing as it and Jarjborn have piercing sides it may show Thor is more willing to kill now). The new attire he has is no better and in all honesty the outfit he has on it that cover would do for the time being in my opinion. I also don't like the idea of him cutting his hair because well, when we think of Thor, we think of his long hair, and now he cut it and grew out a beard (which I like) which makes him look like Gilgamesh. Lastly, I don't like the whole combining Ultimate Thor with 616 Thor which you can painfully see them trying to do. They are seperate characters and I wasn't too fond of the other one, but it seems we are gonna have to suck it up because Jane doesn't seem to be going anywhere this year or the next.

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor wakes up every day not knowing if he'd be worthy to lift Mjolnir? I don't like that, I've literally never got that impression.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Just from looking at the picture, I noticed that Thor looks a lot and I mean a lot like Gilgamesh, lol. I can't be the only person who see's the resembalance. Only thing that's different is Thor has a little more facial hair and his is blonde. If you don't think so, just check out Gilgamesh in Hercule's current run.

As for this whole Thor returning with Ultimate Thor's hammer, there are pros and cons for me. For starters, I have this hunch that Thor is going to come back a little different, probably more aggressive, sort of like how he was after Ragnorak when he encountered Iron Man. Not necessarily beat down everything type of agressive, but less likely to hold back and no time for fun and games anymore. I think wherever he's been all this time has changed him quite a bit and we'll see a different approach on not only his personality but his overall power. This is something I don't mind, as I hope for Thor to be treated like an actual warrior figure oppose to a simple hero.

As for the cons. I straight up don't like the Ultimate Thor hammer (though seeing as it and Jarjborn have piercing sides it may show Thor is more willing to kill now). The new attire he has is no better and in all honesty the outfit he has on it that cover would do for the time being in my opinion. I also don't like the idea of him cutting his hair because well, when we think of Thor, we think of his long hair, and now he cut it and grew out a beard (which I like) which makes him look like Gilgamesh. Lastly, I don't like the whole combining Ultimate Thor with 616 Thor which you can painfully see them trying to do. They are seperate characters and I wasn't too fond of the other one, but it seems we are gonna have to suck it up because Jane doesn't seem to be going anywhere this year or the next.

A very different post from your previous reply on another thread regarding this news. But you bring up some valid concerns about Ultimate Thor's hammer (it never had a worthiness enchantment before Battleworld and the Thor Corps IIRC) and Thor's outfit sucks bad, too ragged and tattered. It doesn't befit a warrior of Thor's stature before Aaron ruined what made him such an epic character. Forcing together Ultimate Thor aspects into 616 Thor is also a recipe for disaster to be honest, I sincerely hope they don't copy personality traits either.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

A very different post from your previous reply on another thread regarding this news.

Yeah lol, i'm trying to be optimistic and see the bigger picture as well. After looking some things over, I believe it's not as bad as I originally thought.

But you bring up some valid concerns about Ultimate Thor's hammer (it never had a worthiness enchantment before Battleworld and the Thor Corps IIRC) and Thor's outfit sucks bad, too ragged and tattered. It doesn't befit a warrior of Thor's stature before Aaron ruined what made him such an epic character.

Agreed, Marvel needs to be consistent with the things they set in stone. Also, I agree the outfit isn't the best, but it's better than the Ultimate Thor amour he's gonna have.

Forcing together Ultimate Thor aspects into 616 Thor is also a recipe for disaster to be honest, I sincerely hope they don't copy personality traits either.

Knowing Marvel, it's highly possible. Sad though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: I thought this was more critical and negative than your other one actually.

You mean the suit in the Marvel Now! Divided We Fall promo poster? Yeah I see what you mean, that's gonna be a gaudy and unnecessarily Ultimate/MCU look to Thor. I much preferred his other two modern designs compared to these two for sure.

Avatar image for odinsonrealthor
    OdinsonRealThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OdinsonRealThor

I'm just waiting for that bada** moment when Thor Odinson Wields both the hammers.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

@lvenger:

I thought this was more critical and negative than your other one actually.

Which thread was it? I've commented on quite a few, I can't remember which one you are referring to.

You mean the suit in the Marvel Now! Divided We Fall promo poster? Yeah I see what you mean, that's gonna be a gaudy and unnecessarily Ultimate/MCU look to Thor. I much preferred his other two modern designs compared to these two for sure.

It's going to terrible, I wish they actually used one of the looks they were originally going to use. It would possibly look well with Ultimate Mjolnir and Jarjborn.

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: Um not the one ThorParker made but the other thread regarding this series' announcement. It was a short comment though, glad to see my boy back or something like that.

Huh you're fine with that initial promo Marvel Now! look they had for Thor? It's missing that gorgeous flowing cape though :P

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Um not the one ThorParker made but the other thread regarding this series' announcement. It was a short comment though, glad to see my boy back or something like that.

Oh, it was more of the fact that I was happy that Thor was back. I may not like what he's become, but at-least he's back.

Huh you're fine with that initial promo Marvel Now! look they had for Thor? It's missing that gorgeous flowing cape though :P

It's better than the Ultimate looking one he has. Thor is a warrior, so it's kind of cool that he doesn't have a cape. =p

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: But I like capes though. They're the staple of the superhero. Still, kidding aside, I get where you're coming from, I suppose a cape is impractical for a warrior.

MiguelR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MiguelR

BRB will be in the first issue, if anyone cares.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By antithetical

@miguelr said:

BRB will be in the first issue, if anyone cares.

That at least is somewhat encouraging. Now if Aaron doesn't manage to screw that up as well...

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mexicutioner: Right??! Since when has the most confident and powerful hero of Marvel Earth been feeling "doubts of his worthiness" every day that he wakes up????! Shows Aaron has no clue of who Thor really is and always has been!!!!

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderingthorfan : Aaron is a Bendis protege. Tear everything down, blow everything up for someone else to build it back up again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.