Review: Amazing Spider-Man #637

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman

Back as an avenging "Spyder," Spider-Man's hellbent on saving Arachne and Arana and giving all five members of the newly-resurrected Kravinoff family the packback they've got coming. 

The Good

Forgoing anything else, it was good to read a Spider-Man who's actually funny for a change. Or, if not always laugh-out-loud funny, one who's always a smart ass. I've always been a huge fan of Joe Kelly, going all the way back to his classic run on Deadpool and the man knows how to balance humor with really dark subject matter. I also think think that this whole concept was a brilliant way to both address how Spider-Man's accumulated his own "bat family" (and to streamline it) and also finally bring back Kraven and his various successors. And, tonally, this was one of the best meldings of an "American gothic" aesthetic with a superhero storyline I've seen - - there was a palpable sense of dread dripping from every panel. I especially liked how each Kravinoff had his or her own specific variation on Kraven's fear/obsession when it comes to Spider-Man. And I loved the much-needed new direction that Kaine gets in this epilogue!

The Bad

There's, like, four or five artists working on this issue and their work's something of a mixed bag. Most times it's very evocative, but sometimes it looks ill-suited for superheroics. That is, the art's great for gothic mood and normal figures, but not dynamic action. I wasn't really feeling the back-up stories, either. The Kaine feature, in particular, reminded me of the issues I had with the original "Kraven's Last Hunt" - - how there were so many panels of a hideous monster digging, along with some broken-up literary quotes, that ended up making more for ponderous digressions than impressive storytelling techniques. 

The Verdict - 4/5

Having read "Kraven's Last Hunt" back in the day, I can say that this storyline's proven to be a worthy successor to DeMatteis/Zeck classic. In fact, it actually surpasses it in many ways. This is one of those rare "house-cleaing" stories that's manages to make the task of getting a bunch of characters in line genuinely engaging and even quite thrilling. I recommned this arc.    
    Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Emerald Dragonfly

WHAT? WORTHY?! KIDDIN' ME?! Oh my God, this is FULL CRAP. Ok, where from could villains know about Esekiel? Why Kaine was so easily beaten down by Ana and then killed, if he is considered to be stronger than Parker? Why, damn it, these Kraven guys are "YEAH COOL DAMMIT" so much that they even can fight and win Spider-Man and his allies? No, this is one of the worst stuff of 2000-2010 about Spidey. In one line with "OMD/BND" and "Shed".

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

I didnt like how it ended. It just didnt feel enough for me. But it was still good. I think this was the worst issue of the Grim Hunt arc,

Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Emerald Dragonfly

Damn, The Last Hunt has ended with Kraven delighted of his life and his winning. But, hey - now he want to kill again! What a crap, damn! ASM is a full list of most idiotic unchained cliches for now... Thanks to Quesada. And tell me - what the hell? Kraven was just the great hunter as he arrived in ASM, but now he has a family that is naturally a bunch of crazy and wild ukranian murderers! Why they all are lion-like? How much lions did you see in Ukraine? How much of ukranian families are like that one?

RomaTotti10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RomaTotti10

First off they should NEVER have brought Kraven back. "Kraven's Last Hunt" was perfect as it was. That said, I still thought "the Grim Hunt" was a good read because it was so different (dark)  form what we usually see in Spider-man stories. I also liked that it ended so fast. I wouldn't want this story to drag on for a long time.

Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Emerald Dragonfly
    @RomaTotti10:  Can't agree. That was horrible.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

I haven't read this... but I am liking the arc so far... plus I never read Last Hunt and before this story I didn't care for Kraven... can't wait to read the ending!

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Tmul501

I loved this arc.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I'm just kind of annoyed that Mattie Franklin died for nothing

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.