Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*contains spoilers from the last issue*

The Good

If I could only use one word to describe this series so far, it would easily be "epic." I mean, we're talking about a title which had three Thors taking on Gorr, the God Butcher, in a battle to save any and every deity that has ever existed and would exist. Plus, we saw Thor wield two hammers. It's pretty tough to get more epic than that, right? Now that the events with Gorr have come to an end, the series dials down the intensity and spends most of its time showing why Thor (modern Thor, that is) is simply a great guy and a caring God.

Writer Jason Aaron gives us a brief update on past and future Thor as well. The former offers a nice yet quick insight into his personality and the latter seemingly offers a look into the book's next big plot -- one which is sure to get your attention. But before getting a look at the dire events on the road ahead of us, Aaron fills the pages with a more humbling version of Thor. He's not battling Ice Giants or Trolls, he's not fighting to save Earth... he's merely traveling the planet and being a good and respectable fellow. It's a charming and even heartwarming course of events which also offers a big laugh or two along the way. Some may label it as "filler," but I view it as a much appreciated insight into the God of Thunder.

Additionally, we chime back in on Jane Foster and it's a particularly touching exchange. I'm sure some will say a moment is blatantly taken from a famous Superman story, but the scene works well, especially after everything that transpires right before it. It may not bring you to tears, but it's certainly moving stuff.

The Bad

It would be reasonable to say more than a fair portion of the Gorr story has an epic scope thanks to Esad Ribic's amazingly unique artwork. Ribic provides the cover for this issue, but the talented artist doesn't create the pages within the issue. Instead, Nic Klein has the difficult task of following Ribic. Klein's work is definitely not bad, but you can't help but feel the difference and it's a bit jarring if you've been following since the first issue. There's two solid splash pages and the weather and environments are all nicely detailed, but I do have some minor gripes with a few facial features (though he does deliver big on the more emotional ones) and there's a distracting lack of detail when characters a reduced to the distance (for example, Young Thor and the woman he's with are just outlines and filled in with a light blue in one panel).

The Verdict

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #12 proves this book can thrive without Gods battling and diabolical villains creating all kinds of chaos in the universe. Aaron offers a tight script, bringing a pleasant insight into modern Thor's character as he visits everyone from an inmate to an ex-lover. Based on the conclusion, it definitely seems this is Aaron's way of giving us an endearing course of events before we're hit by another wave of madness and villainy. I strongly recommend checking this one out. If you're not already a fan of the character, this holds the potential to turn you into one and it's a perfect jumping on point (although I do recommend reading THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #1-11 because it's thoroughly awesome).

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This was such an awesome series!

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hawkguy

I loved this. Even after the epic Gorr arc this issue is so damn magnificent. Its full of laughs, pride moments and emotional scenes. I miss Ribic but the change in the art can easily be overlooked. Jason Aaron is killing it

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@hawkguy said:

I loved this. Even after the epic Gorr arc this issue is so damn magnificent. Its full of laughs, pride moments and emotional scenes. I miss Ribic but the change in the art can easily be overlooked. Jason Aaron is killing it

Exactly why I still gave it 5-stars despite that minor complaint!

@oscars94 said:

This was such an awesome series!

Was? Are you saying it no longer is? :P

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Awesome comic!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Cap10nate

Great transition issue. Needed a little break after the Gorr arc and this was perfect.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By The Mast

This achieved in one issue what Grounded was supposed to do for Superman.

That prison scene...heart-breaking.

Falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so is Ribic off the book completely now, or just this one issue?

Also, is this now a biweekly book? Or, again, is it just because this is a transitional issue?

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nerdork

I haven't picked up my issues for the week yet, but I am really looking forward to seeing where they take the story from here. With such an epic, and wonderfully written beginning story-arc, there is a lot this series has to live up to in going forward. But, I am very optimistic, and I can absolutely look past artistic differences from artist to another.

Nice review Gregg!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Mucklefluga

I have issues 1-6, 9 & 11 digitally which maddens me because i really want to read the whole rpic tale.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By manwithoutshame

The end of this issue has me way pumped for the next storyline. I have a feeling Jason Aaron is going to have a long and glorious run on this title.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The end of this issue has me way pumped for the next storyline. I have a feeling Jason Aaron is going to have a long and glorious run on this title.

I definitely hope so...

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Loved this issue. 5/5 in my book.

ThorBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this issue! Love the whole series so far! Jason Aaron was most excellent on the wolverine books and I'm so pleased that he's writing Thor. What a perfect fit with Ron garney on art for the next chapter! Good times indeed

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome book really enjoyed seeing Thor having some down time after the last Arc. I wished comics did more of this we need breaks from events some times.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoying Thor. I have nothing but respect for the guy. Can't wait to read this.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this issue really caught me off guard and is an easy 5/5 for me. There are several real life issues touched upon in this and Aaron does an excellent job of "humanizing" Thor. I'm excited to see how, or if, some of these things play out going forward. I'd easily recommend this to anybody, even if they have never read a Thor book or never intend on reading another. This could easily pass as a one-shot or annual issue.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a couple of pages, it seemed like Thor was starring in a Dos Equis commercial.

He is... the most interesting God in the universe.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

what superman comic did it take from??

Poncho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Made sense to me. Thor is a character who has a great deal of honor and going against Jane's wishes would have been pretty disrespectful.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

great read funny as hell too.

kixxix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Thor: God of Thunder issue I read and loved it. Wish I had picked up on this series earlier I keep hearing awesome things about the first two arcs. Guess I could get trades, keep up the good work Thor team and nice review.

endlessxshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falconer said:

Wait, so is Ribic off the book completely now, or just this one issue?

Also, is this now a biweekly book? Or, again, is it just because this is a transitional issue?

Ribic will be back after Garney. It's a monthly book.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Best Marvel title right now involving a single character in my book...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26  Edited By SC  Moderator

Any comic where Thor pulls a Mila Kunis is a great comic to me. Four thousand nine hundred and sixty seven stars from me.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hear it all the time - how character this and that is just as powerfull as Thor and therefore could be considered as gods but this is how a god act.

So - love Aaron and easily my favourite title

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the interactions he has with humans -- I especially love the first bit with young Thor.

However, I would have enjoyed this issue much, much more if the new love interest wasn't introduced the way it was -- almost like a passing of the torch with Jane's blessing and too trite. Cute way of having him mimic what other celebrities have done although it's not with the same level of sentiment because it's simply a SHIELD graduation and not a soldier just off to or returning home from war.

Being nit-picky -- knowing this new character will be in future stories in a substantial way took away from the poignancy of Thor and Jane's past relationship -- just my view on it.

I am giving this one more issue before deciding to drop it or not. The first eleven issues (and mostly this one) I really enjoyed.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH MAN! such an awesome series. the god butcher is one of the best comic runs within the last five years. Honestly.... It was AMAZING.

And this issue was a great follow up. It was perfect. This series deserves awards. Really....

and btw could DC hire the writers from this for an Orion series? I'm a big fan of the fourht world and was hoping some talented writers could pull it off for the New 52 universe....

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted by CaptainHoopla - August 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Wow, this issue really caught me off guard and is an easy 5/5 for me. There are several real life issues touched upon in this and Aaron does an excellent job of "humanizing" Thor. I'm excited to see how, or if, some of these things play out going forward. I'd easily recommend this to anybody, even if they have never read a Thor book or never intend on reading another. This could easily pass as a one-shot or annual issue.

This. Loved this issue, first time in a long while a comic has moved me. The death row visit and finding out Jane has Brest cancer threw me and actually made me sad. Great book

Avatar image for louiecayetano85
    louiecayetano85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

the art for me is really a big deal... It feels very different from what epicness Esad fed us. it's no minor thing. it's half of the comic that is amiss. I'm a newbie to comics and the god of thunder is what brought me to this great medium. I loved it because of Jason Aaron's great storytelling and Esad Ribic's great drawing. And #12 is half glass empty. Sorry for being a fanboy, I just can't believe that an artist could be replace just like that, even after a very epic run. Can they really do that? Is that a usual thing? sigh...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Wait is the god butcher story finally over?! But how will i fall asleep now without trying to get through the most recent issue?!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.