Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided

Spider-Man has to race across town with a newborn in hand while every NYC cop and his entire rogue's gallery comes gunning for him.

The Good

Waid and the rest of ASM writing staff have done a great job of updating Spidey and his mythos to the times while still keeping it all true to its roots. So this is definitely classic Spidey, here - - Peter can't catch a break as the entire world seems dead set against and, of course, the first thing to suffer is his social life. But then there's the also the added complication of just how much harder it is for him to keep his secret identiy now, in a time when every New Yorker's got a personal camera or a flipcam. I also like how they've fit Spidey's business into the goings-on of the greater MU - - how his usually-private grudge with Norman Osborn and his other foes has now become a matter of national securty in the wake of Dark Reign and Siege.

The Bad

I think Azaceta's a fine artist - - his style reminds me of Risso's a lot - - but I don't know if his gritty style's approriate for Spider-Man. There's a certain amount of fudging needed to make Spidey's characteristic poses work and I think he might be drawing the wall-crawler a little too realistically. His body often looked pained while in mid-swing.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

This is vintage Spider-Man - - everybody favorite wall-crawler facing almost-comedically insurmountable odds. It might run a little too soap operatic for modern readers, but it's still got plenty of chills (Doc Okc's creepy new redesign) and spills (the double whammy Spidey puts on Sandman and Electroc) to properly ratchet up the ol' thrill-o-meter. I'm always impressed with how the team's able to put a good title out in what has to be an unbelievably-demanding weekly release schedule.    

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By blueninjapanther

the cover looks amazing!!!
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Totally agree the art is just not spider-man for me. It is not bad art but, just bad art for spider-man. But, the story I am really enjoying. 

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By geraldthesloth

HATE the art.

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Tmul501
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " HATE the art. "
    Definitely. I think this is really just terrible looking, especially for a book as integral to marvel as spider-man. I mean, seriously? This is the best you can do?
    iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iloverobots
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " HATE the art. "
    Yup. 

@blueninjapanther
    said:
    " the cover looks amazing!!! "
    Yup.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Eyz

I would buy that on the cover alone!

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By obscurefan

The artist who does this book is fantastic..... on anything other than this book. In this book we have Electro blowing up ambulances, Sandman taking down helicopters, and Spidey avoiding bullets, and honestly his work just doesn't make me go "Oh man look at that," it just looks very stale, I mean his lightning attacks from Electro look like how a child draws lightning, just big jagged waves. But once again, he is a fantastic artist, but its like asking Scorsese to direct a slapstick comedy, he's just not the guy for the job.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#8  Edited By Deadcool

I would love that someone like  Marc Guggenheim, Dan Slott or Joe Kellyto write that issue, or the rest of them...
    Damn and the previous issue started totally badass.

Also I would like any other artist, instead Paul Azaceta.

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NexusOfLight

Definitely a fun read. Art's not too terrible, but I can think of a couple other people I'd rather have draw the book.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

The interior art is so freaking horrible. It ruins the book.
    Steel Surpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Steel Surpent

Am I the only one-mho thinks the characters on the covers are going to be the ones hunting the baby?

CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By CaptainUseless
    @blueninjapanther said:
    " the cover looks amazing!!! "
    Definitely agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.