Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

DC Comics Announces 'Zero Month' Plus a New 'Wave' and More Cancellations

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@Ravager4 said:

@The Mighty Monarch:

TEAM SEVEN - Writer: Justin Jordan. Artist: Jesus Merino.
    Set in the early days of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52, threads of the entire DC Universe collide. As Superman emerges, so does the world’s counter measures against him and his kind. Team 7 is comprised of Dinah Lance, Amanda Waller, Steve Trevor, John Lynch, Alex Fairchild, Cole Cash, Slade Wilson — and their story will change everything you know about DC COMICS-THE NEW 52.

Ah, I feel dumb, don't know how I missed that. Oh no, wait I do. I skimmed the description because it bored me. Still feel dumb. But now I see even less reason to care. I though Team 7 would be what Trevor had Green Arrow join. Or maybe this is just about the 0 issue?

@Reginleif said:

@The Mighty Monarch said:

@Reginleif said:

@knighthood said:

@thechessclub: I agree, but with the artist moving to Talon I expect a drop in quality.

@Bobzenub said:

By the Team Seven roster it seems like Birds of Prey (Black Canary), Grifter (Cole Cash), Deathstroke and Suicide Squad will be cancelled, yet SS have pretty good sales compared to the other three.

I forgot Canary was in the Birds of Prey. So they drop BoP and replace it with another Gotham title in the Talon. Makes sense to me.

So the cancellations should be Deathstroke, Birds of Prey, Grifter, and JLI.

They are not cancelling Birds of Prey if Batman can be in 9 books, BC can be in two. Besides, isnt Team 7 set in the past?

That doesn't change the fact that Birds of Prey has been pretty terrible lately. And where did you hear Team 7 was set in the past?

It has a new arc and new artist so things are beginning to change, but the title has been well received. Also for the Team 7 being in the past, currently BC is a wanted criminal, along with Grifter and probably Deathstroke (who I think still has both eyes in that pick). It also showcases the careers of steve and mrs walter, who appear much younger and are in less established positions then they are now.

The art's been fine in BoP, it's the writing that's been completely atrocious lately. And a new arc isn't actually much of a good thing since their whole first drawn out 7 issue arc wasn't resolved whatsoever.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#202  Edited By knighthood

@sethysquare said:

@knighthood said:

@thechessclub: I agree, but with the artist moving to Talon I expect a drop in quality.

@Bobzenub said:

By the Team Seven roster it seems like Birds of Prey (Black Canary), Grifter (Cole Cash), Deathstroke and Suicide Squad will be cancelled, yet SS have pretty good sales compared to the other three.

I forgot Canary was in the Birds of Prey. So they drop BoP and replace it with another Gotham title in the Talon. Makes sense to me.

Grifter and Deathstroke are both getting an #0 so its neither.

Per IGN...

"When I asked DC about this, they confirmed that they will indeed be publishing more than 52 titles come September."

Reginleif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#203  Edited By Reginleif

@knighthood said:

@sethysquare said:

@knighthood said:

@Bobzenub said:

Grifter and Deathstroke are both getting an #0 so its neither.

Per IGN...

"When I asked DC about this, they confirmed that they will indeed be publishing more than 52 titles come September."

Yes, but I think in that article, or perhaps another they say they will gradually phase out more titles

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By knighthood

@Reginleif: True, but the IGN article proves that just because a title is doing a 0 issue doesn't mean that it'll be safe from cancellation.

Reginleif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Reginleif

I agree, it is just choosing a title to cancel (like BoP) because they are in Team 7 is not a rational action.

Still surprised no WildCATS

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#206  Edited By cbishop

@KidNexus said:

@cbishop: Good call.

Defining The Phantom Stranger's origin is a symptom that editorial (aka DiDiot) is clueless regarding DC tradition and legacy let alone in the creativity department. Plus it just cheapens a truly great peripheral character that adds substantial depth to the DCU.

Even back in the '80s when DC published that Secret Origins revival The Phantom Stranger issue featured three or four POSSIBLE origins, none of which were for certain.

Watching DC destroy itself from within is depressing.

<sigh> Nah, I think they know exactly what they're doing - they're reinventing the DCU, and they're throwing away many of the traditions associated with these characters, in favor of new ideas. This is just one (of many) that I don't agree with. But I don't have to. Their ultimate plan is to make money, and that seems to be working for them.

As I look at some of the things they're changing though, I still half wonder if this is going to be a permanent change. Marvel's Heroes Reborn storyline went on for a year plus, before Marvel went back to the status quo. They did extensive in-continuity alternate reality stories in Age of Apocalypse, House of M, and if you want to view it that way, everything between Spidey revealing his identity and Marvel retconning his deal with Mephisto as actually being a spell cast by Dr. Strange. So I'm looking at what DC's doing here, and I kind of wonder if they'll carry this on a bit longer, then either go back to pre-Flashpoint, or find a way to meld pre-Flashpoint and New 52.

That's just one theory though. I think it's more likely that the New 52 is here to stay, and they're just screwing it up in spots. Phantom Stranger is the cosmic man of mystery for DC. You don't create a second Phantom Stranger (Pandora), and then take away the mystery behind both of them. On the flipside, it has been suggested that Pandora is DC's back door to getting out of the New 52, so maybe that's what's coming. I dunno. I'm thinking of that from a business standpoint, not a story standpoint. I think that less than half of what the New 52 has put out has been good story, and the rest could be trashed - and I think DC knew that going in. From a business standpoint, I don't think DC can sustain 52 monthly titles, so I think eventually, at least their title count has to drop.

Beyond that, it's hard to call. I think DC is blinded by the financial numbers of the New 52. They had great sales the first 6-8 months, but that's artificially inflated, because it includes people who jumped on to see the new changes. Now they're trying to sustain those numbers with gimmicks like a new Zero Month and the upcoming annuals. I think the New 52 could easily sail along another year, and I think the second year would be a lot more telling in sales, as to whether the New 52 is a winner or not. The first year is the "dating phase" with the fans - still getting to know each other, so it's fun and the novelty hasn't worn off. Year two will show whether or not the two will stick together. <shrugs> We'll see.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#207  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Cancelling JLI? Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#208  Edited By Wolverine0628

Team 7 sounds AMAZING!  I love Amanda Waller, and getting her together with Slade and Grifter is gonna be awesome.
    TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#209  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@zombietag: Oh I didn't see that. Haha.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By AtPhantom

@cbishop said:

Beyond that, it's hard to call. I think DC is blinded by the financial numbers of the New 52. They had great sales the first 6-8 months, but that's artificially inflated, because it includes people who jumped on to see the new changes. Now they're trying to sustain those numbers with gimmicks like a new Zero Month and the upcoming annuals. I think the New 52 could easily sail along another year, and I think the second year would be a lot more telling in sales, as to whether the New 52 is a winner or not. The first year is the "dating phase" with the fans - still getting to know each other, so it's fun and the novelty hasn't worn off. Year two will show whether or not the two will stick together. <shrugs> We'll see.

I don't think 'blinded' is the right word. DC knows full well why their sales are so great, that's the entire idea. DC's entire policy for the past decade or so (I'd like to say since DiDio took over) has been centered around these company-wide gimmicks to boost their sales in the short term, at the expense of actual storytelling (and to be fair, it's not like Marvel is far behind in that department, but at least they don't reboot everything at the drop of a hat). Nu52 was simply the largest splash. DC is entirely unconcerned with whether the universe they've recreated can float in the long term. By the time the dating phase is over, another big gimmick will come around.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@Wolverine0628 said:

Team 7 sounds AMAZING! I love Amanda Waller, and getting her together with Slade and Grifter is gonna be awesome.

If you love Amanda Waller, how can you stand for the disservice they've been doing to her?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By SoA

talon and team 7 , def wanna read these

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By SoA

@Reginleif: everyone else has been introduced but spartan and maul, give it time buddy

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By knighthood

@SoA: Have you seen Ladytron anywhere?

celestial_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#215  Edited By celestial_man

i am supprised ressurection man is so low in the sales figures everyone buy ressurection man.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By SoA

@knighthood: i meant the original team , but no , no ladytron , majestic , tao , or savant. lol

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By knighthood

@SoA: Just checking. I wouldn't want to miss Ladytron's appearance. So are Void and Zealot are hanging around in the DCu? Sorry, I miss my Wildcats.

Void
    Void

Oh, and to stay on topic, I'm seriously thinking about picking up Talon and Phantom Stranger. The other two titles don't really interest me.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By JamDamage

looking forward to Team 7

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By SoA

@knighthood: same here on both counts , i miss the wildstorm universe and talon and team 7 interest me alot more than the others, zealot made a appearance in the latest deathstroke (art by liefeld u've been warned) and no void yet , though i barely count her bc she ended up as a suit lol

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#220  Edited By krspaceT

@BiteMe-Fanboy: If it helps, its not a fan thing, its a personal thing

And guys, really, not every comic out there is an Aquaman New 52. There are some comics that are just....average. They are needed to keep the universe...diverse. Now then, you guys could complain and wine about the 'quality' of the stories...or you could become comic book writers and find out why its so hard to make good stories

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By GrandHarrier

So, JLI is selling like 30k+ a month. Why would they cancel it?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#222  Edited By Nighthunter
    @GrandHarrier said:

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it has received some of the worst ratings of the series, or the fact that maybe that the creative team was moving somewhere else (Dan Jurgens is now in Superman and Lopresti on sword and magic)

Either way its good news. It means that sales aren't the only factor in play. That could help some titles and take care of others.
    GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By GrandHarrier

@CircularLogic said:

I have to say, I hope that it's the god-awful Legion books that get the ax, followed by Red Lanterns, Hawkman, and Deathstroke, since none of these books have gotten a good review (I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but one horrible Deathstroke Liefeld issue is enough to know it shouldn't go on, and Hawkman never seemed to have solid footing in the first place, even fan reviews were mixed at best). As long as actual good books like Captain Atom, Resurrection Man and Demon Knights, which are low sellers with great stories, stick around, I'll be happy.

And while Team 7 doesn't interest me too much, since I hate the new Amanda Waller, Talon sounds like a good idea, though I really hope that Snyder knows what he's doing and doesn't just make it another bat-book. Seeing the court expanded even further through this title is something I'd love to read.

You shut your mouth good sir!. It isn't DC without a Legion book.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By knighthood

@SoA said:

@knighthood: same here on both counts , i miss the wildstorm universe and talon and team 7 interest me alot more than the others, zealot made a appearance in the latest deathstroke (art by liefeld u've been warned) and no void yet , though i barely count her bc she ended up as a suit lol

Ha hA... I'll pass. I detest Liefeld. He is the reason I haven't even gave Grifter a chance.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#225  Edited By Mercy_

I have to say, as somebody who loved the teenage Legion stories (and read them without knowing any previous continuity, save for the LoSH cartoon), the current Legion canon is just...well, it's a cesspool. I can't even read the books without checking character pages or arc pages on CV for info to be able to understand what's going on. That's not what I want when I pick up a comic book.

I think DC missed an awesome chance with the reboot to wipe clean the previous canon and start anew with Legion.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By GrandHarrier

@Nighthunter said:

@GrandHarrier said:

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it has received some of the worst ratings of the series, or the fact that maybe that the creative team was moving somewhere else (Dan Jurgens is now in Superman and Lopresti on sword and magic) Either way its good news. It means that sales aren't the only factor in play. That could help some titles and take care of others.

Okay, sure. But it just doesn't make sense to cancel a relatively successful title when there are plenty of 20k- and a half dozen 15k- titles that could get the axe. You could always bring on a new creative team.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Nighthunter
    @GrandHarrier said:

@Nighthunter said:

@GrandHarrier said:

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it has received some of the worst ratings of the series, or the fact that maybe that the creative team was moving somewhere else (Dan Jurgens is now in Superman and Lopresti on sword and magic) Either way its good news. It means that sales aren't the only factor in play. That could help some titles and take care of others.

Okay, sure. But it just doesn't make sense to cancel a relatively successful title when there are plenty of 20k- and a half dozen 15k- titles that could get the axe.

It does if you want to keep the variety card going. Which Didio, Lee and Johns have said its one of their priorities.

We lost a justice league international book that wasn't anything like the book it supposedly paid tribute to, or even the generation lost book. Why should books like I vampire and Demon Knights go when you can cancel the other one? Also the sales of those two add diversity and have been gaining sales the last few issues unlike JLI.

Also if I'm right, Johns seems to be building for a second JL book after trinity war. Bleedingcool also has theorized it could be a new JLA. We've even seen Steve Trevor recruit its first member already and saw a teaser with classical JL members in the FCBD comic. This would make JLI even more redundant.

I like the idea of having three JL books because the team membership will probably be enormous. I also don't want the JL to be like the avengers in which we put their name to have half of our team books be avengers
    SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By SoA

@knighthood: only issue 9 of grifter and DS is liefeld responsible for ,

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By bloggerboy

An awesome book like the JLI gets cancelled while Voodoo continues on??

Reginleif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Reginleif

So not a lot of people here are talking about sword and Sorcery...it will be the new Animal Man guys

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Nighthunter
    @Reginleif said:

So not a lot of people here are talking about sword and Sorcery...it will be the new Animal Man guys

Actually I think that will be Dial H. Fans of Swamp thing and Animal man should definetly check it out.

That being said I will be checking sword and sorcery for the mere fact that it sounds awesome
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By sethysquare

@Nighthunter said:

@Reginleif said:

Actually I think that will be Dial H. Fans of Swamp thing and Animal man should definetly check it out. That being said I will be checking sword and sorcery for the mere fact that it sounds awesome

Actually it will be the new Demon Knights. Also one of the most critically acclaimed titles in the new 52

Bitchgurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Bitchgurl

Hope Deathstroke makes the cut, but if they want to cancel Suicide Squad (What was so wrong with Secret Six?) I wouldn't cry.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Nighthunter
    @sethysquare said:

@Nighthunter said:

@Reginleif said:

Actually I think that will be Dial H. Fans of Swamp thing and Animal man should definetly check it out. That being said I will be checking sword and sorcery for the mere fact that it sounds awesome

Actually it will be the new Demon Knights. Also one of the most critically acclaimed titles in the new 52

No I meant that Dial H will be the new Animal Man

Demon Knights is awesome btw.
    wolfmangideon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By wolfmangideon

If four titles need to go, then Savage Hawkman, Grifter, and Deathstroke need to be the other three.

golvellius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By golvellius

I Hope Resurrection man doesn't get the axe. Hawkman will probably get cancele and switch to Earth 2 like Mr. Terrific. I'm telling you this Liefield guy is toxic he damages everything he gets his hands on. So tu sum up Hawkman, Legion Lost, JlI, and Red Lanterns get the Axe. I think Dial H should just be a mini. I hope sometime before next year Hawk and Dove get another chance without Liefield, or at least get included in JLAdark or other title.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By knighthood

@SoA: Yeah, but I knew he was coming. Why get invested when Mr. Button Fly is just around the corner.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By SoA

@knighthood: fair enough lol

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#239  Edited By jrock85

Please don't cancel Resurrection Man, Voodoo, or Captain Atom.

Avatar image for mypasswordisnotpassword
    Mypasswordisnotpassword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blairjp23: Personal wishlistMartian Manhunter by either Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison: That would be awesome

Cassandra Cain: Never read her so I don't care

Gotham Central: As long as it's by Jeff Lemire

Red Robin: Hell Yes

Batman Legends of the Dark Knight replace Batman: The Dark Knight.: I'm fine with Batman: The Dark Knight for the moment

The Adventures of Larfleeze!: Yes as long as the son't get rid of Red Lanterns

Green Arrow's beard back: It will happen if the new show has any popularity.

Gail Simone on Suicide Squad: Just give her Secret Six instead

Tony Daniel back on Hawkman: Just cancel the book

Tony Daniel off Detective: Hell yes as long as they don';t replace him with Rob Liefeld

Grant Morrison eventually on Green Lantern: Hell yes times 100

rawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By rawr

I'd rather vomit than buy anything written by Didio. As long as they don't mess up the good vibes on Batwoman, Wonder Woman, and Demon Knights I am fine. Tho tossing Amy Reeder off Batwoman still doesn't sit well with me as the pencils they replaced her with aren't any better and she did a great Kate Kane. I was expecting to see her on one of the announced titles. Oh well.

I could see Red Hood and/or Voodoo getting tossed. I'd like to see Gail Simone back on Birds of Prey already esp if they are going to keep using Batgirl.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By cbishop

@AtPhantom said:

I don't think 'blinded' is the right word. DC knows full well why their sales are so great, that's the entire idea. DC's entire policy for the past decade or so (I'd like to say since DiDio took over) has been centered around these company-wide gimmicks to boost their sales in the short term, at the expense of actual storytelling (and to be fair, it's not like Marvel is far behind in that department, but at least they don't reboot everything at the drop of a hat). Nu52 was simply the largest splash. DC is entirely unconcerned with whether the universe they've recreated can float in the long term. By the time the dating phase is over, another big gimmick will come around.

You're probably right. I used to know a guy who worked with DC (you'll just have to take my word for that - I haven't asked permission to share his name, and don't want to) who told me how things go there sometimes. One of the things he said was a comic that lasts two years is considered a success. That was in the 1990's, so by today's economy, the year they've gotten out of the New 52 is awesome for them.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#243  Edited By Funrush

@cbishop said:

@AtPhantom said:

You're probably right. I used to know a guy who worked with DC (you'll just have to take my word for that - I haven't asked permission to share his name, and don't want to) who told me how things go there sometimes. One of the things he said was a comic that lasts two years is considered a success. That was in the 1990's, so by today's economy, the year they've gotten out of the New 52 is awesome for them.

Yeah, but wasn't the huge comic book crash in the 90's? That would make a comic lasting three or four years a success.

@rawr said:

I'd rather vomit than buy anything written by Didio. As long as they don't mess up the good vibes on Batwoman, Wonder Woman, and Demon Knights I am fine. Tho tossing Amy Reeder off Batwoman still doesn't sit well with me as the pencils they replaced her with aren't any better and she did a great Kate Kane. I was expecting to see her on one of the announced titles. Oh well.

I could see Red Hood and/or Voodoo getting tossed. I'd like to see Gail Simone back on Birds of Prey already esp if they are going to keep using Batgirl.

I thought his OMAC run was pretty good.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#244  Edited By nappystr8

The fact that Grifter and Deathstroke are on that new teem makes me think their books are definitely among the cancellations. Good riddance if that is the case for Grifter. The only one I have any interest in is Team 7. Steve Trevor was the only thing I liked about Justice League before I dropped it, and having Amanda Waller, Deathstroke, and Grifter, it is filled with great characters. Never heard of Jordan but I love Jesus Merino's art style normally. That being said, that cover has me very disinterested, those characters all look so generic. And I don't see Waller ever having braids, it was enough to get over them slimming her down.

Phantom Stranger sounds like a good series, but I just don't care enough about the character to justify picking it up. Sword and Sorcery is a very surprising choice, also holds no interest for me, but glad they are trying something new. And damn, why on earth make a Talon book? Those characters have already outstayed their welcome in my eyes.

I hope Captain Atom isn't cancelled. It is among my favorite DC books currently. It picks up spiritually right where Alan Moore left off with Dr. Manhattan. I just don't understand why so many people hate JT Krul, he's one of the best out there. The Green Arrow/Arsenal stuff was editorial mandate, he just did his best to make those events into cool stories.

snowtires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By snowtires

Sword and Sorcery and Team 7 won't last a year. Talon could be interesting, though.

SiycoBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By SiycoBat

The only thing interesting is Team 7. Since the series is set in the past, it means that Deathstroke, Grifter, and Suicide Squad being cancelled is unlikely, which is a plus. And with the bonus of learning about Amanda Waller's and Slade's past. Looking forward to the series.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By cbishop

@Funrush said:

Yeah, but wasn't the huge comic book crash in the 90's? That would make a comic lasting three or four years a success.

Marvel went through a restructuring bankruptcy, and shops were worried about that, but you have to remember: Image formed in 1992, and the Indie companies exploded after that. So the industry really grew in the 90's. DC is not throwing 52 titles a month at fans - on top of everything else the industry is putting out - because they expect them all to last three or four years. They don't expect some of them to make it a year.

Jimmie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Jimmie

So, for now on, DC won't have any more or less than 52 titles at one time?

That's stupid! Everytime DC tries out something new, something old but still good will have to go!

(P.S. How long do we have to wait for a gosh-darned Plastic Man book?!)

lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By lady_toyano

@sethysquare: Im aware that Amanda Waller was obese hence me saying I was sad to see her rebooted version went to a complete comic standard lady. Amanda has always been the big chick who was a bad azz in a position of leadership, that's why she was so appealing to me bc she was a depiction of the variety that women and people in general come in. She wasn't skinny and didn't rely on T&A to take names and be revered bc she was a boss character with attitude, conviction, a sharp mind, and fortitude. Her weight has fluctuated throughout the years to the point where sometimes she has looked like a giant circle, to all that in between, and then looking like she was just above average in weight. Between Bell Reve and the suicide squad, not putting up with the Justice League, Luther, being the face behind Secret Six , and all of her other endeavours being in the DC Universe since she came around in the 80's, she has always been to some extinct plus size and it was really cool to see that exist in the comic world because plus size folks in power do exist and she wasn't to be taken lightly for her lack of powers.

I'm not arguing that you need to be able to run a mile in 5 minutes to be black opps at all because they are all expected to be super soldiers and that's cool. I wouldn't expect anything less from a team like that. I was referring to how rare it was to see a woman like Amanda represented in comics bc in the dc and marvel universe she was the only one that represented a lot of women like me and she was not a joke character. She was business, and she wasn't helpless. Amanda knows how to operate a gun and defend herself. You don't need to be a muay thai expert to do that. The skills she had were perfect for the positions she held and the work she did with the Suicide Squad and her other teams.

The average/above average/under average Joe exists in roles of leadership and power in comics and even cartoons, but it's incredibly rare for ladies in the same position to even be noted of importance in comics/cartoons when they are plus sized or average and she definitely was a symbol of that and it was awesome!

lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By lady_toyano

@The Mighty Monarch: Oh lawd, im so late to the train. Made a post and then realized all this up here already haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.