Follow

The Dark Knight Rises

Movie » The Dark Knight Rises released on July 20, 2012.

Taking place eight years after The Dark Knight, Bruce Wayne has given up on being Batman, overwhelmed with grief for his lost love. But when a terrorist named Bane overwhelms Gotham City's Police, The Dark Knight must rise one more time to defeat this new menace.

TDKR Ending Discussion *SPOILERS*

• 51 results
    Avatar image for thesilverbeatle
    thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thesilverbeatle

I want to know how you felt about the ending. I did not like it for many reason and will explain why but first I'd like to know what real Batman fans thought of it. Please be honest and don't be afraid to rant.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Rumble Man
    thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thesilverbeatle

Cop out, my exact words.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MadRooster81

I loved it. I felt it fit the Nolanverse Batman story. For those who didn't like it, what did you want to happen?

Wisduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wisduck

Yeah I thought everything about the ending was corny and cheesy. Movie in general was a huge disappointment. 7/10

thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@cjbostick81:

I wanted him to die. Like Peter Parker in Ultimate Spiderman.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MadRooster81

@thesilverbeatle: Why die? How would that have changed the movie overall? Who is to say he didn't die and that Alfred wasn't just imaging him in the cafe? His way of thinking he is in a better place...peace of mind kind of thing.

I think that is what makes the ending so great. He could have died and Alfred was just imagining him alive and well. It's one of those movies endings that it is what you want it to be. I mean I'd like to think that Alred and Bruce have a strong enough relationship that there would be more to there reunion then a head nod.

thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@cjbostick81: I just would have liked him to die a hero. What you say is true, I like how they did not really clarify if he really did see him. If it is in fact that way and that it is just Alfred's way of dealing with his death that would change everything.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MadRooster81

@thesilverbeatle: Nolan is famous for making his endings subjective and open to interruption. Personally I think he died.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Personally I like that even Bruce Wayne get's a happy ending, I know it's hard to picture Bruce going off into the sunset smiling and living a fulfilled life, but the fact that it's something we rarely see is, what I feel, exactly what makes the ending even more beautiful. A story where a character, who's whole life has been about tragedy after tragedy and finally at the end of their story finds the happiness they every truly wanted. 

@thesilverbeatle said:

@cjbostick81: I just would have liked him to die a hero. What you say is true, I like how they did not really clarify if he really did see him. If it is in fact that way and that it is just Alfred's way of dealing with his death that would change everything.

I'm pretty that was Bruce Wayne he saw and not just something he imaged. Bruce looked right at Alfred and nodded to him, he was even with Selina Kyle which if it were something Alfred was imagining, I don't think he would picture her as well.
    thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@cjbostick81 said:

@thesilverbeatle: Nolan is famous for making his endings subjective and open to interruption. Personally I think he died.

If that is true then I completely agree.

@War Killer said:

I'm pretty that was Bruce Wayne he saw and not just something he imaged. Bruce looked right at Alfred and nodded to him, he was even with Selina Kyle which if it were something Alfred was imagining, I don't think he would picture her as well.

See the fact that he was with Selina Kyle threw me off a little.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MadRooster81

@thesilverbeatle said:

@cjbostick81 said:

If that is true then I completely agree.

@War Killer said:

Alfred new of Selina Kyle and Bruce's interest in her. So it's not too far a stretch to think he still imagined it. I mean I feel like there would be more then a head nod if it wasn't. Their relationship was much stronger then a simple head nod.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @thesilverbeatle said:

How so?
    thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@War Killer: I was unsure of their relationship. It's a bit of a gamble. Could they have run away together like they said? I suppose it's possible.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @cjbostick81 said:

Alfred new of Selina Kyle and Bruce's interest in her. So it's not too far a stretch to think he still imagined it. I mean I feel like there would be more then a head nod if it wasn't. Their relationship was much stronger then a simple head nod.

Yeah, but as far as we know, he still only knew of her as a criminal, and I doubt that if it were Alfred's imagination he wouldn't picture Bruce with a random criminal. I mean, it could be all in his head, but from how the scene was shown, I'm going with it being really him and that he got the happy ending Alfred had always wanted for him.

The reason there was just a head nod was because it was just like Alfred had said, he pictured him seeing Bruce and Bruce seeing him, neither of them would say anything to each other but instead they would go about the lives knowing that the other finally found the happy life they wanted for each other.
    thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@War Killer: I understand what you mean. To me how I feel about it will depend largely on what they do next.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The ending is irrelevant because Nolan isn't making anymore films.It was also predictable.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MadRooster81

@War Killer said:

The reason there was just a head nod was because it was just like Alfred had said, he pictured him seeing Bruce and Bruce seeing him, neither of them would say anything to each other but instead they would go about the lives knowing that the other finally found the happy life they wanted for each other.

And it's that the makes me think it's all in his head. It went down as he always imagined it would. Again this is why I love subjective endings. Different people see different things and interpret them different.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @thesilverbeatle said:

@War Killer: I was unsure of their relationship. It's a bit of a gamble. Could they have run away together like they said? I suppose it's possible.

I think overall, the whole idea was that Selina was never truly a bad person but simply wanted to escape the life she was living and go someplace where she could live the rest of her days happy, away from the chaos of Gotham. Bruce saw this desire for freedom/new life in her and that was why he trusted her, because he knew there was more to her. That's also why she was so willing to trust him, she realized that he understood her and could actually help her, but her insecurities were what got in the way.

Bruce was a man trapped in this never ending battle against evil, even when he was retired, he never fully left the world of Batman and when given the chance jumped right back into it. Just as Alfred wanted for him, with Rachel's death Bruce felt he had nothing to leave that world behind for and thus remained in the shadows, living his life alone and secluded as he felt his one hope for a happy life was gone forever.

In the end, Bruce realized that Gotham was in good and hands and that they no longer needed him, that the legacy of Batman would live on without him. With this realization, he along with Selina were both able to find that happiness together, leaving their old lives and Gotham behind and enjoying a happy life free from the convictions of their pasts.

Ultimately, the true happiness they were looking for they were able to finally find with each other.
    Alfolantern94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alfolantern94

My biggest issue, who will train ''Robin'' ? Since he know nothing on how to be Batman or fighting skills or gadgets or contacts.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By JSH92

Going into the movie, I was really hoping that Batman would die at the hands of Bane, andI kind of thougth he would actually. But then, as I was watching the movie, I started to have a change of heart. I'm usually the kind of guy who prefers sad and depressing stories rather than the cheery stuff, but for some reason it just didn't feel right this time. It felt too sad or something, I dunno. So, I was actually pretty happy that he survived and got to go live a new life with Selina. And even now, after I've had a bit more time to think about it all, I'm still glad that he survived. :)

thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@War Killer: I feel this is entirely possible.

@Alfolantern94: I think that he'll be just fine. Plus he may have Alfred.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@cjbostick81 said:

now that u mention it..... he might have died because in the cafe scene, after Alfred smiled and nodded at Bruce... he cried....however it doesn't explain ahy he would dream that Bruce was with Selina..

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By ComicStooge

The ending was absolutely perfect, in my opinion.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MadRooster81

@cloudzackvincent: I don't see why seeing Selina matters. I mean Alfred knew of her. Even if it's not shown, Alfred knows what Batman is doing. Is it hard to believe that Alfred would know of her and Batman's attraction to her? I can't pin the moment, but I'm sure that Alfred knew of her.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Madame_Mist

I didn't mind it but I loved the Robin reference.

cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@cjbostick81 said:

@cloudzackvincent: I don't see why seeing Selina matters. I mean Alfred knew of her. Even if it's not shown, Alfred knows what Batman is doing. Is it hard to believe that Alfred would know of her and Batman's attraction to her? I can't pin the moment, but I'm sure that Alfred knew of her.

I don't think Alfred knew of their attraction as it develops only at the latter part of the movie..buy that time Alfred has already left... if u r so sure then why cannot u pin the moment?

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MadRooster81

@cloudzackvincent: A lot of time goes by in this movie. It's hard to assume that Alfred knows nothing about Selina. I know they discuss her after she steals the pearls and then again after she steels his car from the party and then after he saves her on the rooft. I'm going to see it again tonight, so I'll be looking out for other scenes, but it's a Nolan movie, so you have to think beyond what you see.

Even if he is alive and Selina was with him. This is Nolan's Bruce Wayne and he would leave it all behind for girl. That's this version of Batman's character, he would do that.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Twentyfive

@Wisduck said:

Yeah I thought everything about the ending was corny and cheesy. Movie in general was a huge disappointment. 7/10

I can't believe you.

I agree. Can we be friends?

Oh, and BATMAN died at the end of the movie!!! Makes me glad, to be honest.

cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@cjbostick81 said:

@cloudzackvincent: A lot of time goes by in this movie. It's hard to assume that Alfred knows nothing about Selina. I know they discuss her after she steals the pearls and then again after she steels his car from the party and then after he saves her on the rooft. I'm going to see it again tonight, so I'll be looking out for other scenes, but it's a Nolan movie, so you have to think beyond what you see.

Even if he is alive and Selina was with him. This is Nolan's Bruce Wayne and he would leave it all behind for girl. That's this version of Batman's character, he would do that.

i think i m missing something here... which of my statements are u replying to..i don't remember saying that he woudn't leave everything for a girl

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By joshmightbe

There is a strong possibility Alfred imagined seeing Bruce, he had stated earlier in the movie that once a year while Bruce was off training he would go to that cafe and think about seeing Bruce there.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@joshmightbe said:

There is a strong possibility Alfred imagined seeing Bruce, he had stated earlier in the movie that once a year while Bruce was off training he would go to that cafe and think about seeing Bruce there.

Right before we see Alfred in the cafe we hear the workers tell Lucius that the autopilot had been fixed by Bruce Wayne. We can assume that he used the autopilot and lived. The Batman did die though, but now Bruce Wayne is truly alive.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By joshmightbe

@TheAnnihilator: This is a Nolan movie we can assume nothing, just because he fixed it doesn't mean he had time to use it

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Blood1991

@Rumble Man said:

@thesilverbeatle: Hate it, deus ex machina and cop out ending which lowered the quality of the movie

It made me rate the movie 7/10

So in Nolanverse nukes are not lethal?

Saw the movie last night, have to agree. Though I still give it an 8.

I felt cheated of a really epic and dramatic moment.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@joshmightbe: True, but it's Bruce Wayne we're talking about.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rumble Man

@Blood1991: Bad things happen to my fave character, bane =(

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Blood1991

@Rumble Man: Yes his voice was weird, and really other than in name her wasn't very Bane like. I mean yes Bane is cunning, but pretty sure he doesn't have an old man voice or ties to the League of Shadows. Though it did come together to make sense with the first two movies.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rumble Man

@Blood1991: I don't mind that though, it makes him adowwable

No Caption Provided
    Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Twentyfive

@Rumble Man said:

@thesilverbeatle: Hate it, deus ex machina and cop out ending which lowered the quality of the movie

I think we can be good friends.

I hate the fact that he survived.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Rumble Man

@Twentyfive: cop out boolsheet ending, except if it was a mirage like the ra's

Catman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Catman9

How does Gordon still have a job? The world knows he falsified information about Dent to keep all those criminals off the street. They deserve to be in prison but the point is they are being kept under false pretenses. The city would have a whole lot of lawsuits for keeping those prisoners in jail for years, and no way Gordon would have a job.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MadRooster81

@cloudzackvincent: Sorry for the confusion. Just given how Nolan does his endings, I'm not 100% convinced that Bruce is alive. It's could go either way. Like the techs tell fox that the autopilot sucks, but did get an upgrade. I think it's one of those endings that it depends on what you want it to be.

@Blood1991: Bane does have ties to the League of Shadows. Like in the movie he was excommunicated by Ras Al Gul.

thesilverbeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thesilverbeatle

@Twentyfive said:

@Rumble Man said:

I think we can be good friends.

I hate the fact that he survived.

THANK YOU. Tell all my friends that. People are brainwashed I swear.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KingofMadCows

I don't know why people hate the idea of Bruce having a happy ending. Nolan already made a very big change to Bruce Wayne/Batman that no one seems to have noticed. Nolan's Batman isn't nearly as haunted by the death of his parents as in the comics or the animated series. Heck, guilt over his parents' death and the desire to avenge them isn't even brought up in the second and third films. Nolan's Batman has basically made peace with it so I don't see why he can't be happy.

As for the nuke, the science in Nolan's films have always been bad. Just look at the microwave weapon in the Batman Begins. It's able to boil water from 100 yards away through concrete and yet it has no effect on humans, which are composed of 60% to 70% water. Heck, the whole idea of the fusion reactor being turned into a nuke doesn't really make sense. They even made a big mistake by saying that they've "weaponized fusion" even though fusion was already weaponized in 1952 when the first hydrogen bomb was detonated.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By InnerVenom123

People who think John Blake is going to become anything other than Batman confound me.

The entire theme of Nolan's Batman movie defies that idea.

But no, Nightwing. No, Robin.

Please.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rumble Man

@thesilverbeatle: High fives

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KingofMadCows

@Catman9 said:

How does Gordon still have a job? The world knows he falsified information about Dent to keep all those criminals off the street. They deserve to be in prison but the point is they are being kept under false pretenses. The city would have a whole lot of lawsuits for keeping those prisoners in jail for years, and no way Gordon would have a job.

Well, how was he able to frame Batman for the murders Dent committed in the first place? There are no doubt people who saw Dent going after Maroni and the crooked cops. He probably left DNA evidence in those places. There are probably security videos. Not to mention the fact that the Joker knew about Dent. Even if no one believes the Joker, he would have been smart enough to create video evidence of Dent's crimes. What about Anna Ramirez the crooked cop that Dent used to get Gordon's kid and then spared. How did Gordon and Batman get her to stay silent?

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Loki9876

I thought it was very weird that the guy was called robin why didn't she calls him Mr. Grayson or something.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Loki9876

@Blood1991:I think he fixed the auto-pilot.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blood1991

@Loki9876: Probably, but I feel it took away alittle from the emotional impact of his death

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.