Follow

The Green Hornet

Character » The Green Hornet appears in 400 issues.

Green Hornet, with his sidekick Kato, use martial arts as well different weapons like gas guns to fight crime, riding in their car the "Black Beauty."

Let's Get It Together!!!

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

As a big Green Hornet fan, I was very happy to see Dynamite taking on the characters and having some great writers behind it. But through three issues of the Green Hornet, two issues of Green Hornet: Year One and one issue of Kato Origins, I find myself finding a lot of mistakes and contradictions.

Kato is portrayed as Japanese, even being in the Imperial Army before WWII in Year One. But in KS's book, they speak Mandarin to each other. I'm hoping that this isn't a mistake and that he learned Mandarin while at war in China. I hope he also meets a woman there and has a child, because Mulan is not a Japanese name. At least someone special to him to name her after.

Kato is also referenced his ninja training in the Origins book (I believe). In Year One, his father is a samurai and teaches him bushido. Which is it? They sort of conflict with each other. 

Little mistakes - Kato's real name in Origins is spelled two different ways- ON THE NEXT PAGE!

Frank Scanlon is up to be reelected as mayor in one issue, yet referred to as the DA in the next (his position before he became the mayor).

I want to love these books guys! Get your facts straight, it sure helps tie a universe together!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By PowerHerc
    @jloneblackheart:

I'm glad to see someone feels passionate about this character.   

The Green Hornet, the Lone Ranger and the Sub-Mariner were the only comic/radio heroes my father ever said he liked (as a boy), but the Green Hornet was the one he talked about most and I assume is was his favorite.   
    Because of this, I find myself interested in the character to see why he appealed to my father as a boy.  I'm glad someone is willing to watch out for inconsistencies and mistakes the modern creators might make or are making in an effort to keep them honest and the character true.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @PowerHerc: I always loved the old GH show. You can still find it on sometimes. As to update this, it seems to all be coming together better, which is surprising considering the amount of series that have started.  

Still don't understand why his daughter has a Chinese name though.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By PowerHerc
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " @PowerHerc: I always loved the old GH show. You can still find it on sometimes. As to update this, it seems to all be coming together better, which is surprising considering the amount of series that have started.   Still don't understand why his daughter has a Chinese name though. "

Maybe it's in vogue to have a chinese connection currently given our current trade deficit situation and our need for the Chinese to keep propping up our currency.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By batmanary

Well the Matt Wagner books are OOC. because in Kato, you see him as a boy in the 60s.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @batmanary: I haven't been reading lately, but in Wagner's GH Year One, Kato is shown as part of the Imperial Army of Japan invading China, which was in the 30s.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By batmanary
    @jloneblackheart: Exactly. The GH year one books are out of continuity.
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @batmanary: The Kato Origins seems to be in sync with the GH Year One. The main title and Kato seem to be in the same line. I don't think they are communicating with one another well. Which book is he a teen in the 60s? I know the Parallel Lives is movie continuity and the Blood Lines seems to be lining up with GH and Kato.
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By batmanary
    @jloneblackheart said:
    " @batmanary: The Kato Origins seems to be in sync with the GH Year One. The main title and Kato seem to be in the same line. I don't think they are communicating with one another well. Which book is he a teen in the 60s? I know the Parallel Lives is movie continuity and the Blood Lines seems to be lining up with GH and Kato. "
    in Kato(or maybe blood ties, they show him as a child in 60s China, grumbling about Mao.)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.