gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Looks like we have a mystery on our hands. We caught a glimpse at the new Reverse Flash last issue. For some reason he's killing those touched by the Speed Force. From the little we see, it opens up the door for major problems for the Flash. Barry Allen is trying to get his life back in order after being presumed dead for a while. Even with all his speed, he might not be prepared for what he finds.

Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul are reunited as the writers and art team on the book. As the story unfolds, you're going to want to pay close attention to every detail on each page. The two writers have been cryptic in interviews about the motives of this new Reverse Flash and it's a great feeling being able to read a comic and not being sure what's going to happen. Too often these days, the big stories get spoiled intentionally or unintentionally.

It's not just about the Flash and the new threat in town. We're seeing more on the relationship between Barry and Patty but what about Iris? Whenever she shows up you can't help but feel the awkwardness. Manapul and Buccellato know how the unwind the story elements. There's a great variety in the pacing and seeing Barry actually slow down for certain things gives the book a unique feeling. Even the smallest appearances by other characters adds to the overall feel of the book in it not just being about Barry.

Manapul's art combined with Buccellato's colors was missed the last couple issues. Seeing it all is like seeing an old friend. It hasn't been that long but the whole package of art, color and writing is what makes this book stand out from the others.

We get some great set up in the first part of this new arc. It's clear that soe big things are coming.

The Bad

It's issues like this that make you long for the days when issues contained an extra couple pages. While this is a book about a speedster and even though Barry does do some things at normal speed, it almost feels like some minor things had to be sped up a little, like Barry finding out what the nature of Albert's device was.

Gomez and Flash's interaction seemed a tad extreme. It's understandable why Gomez would react that way but having a conversation while fighting just felt a little weird.

The Verdict

Who is the Reverse Flash? What the heck does he want and why is he killing those touched by the Speed Force? That's the big question and you'll be glued to the pages as you try to figure out what he's all about. Buccellato and Manapul are back together after two issues and seeing the art, colors and writing reminds you why this is such a refreshing series. There is plenty that happens here but it feels a tiny bit short on action as it sets up the beginning of a new arc in a big way. With the new character and the tease at the end of this issue, it's going to be a long wait until next month's issue.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zeeguy91

This was a great issue, as usual. Can't wait to see what happens next.

HollowPrince65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I have been loving this book so far. I never thought The Flash was that cool but I bought the first trade and am hooked.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Pardon the pun, but Barry's life has yet to slow down! Seems like he's been facing at least one or more of his rogue gallery every issue at a rapid pace, not to mention his apparent run in with JLD. how the heck does he have time to be on the JL too?

adamcrouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By adamcrouch

that annual issue and the issue after as well as te capatain cold issues are probably the best so far. thoigh i havent read this issue yet. i went to two stores and neither had it. going to a third tomorrow.

IgiMancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope my LCS still have stock for this.

Shajita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shajita

I thought it was pretty obvious who the Reverse Flash is? Dr. Elias or whatever his name is?

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art has really made this book for me.

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
    Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one was fantastic.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'm just too hard on this book, but I've found the last 3 issues to be mediocre. For some reason, everyone else seems to think otherwise. Am I missing something? I mean, the art is great but as of now the story has hit a lull.

thejman251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thejman251

@shajita said:

I thought it was pretty obvious who the Reverse Flash is? Dr. Elias or whatever his name is?

- I honestly don't understand how he jumped to Kid Flash after seeing a reverse Flash icon.

- Also, can the computer not play at anything lower than half speed?

Avatar image for the_human_stain
    The Human Stain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The Human Stain
    @shajita said:

That seems too obvious.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

i can't remember who filled in the last few issues but it was a good job , with that said I am really really glad francis and booch are back as one

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Good opening issue for this arc. The last 2 issues felt like filler for this one.

Avatar image for dantetheredknight
    DanteTheRedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is my favorite issue so far. Really good!

paralaxsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 3

Loved this issue Booch is my favourite writer right now

Avatar image for coffeewithbagels
    CoffeeWithBagels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see this Dynamic Duo back in action for another great issue.

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shajita said:

- I honestly don't understand how he jumped to Kid Flash after seeing a reverse Flash icon.

Having something is better than nothing, and it's obvious that Kid Flash will be targeted by Reverse Flash, better do it in this comic other than that poor excuse of the Teen Titans.

thejman251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trebean said:

@thejman251 said:

@shajita said:

Having something is better than nothing, and it's obvious that Kid Flash will be targeted by Reverse Flash, better do it in this comic other than that poor excuse of the Teen Titans.

- Bart being targeted by the Reverse Flash? Well, that should be interesting.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#19  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

Pardon the pun, but Barry's life has yet to slow down! Seems like he's been facing at least one or more of his rogue gallery every issue at a rapid pace, not to mention his apparent run in with JLD. how the heck does he have time to be on the JL too?

this

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

#20  Edited By flazam

@the_stegman said:

this

this, this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.