Follow

The Avengers

Movie » The Avengers released on May 04, 2012.

When a threat is too much for one of the earth's most powerful heroes, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye with the help of Nick Fury (and a few others) must band together to form The Avengers.

Gambit1024's thoughts on Avengers 2, 3, and beyond.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By Gambit1024

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a huge fan of the Marvel movies. While yes, they aren't the best-made films on the planet, I think that the continuity that these films share is an astounding accomplishment. After recently finding out that Ant-Man, the next Marvel movie I'm looking the most forward to, is going to be a part of Marvel's "Phase 2," it has me thinking about what just may or may not happen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).

To refresh us, and to inform those who aren't aware, "Phase One" of the MCU consisted of:

• Iron Man
    • The Incredible Hulk
    • Iron Man 2
    • Thor
    • Captain America: The First Avenger
    • The Avengers

After The Avengers was released, it was stated that that was only the first piece of the MCU, and will continue with Phase Two. Phase Two will consist of:

• Iron Man 3
    • Thor: The Dark World
    • Captain America: Winter Soldier
    • Guardians of the Galaxy
    • Avengers 2 (not official title)
    • Ant-Man (which is now confirmed by Entertainment Weekly)

Previously, fans have speculated that Ant-Man would kick off Phase Three, but now after I think about it, ending Phase Two with it makes sense, but I'll get to that in a second. First, let's talk about Avengers 2 by recapping what we already know:

• Thanos will be the main villain of Avengers 2.
    • Each team member will be attacked personally. Joss Whedon has said multiple times that this is the premise of Avengers 2. This leads me to believe that Thanos will do this all by himself, or he will be pulling the strings on a make-shift Masters of Evil.
    • New potential Avengers members will be introduced within Phase 2. So far, Falcon and Ant-Man are officially confirmed. Wasp, Dr. Strange, and Ms. Marvel have been heavily speculated to be introduced in Iron Man 3 , Thor: The Dark World, and Guardians of the Galaxy, respectively. This means that some members of the original movie may not make it in Avengers 2 to make room for the rookies. My money's on replacing Hawkeye and Black Widow to make room on the roster for Falcon, Ant-Man, and Wasp.

So, knowing what we know now, here are my own predictions I'll make of Phase Three and beyond:

• Ultron, who will be introduced in Ant-Man, will be the main villain in Avengers 3. Alternatively, Civil War (a topic that has been consistently brought up since The Avengers) will be the premise for the entirety of Phase 3, only to have them reunite and fight Ultron or the Skrulls (another thing that people have been speculating) or both. Either way, Ultron will be heavily involved in Phase 3.
    • If the trend continues, Phase 3 will consist of six films. My guesses will be The Incredible Hulk 2, Captain America 3, Thor 3, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, and Avengers 3.
    • The Incredible Hulk 2. Hulk's sequel has been pretty much demanded by fans after The Avengers. Kevin Feige said that if there's going to be another Hulk movie, it'll have to be after 2015. This movie would also introduce the Leader (if we're sticking to the events of TheIncredible Hulk), who would be a great character alongside Ultron. Also, maybe a She-Hulk cameo/reveal?
    • Cap and Thor are going to warrant sequels, no doubt. Cap will be closely tied to SHIELD and characters such as Falcon, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and other potential new faces such as Spider-Woman, Mockingbird, etc. Thor will be more "spacified" and will tie closer to the Guardians of the Galaxy (which I'm unsure will get a sequel, but we'll see). Other characters like Mar-Vell, Beta Ray Bill, and other characters of that vein, as well as the magic characters like Dr. Strange may also tie into the Thor sequel.
    • That brings me to Dr. Strange's movie. It'll happen in Phase Three, and if my fanboy dreams come true, will sort of introduce the concept of The Defenders. If that's true, we'll see characters like Namor, Valkyrie, and She-Hulk as well as other members of that team. In either Phase 3 or even 4, though.
    • To link the space stuff and the SHIELD stuff, I predict that in either the SHIELD TV series (which is confirmed to be set in the MCU) or Guardians of the Galaxy, SWORD will be introduced. There's where we'll get Ms. Marvel and Abigail Brand.
    • Black Panther's movie has to happen by Phase Three. It has to, right? This is a character whose fans are pretty adamant about getting this movie. If this happens, we'll no doubt have an Avengers 3 recruit, or even a Marvel Knight... Yeah, my next point.
    • What about the street heroes, aka the Marvel Knights? Marvel recently re-obtained the film rights to Daredevil and Elektra, and Marvel Studios has access to a bunch of characters in that same vein, such as Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Moon Knight. Will we get a Heroes for Hire movie? Maybe in Phase 4...
    • Lastly, and this one's a big maybe, is the idea of introducing Spider-Man to the MCU. Apparently, Sony and Disney made some sort of agreement to stick the Oscorp tower into a scene in The Avengers, but that didn't happen because the film was already done editing before this deal was done. Supposedly. But Sony would be dumb to not want in on the Avengers franchise, so maybe that's for real. That leads me to believe that in the next year or so, we'll be seeing news confirming or putting the idea to rest that the events in The Amazing Spider-Man took place in the same world as Iron Man, and will be the latest Avengers recruit. Let's also not forget Sony's other Marvel property: Ghost Rider. If Marvel gets to use Spider-Man, would they get access to Ghost Rider too? If so, a Blade/Ghost Rider/Dr. Strange movie would be entirely badass.

And that's what I think of the MCU's future. Also, if they ever need to retcon and reboot the whole thing altogether, they have an easy getaway excuse in Kang and time travel (which I hope they'll never try to pull because that'd be the biggest cop-out ever). I don't necessarily think this will happen, because Fiege has expressed interest that when Robert Downey Jr. doesn't want to be Tony Stark anymore, the part will be re-casted and the show will go on. It already happened to both Hulk and War Machine, so I don't think he'd lie about that.

That's all, folks. What are your future MCU predictions? Do you agree with anything I said, or do you think I'm being an old man and a fool? Thanks for reading!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#1  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I like your thinking and analysis. I would like to see Ant-Man, Wasp, and Falcon too. Honestly, I wish they could, I don't know make Avengers 2 Secret Wars, but that'll be a LONG time. A guy can dream that it comes sooner than later, like me for instance.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Cap10nate

@Gambit1024: Very nice. I hope Ultron factors in because he is awesome. Avengers 3 is 4 to 5 years away and they are using faiely recent stories like Winter Soldier and Extremis which are the preceding stories for Civil War. Hopefully Age of Ultron will be an awesome story and they can blend it with Civil War for the 3rd movie for an awesome conclusion.

Spawn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Spawn92

I soooooo badly want D-Man to make a cameo. He doesnt even need to speak. He can just walk into Avengers tower and Cap can just boot him back out.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

Made some edits and additions to the OP.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Gambit1024: I am very nervous about the Guardians movie, all though I loved the Avengers movie I have little to no interest in the actual comic book counterpart but GOTG and everything DnA did with them remains very close to my heart so if Marvel messes this up I will unleash the fury.

Also for the love of everything that is scientific pleas Marvel DON'T make Marvel Knights films, I do not want a kid friendly Daredevil.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

I'm incredibly excited for Ant-Man, still hoping Pym's the star of the show. If Ultron isn't the Avengers 3 villain, I'd be shocked. Black Panther is my most wanted Marvel movie out of phase 3. I'd also definitely be down for Marvel Knights, Daredevil, Punisher, Iron Fist, and Moon Knight deserve their own little corner of the MCU.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Cap10nate

@The_Tree: They almost have to do Ultron in 3. He is about the only one who wouldn't be a major letdown after a Thanos showdown in Avengers 2. I movie with the Masters of Evil would be cool if they showed all these villains coming together and forming a resistance to the heroes.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Lvenger

I like your thinking. Lots of great ideas I'd love to see in the MCU, Incredible Hulk 2, Black Panther and Dr Strange in particular. But I don't think Thanos will be the Avengers 2 villain. I mean Whedon wants to do a smaller, personal Avengers film for the sequel and you can't do that with Thanos. They need some other villain to do that. I'm guessing Thanos shows up in GOG as the antagonist before appearing to the Avengers in Avengers 3. I'd hope Ultron would be the villain in Avengers 2 but I guess that's wishful thinking.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By JamesKM716

@Lvenger: I partially agree. I think that Thanos might appear in Avengers 2, but that they'll set him up for Avengers 3. More likely is some other villain for Avengers 2 (I'm thinking Ultron but that's seeming unlikely, maybe Masters of Evil? )

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.