Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

DC reverse eventually?

AColombia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So we've seen how the new 52 has been over the last 2 years. Honestly I hate it. The stories are not very good, the timeline is ridiculous and makes no sense (I mean come on 5 robins in 5 years) and its so confusing to know what happened and what didn't. Great characters like Wally, Donna, Cass, and Steph were benched and the rich histories of many characters screwed. Dick Grayson, never a Titan? Adopted at 16? Come on that ruins a lot of his history. Tim Drake never Robin? And don't get me started on his new origin. Arsenal with Starfire? The NTT never existed? Okay I've seen everywhere people wanting the old DCU back, even a fb group for it, and books like Batman and GL did fine without the reboot. Sales are less than pre new 52 now, writers are quitting, like Robinson quit Earth 2, people dislike the new Superman, and stories suck. And so many comics have been cancelled, Deathstroke, legion, etc. the reboot he,led Aquaman and others but improvements could be made without reboot tans someone said that eventually from Flashpoint Flash and Pandora would fix the universe or something, so what your thoughts towards DC's future?

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before I answer, I will say that an individual's opinion does not solely determine what is good and bad, especially when accompanying hyperboles.

That being said, I would't mind a partial return to the DCoU, while keeping the elements of the DCnU that were more warmly recieved by fans.

AColombia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: I'm not trying to imply others opinions are wrong, I'm just pointing out to the flaws of the DCnU and wanna know people's opinion I mean DC has got to see all the failures this is bringing and I'm curious to see people's opinions

ClarkKent1963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a DC maniac for years so I have tried to be as tolerant as I can with The New 52; but I hate it. The new designs are horrible (especially Superman and Captain Marvel [I will never call him SHAZAM]). What they did to the J.S.A. legacy is unforgivable. Redefining the J.L.A. and shoehorning Cyborg and his origin into their creation along with the coming of Darkseid; epic fail! I love Cyborg, as a member of the now non-existent New Teen Titans (he was my favorite member). Instead they've degraded him into the token minority member of a team that is supposed to consist of a group of already established world's greatest superheroes! Captain Marvel has been ruined! Adding the Wildstorm Universe to the DCU has contributed nothing good. The only positive thing in this reboot are the things that really did not change. Aquaman picked up from Brightest day as did Green Lantern. Batman was not really changed, but some of his supporting cast suffered badly (as did G.L.'s). The whole context of the crapfest really sucks! The only thing that can save D.C. now is to have the Trinity War reset continuity so that the the New 52 never happened!

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
    Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

My biggest gripe with the New52 was what happened to Static. That and the fact that not a lot was done with the Wildstorm characters nor the rest of the Milestone characters.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm happy with a large chunk of the stories I'm reading and the costume changes, but what I miss is the strong continuity DC had before the reboot. We had the JSA in the WWII era, we have the newer heroes apear like Batman, Superman, WW, etc, we had legacy heroes being passed down, Nightwing>Jason Todd>Tim Drake, Donna Troy>Cassie Sandmark. Wally West>Bart Allen, etc. It felt like a real universe. Now it's kinda scattered as if DC is making it up as they go along. And the five year plan is just plain stupid.

Having said this, I doubt DC will go back to the old universe, it would be a huge cop out.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nope, this a big part of DC's history. They did it in COIE and they will do it again. New readers will fall in love with new character's and then when all these become old DC shall reboot. The Wheel of time turns and ages come and go, as they say.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two favorite characters are Nightwing and Blue Beetle. Let it be known that I have every reason to hate the New 52, and that I was really frustrated with the changes that came about back in 2011.

However, I'm fully on board now. I can either be as much of a purist as I want to be, or I could enjoy the new stories are are coming out (at least for Nightwing, since BB is canceled). Given time, there will be many things to cherish with the New 52 characters. We'll have new battles, new amazing feats, new romances, and new heartbreaks. Ten years from now, I'm sure I'll still cherish the pre-52, but at the same time I'll enjoy what DC had done with my favorite characters as well as any changes that they've gone through

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before I answer, I will say that an individual's opinion does not solely determine what is good and bad, especially when accompanying hyperboles.

That being said, I would't mind a partial return to the DCoU, while keeping the elements of the DCnU that were more warmly recieved by fans.

I second that.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the fans of that which was lost in the old DCU, the most we can hope for is a post Infinite Crisis-like series of retcons to incorporate features of the old DCU into the New52. That's the only way JSA fans are going to get our team back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.