Follow

Taskmaster

Character » Taskmaster appears in 731 issues.

Taskmaster possesses the ability to absorb knowledge and instantly replicate the combat skills of anyone he observes. He has used these skills as a teacher to many super villains, henchmen, and even some heroes. In order to clean his record, he started working for the U.S. government as a combat instructor. Due to a set of events, he was ultimately put in as sheriff of the criminal island known as Bagalia. He currently serves as Madame Hydra's personal bodyguard.

Once he copies someone's abilities is it permanent?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Once he uses his photographic reflexes to copy someone is it permanent?  

Avatar image for infernalistgamer
    Infernalistgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Infernalistgamer

Yes.  His ability is slightly complex.  It's like perfect eidetic memory, where whatever he sees is perfectly memorized by not only his conscious mind, but his reflexes.  Any physical move he's seen done, even once, he can do.  No practice, no training.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#3  Edited By cbishop

And he doesn't have to see it in person.  He can see news footage and be able to copy the move.  (I recall that from an old story I read with him in it.)  It's the same as the girl in Heroes that could cut tomatoes to look like flowers and do kung fu moves after seeing them on TV, or play the piano after watching her cousin play.  On Heroes, they called her a "muscle mimic."

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

More proof that he can permanently retain that information, he was able to identify Mutant X as Typhoid Mary by remembering her moves.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By The Lobster

All he has to do is watch something be done, and he can do it. 

Take this for example....

No Caption Provided

DragynWulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DragynWulf
    @Jake Fury said:
    "Once he uses his photographic reflexes to copy someone is it permanent?   "

Orignially no. He had to watch a video library of people doing moves to retain the information. However, in the UDON limited series, it was changed that he had photographic memory. UDON made changes to the character to make him different and more interesting at the time because Marvel wanted to do something different with the character. 

On a side note... Taskmaster was origianlly intended to be killed by Mister X in his WOLVERINE appearance, but the writer didn't know Marvel had plans for a limited series, so that part of the story had to be re-written and instead of killing Taskmaster, Mister X is stopped by a ref and Mister X kills the ref instead.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Infernalistgamer said:
    Yes.  His ability is slightly complex.  It's like perfect eidetic memory, where whatever he sees is perfectly memorized by not only his conscious mind, but his reflexes.  Any physical move he's seen done, even once, he can do.  No practice, no training.
    There are several tragedies in this world:

1) Famine.

2) War.

3) Disease.

4) Terrorism.

5) Taskmaster not having an ongoing series.
    SuperDoahBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperDoahBoy

@The Lobster : My only problem with that little sequence is movies use prop guns that prob don't weigh as much as real guns, so wouldn't that throw off the whole sequence of moves or is he meticulous enough to account for something like that?

The way he learns moves from fighting people and watching them fight a real fight is legit and I know it's a part of his origin but wouldn't him using movies/TV to learn things be a little off considering that most of their actions are nothing more than stunts? Cause I'm pretty sure any stuntman would tell you that preforming a stunt and actually preforming said move in real life is two different things.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By fodigg

@SuperDoahBoy: Yeah, that was a silly sequence. I'll just assume he was talking smack.

---

Echo has similar powers to Taskmaster, as does his maybe-daughter Finesse. I say "maybe-daughter" because Taskmaster's powers come with a memory problem where the combat abilities crowd out other memories.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BloodTalon

I hate that memory loss BS that came out of that last minnie, the UDON one was way better in all ways.

Captain_Gunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captain_Gunky

Taskmaster was always a little silly because having photgraphic reflexes and having the ability to do something you've seen someone else do are two different things. I mean If he watches a powerlifter lift 500 lbs just knowing the correct form does not mean he's physically strong enough to do it. And watching a yoga master bend into a pretzel doesn't mean he's limber enough to do it. And watching Captain America throw his shield around, which is made of a really specific alloy, as well as having perfect balance and weight doesn't mean he can do the same thing with his taskmaster shield. Like when Azreal took over for Batman and there was that weird thing about them training him in his sleep? I always thought he must be really sore every morning when he woke up. and he must have been one on those annoying epople who was like "no I never work out I just have a really high metabolism. "

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The Lobster
    @SuperDoahBoy said:

@The Lobster : My only problem with that little sequence is movies use prop guns that prob don't weigh as much as real guns, so wouldn't that throw off the whole sequence of moves or is he meticulous enough to account for something like that?

The way he learns moves from fighting people and watching them fight a real fight is legit and I know it's a part of his origin but wouldn't him using movies/TV to learn things be a little off considering that most of their actions are nothing more than stunts? Cause I'm pretty sure any stuntman would tell you that preforming a stunt and actually preforming said move in real life is two different things.

Movies don't use prop guns, they use real guns but the bullets are blanks so they do is make a loud noise. Nothing is shot out of the guns. So it's still a real gun, but with blank bullets. I'm surprised you didn't know that. Brandon Lee the man who played in The Crow (1994) was killed after they handed someone a gun loaded with full power blanks and shot a scene, unaware a bullet head from an inert round had accidentally been lodged in the barrel. Even though the gun was pointed away from Lee, the force from the blank curved the flight of the bullet head and it shattered his spinal cord. This was huge news back in the day. 

They still use guns with blanks in them in movies to this day. Lord of War (2005) used real AK-47s because according to the director it was cheaper than getting prop guns.
    umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By umbrafeline

but why does he have to dress up as skeletor?

Rasarima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rasarima

@umbrafeline said:

but why does he have to dress up as skeletor?

He was originaly a villian

@Captain_Gunky said:

Taskmaster was always a little silly because having photgraphic reflexes and having the ability to do something you've seen someone else do are two different things. I mean If he watches a powerlifter lift 500 lbs just knowing the correct form does not mean he's physically strong enough to do it. And watching a yoga master bend into a pretzel doesn't mean he's limber enough to do it. And watching Captain America throw his shield around, which is made of a really specific alloy, as well as having perfect balance and weight doesn't mean he can do the same thing with his taskmaster shield. Like when Azreal took over for Batman and there was that weird thing about them training him in his sleep? I always thought he must be really sore every morning when he woke up. and he must have been one on those annoying epople who was like "no I never work out I just have a really high metabolism. "

That´s the bealty in him. He can do anything he sees, but he has no originality. He can trow a round shield "just like cap" as himself say in "marvel vs capcom" but it is not the same thing, its a copy, a slower, weaker, black and white copy

He can do any re-bounce shield performance that cap had previously done, but not a new one. Look, if cap is inside a room and do an amazing re-bounce throw in there taskyie can do an almost equal thing instantly, but cannot do that anywhere else, simply becouse the angles would not be the same.

He cannot create moves, just repeat then, but he can repeat then more easily than the original performer, ie, if BP do something (momentum related) very challenging to him, to taskmaster to "redo" that is plain and simple like "half moon+ forward + punch" . Of course, some of the most powerful martial arts are based on repetition, and he knows all.

He sees a lot of television tho, to keep updated one may say.

I like taskie because of that, he can copy everything batman does, but he cannot be the bat, or cap, or daredevil...he is a Player in a videogame sort of, and i can relate to that

SuperDoahBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SuperDoahBoy

@The Lobster

They still use guns with blanks in them in movies to this day. Lord of War (2005) used real AK-47s because according to the director it was cheaper than getting prop guns.

Of course I've heard about the Brandon Lee incident and to be honest I didn't know that about Lord of War, but I kinda find it hard to believe that with all of the movies being made all of the world and the fact that there is such a thing as prop guns that every movie is made using real guns. Maybe all of the movies you've seen used real guns, but I'm a fan a bad action movies from all over the world and I've seen some that have used prop guns.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The Lobster
    @SuperDoahBoy said:

@The Lobster

Of course I've heard about the Brandon Lee incident and to be honest I didn't know that about Lord of War, but I kinda find it hard to believe that with all of the movies being made all of the world and the fact that there is such a thing as prop guns that every movie is made using real guns. Maybe all of the movies you've seen used real guns, but I'm a fan a bad action movies from all over the world and I've seen some that have used prop guns.

I see, sure not every movie is made with prop guns and not every movie is made with real guns. Although It's safe to say that about 85% of movies are made with real guns. Most of the movies you can think of probably used real guns. I can't think of a single movie of my head that chose to use prop guns over real guns. I'm just making a point that if Taskmaster watches a movie in which they use real guns (Which accounts for 85% of all action movies), then he should know the weight of a real gun.
    Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Enosisik

It wouldn't make a difference !!!! He can automatically duplicate the move naturally regardless of a prop gun or whatever . You can shoot a basketball through a hoop and just like you can shoot a tennis ball through that same hoop because you naturally adjust for the difference. @Captain_Gunky... That's why is a superpower based on reflex and not just normal photographic memory ... It's a SUPER POWER.....the difference is you see something and you simply remember it and if you practice enough you 'might' be able to perfect it... His SUPER POWER is that he can skip all that and his muscles instantly can work perfectly to do whatever he has seen.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hyperlight

@Enosisik said:

It wouldn't make a difference !!!! He can automatically duplicate the move naturally regardless of a prop gun or whatever . You can shoot a basketball through a hoop and just like you can shoot a tennis ball through that same hoop because you naturally adjust for the difference. @Captain_Gunky... That's why is a superpower based on reflex and not just normal photographic memory ... It's a SUPER POWER.....the difference is you see something and you simply remember it and if you practice enough you 'might' be able to perfect it... His SUPER POWER is that he can skip all that and his muscles instantly can work perfectly to do whatever he has seen.

i dont think its a super power... just a skill. its how his brain works

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.