cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateWUBI # 16:View:Attached to Forum:Back/ Next
    10/06/10*Black Event, The(Blog) (Forum)The War.WUBI #15.

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:The Black Event.
    Alternate Title:New Universe: War.
    Collecting 9 Issues:
    Covers: (click to enlarge)
    TPB Cover: Justice #18
    TPB Cover: Justice #18

You might not know it today, but for the time, this was an epic story. Ken Connell, wielder of the Star Brand, is the most powerful man in the New Universe, but frankly, isn't very good at using the power. Deciding that he doesn't deserve the power, he tries to transfer it to a handheld weight, and blows up all of Pittsburgh. Oops.

The Pitt shows the NU's reaction to this devastation (which gets named the "Black Event"), and that leads to a government response, which leads to The Draft, which leads into The War. That may not seem like a big deal now, but at the time, the decision to wipe a fictional version of a real city off the map made the news, and actually had people in Pittsburgh asking, "Why us?" The answer to that is pretty simple: because then they can name the crater left behind "The Pitt." Duh.

If you don't think this was a big deal, consider the number of times it's been imitated since then: 1) Coast City (Reign of the Supermen, DC); 2) Moscow (Trencher, Black Ball Comics); 3) Detroit (Freak Force, Image); 4) Qurac (an entire country! Outsiders, DC)... I believe there's a couple of others, but c'mon! At least five different smoking craters where cities or countries used to be, thanks to superpowers! If it were all one comic universe, Earth would be a pockmarked pustule of a planet. As far as I know, New Universe is where that city leveling trend started. That's why I'd like to see this TPB - to reread the story that started it all.

10/13/12 Update: Thanks to running across The Pitt story arc page, I added Justice #18 and D.P.7 #18, both of which tie in to The Pitt. The Justice issue is about Justice having a premonition of The Pitt disaster, and the D.P.7 issue is about the D.P.7 team checking out the devastation. I suppose they're not essential, but what the heck, a 9 issue trade makes me feel like I got my money's worth in a TPB, and it's more in line with the Marvel Classic series of trades.

For the cover...well, I don't really like any of the issue covers for the TPB cover, to be honest. However, out of all of them, I think that Justice #18 is the most striking, and it's one of the only ones that gives any indication of what The Black Event was.

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
    .Back to Top.
    No Caption Provided
    < 15 (WUBI Index) 17 >

*The original post date for this WUBI was 10/06/10, but the forum it was attached to was deleted. I had to repost this, to attach it to a different forum.

Thanks again!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
    The Black Event
    The Black Event

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.