Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

Identify these gods; Who are the Circle of Eternity?

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By KnightRise

This is indeed quite late, but I didn't see this thread on the forum. (Trust me, I searched.) As every single Viner knows by now, the, what seems like one month and four day old, Free Comic Book Day issue of DC's the New 52 was definitely not without its shockers. Yes, I know what anyone unfortunately bored enough to read this meek blog is thinking: "Man, I bet KnightRise is a handsome devil." Ok, jokes aside: I'm an 8/10...But seriously: I am. Anywho, back to comic book speculation. One of the biggest reveals was tenderly touched upon in G-Man's article. The issue revealed a group of ominous and adherently powerful players in the magical realm of the DCnU. Who are the Circle of Eternity? Specifically, what are the names of the higher beng that make up this diverse new Pantheon of gods? I've taken the liberty of dubbing them "the Magic Maestros" (Atentive readers will catch tthe two Hulk references). So, which gods are they? And what is their authority over magical affairs and the great and powerful wizard Oz Shazam himself? Its something that been driving me a little crazier than usual (So she grabs a kitchen knife to defend herself...) and rather than take an hour or two to Google ancient world gods, I'm presenting the question here. Who are they? Whoo-oo, whoo-oooo? (I really wanna knowww and I also love the Who.)

I'm seeing Mid Eastern (possibly Sumerian/Mesopotamian), Celtic (based on red-hair and flannel-patterned frock), Chinese, African/Aborhiginee, clearly Egyptian, clearly Japanese, and Meso-American.

Does anyone know for sure? Any mythology buffs that already googled all this? Any guesses? Hell, any comments? Anyone? At all? Please?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#1  Edited By cbishop

I'd say you've nailed the countries pretty well, but my only guess would be that the Egyptian might be Isis. Beyond that, this is going to be a wait-and-see thing. The guy in the middle has a lightning bolt on his chest, and the cape, although longer, hangs in a sort of Captain Marvel fashion. He at least may be connected to the SHAZAM acronymn. I'd speculate that they all are reinterpretations of the gods connected to the SHAZAM power, but there's one too many there for that to be so.

Actually, looking at them even closer, they've all got lightning bolts in their costuming (the Mid Eastern one we can't really see, but he has lightning/energy seeping from his eyes). Maybe these are a collective of lightning/storm gods, from various pantheons? If that's the case though, the Celtic one doesn't make sense, since Thor is male. Then again, the gods frequently changed their forms, even into animals in some cases. Maybe these days, Thor is a woman. That would certainly distance DC's version from Marvel's. ;)

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KnightRise

@cbishop: I wish I remembered what i ussed to know abut ancient world. The only Japanese gods I remember are Izanami, Amaterasu, and Susanoo. Susanoo seems plausible for this, Raijin/Raiden too but Raijin is typically just a shinto spirit, not a god.

I think the Celtic looking woman could be pagan god from Scandanavian lore, so a Thor connection isnt out of the question. The Egyptian woman is probably Isis, which would add a new link to Black Adam

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AtPhantom

I'm not sure they're gods at all. Doesn't it say somewhere that they're all just high level wizards or something?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

The only one I can guess is Shazam in the middle..everyone else..dunno, but they look awesome.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ms__omega

@The Stegman said:

The only one I can guess is Shazam in the middle..everyone else..dunno, but they look awesome.

I want to know who the one is to the left of the "Shazam" she kinda reminds me of Black Alice a bit.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Loki9876

@cbishop: yes, it could be that they're all lighting gods.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#7  Edited By cbishop

@AtPhantom said:

I'm not sure they're gods at all. Doesn't it say somewhere that they're all just high level wizards or something?

Or maybe these are all former champions of Shazam? Black Adam's body is apparently immortal - perhaps these folks are too?

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KnightRise

@cbishop said:

@AtPhantom said:

Or maybe these are all former champions of Shazam? Black Adam's body is apparently immortal - perhaps these folks are too?

Thats a good guess, i see a warrior vibe on all of them.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KnightRise

@The Stegman: @Ms. Omega: They showed Shazam's mouth in Justice League 7, he looked white to me. The man in the center here strikes me as African- or Aboriginal-influenced from the clothing and tribal paint

tgd124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By tgd124

@The Stegman: I think that the left bottom corner may be shazam, he has the closest resemblance, that or these are the gods that gave Shazam his power, and the egyptian one totally looks like isis

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@Ms. Omega said:

@The Stegman said:

I want to know who the one is to the left of the "Shazam" she kinda reminds me of Black Alice a bit.

First thought was "she looks like Black Alice" lol

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Trodorne

It could be the Shazam family from previous years. which its members also seem to make up the number of kids Billy Batson is also living with in his current foster home.... hmmmmm which is also multi-cultural.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Zeus is in the middle.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lamenoire

Maybe they are Gods, and the guy in the middle is Zeus (and the guy on the right is Oggar, since at first the name was Shazamo...).

But I think those aren't gods, but Champions. and the guy in the Middle is Shazam himself (well, he looks like him : http://www.comicvine.com/shazam/29-2365/all-images/108-199574/champion/105-1637509/)

Maybe at first each god chose one mortal...

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KnightRise

@Lamenoire: @tgd124: @The Stegman: You're right, the one in the middle is Shazam. I'm guessing he looks ancient in present day because his magic is waning.

Thor_2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're gods. The one in the middle could be Zeus, but might be an african god. He could also be shazam, but I thought shazam was white so don't think it is. From the right of him that looks like Isis, left is a Chinese goddess might be Lei Gong. The Japanese God is Susano, the celt might be Cerridean. Muslim and Mayan gods I have no clue.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The only one I'm sure is in there is Isis.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.