Follow

The Green Hornet

Character » The Green Hornet appears in 400 issues.

Green Hornet, with his sidekick Kato, use martial arts as well different weapons like gas guns to fight crime, riding in their car the "Black Beauty."

Rogen's 'Green Hornet' Begins Shooting

• 52 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Seems like everyone has faith in the film...

........Really?
    ........Really?

Seems like everyone else has faith in the film but me! Earlier this morning Columbia Pictures put out a press release citing that shooting for director Michel Gondry's 'Green Hornet' film will begin later today. The release has confirmed that actor Seth Rogen will be playing the the lead role and Taiwanese actor and pop star Jay Chou will play the supporting role of Kato. Amongst them the cast includes Cameron Diaz, Edward James Olmos, Tom Wilkinson and David Harbour. Presently, actor Nicholas Cage is still in talks to sign onto the film. While shooting for the film has been confirmed to begin later today; the release date of December 17th, 2010 remains the same. 

Sorry folks, I guess it's really happening.
    Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Bobby X

I have no faith whatsoever in this film lol. Nothing about this appeals to me and I feel like this will be next year's Land of the Lost... 

I actually like Rogen for the most part  too 

I don't get it. Is this supposed to be a Rush Hour type movie?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By No_Name_
    @Bobby X: I don't know! If he's planning on using satire, why does he have to do with with Green Hornet? So lame.
    NagolNuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NagolNuff

i'm still trying to figure out why they picked seth rogen....it's like but he a chubby funny stoner guy! him=green hornet (shakes head)
    i mean don't get me wrong the guys is loosing weight and working out (saw him in an interview)...but still...

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Decept-O

This totally bites.  I don't care how slim he gets, he sucks.  Yes, his other movies were funny (for the most part) but I HATE the approach they're taking with Green Hornet.  Unless they make it more action adventure instead of stoner camp I will be O.K. with it, but I don't think that will happen. Disappointing way to start the day. 
    Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Bobby X
    @Babs:  

No idea, I think Rogen just really wanted to play a hero to break out of his schlubby guy mold and Green Hornet was the only one currently without a production schedule nowadays lol. I predict it is all going to ring incredibly false and just going to appear...forced? Yeah, I think thats the best way to describe it

@NagolNuff: 

I feel like the only reason Rogen has the role is because he co-wrote the film with his buddy (who co-writes just about all his projects with him). So essentially, they wrote the role for Rogen and they have been the ones pushing this movie on studios.

aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aouric

Rogen... Hmmmmm... Let think again, Seth Rogen... Hmmmmm... I'll be thinking about this one for a l-o-n-g time!

04nbod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By 04nbod

I never thought it would see the screen

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By burr787

I can't wait to see this. I don't care if there's no good action, it will be funny and not the Spiderman 3 kind of funny.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Green ankh

I don't understand why they cant honor the material. Even if it is funny it just means we will never really see Green Hornet be done in a very cool way.
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrCipher

@Babs 
    I am right there with ya Babs. Looks like the people who matter (the fans) AGAIN disagree with the gigantic hollywood producers who obviously do not have their fingers on the pulse of what we really want to see.

Avatar image for sandwichoftruth
    SandwichofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SandwichofTruth

I don't see why everyone thinks its going to be a comedy just because Seth Rogen is going to be in it. The reason why Stephen Chow isn't on anymore is because he was going to turn it into a comedy. I don't see why people can't understand that MAYBE JUST MAYBE a comedy actor wants to do a serious superhero/action role.

In fact, the only name attached that I'm worried about is Nicolas Cage, since his movies haven't exactly been good for the past 20 years.

Yeah, I'm still skeptical (despite being a huge Gondry fan) but lets at least give them enough time for a trailer before we show up with the picket signs.

Whiplash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Whiplash

I also have no faith in this film. No idea how Rogen fits the character.
    Isaiah Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Isaiah Bradley

Hmmm..... Not excited but will probably be forced to see it with friends who love Rogen and dont care about GH

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By No_Name_
    @SandwichofTruth: Haha, if he wants to be taken seriously in a superhero role he needs to lose that triple chin.
    bx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bx1

Michel Gondry gives me faith in this film. 

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dondasch

Passing on this one, as I've said all along.  Seth Rogen +Green Hornet+ disaster.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Babs:
    LMAO
    Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Constantine

I think if Rogen really is determined to make this good, he will.... and if his weight is the problem....

Eric Bana pulled it off
    Eric Bana pulled it off
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By King Quisling

I would of given this role to Pierce Bronson (If he'd be willing to get back in-shape for it.) With Jet Li as Kato. Green Hornet deserves more that just a spoof staring some fat slob. 

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Green Skin

Who knows this film could surprise us all.  Remeber how many people were pissed they picked Ledger to play the Joker.  Can't be any worse than some of the other  comic movies out there.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iLLituracy
    @SandwichofTruth said:
    " I don't see why everyone thinks its going to be a comedy just because Seth Rogen is going to be in it. The reason why Stephen Chow isn't on anymore is because he was going to turn it into a comedy. I don't see why people can't understand that MAYBE JUST MAYBE a comedy actor wants to do a serious superhero/action role.  In fact, the only name attached that I'm worried about is Nicolas Cage, since his movies haven't exactly been good for the past 20 years.  Yeah, I'm still skeptical (despite being a huge Gondry fan) but lets at least give them enough time for a trailer before we show up with the picket signs. "
    Seth Rogen hasn't done dramatic roles, which is why everyone is all up in arms about him on this project. Or so they think. His role in Funny People--which had a strong dramatic undertone [in my opinion, at least] was pretty well executed. Seth Rogen is talented, and I'm not saying this as a Seth Rogen fan [or I am, but I am a fan because he is talented] and he can do stuff OUTSIDE of stoner films, I know this because I've seen him do stuff outside of stoner films. There most likely will be comedy in this film, how much I don't know, but no one seems to be pissed that Downey was hilarious in Iron Man or the comedic undertone of MANY superhero films.

But primarily, people are mad that Rogen is fat. People should get over the fact, the dude has been slimming up for more 2+ years and honestly I'm not sure if Green Hornet should be held to the scrutiny due to the source material. This was a superhero that moved from radio drama to TV, not that either medium is less respectable than the usual comic book format and not that the Green Hornet hasn't graced the funny books, but it leaves A LOT open to interpretation. Am I mad that Duke was played by Channing Tatum or that Marlon Wayans played Rip Cord? Not really, because it worked for the film. 

I'm choosing to keep faith, I trust Seth Rogen's writing and acting ability and I'm anticipating him as the Green Hornet. (:
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jefprice

Well GH isn't really a superhero so much as a vigilante (It's a fine line aI guess) But I have no doubts this will turn out to be a fun film that will at the very least be enjoyable. I'm kinda shocked to see so many people saying how they hate the fact they're going to ruin GH, when most of these people saying this have admitted   

(A) They've never seen any before that was GH  
    (B) They don't no anything about GH  
    (C) I keep hearing they don;t like the approach Seth is taking. Well Seth is a big GH fan, don;t you think he would try and do it justice?  

GH isn't some ripped cut up guy, he's a ticked off PI type  vigilante with a ninja side kick. I have no reason to believe they'll screw this up. The nay sayer beg cry and moan because comic fans don't make these films, they let Hollywood ruin the franchises. Well here we have a true fanboy making the film and all everyone can do is cry about it. Yet again proving No one will ever make the fanboys (even the ones who know nothing about the subject matter and just want the whine) happy. 

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Moomin123

This might actually be a good film. I underestimated it. 
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By FoxxFireArt

You know what this makes me think of? I remember that Ben Stiller movie version of  Starsky and Hutch. Where they took an old TV drama and turned it into a satirical comedy. This is one of the problems of having a mega popular actor. They just want to make movies to attach a name like Seth Rogen to.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jefprice
    @FoxxFireArt: Do you think they'll do that? That's not what they've said they're doing. 
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @jefprice said:
    " @FoxxFireArt: Do you think they'll do that? That's not what they've said they're doing.  "
    Well, Seth Rogen is primarily a comedian. What's the point of putting a comedian in your primary lead role if you aren't aiming for a funny movie. This could probably end up being like his movie Pineapple Express. It sort of had action elements, but was still a comedy.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bruce Vain

I am with you Babs. I have NO faith in this movie whatsoever. 

I will avoid this movie like the plague. JUST like I've done with the Catwoman movie. I refuse to watch it.
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Bruce Vain said:
    "I am with you Babs. I have NO faith in this movie whatsoever.  I will avoid this movie like the plague. JUST like I've done with the Catwoman movie. I refuse to watch it. "

wow...I totally forgot that movie existed.
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jefprice
    @FoxxFireArt said:

" @jefprice said:

" @FoxxFireArt: Do you think they'll do that? That's not what they've said they're doing.  "
    Well, Seth Rogen is primarily a comedian. What's the point of putting a comedian in your primary lead role if you aren't aiming for a funny movie. This could probably end up being like his movie Pineapple Express. It sort of had action elements, but was still a comedy. "
    Yeah but many people known for comedy have crossed over and action people have done comedy, Ashton Kutcher, Steve Martin, Josh Hartnett, Will Smith, Bill Murray, Alan Rickman,   Keanu Reeves ,Bruce Willis did some action comedy,   Brendan Fraser Etc
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FoxxFireArt

@jefprice:
    I really don't think you want to use Ashton Kutcher or Keanu Reeves as an example of cross over comedians. Doesn't speak to quality.

They are taking what is generally known as a camp 60s show and they cast the role of comedian who's more famous for 'stoner' comedy roles. Nothing about that mixture says serious.

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Crazy Pan

Seth Rogan takes a big CRAP on media. All he does is add unnecessary vulgarity to films. His stuff would be better if it weren't all about getting stoned, wasted, laid, or saying the F word as many times as you could.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NightFang3

I have some faith in this movie and  Rogen but if they f**k this up then i'm done with both of them.    

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jefprice
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    "  @jefprice: I really don't think you want to use Ashton Kutcher or Keanu Reeves as an example of cross over comedians. Doesn't speak to quality. They are taking what is generally known as a camp 60s show and they cast the role of comedian who's more famous for 'stoner' comedy roles. Nothing about that mixture says serious. "
    Well they both have hit films are loved by many. Keanu did well with Scanner Darkly, Matrix, Etc And Ashton has done some good comedies and he did Butterfly Effect which was well received by many.  

As far as GH goes, it wasn't campy like Batman (though I think they did a crossover a couple times) though you're right about the fact it was a bit. However, it was more like Avengers, meant to be taken a bit more seriously. Being that Seth is a fan, I think this has a good chance. 
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Keanue Reeves is a notoriously bad actor who can hardly emote to same his own life. The first Matrix was entertaining, but they quickly became silly SFX shows.
    Kutcher has done several moderately successful to failed comedies and pretty much only one drama movie that hardly broke even.

Whether Seth Rogen is a fan or not doesn't mean he will take the movie as a serious action movie. Most likely Seth will play this role the way he has in every one of his movies. Hes going to be the fumbly ever-man who keeps messing up and needs to be saved by his Kato. They will most likely be trying to put a comedic twist on everything in this movie. Especially when you consider that Seth Rogen and his co-writer for this movie have done nothing but comedy based movies in the past.

Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I was thinking, let's say, Ben Affleck, Ashton Kutcher, Keanu Reeves or Josh Hartnett as GH. 

And, let us speculate, John Cho, Mark Dacascos, Jet Li or Tony Jaa as Kato. 

In the nineties you heard the idea of Alec Baldwin or Val Kilmer as GH, and Brandon Lee or Jason Scott Lee as Kato. 

In the eighties, Christopher Reeve or Sam Jones as GH, and John Lone or Dennis Dun as Kato, were mentioned. 

I have seen nothing of the work of Seth Rogen, but what I hear isn't always flattering. 

aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By aouric
    @Babs: He-he! Babs that won't either!
    aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By aouric
    @Babs: He-he! Babs that won't work either!
    Avatar image for blackandredflag
    Blackandredflag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Blackandredflag

you people need to relax, there isn't even a trailer out and people are saying they're not going to watch it!! Who cares if Seth Rogen doesn't fit the stereo-typical role, he's a great writer and actor. Whether this be a comedy or otherwise, I have faith he'll make it work. k?...K!

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By goldenkey
    @Constantine said:
    "I think if Rogen really is determined to make this good, he will.... and if his weight is the problem....

Eric Bana pulled it off
    Eric Bana pulled it off
    "

Seth Rogen can't hold a candle to Eric Bana. 
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Green Skin
    @goldenkey said:
    " @Constantine said:
    "I think if Rogen really is determined to make this good, he will.... and if his weight is the problem....

Eric Bana pulled it off
    Eric Bana pulled it off
    "
    Seth Rogen can't hold a candle to Eric Bana.  "
    Really?  Eric Bana?  The same guy that just epically failed as the Hulk?
    Question08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Question08

Seth Rogen isn't fat anymore.  He could probably pull off this, let's face it, lesser known superhero.  Plus Tom Wilkinson is great in anything, see John Adams for an example
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bruce Vain

The only time I've seen Seth do a movie that's not a comedy & where he was a tough guy was Donnie Darko.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43  Edited By jakob187

People need to give Rogen a chance.  Dood is a professed comic book freak, so I doubt he's going to screw up something he loves.  Instead of Rogen as Green Hornet, I think people should really be worried with Michel Gondry directing.  That dood has a very indie style to his work, and I just don't know about something like Green Hornet in his hands. 

Also, Babs...Rogen did a bit of working out for this role.  He's taking it as seriously as anyone would want him to.  I'm kind of saddened in your lack of faith in a comic book fan to do a good job with the movie and/or role based simply on his body.  I mean, how would you like it if you wore a superhero outfit and someone started talking trash about your body in that suit?  =  / 

The dood may have only done comedic roles up to this point, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the chops for other stuff.  I'm willing to give him a shot at this.  

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bio Guyver

Just cause he's a comedian and he's fat it won't work? I'm not saying this fail until I see the film.    
    5ive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 5ive

they must have him getting in shape if he wants to be taken seriously

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Media_Master

Sounds a little too early to pass judgment

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bio Guyver

Lol. I felt bad when Rogan was rejected by Fox.
    Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MoonKnightFan123

=(

Wallace Family

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wallace Family
    @Green Skin said:
    " Who knows this film could surprise us all.  Remeber how many people were pissed they picked Ledger to play the Joker.  Can't be any worse than some of the other  comic movies out there. "
    I don't remember people being pissed about Ledger

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.