Follow

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Team » Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles appears in 1200 issues.

After four baby turtles were mutated by toxic goo called mutagen they were trained in the art of ninjutsu by fellow mutant Master Splinter. The Turtles different fighting styles and personalities build off one another making them a formidable team of ninja warrior superheroes.

TMNT: Why the new Bebop and Rocksteady are Awesome

• 66 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Bebop and Rocksteady. If you're a TMNT fan (let's assume you are since you're reading this), those names hit your mind with a flood of nostalgia. From their silly roles in the animated series to the collectibles to being bosses in video games, these two bring back some hopefully happy memories of your past. But let's be brutally honest here: they aren't really good characters. I know some of you probably want to flip a table or throw something at me right now, but please, hear me out! I mean, I own a couple Bebop and Rocksteady collectibles (the Funko POP! ones are directly to my left as I write this) and I also like the characters, but the original ones honestly aren't much more than memorable character designs.

No Caption Provided

How would you describe the two? Appearance is the first thing that comes to mind, of course. But what about their personalities? Both aren't exactly bright and they want to be tough but almost always mess up. But what else? Aside from their looks, what makes them noticeably different? If you read a line of dialogue that didn't have a blatantly obvious nod to warthogs or rhinos, could you tell which one said it? The two looked cool and provided fun boss fights in video games, but their personalities are totally interchangeable. Maybe I missed out on a "must read" Bebop and Rocksteady storyline in one of the comic series, but every single time I saw them, they had identical personalities.

I obviously still love 'em (how can any TMNT fan not?), but when the heroes in a half shell leave an impression because of their distinctly different personalities, it's kind of surprising these two henchmen are so similar. Thankfully, the modern versions of these classic mutants have taken some big steps to breathe new life into these two goons.

No Caption Provided

First, let's take a look at how IDW Publishing has revamped the two clowns. Yes, they're still thugs who wanted more power, became mutated (Karai hooked them up), and have interchangeable personalities, but the difference is they're now shockingly badass. I mean, they're downright frightening. Considering Bebop is still rocking the signature glasses and purple hair, him still managing to be scary is one heck of a feat. The two were created to be the Foot's muscle and now they're finally the physical force they were always meant to be. They may not be skilled and they may not be tactical, but they're powerhouses.

No Caption Provided

How excellent is that final panel? They still maintain their goofiness (they destroyed the building they were living in just for fun) and they're hilariously dated -- something which is humorously brought up at one point -- but man, they're so intimidating in this comic series. You can stab 'em, slash 'em, shoot 'em, hit 'em with explosives, and even drop a building on 'em, but they're still going to get back up and unleash all kinds of pain. Not even a swarm of Foot Ninjas were able to stand a chance against them. The duo walks away from the fight with a bunch of melee weapons stuck in them and they don't even seem fazed at all.

No Caption Provided

These two don't fully comprehend just how powerful they've become and that makes them truly terrifying. They act before they think and with their level of might, that leads to a ton of destruction and little concern for who they may hurt. These two goofballs now have a staggering amount of strength, so something as simple as a flick could seriously harm someone. In their hands, this power makes them like a tornado; they're out of control and destructive. That's exactly why Shredder and Karai don't trust them with anything too elaborate and rely on them for simple missions. You know, like attacking or defending a location and yeah, that's about it. They really can't be trusted with anything else. When they attempted to take matters into their own hands, it didn't go all that well and they humorously agreed to never tell Karai about it.

Everything you loved about the classic versions is still present in the IDW comic (e.g. much of the standout costumes remain and the foolish and violent yet still lovable personalities are intact) but now they aren't total jokes when it comes to the one thing they were created to do: fight. If you're really tempted to see these two in action, I strongly recommend picking up TMNT VILLAINS MICRO SERIES #7 and TMNT #40. They play a big role in the upcoming issue too, so you better not miss it.

No Caption Provided

While IDW embraced the classic versions and then made the mutant foes a gazillion times more formidable, the Nickelodeon animated series made some huge changes to the duo. Now, it's understandable if some of you have (or had) a negative knee-jerk reaction upon seeing the new take on the villains, but the new designs really do a great job displaying what makes the two unique. No longer are they the same character with different appearances. Now, the two have drastically different personalities and they have totally different advantages. Only one of them relies on brute force (go on, guess which one!) and they most definitely aren't dumb.

No Caption Provided

Before they became Bebop and Rocksteady, they were Anton Zeck and Ivan Steranko. Anton -- the man who becomes Bebop -- is a *ahem* smooth criminal. He's slick and utilizes technology to steal whatever he's going after. Unlike the strong and reckless Bebop you've come to know, this one is swift. He literally and figuratively dances around his opponents' attacks, can activate a cloaking device, has enhanced vision modes (thanks to his visor), and fires projectiles from his belt. And the purple mohawk? It can fire blasts which explode on impact. Yes, really.

Aside from eventually becoming a mutant warthog and having some nods to the older version, this isn't the Bebop you once knew. And you know what? That's okay. Who wants the same thing over and over? I think the show took a huge risk and it paid off big time. J.B. Smoove's ridiculously energetic voice acting is just icing on the purple cake. Seriously, I think the dude has like ten coffees before heading into the recording booth. It always sounds like he's giving it everything he's got and it definitely comes through in the episodes. Bebop's become one of the most charismatic characters in the show. Who can honestly say they expected that to happen? Oh, and best of all? He hates being called Bebop! "I am not going to be called Bebop! Got me? That is the dumbest name ever!" You can click here to see how the two mutants earned their classic names.

No Caption Provided

Bebop's quick, evasive, and relies on technology to face the Ninja Turtles, but Ivan's a mountain of muscles. Fully embracing a bunch of Russian stereotypes and sporting a thick accent (which is brought to you by Fred Tatasciore), this crime lord may not be happy with the way he looks after his mutation, but he sure is pleased with his physical upgrades. The dude's a titan now and completely obliterated Raphael and Casey Jones at the same time. Despite looking like he's just bringing sheer strength to the table, Ivan's somewhat tactical and was even able to temporarily outsmart the Ninja Turtles as they attempted to avoid him on a roller coaster. He may not be a brilliant tactician like Batman or Captain America, but he's confident, driven, and, just like Bebop, is only following Shredder because they're forced to -- it's not because they want to or that there's a sense of loyalty there.

These two have already proven they can branch off and have their own entertaining stories; they aren't two numbskulls just following orders anymore. They're significantly different from each other and that brings about a whole new dynamic. Some may not love the changes (to each their own, right?), but I think it was a creative way to give these two mutants way more depth.

No Caption Provided

The classic Bebop and Rocksteady will always hold a special place in my heart (and on my desk). They may be the same personality in two different bodies, but their attention-grabbing designs and foolish ways made so many of us fall in love with them. I don't know about you, but this TMNT fan is beyond happy that IDW Publishing and Nickelodeon have done an awesome job bringing the duo back in very different ways. In one universe, we have the two silly guys being the savage powerhouses they're meant to be. In the other universe, we have a refreshing take on them, one that's full of ginormous changes that make them even more interesting. Bebop and Rocksteady are back and luckily for us, they're awesome. TMNT fans, you have no good reason not to be following the comic and watching the show. Seriously, get on it. Now we just have to wait and see how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sequel handles them. At least in this case making them even bigger and stronger would be fitting, right?

Oh, and just in case you need more proof of just how brutal the mutants have become in the comic series, I'll leave you with this astonishing action scene from TMNT VILLAINS MICRO SERIES #7.

No Caption Provided

Well, what do you think about IDW Publishing and Nickelodeon's take on Bebop andRocksteady? Don't forget there's a new episode of TMNT this Sunday and a new issue goes on sale next Wednesday!

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Always loved these two from the old show, need to get the current TMNT run in TPB.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I hate how skinny they made Bebop. When I think of a pig man I think skinny and lanky... NOT.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

So just put them in a freaking Ninja Turtles movie already!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their issue was the highlight of the Villain Micro-Series.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never really been a fan of the this show's art style. From what I watched of it though it seemed to get the turtles down pretty well and the show came off pretty decent. Way better than the movie.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@amazingwebhead said:

So just put them in a freaking Ninja Turtles movie already!

The producers have said they'll appear in the sequel.

@tikhunt said:

Always loved these two from the old show, need to get the current TMNT run in TPB.

Yes, yes you do!!!

@teerack said:

I hate how skinny they made Bebop. When I think of a pig man I think skinny and lanky... NOT.

#KeepTMNTRealistic!

But really, I like it. Brings a whole new kind of energy to the character and he's not just a clone of Rocksteady (and vice versa).

@xwraith said:

Their issue was the highlight of the Villain Micro-Series.

I'd have to reread all of them, but yeah, it was such a blast.

@feartheliving said:

I've never really been a fan of the this show's art style. From what I watched of it though it seemed to get the turtles down pretty well and the show came off pretty decent. Way better than the movie.

That's too bad because the show has done some great stuff with the mythos. But hey, art is subjective and if you don't like it, you don't like it.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: They are supposed to be in the sequel. I believe there's concept art of them floating around the web.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By GalacticFork

The Nick version of Rocksteady is awesome, and I don't hate Bebop, but the head's proportion compared to the rest of the body is a bit jarring. It isn't outside the aesthetics of the show at all. Look at some of their other villains, but just seems a little off. I like the personality though, and Mikey was really off his game with picking names. He's usually awesome at it.

The comic versions are 7 thousand shades of amazing through. The ultimate R&B.

BUT! Don't forget the anime version of Rocksteady and Bebop!

No Caption Provided

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

That's too bad because the show has done some great stuff with the mythos. But hey, art is subjective and if you don't like it, you don't like it.

It's not stopping from watching the show or anything I can usually look past art I don't like if the story and writing is good. I honestly just haven't gotten around to watching more of the show, not that I didn't want to.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the new animated Rocksteady, but I am still trying to get used to Bebop. I think they could have put a bit more meat on his bones to make it look less weird. I still like the technology focus of the new Bebop though.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was rocksteady & bebop

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GalacticFork

@benk111: I think so, too! That bugged me throughout the article, too.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@k4tzm4n said:

@teerack said:

#KeepTMNTRealistic!

But really, I like it. Brings a whole new kind of energy to the character and he's not just a clone of Rocksteady (and vice versa).

Careful what you wish for.The Fox ADHD did a video on that.... would not recommend

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they needed the revamp and did a good job

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I really don't have a problem with Bebop and Rocksteady's new looks on the Nick version...I am a little unsure about JB Smoove voicing Bebop. Don't get me wrong, I do like the comedian and all, but I don't know.

Still, it's great to see them back!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I love IDW Bebop and Rocksteady. They don't need to be brilliant masterminds to be great characters and they are a far cry from the jobbers they were in the original TMNT cartoon.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@k4tzm4n: I wish Nick Bebop was um fleshed out more in terms of looks He can be smaller, I just don't like the skinny waist and upper arms with honking for arms. Uniformity I guess is what I'm getting at

They kind of remind me of Bradford and Fishface 2.0

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: I agree I don't like the art style but this show is great.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nice seeing Bebop and rocksteady getting some love

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like IDW Bebop and Rocksteady, but hate the Nickelodeon Bebop.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the Nick Bebop and Rocksteady.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ParaChomp

Adore what Nickelodeon has done for the TMNT brand. The company still deserves to go die already.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adore what Nickelodeon has done for the TMNT brand. The company still deserves to go die already.

whys that?

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: It's best you not know about the horrors I've seen. To put it simply, they think children will laugh at anything that causes a reaction.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely love the IDW Bebop and Rocksteady but the Nick ones are lacking that best-buds vibe.

Notathug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Although not as good as the IDW version I like how the Archie comics version veered off slightly from what they were in the cartoon. Heck that whole series veered away from the cartoon(in a good way) after the first few issues.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
    @teerack said:

#KeepTMNTRealistic!

I don't think you watch the show.

Avatar image for iragulasuperbia
    iragulasuperbia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By iragulasuperbia

Ah, this was a good article. Bebop and Rocksteady always used to be some of my favorite characters in TMNT (the IDW versions still are) though I wouldn't mind a little bit more focus on the chaos they bring - or their interaction with some of the other Foot mutants.

The interchangeable personalities weren't really something I noticed when I watched the cartoon (the original one). I was just too young to notice that stuff, and by the time I did, I was already too invested in the characters, I guess.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Why the new Bebop and Rocksteady are Awesome?"

...because they aren't.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get to watch the Nick cartoon anymore (no cable), but I've seen enough of it to know that it's a damn good show. Not really keen on just how scrawny Bebop is, but it's the one change to the duo that I would say that bout.

The IDW version of Bebop and Rocksteady is great. I appreciate them being billed as a legitimate threat and nigh invincible. It lets them get away with being morons without being useless.

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gunswordfist_

This article shows me how silly Bebop looks. But his redesign did grow on me after looking at these panels. the Nick version looks stupid though but I do love hearing that J.B. Smoove voices him. He's funny.

Anyway, his article makes me want to start reading TMNT. I have always found Bebop & Rocksteady interesting.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I havent seen a tmnt cartoon since the originals in the 90s... from reading this article, i can yell IDW did a great job making them look bad ass, however the nick version of bebop is just depressing...

I should jump on the tpb of tmnt from idw, it does look interesting.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@cyberwarrior said:

"Why the new Bebop and Rocksteady are Awesome?"

...because they aren't.

Thanks for viewing the article!

@donmeca2020 said:

I havent seen a tmnt cartoon since the originals in the 90s... from reading this article, i can yell IDW did a great job making them look bad ass, however the nick version of bebop is just depressing...

I should jump on the tpb of tmnt from idw, it does look interesting.

@gunswordfist_ said:

This article shows me how silly Bebop looks. But his redesign did grow on me after looking at these panels. the Nick version looks stupid though but I do love hearing that J.B. Smoove voices him. He's funny.

Anyway, his article makes me want to start reading TMNT. I have always found Bebop & Rocksteady interesting.

You should! It's been consistently excellent. So far, only one story didn't win me over. Not bad since they're now in the #40s.

@iragulasuperbia said:

Ah, this was a good article. Bebop and Rocksteady always used to be some of my favorite characters in TMNT (the IDW versions still are) though I wouldn't mind a little bit more focus on the chaos they bring - or their interaction with some of the other Foot mutants.

The interchangeable personalities weren't really something I noticed when I watched the cartoon (the original one). I was just too young to notice that stuff, and by the time I did, I was already too invested in the characters, I guess.

Same here.

@teerack said:

@k4tzm4n said:
    @teerack said:

#KeepTMNTRealistic!

Obviously. Great talk, teerack.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

As someone who never watched the show as a kid and have only been a fan for like the last 5-6 years, and found the original concepts of the characters to stupid to like, I really like the new Nickelodeon design. They're formidable, funny, and perhaps the 2 greatest mutant villains on the opposing side(yes Tiger Claw is still high up there but there is something very special about these 2).

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I became a TMNT fan with the 2003 show so I never liked the original Bebop and Rocksteady and they never had counter parts in the '03 show. That said their inclusion in the IDW series, while I was skeptical and completely against, has been AWESOME. They are so formidable and yes, scary is a good word for them, in short they're a great addition to the comic. I hope one day a version of Leatherhead (maybe even like the 2003 version) enters the comic to go a few rounds with B&R.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

These two have pretty cool names

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I will! I want to start by finally reading the originals.

Besides Bebop's boss appearance in TMNT II, this is what stood out the most to me about them. :P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: I will! I want to start by finally reading the originals.

@stmichalofwilson said:

Besides Bebop's boss appearance in TMNT II, this is what stood out the most to me about them. :P

Just in case you didn't already know, they sell big collections of the original run:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=teenage%20mutant%20ninja%20turtles%20the%20ultimate%20collection&sprefix=teenage+mutant+ninja+turtles+the+ultimate+c%2Caps

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

These designs fit perfectly within this universe imo.

Devil_Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought Bebop and Rocksteady were cool I remember fighting them both in the old video games. glad they kept Bebops shades they are iconic, I have a new series to pick up it looks like.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

I agree that they didn't have much depth back in the old series, but as a pair they were interesting. It's hard to think of them as individuals. What IDW is doing with them is fantastic, they should be a very tight pairing but with differing motivations. I really do love these guys though. Their design is just so cool.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

This.

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the IDW versions are awesome, the cartoon versions... not so much

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IDW versions is really cool. The cartoon version is alright.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
    @teerack said:

@k4tzm4n said:
    @teerack said:

#KeepTMNTRealistic!

Obviously. Great talk, teerack.

Bebop and Rock Steady have always been bruisers. In the current show they still are as far as fighting skill goes. The thing that really defines the two of them now is Rock Steady is really strong and Bebop uses gadgets. I don't see why Bebop couldn't have been beefier and still used gadgets it doesn't really have anything to do with him being super thin.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved that episode! The fight scene at the carnival was awesome.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love these guys!

Beata

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.