k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

This is it, friends! City Fall's final chapter is upon us and thankfully it's a total blast. Tom Waltz, Bobby Curnow and Kevin Eastman pack the script with pretty much everything we'd want to see in these final moments. Raph vs. Leo? Check. Shredder vs. Splinter? Check. Bebop and Rocksteady being stupid yet lovable? Big ol' check for that one. Oh, and the final moments are PURE fan service. Seriously, try not to smile when you reach the end -- I dare you.

It's an action-packed issue but development is by no means cast aside. Sure, this is a book that's loaded with mutants, ninjas and all kinds of chaos, but ultimately, it's really about a family and there's a great amount of heart to be found in the final chapter. The clash between Leo and Raph is immensely satisfying, and in the event you want to complaint about how the fight goes down, Waltz even makes the reasoning behind the fight's outcome crystal clear. It's a great scene and they really did an excellent job hitting us with the bond between these characters.

Mateus Santolouco ends this story on a strong note. Not only is there so much intensity and creativity behind the action scenes, but there's also so much detail and unique work put in the issue to help make each character standout and feel totally animated. Ronda Pattison and Ian Herring's coloring adds so much life to Santolouco's art. It's impressively colored and I couldn't help but stare at a certain panel of Shredder as he's standing on a rooftop. Calling it "vivid" would be an understatement. Overall, there's just a great sense of energy here and the visuals are every bit as cinematic as they should be. It's epic artwork for an epic story.

The Bad

If you've been checking out all of the micro-issues, then you may be a tad letdown with Bebop and Rocksteady's battle. It looks great and is plenty of fun, but compared to their ninja-fest in their micro-series? Come on, there's just no topping that. There's also a moment in the fight where it was unclear what Raph was doing (he leaps forward then he's further back and standing around) -- it's only two panels, but seeing as I'm really focused on brawls and stats, it caught my eye. Lastly, Splinter's performance is pretty disappointing.

It's no secret I think the visuals are astonishing, but the inclusion of stars was somewhat distracting. In some areas there's a surreal amount visible and then there's random gaps. Having a sky full of stars would be gorgeous, but instead this was somewhat jarring when placed next to the detailed characters and wonderful environments.

The Verdict

City Fall comes to a very satisfying conclusion. It's explosive and flooding with ridiculously fun action. Despite it being mostly punches and kicks, Waltz and company still manage to fill the last issue of the storyline with a fantastic amount of heart and development for key characters. As expected, Santolouco's art and the coloring remain stellar and absolutely serves as the modern look for the franchise. Issue #28 doesn't only feel like the end of something big -- it feels like the beginning of something great, too. I really hope they decide to follow-up with certain characters because they've paved quite a few new roads with this one.

IDW'sTMNT has been consistently solid but this story really is something extra awesome. If you have any interest at all in the franchise, it's your duty to read this story. I know I'll definitely buy the hardcover once it drops.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Great ending to a great arc!!

Avatar image for diabetic_vampire
    Diabetic_Vampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Diabetic_Vampire

Such a fantastic story line, Really enjoyed it. Rocksteady and Bebop will be a great addition to the series. I only had two gripes with the ending, but it's something I feel is building up to the future.

Leo vs Raph is always a fun thing to watch, but only when they both are at 100%. Leo was obviously fighting brainwashing, but his fight with Raph was lacking in the skill of a leader. Hears hoping we have a good knock down-drag out fight between the two later. and that the turtles just booked away at the end, I was hoping for a little more climatic fight with shedder at the end, but hears to the future as well.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall City Fall combined with the Villain Micro-series has been very enjoyable and consistently exciting series. My complaints being I felt like working every single character into one story arc was a bit much. I'm also not really satisfied with the ending, but am still very interested in what happens next. Overall I would say 8.5/10 for the entire story.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man if there was a way to make this a weekly series without the quality dropping then that would be just about the best thing ever!

I loved every bit of this issue...even the little things like Leo giving Slash his mask back and giving him his gauntlet...I loved that!

I really wish that Slash would have went and stayed with the Turtles though...love him and Mikey's interactions

can't wait for Northampton!!!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Man if there was a way to make this a weekly series without the quality dropping then that would be just about the best thing ever!

I loved every bit of this issue...even the little things like Leo giving Slash his mask back and giving him his gauntlet...I loved that!

I really wish that Slash would have went and stayed with the Turtles though...love him and Mikey's interactions

I was going to make this my next av, but it sounds like you'd appreciate it more:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly happened with Alopex? I thought that arrow killed her, but one of Karai's quotes later in the book suggests she's alive.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@k4tzm4n: is the next issues good jump on point?

For Christmas I'm getting vol 1-5 micro series 1-2 and secret of the foot clan. So is issue 29 a good spot until the trades for city fall and villains are out.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@k4tzm4n said:

@danhimself said:

I was going to make this my next av, but it sounds like you'd appreciate it more:

No Caption Provided

awwww....I know what I'm thankful for this year

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xwraith said:

What exactly happened with Alopex? I thought that arrow killed her, but one of Karai's quotes later in the book suggests she's alive.

She was injured and then escaped. With her speed and all the craziness going down, I have no problem believing she could have slipped away.

@allstarsuperman said:

@k4tzm4n: is the next issues good jump on point?

For Christmas I'm getting vol 1-5 micro series 1-2 and secret of the foot clan. So is issue 29 a good spot until the trades for city fall and villains are out.

Yes, the next issue is the start of a brand new story, so it'll likely be a serviceable jumping on point.

@danhimself haha! You're very welcome :D

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can't wait to read it!

Avatar image for killingjoke3230
    KillingJoke3230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bravo IDW ! Mateus Santolouco was born to carry the turtle torch into the future. The Secret history of the Foot Clan , and City Fall might be the best two turtle stories I have ever read. Please keep it coming ! Definitely wasn't thrilled with this wrap up issue , but it's hard to gripe when it's been solid gold for the past year.

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Shredder's the boss, even when he fails he gets the upper hand, he's like IDW's Dr. Doom only even more badass (If it was possible).

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

It really was fantastic. I love what they're doing but I did feel that the ending was a bit predictable in regards to what the Turtles do at the end. Still, amazing issue. This book remains at the top of my list every month.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Shredder's the boss, even when he fails he gets the upper hand, he's like IDW's Dr. Doom only even more badass (If it was possible).

How awesome was the panel of him, Karai and Kitsune?!

ALittleTooRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

City Fall was one of my favorite story arcs in recent memory. The whole arc, the micro series issues, and getting to see how each supporting character and NYC faction fit into the universe was really awesome! The story was well-written and Mateus' art was top notch. Looking forward to the next arc, but can't wait to see them dive back into Shredder's next attempt to take over the city. IDW's TMNT has become the definitive turtles universe imo. I've loved everything they've put out thus far!

Debaser25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Debaser25

Man I must be the only person that was disappointed with this story. I felt like it was just a lot of fluff. Bringing in all sorts of characters and I didn't feel that the story is in any different place than when it started. Shredders still in control. I LOVED Leo being brainwashed and was waiting for that big moment when he did something unforgivable but it never came. Obviously the next issues will have Leo dealing with this but what did he even do? I love TMNT in all forms but this one just didn't do it for me.

Quicksilver974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@debaser25: I know what you mean when you wanted Leo to do the unforgivable. I was waiting for him to kill someone and then having to deal with the consequences later on when he was in his right mind. I would say the biggest thing that Leo did that will have some serious ramifications is when he kicked Splinter in the jaw. It was like a big "F*** you!" to his family and I'm sure they will deal with all those emotions in the upcoming issues. Can't wait

KingSciarrillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KingSciarrillo

enjoyed the whole story arc...been reading since issue 1 and I am pumped to see how the aftermath changes the Turtles in new ways

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.