Follow

The Green Hornet

Character » The Green Hornet appears in 400 issues.

Green Hornet, with his sidekick Kato, use martial arts as well different weapons like gas guns to fight crime, riding in their car the "Black Beauty."

Nicholas Cage: "Not interested," In 'Green Hornet'

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Why Nicholas Cage claims he left the 'Green Hornet' project

We reported previously that Christoph Waltz had been confirmed as the villain 'Chudnofsky' in Michel Gondry and Seth Rogen's 'The Green Hornet' film. So the question as to why the deal with actor Nicholas Cage fell through still remains. In a recent interview with the Canadian Press, Cage reveals that is was due to creative differences and vision between himself and Seth Rogen that led him to turn the role down.

"[I] wasn't interested in just being just a straight-up bad guy who was killing people willy-nilly."
    [Rogen and Gondry] "had a different take on the character" and there wasn't enough time to develop the script.
    "'The Green Hornet' was something that I wanted to do, I think Michel Gondry is very talented and I had hoped it would work but I think Seth Rogen and Michel had a different take on the character,"
    "I had to have some humanity and to try to give it something where you could understand why the character was the way he was but I don't think there was enough time to develop it."

I have but one word: wow. All of my hesitation and sentiments remain the same, for the most part in that it comes to no surprise (at least to me) that the script was rushed. The production to get the film off the ground seemed rushed. Replacing an actor with a Taiwanese pop star with no martial arts background seems rushed. Good for you Nicholas Cage. Stand up for your rights. What do you guys think?
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I like Nicolas Cage, don't get me wrong, but his "different take on the character" bits pretty much suck. I love watching his films (the summer blockbuster ones) and seeing how his character doesn't fit into the rest of that film's world because he had too much input into how his character was written.

Avatar image for the_human_stain
    The Human Stain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The Human Stain

I don't blame him. If the character CHODNOFSKY is anything like my neighbor down the street, playing him could be a career-ender.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

I personally can't stand Cage, so to see him out of the film only gives me more hope for it. 

I mean, come on...Does every villain have to be "humanized", or can't we just have a bad-guy that we just HATE and want to see get beat-up, but enjoy doing so? The term "Love to Hate" is thrown around a lot, Ledger's Joker is a great example, someone who "...Wants to watch the world burn". Apparently Cage doesn't enjoy that concept, but like I said...his poor excuse for an acting ability would only kill the movie further, IMO. 

But yeah, I also agree everything about this seems rushed and I have a feeling Rogen is going to regret moving-away from his Comfort Zone after it lands in "The Spirit" territory. I hope I'm wrong, but...it's not looking good.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @RaptorFratBoy: He's a phenomenal actor when he's not in a summer blockbuster: Matchstick Men, The Weather Man, and Lord of War
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Vortex13
    @inferiorego: Wow you just named my three favorite movies that have him in it.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @inferiorego: Agreed, completely. I just find that to be a pretty large flaw, considering he takes himself FAR TOO SERIOUSLY. 

If he was just a humble dude that admitted he fluffed it up to score the big pay-days, hey, fine. But in every interview or anything he does, you can practically smell the arrogance oozing from him. Typical Hollywood, yeah, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. 

Maybe it's that I harbor a grudge against this so-called "comic book fan" who sold his entire, multi-million dollar collection as soon as Elvis' daughter told him to. And that for such a huge Ghost Rider fanboy like he claimed to be, he sure as hell missed the point of Johnny Blaze and butchered a potential big-time franchise for Marvel. Which he further wants to ruin by taking him to Europe. Awesome.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @RaptorFratBoy: I take his actions and words with a grain of salt. I've seen his interviews, he's pretty out there. I met him (well, bumped into him) in Chicago (while filming Weatherman) and he was pretty into himself, but happy to talk. Yes, he's arrogant. Yes, he takes himself way to seriously. I personally just don't get upset anymore if a comic book film sucks when it gets onto the big screen, that's not worth my anger anymore. But that's just me, everyone else has their opinions and right to be mad at his ridiculousness. I can't personally be mad at ANYONE who was in Fast Times at Ridgemont High

BTW: Looking at his imdb page, he's been in a lot of legitimately good films.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey
    @inferiorego said:
    " @RaptorFratBoy: He's a phenomenal actor when he's not in a summer blockbuster: Matchstick Men, The Weather Man, and Lord of War "

you're right.  He was good in Con-air.  I'm still wondering where the hell the tunnel in Vegas is.  
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Moomin123

Nicholas Cage would have been good but he is better as the hero, not the villain.
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#10  Edited By Green ankh

I like Cage. Even in bad films i enjoy him. But if he didnt think the film was worth it for him it must be bad.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NightFang3

Why wont people let Cage do his thang!?

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwh

Well if the last 10 movies he's done is any indication, its probably a good thing that they didn't let Cage try and do his own thing.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Seeing what they are doing with Green Hornet it makes it look like a sort of action comedy with an over the top bad guy.

I wish instead of doing this movie he would just make National Treasure 3. I like those movies. They are great movies and smart films.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @inferiorego: Oh, again, I totally agree with you on most of what you said; don't get me wrong - I have no disillusions about Hollywood and the people that work there, as obviously most of them are going to be pretentious, arrogant, overgrown-children because they have dozens of publicists, agents, and bazillions of fans telling them they deserve to act that way. 

HOWEVER...When it comes to comic book movies, something I will always at least have hopes for when it's a property I care about, I'll take any and all pot-shots I can at the actors who - like Cage obviously does - thinks of themselves as having a "better idea" just because they're the actors, they have the names, they should be able to do as they please with whatever movie they signed-on for. Actors like Cage have become bigger than the films they make, in their minds, and THAT is where I call foul. Yes, maybe "Green Hornet" would do better if Nic Cage was starring...but that's not the point Seth Rogen wants to make. He wants to make a Green Hornet movie, not a Nic Cage movie, or at the VERY least he wants it to be a Seth Rogen movie. He got it going, after all. 

I understand the disenchanted feeling a lot of people have with comic book movies, as to not get their hopes-up, and believe me I wish I could pull myself away so I don't get burned so badly as I was when "Fantastic Four" hit theaters. and no, I'm not trying to start THAT argument with you again, either. Hehheh...it's just that I'm too damn obsessed with comics and the media adapted from them, to a point it's almost self-destructive. even something I haven't read ONE story from like "Green Hornet", I still care and hope it does well so that it reflects positively for other comic book adaptions. When some pompous ass like Cage comes along and starts saying how, in so many words, he's better than the movie, well...it grinds my gears. Plain and simple.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Media_Master

Script sounds rushed

box turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By box turtle

Good job, Nick.
    The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By The WeatherMan

I like him as an actor, but I don't think he would fit in the Green Hornet. It's probably going to be more towards comedy action, especially with Seth Rogen and Sasha Baron Coen, Nicholas Cage is more of a serious actor.
    fueljunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fueljunky

I have very low expectations for this movie.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Phorqe

Less Nick Cage films = Improvement to Society

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.