Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

What makes the n52 different from other reboots?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

There have been reboots before, but not one that enraged the fans as much and spitted them in the middle like this. What do you think makes the n52 different?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@waezi2: People were just enraged then as they are now

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: They were? I weren't born when Crisis On Infinite Earths were written, so I can of coarse not say anything about that. But I haven't heard any complaints about the fact that COIE happened.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@waezi2: That's because it happened that long ago nobody cares anymore

Avatar image for the_undying_tombstone
    The_Undying_Tombstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Crisis on earth happened before the Internet, so you didn't get to see the raging.

Trust me if computer tech was thirty-fifty years ahead the comic book websites of the 80s would be filled with bitching about COIE's reboot and how it would ruin DC forever.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

I actually really like the New 52 reboot. Also they are combining the Vertigo and Wildstorm timelines with DCU. I'm pretty sure that's the difference.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trust me, we were pretty upset about COIE way back in my day. But eventually we say not having 50 shades io kypnonite & no things like Batmites was a good thing. 52 seems like a pointless reboot that only occurred for sales & money & alienating us older fans.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muhabba said:

Trust me, we were pretty upset about COIE way back in my day. But eventually we say not having 50 shades io kypnonite & no things like Batmites was a good thing. 52 seems like a pointless reboot that only occurred for sales & money & alienating us older fans.

But some of us feel the same way about stuff that happened after the previous reboot. So it's a matter of pointviews.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: Like what? Are we talking Infinite Crisis?

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@matteopg: Like what? Are we talking Infinite Crisis?

Yeah, for instance. But also I remember reading a lot of Superman before the new 52 and thinking "Ok, how many times can one go back and forth between dimensions and time and still expect us to follow?"

Of course I'm not saying it was all bad, far from it, but I am glad that some of that stuff is gone. Could have been handled better? Absolutely. But I don't think it is all objectively bad.

GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: It's was a main branch of DC. It had WildC.A.T.S.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ramiaquizzlinger
    RamiaQuizzlinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up with the DCAU (DC Animated Universe). I never read the comics. At first, it was because I couldn't afford them, then because comics are notorious for changing stories. I didn't really have a problem with some of the changes I heard about - for example, taking the early Detective Comics Batman and making him into Bruce Wayne, or later when they tried to get him to match the show, or when they took the camp out and made him dark. I get it, although if I were the writers then I'd simply make new sets of comics instead of changing it (like selling Batman: Original, The New Adventures of Batman, and Batman: Dark Knight all at the same time. Then you get to please everybody without alienating people).

Most of these changes were to either make the characters fit into the general universe DC was creating (instead of being separate stories), to prevent themselves from getting sued or shut down (usually for violence), or to bring back the character people were used to when the sue-happy people shut up.

However, a lot of the changes were to keep the stories HIP or NEW or MODERN or INTERESTING. I always found it funny how many ways the comic industry found to spell CRAP. I love alternate versions of a character (Owlman and Superwoman from Earth 3 are my favorite villains evar), but to switch to a new Earth entirely or change timelines or whatever they did for New 52 and COIE and all the rest is retarded. Even if we can follow the story, how are we supposed to like it? I mean, we love these characters, then they change into whole new personalities?!

If DC is willing to insult all their old fans and old characters to gain new ones, I say let them. I never bought their comics, and they aren't getting a cent for those from me. Especially since Harley Quinn kills kids now and Huntress isn't even Helena Bertinelli anymore.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

I think people were just as enraged with COIE, but there was no internet where people could b*tch about it in masses. Though, I will admit, COIE was a better reboot than New 52, and more necessary, COIE did it to fix continuity, New 52 did it just to increase sales.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@waezi2 said:

There have been reboots before, but not one that enraged the fans as much and spitted them in the middle like this.

You sure about that? The only difference this time is the internet exists.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: And Stormwatch that's actually why they named the company Wildstorm from WildC.A.T.S. and Stormwatch.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@attatje said:

@allstarsuperman: And Stormwatch that's actually why they named the company Wildstorm from WildC.A.T.S. and Stormwatch.

well that's a fun fact

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kidchipotle

I actually really like the New 52 reboot. Also they are combining the Vertigo and Wildstorm timelines with DCU. I'm pretty sure that's the difference.

Which was a horrible idea because now most of those characters no longer exist or are disgraces of their former selves.

Wyrmdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wyrmdog

@arturocalakayvee: Yeah, if they're going to roll them together, the least they can do is actually use them and not discard them so cavalierly. I am a biased longtime Wildstorm fan though. That said, it does seem a tad problematic to have the Amazons and the Coda in the same universe, the Kherans and Daemonites in a setting that includes Lanterns. Though weren't they part of a parallel universe or something?

GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: To each their own. I mean sure I can sit around and bitch and moan about the differences and changes of the characters or I can give it an honest try and take it for what it's worth.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My feeling is that it's really a matter of time. DC has done prior reboots such as after COIE before, and while initially bad, the rebooted universe became the comfortable status quo.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.