Follow

Sylar

Character » Sylar appears in 10 issues.

A former watchmaker who discovered his superhuman abilities and became a serial killer obsessed with obtaining the powers of others. Currently reformed.

How does Sylar gain new powers?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By John Valentine

Does he eat brains?

Does he have a secondary power that enables him to alter his DNA?

Is his present "ability" an actual power?
    Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Super-Buster

Hmm... I've always been under the impression that he gains powers through his original power which lets him know ho things work. Apparently whatever makes a super's power work is in their brain and that's why Sylar scalps people so he can see how their power works and so he can somehow use it for himself. I'm not exactly sure how he does it.

Avatar image for spider_pantrelli
    Spider-Pantrelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Spider-Pantrelli

Sylar cuts open people's heads and he looks at the brain and sees how the person's ability "work" and learn it. Sylar's original power was to know how things work as soon as he sees something so he looks at the brain and he learns how the ability works.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By John Valentine

Yep I understand that, but once he knows how they work, how does he then get the power?

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Super-Buster

Yea, but how does he "learn" their ability? Wouldn't that require rewriting his own DNA?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By John Valentine
    Super-Buster said:
    "Yea, but how does he "learn" their ability? Wouldn't that require rewriting his own DNA?"
    Exactly, that's where I'm confused.
    I wonder if that's his real ability... maybe he is not like the other characters in that respect and he is truly special by having two powers....
    Avatar image for spider_pantrelli
    Spider-Pantrelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Spider-Pantrelli
    From Heroeswiki:
    Sylar's original
    Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Super-Buster

Maybe they'll explain it next season. Or maybe we just missed something, does anyone remember what he said when he got his first stolen power?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By John Valentine

Yep, but I was hoping that someone might know :P.

Master Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Master Pockets

his power description is actually vague when he looks at something he learns every thing about it he is somewhat like monica dawson except he has to see the brain to study it then his brain stores it and his body is able to use it he basically has the same power as peter but has to kill to get it

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Resonate
    aztek the lost said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Does he eat brains?
    Does he have a secondary power that enables him to alter his DNA?

Is his present "ability" an actual power?
    "
    it is often hinted in the show that he eats brains but I think its one of those things where the viewers are supposed to be kept in the dark"
    gah blargh
    Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Nerx

I think he consumes the part ans assimilates it to his DNA, just a speculation tho

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Moomin123

Sylar (the greatest Heroes character ever!) doesn't eat brains. He uses his "intuitive aptitude" to analyse his victims brains in order to "see" how their ability works. He then copys the ability and leaves the corpse with no evidence leading to him. One tough job for the Police to handle. Claire Bennet is the only one of Sylar's victims to have survived this process. Most Heroes characters know of Sylar and his murders, no secret really.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Korg

Sylar has shown that he doesn't have to kill to gain powers (he absorbed Elle's powers without killing her). Therefor his ability works in much the same way as Peter of Arthur's used to, only with a different mechanism of action. He has to understand the power before he can make use of it. I think "the hunger" is just another way of saying he prefers to kill in order to gain power. That way he is more unique, being the only person with that power. Ever since Ando gained his powers I have wondered what kind of effect they might have on Sylar, and if Sylar took that ability, could he boost himself?

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Moomin123

Sylar has the ability of empathic mimicry, like Peter. But he didn't know of this ability until Arthur showed him how to use it. Even though he has this ability, Sylar still prefers to kill people for power.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Sling Shot

Sylar's powers are intuitive and adaping: specifically his neurological and anatomical connectors. so It's like a compound power. I think the power mimics are excessive and boring.

Bring back 4400!

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hyperlight

@Super-Buster said:

Yea, but how does he "learn" their ability? Wouldn't that require rewriting his own DNA?

yes it should. thats the problem. even if he learned how to use the power something would have to be different about his genetic make up to use the power. so im assuming he makes a genetic shift ( which would require a whole new power in itself lol)

@Nerx said:

I think he consumes the part ans assimilates it to his DNA, just a speculation tho

i would agree.... but eating brains wouldnt make sense. sounds stupid. i do agree with the assimilation though

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.