Follow

The Green Hornet

Character » The Green Hornet appears in 400 issues.

Green Hornet, with his sidekick Kato, use martial arts as well different weapons like gas guns to fight crime, riding in their car the "Black Beauty."

'Green Hornet' May Now Have A Villain?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Nicolas Cage as 'Ghost Rider'
     Nicolas Cage as 'Ghost Rider'

I can barely contain my disappointment. I don't mean to jade any of the Comic Vine readers, but I can barely repress my emotions any longer.  Is this article melo-dramatic enough yet for you? Not too long ago we had reported that Seth Rogen's latest project that is scheduled for release next summer lost it's sidekick Stephen Chow, who was set to play the role of Kato in 'The Green Hornet' film. We also reported previously that Cameron Diaz was set to play the role of the love interest to Seth Rogen's  Green HornetVariety confirmed this news yesterday indicating that she is presently negotiating for the role of reporter/love interest. So we have a hero and we have the damsel that will be in distress, so who's the bad guy? I think every film he has really ever been in, Nicolas Cage has played the hero. Okay this article might be more slanted than others I may have written, but I really can not see Nicholas Cage playing a villain! To be honest, I feel like the last really great role we saw him in was ' Moonstruck' with Cher (that was a joke, by the way.) As I lay in my bed this morning with my laptop in my lap and ' Saved By The Bell' reruns playing in the background, I close my eyes and attempt to envision a role in which Nicholas Cage has played where he was not the protagonist, or the hero in the story. I came up with zero. ' Con Air,' he was the good guy, a reformed ex-con finds himself on a prisoner transport plane where the passengers seize control, and ' Face/Off' doesn't really count since he played both the protagonist and antagonist in the film, right? My point is, I have not really seen Nicolas Cage play the role of a convincing villain character, yet apparently this is exactly what he will be doing in the upcoming ' Green Hornet' film. According to the report from Variety, Cage is in talks with Rogen and the film's producers to play the role of the "gangster villain" in ' The Green Hornet.' What do you guys think? Are you as nervous as I am at the direction in which this film is moving?  
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dondasch

Wow.  Nic Cage as a "gangster villain".  Could this get any worse?  Are you listening Seth Rogen?  You've already stated you're looking for an Asian actor with no martial arts background to play Kato, and now this?  This movie has all the earmarks of doom.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Final Arrow

Well it depends how he plays it, In Face Off he was not to bad! trying my best here LOL.

Avatar image for piratehistorian
    piratehistorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By piratehistorian

i feel like casting nic cage at all is bad news for a movie.

shugtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shugtastic

didn't nicholas cage play a "gangster villain" is "Kiss of Death opposite david caruso?  it was a rubbish movie, and i've done my best to repress the memories of it, but i vaguely remember him playing a goateed villain of a ganster or drug dealing variety.

CPTSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CPTSteve

I liked him in the villain role in Face/Off, and particularly when he was playing the villain.  I think Nic is a natural for a comic book villain role with his penchant to go over the top in emotional scenes.  Over the top works better for villains.  And he should be able to play a gangster...he is a Coppola after all.

My worry is that Green Hornet won't find much of an audience.  It's core audience is likely an older crowd that watched the original TV show.  And the older crowd really don't support the superhero genre that well.  Gen X and beyond are really kind of left behind with the whole Green Hornet phenomenon.

And I'll close with my favorite Nic Cage quote from Face/Off.

"If I let...you suck on my tongue...would you be grateful?"

DarkCanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarkCanuck

Nic Cage has ruined Ghost Rider for me, seriously, I hate Johnny Blaze now.
    Since this movie was shaping up to be pretty crappy already with the loss of Chow, the addition of Diaz and the inclusion of Nic Cage is simply two more nails in the lid of this coffin. It will, unfortunately, be a box-office smash though.

Sovereign Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sovereign Son
    @CPTSteve said:
    " I liked him in the villain role in Face/Off, and particularly when he was playing the villain.  I think Nic is a natural for a comic book villain role with his penchant to go over the top in emotional scenes.  Over the top works better for villains.  And he should be able to play a gangster...he is a Coppola after all.

My worry is that Green Hornet won't find much of an audience.  It's core audience is likely an older crowd that watched the original TV show.  And the older crowd really don't support the superhero genre that well.  Gen X and beyond are really kind of left behind with the whole Green Hornet phenomenon.

And I'll close with my favorite Nic Cage quote from Face/Off."If I let...you suck on my tongue...would you be grateful?" "
    Agreed if he plays it like he did in face off he could steal the screen, over the top and confident is the way he needs to play this and with just the right amount of style.
    comicman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By comicman1

He can't act.
    Bad choice!!!

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The Psyentist

Ugh. Nick Cage...bleh.

Alphaproto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alphaproto

Guess which movie I won't see the year this movie drops.

Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Obsurity

Not a Nick Cage fan the only movie I liked him in was Faceoff. Granted I don't know much about Green Hornet but I can't understand what Rogen is thinking. Diaz as hot as she is too old for the movie. Rogen needs to pack on some muscle mass/lose some bodyfat to look proper. They need a person with asian actor WITH a martial arts back ground. Will not watch this movie unless I'm totally palastered at an Alamo Draft House theather...

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By goldenkey

considering I don't really know anything about the Green Hornet, and don't really care, I gues I can see Cage playing a villian.  He's won an Oscar, or is 2. So he should be have the talent to do it.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By goldenkey
    @shugtastic said:
    "didn't nicholas cage play a "gangster villain" is "Kiss of Death opposite david caruso?  it was a rubbish movie, and i've done my best to repress the memories of it, but i vaguely remember him playing a goateed villain of a ganster or drug dealing variety. "

Actually he did, and he did well.....Really well.  I forgot about that movie,  He put on at leas 30 lbs of muscle and acted like a lunatic.  He was great in that roll.
    Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Citizen 14

hahaha! This sucks. I can't stand Nic. Cage anyways, but being a "ganster villian" will be horrendous.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Half the movies he makes are just plain crap. The other half are forgettable trash.
    I liked Face/Off. But not 100% percent for his performance. It was mostly because of him and John Travolta; the story and the special effects. Same with the National Treasure movies, If it weren't for his co-stars, his movies would really suck. Ghost Rider should have been better. I haven't seen Next or Knowing. Probably in protest of how bad Ghost Rider was. (There is only one movie Cage has made that I think is "great". Red Rock West. I like it because it's more of a noir ensemble farce drama.) I like Green Hornet. I've never been sold on Seth Rogan playing the character, and playing it for laughs. I don't think The Hornet has a Joker, or Lex Luthor in his rogues gallery. Isn't he more like The Shadow, The Phantom and Dick Tracy where all his rogues are faceless, nameless gangster types? I haven't seen it either yet, but I have a feeling this movie is going to suck as bad as I heard The Spirit was. Could even a great story save a mess like this? Is Seth Rogan trying to make his own version of Jim Carrey's The Mask?     

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Green ankh

This whole film is a train wreck.

I like Cage. But this whole thing is so ill set up.

shortymac47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shortymac47

nik has tried to get into several comic book based movies in the past few months, and i think he could pull off the bad look, in bangcok something he played a ver dark anti-hero who he could easily bend into a villian

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By King Quisling

:(

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By SUNMAN
    @Babs: Babs I feel you on this one. He played a villain for like 5 minutes in Face/Off.
    Unless I hear some good reviews I might just wait fort this to come out on HBO
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Decept-O

I am more peeved that Fat Ass Pot Head Seth Rogen will play Green Hornet and what he's proposed to do with Kato.  D'eerrr...  I tend to agree with DarkCanuck regarding the inclusion of Diaz; I am not that thrilled about her although I know she's got a lot of fans.   She just seems too vapid to me.  Nic Cage being in it won't prompt me to see this potential turdball.

kunglu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kunglu

The kind of villain he played in kiss of death was a Queens gudio drug dealer asshole. Not much of a super villain. I'm still shocked that Steven Chow is out. Like others here have said I don't think this will do good. Much like the great idea for a "Land Of The Lost" movie. Why not a Thundarr The Barbarian movie with Rob Schneider, Megan Fox and Russell Crow as Ookla the Mok

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tyler Starke

I was never really that excited for a green hornet film in the first place, the movie was already going to be bad,adding nic to the equation just means it's further into the negative side of the scale.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Why does Hollywood continue to recycle Nicholas Cage?

gerald2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gerald2

I think he could be good at it.

And Nicholas Cage is a good actor...with the right script. Adaptation, anyone?

Fluke-buddha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fluke-buddha
    @Final Arrow said:
    " Well it depends how he plays it, In Face Off he was not to bad! trying my best here LOL. "
    True, he was decent as the villian there. 
    spectaculous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By spectaculous

well, cage getting casted is one thing. let's just get on our knees and pray his ridiculous hair doesn't get casted as well :-(

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Media_Master

He's not the villain type, more like a goofy character

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bruce Vain

I just want this project to die and for Seth to get it out of his head that he thinks he can be  Green Hornet .

But Nic Cage can play a bad guy watch him in Kiss of Death.

WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WonderBoy1132

I can't see Nicholas Cage playing anything...

He can't act.

Sorry to fans out there.

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By GraveSp

I always kinda considered Nic to be kinda the villian in Lord of War, he was a gun runner who got his brother killed.  

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By NightFang3

That's Interesting.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By jefprice

FAce off does too count! Lol he was freaking nuts in that. He can pretty much do whatever he wants and do it decent to great. I think it'l be fine. 

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jefprice
    @AirDave817 said:
     I don't think The Hornet has a Joker, or Lex Luthor in his rogues gallery. Isn't he more like The Shadow, The Phantom and Dick Tracy where all his rogues are faceless, nameless gangster types?           "
    Those aren't good choices sense all of them had their "Joker, or Lex Luthor" in their rogues gallery.

Britt is a direct descendent of the Lone Ranger if I remember right and faced of against his enemies like Mr. X. I'm pretty sure there were others, but I don't remember much since I was like 8-10 last time I'd seen or read anything GH.
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

@jefprice: I've only seen like one or two episodes of the Green Hornet show outside of the guest appearances on Batman. The Now Comic series was pretty good, but I don't remember there being any stand-out, colorful, personality rogues. I just can't picture Seth Rogan as Newspaper Publisher Britt Reid - but then, Michael Keaton and Robert Downey, Jr. have both pulled it off. I'm just trying to picture Rogen as a dark "anti"-hero.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Kairan1979

Well, after watching the movie I think it's a good thing Cage left the project. Chudnovsky/Bloodnovsky was one of the few good things in the movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.