Sword of Sorcery: Thoughts?

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#1 Edited by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

When DC announced their Third Wave, only one title stood out to me: Sword of Sorcery. Team 7 looked generic (although I've been hearing good things from it), Phantom Stranger looked boring (and still does) and I'm not interested on Talon.

So, I picked up Sword of Sorcery 0, and I was quite surprised, but not for the reasons you may think. The part of the book I was looking forward the most was Amethyst, and I have to say that I was a good, quick (yet not rushed) and entertaining start. Nothing amazing, but it's the first (kinda) issue, so I'm willing to give the book a chance. Well, that and the surprise cameo at the end.

I was not looking forward to Beowulf. I mean, it's not Superman or Batman, or something cool, it's freaking Beowulf! But, I paid 4 bucks for this comic, so I might as well be sure I get my money's worth from this comic. Boy, I was in for a surprise. Beowulf turned out to be an engaging story with great art. The basic premise of Beowulf's legend is set up in this issue, but Beowulf himself gets a nice twist, which I really liked.

So, what about you? Did you pick up Sword of Sorcery? And if you did, what were your thoughts?

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#2 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

Avatar image for polarisjunkie
#3 Posted by PolarisJunkie (119 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

When DC announced their Third Wave, only one title stood out to me: Sword of Sorcery. Team 7 looked generic (although I've been hearing good things from it), Phantom Stranger looked boring (and still does) and I'm not interested on Talon.

So, I picked up Sword of Sorcery 0, and I was quite surprised, but not for the reasons you may think. The part of the book I was looking forward the most was Amethyst, and I have to say that I was a good, quick (yet not rushed) and entertaining start. Nothing amazing, but it's the first (kinda) issue, so I'm willing to give the book a chance. Well, that and the surprise cameo at the end.

I was not looking forward to Beowulf. I mean, it's not Superman or Batman, or something cool, it's freaking Beowulf! But, I paid 4 bucks for this comic, so I might as well be sure I get my money's worth from this comic. Boy, I was in for a surprise. Beowulf turned out to be an engaging story with great art. The basic premise of Beowulf's legend is set up in this issue, but Beowulf himself gets a nice twist, which I really liked.

So, what about you? Did you pick up Sword of Sorcery? And if you did, what were your thoughts?

I was pleasantly surprised with this title. I'm def. on board for the next few issues. I agree that this comic isn't anything groundbreaking or new but its very solid and still incredibly entertaining.

Avatar image for supermanprime6
#4 Posted by supermanprime6 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I was really impressed with this title. I had originally planned on just buying issues 0 and 1, but after the great zero issue, I'm going to pull it for a while and see where it goes.

P.S. I think Beowulf is Deathstroke.

Avatar image for reignmaker
#5 Posted by Reignmaker (2416 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Comic Vine would formally review this issue. It needs the exposure.

I'll admit, I'm not usually into rainbows and glittering gems, but I enjoy the fantasy genre. Let's hope that this book is more of the latter and less of the former.

I also thought the backup was better than the main story, but the artwork was solid throughout the whole thing. Hopefully SoS can blossom into a solid alternative to superheroes, like All-Star Western.

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

Bumpin' this for the lulz.

Plus, this week's issue was pretty damn good.

Avatar image for serpent222
#7 Posted by serpent222 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanprime6 said:

I was really impressed with this title. I had originally planned on just buying issues 0 and 1, but after the great zero issue, I'm going to pull it for a while and see where it goes.

P.S. I think Beowulf is Deathstroke.

I stopped reading it after issues 0 and 1 because it lost my interest that fast...but that suddenly makes me want to take another look at it.

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#8 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@serpent222 said:

@supermanprime6 said:

I was really impressed with this title. I had originally planned on just buying issues 0 and 1, but after the great zero issue, I'm going to pull it for a while and see where it goes.

P.S. I think Beowulf is Deathstroke.

I stopped reading it after issues 0 and 1 because it lost my interest that fast...but that suddenly makes me want to take another look at it.

Kinda hate ruining this book's chance of having another reader, but it's not Deathstroke.

Avatar image for serpent222
#9 Posted by serpent222 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

@supermanprime6 said:

I was really impressed with this title. I had originally planned on just buying issues 0 and 1, but after the great zero issue, I'm going to pull it for a while and see where it goes.

P.S. I think Beowulf is Deathstroke.

I stopped reading it after issues 0 and 1 because it lost my interest that fast...but that suddenly makes me want to take another look at it.

Kinda hate ruining this book's chance of having another reader, but it's not Deathstroke.

Perhaps Deathstroke is descended from him? Maybe? Possibly?

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#10 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@serpent222 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

I stopped reading it after issues 0 and 1 because it lost my interest that fast...but that suddenly makes me want to take another look at it.

Kinda hate ruining this book's chance of having another reader, but it's not Deathstroke.

Perhaps Deathstroke is descended from him? Maybe? Possibly?

Well, he's a bio-engineered super soldier, so I think that's very unlikely :P

Avatar image for serpent222
#11 Posted by serpent222 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

I stopped reading it after issues 0 and 1 because it lost my interest that fast...but that suddenly makes me want to take another look at it.

Kinda hate ruining this book's chance of having another reader, but it's not Deathstroke.

Perhaps Deathstroke is descended from him? Maybe? Possibly?

Well, he's a bio-engineered super soldier, so I think that's very unlikely :P

They still look alike...kind of. I want to believe it, dammit!

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#12 Posted by SmashBrawler (6033 posts) - - Show Bio

@serpent222 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@serpent222 said:

Perhaps Deathstroke is descended from him? Maybe? Possibly?

Well, he's a bio-engineered super soldier, so I think that's very unlikely :P

They still look alike...kind of. I want to believe it, dammit!

If that's the case, Slade's got some pretty ugly looking grandsons, LOL

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for arnoldoaad
#13 Posted by arnoldoaad (1038 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Sword and Sorcery, its just very very well written and interesting

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.