Follow

The Avengers

Movie » The Avengers released on May 04, 2012.

When a threat is too much for one of the earth's most powerful heroes, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye with the help of Nick Fury (and a few others) must band together to form The Avengers.

Off YOUR Mind: What Should be in the Sequel to 'The Avengers'?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Comic and movie fans were treated to some great news this week. Disney announced that Joss Whedon would be returning to write and direct the sequel to The Avengers. It seems like a no-brainer but it was never official until now. We knew he'd have to be involved but he could have easily eased back his involvement and even settle to just produce the sequel.

With the success of the first movie, the sequels to Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor plus a movie for Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel's Cinematic Universe is getting more vast and complex. With decades of comic book history, there's also a lot of material to choose from.

Time to add new Avengers to the team?
    Time to add new Avengers to the team?

The question for this week is where should the sequel go? What should the story be? What characters should return or be added?

Try to think in realistic terms. There are reasons the first movie was such a success. When it comes to adapting comic book stories, there's a fine line between what would be cool to have included and what would actually translate well. So give us your wish list of ideas but try to keep it somewhat grounded.

Tony Guerrero is the Editor-in-Chief of Comic Vine. You can follow him on Twitter@GManFromHeck. He doesn't want to have to wait until 2015 for the sequel.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Brit

Agent Coulson as the Vision!!!!

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ScreamingGhost

They should at the very least add Ant Man and Wasp.

caughtmau5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By caughtmau5

The Sentry, MS Marvel, or being asgard is big in this universe ARES!!!!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#4  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Black Panther, ms. marvel, and/or Hank Pym and the wasp

Eonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eonidas

Stan Lee in a Starring role.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NXH

Action! Explosions! Figthing! More Action! More Explosions! More Fighting! Oh, and Scarlett Johansson! =D

nrgb2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nrgb2814

@Eonidas: YES!!!

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By moywar700

needs more female characters.The best choices would be she-hulk and ms.marvel.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Chaos Burn

Rumor is Marvel is trying to get back Galactus and Silver Surfer from FOX studios, so in that case i'd love to see these two and maybe Ms. Marvel - as she is space linked

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jcbart

Well we know that Ant Man (Scott Lang), Falcon and Doctor Strange will be added to the line up, but it would be nice to see Wasp and Warbird included!

Guarantee that Thanos will be an enemy for Guardians of The Galaxy, and not for The Avengers 2. It would be very interesting to see Hank Pym create Ultron in the sequel and for him to be the antagonist. Whedon said that for the sequel he wanted to go much smaller scale and very personal, and Ultron would make an interesting enemy for that since it would give the team something to feel guilty about.

Whedon's also said he wants at least one other lass on the team, hence why I've said Wasp since she'll be introduced in Ant Man, but maybe Warbird aka Carol Danvers (best codename for MCU I think) could get a chance to shine?

I also bet that Nova is in the Guardians of The Galaxy movie, and if he is there's a good chance he's going to be in the sequel aswell.

Avatar image for milosradmilac092
    MilosRadmilac092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MilosRadmilac092

@Brit: That would be awsome!!! :D

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JediWaffles

@moywar700 said:

needs more female characters.The best choices would be she-hulk and ms.marvel.

She-hulk wouldn't be a great addition, what with the Hulk already on the team. Too much green, if you ask me.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Phaedrusgr

i) Vision and Ultron or

ii) Kree Captain Marvel and Thanos

andrewtheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#14  Edited By andrewtheking

Ultron with build up to masters of evil

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Lvenger

Ha I see G-Man's made it into the Avengers! They must be having a recruitment drive.

1. Returning Avengers - Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk
    2. New members - Ant Man, Wasp and the Vision.
    3. Villain - Ultron as the main movie villain with a Thanos teaser at the end
    Man of Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Man of Lengend

neither Ultron or masters of evil. same team add ant man , wasp and Ms marvel or Nova

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rumble Man

Ant Man

more fight scenes for the street level characters (choreography could use improvements)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#18  Edited By Teerack

at some point hulk needs to say "hulk is strongest there is" an at one point Thor needs to yell "have at thee"

And even thought i know he wont be in it I'd love to see Kang on the big screen.

Slawter24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#19  Edited By Slawter24

wasp,ant man and vision as new members and the villain should be ultron

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I want Thanos to be the main villain with a shot of Pym building Ultron as the end so that he can be in the third

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Miss_Garrick

At the very least they need to have Wasp show up as she was the only female founder, and she got very cool in the 80's when she took the chairmanship.

She-Hulk is a automatic win for me.

Vision would be awesome, but that would mean we would have to have Ultron, which would be cool, but that would mean we have to have Pym, which would SUCK!! Sooo, we need to get two out of three.

Plot ideas: Acts of Vengeance since we have Loki mad at them anyhoo, Any of the Infinity arcs since the movie showed Thanos already, Operation Galactic Storm, the first Secret War would would be PERFECT to introduce new heroes, and the plot I want to see the most, Under Siege!

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Inverno

@Brit said:

That is theory I have been making for some time...

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ironshadow

The Pyms, Falcon agent of SHIELD, War Machine and Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel.

walteion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By walteion

they should atleast add 2 new avengers, scarlet witch & vision. or black panther & ms.marvel. or wasp & ant-man. or ironfist & she-hulk. the main villian should be ultron (i think thonas should be the villian in thor 2). new avengers tower or mansion. more about the avengers & less about shield. a love story, could be between wasp &ant-man. or between scarlet witch & vision. or black widow & hawkeye. more fighting, less talking. they should show other villians in the movie like modak or the enchantress. in my opinion, if they did all that with a good strong story, the sequal would be better than the original movie.

Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Watcherg6

@Lvenger: yes to everyone, but it thanos is at the end, he has to do something, We do not want another Rise of the silver surfer. and I wish we had a bettter DOctor Doom.

@Chaos Burn: Galactus would be AWESOME!

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chaos Burn

does anyone else think that any more Avengers would be too much on an already strained cast list?

To cope with the 1st film, they had to cut most of Caps story, had hardly any Thor, and Hawkeye was barely touched on as a hero....

I would be happy if they kept the cast as it is, and maybe gave Pym or Carol Danvers a cameo, i'd would much rather have deeper character development on the existing line up

SolthesunGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SolthesunGod

Carol Danvers. If Marvel are trying to promote her as their A-List female character they need to put her in a movie.

Captain Marvel (2012) #2
    Captain Marvel (2012) #2
    rico_3088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rico_3088

Ms.Marvel or Ultron. I would love to see Taskmaster as a side villian but don't know how they would work him in this story arc. Maybe towards the beginning fighting ironman, Cap and hawkeye or something

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#29  Edited By BlueLantern1995

Don't add Falcon to the team. Add Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Hank Pym, or Wasp...do not add Falcon.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ma_rc_01

I don't care about the law, I want Spider-man and Wolverine.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Om1kron

in a perfect world not regulated by movie licencing.

SPIDERMAN

Avatar image for underdogs_overboard
    UnderDogs_OverBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adding as an Avengers Characters?

yeah... suits me just fine...

Add War-machine?

Thanos as main villain

and more of Coulson

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Realizing how improbable it is (due to contractual bull crap), but still, a comic book fans nerdgasm would include the addition of Spider-Man and Wolverine. We're most of us thinking it, but don't dare mention it because it's just a pipe dream. Still, it's what I would want. And like Thor versus Hulk in the first movie, there would have to be a little Wolverine versus Spider-Man action ...

It's that kind of A-list presence added to the Avengers that would guarantee an even larger box office. Could be a great abridgement as well between the Avengers movie world and a much needed revamp of the X-Men movie world.

If anything, the Avengers showed us how a superhero team movie should be done. I hope Bryan Singer was paying attention. (I'm really bummed that they've decided to keep him on - his battle sequences & special effects really are dull and underwhelming).

odysseyuwrf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By odysseyuwrf

The plot of Ultimates 2 would be cool. Black Widow turns traitor (good character development), Hawkeye's family gets killed (major development), Cap gets beat to hell, Wasp (bring her in) saves Cap, and The Avengers have to save the US from falling into enemy hands. Of course, you couldn't have the soviet-themed Avengers as the villains, but you could bring in anyone from their rogues gallery to create the mischief. Hell, Ultron could already be created, watching over a prison like on EMH and have him freak out, and use the prisoners as his army.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thespideyguy

Put Spiderwoman in cap two

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Novemberx2

if a new Memberis needed: Ms Marvel (cause the avengers needs more females) as a new comer she will help the audience understand the deep world already established in previous marvel films.

Plot:

Count Nefaria as the villain. here is a corrupt general who's gunning for fury's job. after convincing a group of generic villians to break out of a shield prision, the avengers reunite, however the battle ends badly when Nitro causes an explosion which results in a heavy loss of life. the avengers are wrongly blamed and used as an escape goat.

Nefaria is then able to convince an already worried security council that the avengers are a threat. he is given control of shield Nick fury and the avengers will go on the run. Hawkeye and Black widow debate who they are more loyal to the avengers or shield. Nefaria could have some link to black widows past.

eventually the avengers will attempt to clear their names then Nefaria and shield attempts to go war with asgard through a portal based in broxton Oklahoma. the avengers stop him and thus defuse a wall between asgard and earth. Nefaria will then reveal he has super powers and take on the whole avengers team. of course he will loose but he will reveal that thanos gave him the powers and told him to attack asgard. the avengers will then realise they face a great battle ahead, The final scene will have ironman asking cap what do they do now, cap will turn an say "Assemble the ultimate avenger team" foreshadow the third film will feature all the other marvel heroes from other films.

Conclusion: Thus my vision of the avengers 2 keeps in line with the themes and tone of the first film. avoiding the the silly concepts of the vision or downright stupid and unbelievable idea's such as the infinity gauntlet, but is able incorpate popular modern avengers stories like New Avengers:Breakout, Civil War, Dark Reign and Siege in a way which would be accessible to a movie audience

general improvement, Robert Downey Jr learns to play ironman instead of himself. Captian america becomes the full leader instead of an extra.

Avatar image for trinity_stormbreaker
    trinity_stormbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely a second female avenger (my personal favourite is Ms Marvel as she's at a superman/Thor level in superhero status).

My dream is each solo sequel (Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2) introduce a new (comic book established) villain to the cinematic universe, and then each of them would unite as the Masters of Evil in Avengers 2, but I doubt that'll happen with Joss Whedon's plans for a more personal and small scale movie compared to the first, and the fact that an ensemble cast of that magnitude would be much too big despite each character being established beforehand in a different solo movie.

But yeah, definitely introduce at least one more avenger, and if it is just one, please let it be a girl (I'm not feminist or sexist, and I am a guy by the way, but I do wanna see a couple more members introduced).

Avatar image for alpha_lantern_2814
    Alpha_Lantern_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brit said:

agreed lol that would be awesome

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#39  Edited By Green ankh

Awsome idea !!!!

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deadpool25mm

@Brit said:

yes!, finaly someone see's the resemblance hh.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By feargalr

@CaioTrubat said:

@Brit said:

That is theory I have been making for some time...

I'd watch that

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By That60sGuy

I'd like to see Kang or Grim Reaper as the villain.

As new members I'd like to see Black Panther and/or Ms. Marvel. Hank Pym should be in it in some capacity even if not as Ant/Giant Man or Goliath - maybe just as a scientist who helps them out but then ends up creating Ultron... who turns evil in Av3!

And I know this will NEVER happen but I'd really like to see Mar-Vell

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By herrweis

I would like less time focused on Robert Downy jr playing Robert downy jr as Tony stark

CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaptainUseless

I don't want an alien or a person in a suit like Iron Man's to be the villain.

The Finality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The Finality

Thanos as the main villain. Bring in Ant-Man and Wasp including the creation of Ultron for a third movie. I really want to see The Vision. Not sure how I feel with the idea of Phil Coulson being the Vision, but we'd have to see how it'd turn out. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are a must. And they should first include Wonder Man, to set up for the introduction of the Vision. If only they including the X-Men series in the MCU. Then Beast could join the Avengers :P

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ThomasElliot

@odysseyuwrf said:

The plot of Ultimates 2 would be cool.

I think thats going to be the more realistic scenario... the films do seem to lean toward Ultimates storylines more.

I think they should definitely NOT blow the Thanos wad yet. Save that for A3.

Or, THUNDERBOLTS!!!!

Listen...(err.. .I mean, look here...)

Since Iron Patriot is showing up in Iron Man 3... I think a great A2 storyline would be something along the lines of Thunderbolts. Now that the world has seen the Avengers, other nations and groups are working to create their own hero teams. The first of these teams, The Thunderbolts, appears to be good guys, but turns out to be a bunch of villains. Since we're talking team on team action, we can move away from A1 (where they learned to work together to defeat one mass enemy) and watch as they have to take on their 'counterparts' one on one.... maybe the Avengers even fail, realizing the key is to strategy and not go the obvious. For an extra drama twist, you stick Rhodes/War Machine on this 'other' team... the one member who's being manipulated and doesn't realize he's working for the bad guys (it opens up the potential for some 'You're just jealous its not about you Tony!' kind of dialog between Rhodes and Stark). Or even for a good wink and a laugh, bring back General Ross as the liaison to this team. (General 'Thunderbolt' Ross in charge of the Thunderbolts... get it? Ehh... ok).

Then, the key here is you just introduced a whole new set of supes in A2... so even though they are villains, when Thanos comes to bring the pain in A3, you now have these 'Thunderbolts' to step up, help the Avengers, and redeem themselves.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47  Edited By Cafeterialoca

Honestly, I think Thanos should be covered in the GOTG movie and have a Masters of Evil team in Avengers 2. The first team of supervillains would be a thing to see.

dominion4194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dominion4194

The Avengers need a big league villain. Kang or Ultron would be great. It would be cool to see them go up against another group like the Masters of Evil. As far as new members go, Ms. Marvel, The Wasp or The Scarlet Witch would be great additions. I can't see them making Agent Coulson into The Vision. Vision is completely synthetic and built from the remains of the Human Torch android. That android was shown in Captain America. Plus you can't have the Vision with out Ultron and he is too big of a villain to fast-foward through just to add a new team member.

woopapa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By woopapa

i would like to see Pym, so that we can get to a Vision and Ultron story ,

it would be cool to see Black Panther and Wonderman.

For a plot, we already have aliens so it would be awesome to see a Kree/Skrull war.

schmidty207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By schmidty207

I think the plot for A2 will connect to the plot from Thor 2. They're saying that the Thor sequel will involve Malekith and the Casket of Winters. In the comics, he used the Casket on Earth, causing eternal winter...that ran through most if not all of Marvel's titles at the time.  

My guess is that by the end of Thor 2, Earth will be snow-ridden and will stay that way until the Avengers defeat Malekith in A2.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.