Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Unchained thought.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Now i am love ing Unchained. The story's great and the art is awesome but like the rest of you I am more than a little annoyed about the delays. S I got to thinking it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if DC stopped releaseing the singles issues and Insted just realed all9 issues as a graphic novel.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

That's a bad idea for so many reasons.

• First it would be cheating on the people who bought the single issues by making them buy them again to read the rest of the story
    • Second the GN would still be late since Lee would still need to do the art so there is no way you are gonna get this story faster in any format
    • Third, It would be an idiotic move sale-wise for DC since Unchained is such a big seller
    • And last Unchained is been written so far for single issues the change in format will result in the story to take a hit. All SU issues had a last page cliffhanger and written as a big mystery the GN format would make the story suffer.
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

• First it would be cheating on the people who bought the single issues by making them buy them again to read the rest of the story
    • Second the GN would still be late since Lee would still need to do the art so there is no way you are gonna get this story faster in any format
    • Third, It would be an idiotic move sale-wise for DC since Unchained is such a big seller
    • And last Unchained is been written so far for single issues the change in format will result in the story to take a hit. All SU issues had a last issue cliffhanger and written as a big mystery the GN format would make the story suffer.

Quite nicely said, old chap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

It will be collected in one trade sooner or later. Probably later after a hard cover, an absolute and then 2 paperbacks after all that it will be in one paperback.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I must be the only person that thinks this book is really overrated. I keep waiting for it to get better but it doesn't, Here is hoping it ends on a good note that is worth the dragged out and poorly planned story so far.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@br_havoc said:

I must be the only person that thinks this book is really overrated. I keep waiting for it to get better but it doesn't, Here is hoping it ends on a good note that is worth the dragged out and poorly planned story so far.

Wrong. The story is dull, and the art hurts my eyes. The moment Wraith became a mentor to Superman I lost interest. Soule's Phantom Zone stuff is way more interesting.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

Wrong. The story is dull, and the art hurts my eyes. The moment Wraith became a mentor to Superman I lost interest. Soule's Phantom Zone stuff is way more interesting.

Nah, Snyder's story is definetely more interesting, Soule's work has more adrenaline behind it and keeps you more focused. Also Wraith isn't a mentor to Supes and from the solitics of future issues I don't see them come closer.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@br_havoc said:

Thank goodness, Someone that feels the same way I do about this book. I have no idea what Snyder wanted to do with this series, Wraith is no hero yet Superman just pretends he did not kill thousands of people? Its silly and Lee's art is rushed and sloppy and he thinks crosshachting the hell out of his work will cut down inking time, when it just looks messy.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

While I don't think the story is dull (I'm enjoying it) I do agree the book is overrated (Snyder is too to be honest) and that Soule's work on both AC and SM/WW is way better. The constant delays have made me lose near complete interest.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• And last Unchained is been written so far for single issues the change in format will result in the story to take a hit. All SU issues had a last page cliffhanger and written as a big mystery the GN format would make the story suffer.

Advantage to @squalleon

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SaintWildcard

@br_havoc: Yeah the art has made this almost unreadable. Everything seems so dark, at least in JL there were different colored heroes taking the spot light, everything seems so dark in Unchained.

Nah, Snyder's story is definetely more interesting, Soule's work has more adrenaline behind it and keeps you more focused. Also Wraith isn't a mentor to Supes and from the solitics of future issues I don't see them come closer.

I'll give props where props are due, Snyder definitely took English in college and can articulate like a mother f***er, now if only he could make anything he's writing interesting. Lex Luthor is a bore in the issue he appeared in (Johns is doing a much better job in Forever Evil, heck I found Luthor in He'l arc more menacing and interesting). And as you said Wraith being a bad guy in the end was only inevitable which is why I lost interest cus nothing that happens now matters cus he's obviously going to be a bad guy. Plus with all the delays I've completely forgotten what's going on. The series had that one character moment when Clark was realizing what was going to happen as he got older. A good moment (old and obvious, but good) but nowhere near as good as Greg Pak's Zero Year or the first arc in BM/SM. Damn arcs nearly brought a tear to my eye.

While I don't think the story is dull (I'm enjoying it) I do agree the book is overrated (Snyder is too to be honest) and that Soule's work on SM/WW and Greg Pak's AC is way better. The constant delays have made me lose near complete interest.

Fixed. The delays have made me forget what happened in the first few issues.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Squalleon

@saint_wildcard said:

I'll give props where props are due, Snyder definitely took English in college and can articulate like a mother f***er, now if only he could make anything he's writing interesting. Lex Luthor is a bore in the issue he appeared in (Johns is doing a much better job in Forever Evil, heck I found Luthor in He'l arc more menacing and interesting). And as you said Wraith being a bad guy in the end was only inevitable which is why I lost interest cus nothing that happens now matters cus he's obviously going to be a bad guy. Plus with all the delays I've completely forgotten what's going on. The series had that one character moment when Clark was realizing what was going to happen as he got older. A good moment (old and obvious, but good) but nowhere near as good as Greg Pak's Zero Year or the first arc in BM/SM. Damn arcs nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Lex Luthor's part of the story isn't build up yet also the main bad guy isn't Wraith(also we don't know what will happen with Wraith, we are only mid way). I agree about Pak's 0Y issue but until SU end I can't put it against a complete story like the first arc of BM/SM(which I can say started pretty meh..but the ending was good) . Again SU is still midway, the story could became a classic or could flop at any issue.

EDIT: Also I disagree about Lex Luthor he is mysterious,complicated and villanious with his limited panel time.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex Luthor's part of the story isn't build up yet also the main bad guy isn't Wraith(also we don't know what will happen with Wraith, we are only mid way). I agree about Pak's 0Y issue but until SU end I can't put it against a complete story like the first arc of BM/SM(which I can say started pretty meh..but the ending was good) . Again SU is still midway, the story could became a classic or could flop at any issue.

EDIT: Also I disagree about Lex Luthor he is mysterious,complicated and villanious with his limited panel time.

I'm gonna be frank, there is nothing that they could do with Wraith that would interest me. Bad Guy, Good Guy, Superman's gay lover.. NOTHING! He's worked for the government and started to help Superman after his brawl, it's all so blah IMO. Also Lex just doesn't have that same vibe/charisma that Luthor has presented in other work (Forever Evil has been brilliant). Honestly I think Scott Snyder at best is above average in all departments. Soule has better action, Pak has better Superman moments, Johns has better villain moments.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

@br_havoc said:

While I don't think the story is dull (I'm enjoying it) I do agree the book is overrated (Snyder is too to be honest) and that Soule's work on both AC and SM/WW is way better. The constant delays have made me lose near complete interest.

I wouldn’t say anything bad about Lee’s art (better him than Romita Jr. or Kuder), but in general I find S UC is very overrated. Snyder is a good writer, made no mistake (nice characterization, thoughtful dialogues), but he is also not THAT good. Honestly, I find his language a bit dry, plotline, while nicely written, not extremely interesting.

Lex’s participation deserves to be discussed a little more.

First thing first, why Jimmy? I really don’t feel like he is Clark’s best pal in New-52, just one time roommate and friendly enough acquaintance, so why using him to destroy Superman?

Lex playing with origami dolls to make allusions of his newest Genius plan. Sorry, but that reminds me more about Joker, not Lex. Prefer how LL portrayed in Forever Evil.

When this subplot will be put in action? In next couple of UC issues Superman and then Trinity going to deal with Wraith, then, I willing to bet, couple of issues will centered on Ascension and then UC ending. Of course, maybe Lois will deal with mess her father help to create while Clark fighting with Wraith, so all possible…

Anyway, while I think that this title good in general, there also nothing really unchained about it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Basically Squalleon has hit the nail on the head. Lee would still waste time on the art, it would be disrespectful to followers of the ongoing series and they'd lose vital sales.

Also I can't believe people prefer Soule's incompetent Jobberman over Snyder's competent and experienced Superman.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SaintWildcard
    @sanohibiki said:

I wouldn’t say anything bad about Lee’s art (better him than Romita Jr. or Kuder), but in general I find S UC is very overrated. Snyder is a good writer, made no mistake (nice characterization, thoughtful dialogues), but he is also not THAT good. Honestly, I find his language a bit dry, plotline, while nicely written, not extremely interesting.

Like I said, the dude obviously took English in college and wants to impress everyone with long paragraphs.

Lex’s participation deserves to be discussed a little more.

First thing first, why Jimmy? I really don’t feel like he is Clark’s best pal in New-52, just one time roommate and friendly enough acquaintance, so why using him to destroy Superman?

I think Olsen know's Superman more but overall when Lex said he was using Olsen for some evil plan I sighed and lost even more interest in the title.

Lex playing with origami dolls to make allusions of his newest Genius plan. Sorry, but that reminds me more about Joker, not Lex. Prefer how LL portrayed in Forever Evil.

Never thought about it but you're right. Johns has given us some great villains moments.

When this subplot will be put in action? In next couple of UC issues Superman and then Trinity going to deal with Wraith, then, I willing to bet, couple of issues will centered on Ascension and then UC ending. Of course, maybe Lois will deal with mess her father help to create while Clark fighting with Wraith, so all possible…

Anyway, while I think that this title good in general, there also nothing really unchained about it.

I don't like puns but I'll let it slide this time.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Basically Squalleon has hit the nail on the head. Lee would still waste time on the art, it would be disrespectful to followers of the ongoing series and they'd lose vital sales.

Also I can't believe people prefer Soule's incompetent Jobberman over Snyder's competent and experienced Superman.

At least Soule's "Jobberman" is competent enough to be released on a monthly basis :P

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@lvenger said:

At least Soule's "Jobberman" is competent enough to be released on a monthly basis :P

Plus Snyder's Sup's doesn't really look experienced.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2cool4fun: Snyder's had Superman save a space station and a group of astronauts from crashing, stop the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world from falling to the ground in 17 seconds flat and prevent Russian Robots designed to kill him from destroying Tokyo with tactical use of his powers. In contrast, Soule's Superman has been hammered by Doomsday, only beat Apollo with a sun amp and somehow got beaten up by two inexperienced Kryptonians who'd only just learnt about their powers even though he has a lifetime's worth of experience using his powers. Who looks more experienced and competent now?

@arturocalakayvee True but you can say that of any book in the New 52. If being released each month were criteria for a good comic, Catwoman and Teen Titans would be good books. Now isn't that a scary thought? :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@2cool4fun: Snyder's had Superman save a space station and a group of astronauts from crashing, stop the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world from falling to the ground in 17 seconds flat and prevent Russian Robots designed to kill him from destroying Tokyo with tactical use of his powers. In contrast, Soule's Superman has been hammered by Doomsday, only beat Apollo with a sun amp and somehow got beaten up by two inexperienced Kryptonians who'd only just learnt about their powers even though he has a lifetime's worth of experience using his powers. Who looks more experienced and competent now?

So that's what was going on! I fell asleep reading it and when I tried, I couldn't make heads or tales with Jim Lee's art.

@arturocalakayveeTrue but you can say that of any book in the New 52. If being released each month were criteria for a good comic, Catwoman and Teen Titans would be good books. Now isn't that a scary thought? :P

Well except a good portion of your fellow Superman fan's like it and it's gotten fairly good reviews here. The same can't be said for those titles.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

So that's what was going on! I fell asleep reading it and when I tried, I couldn't make heads or tales with Jim Lee's art.

@arturocalakayveeTrue but you can say that of any book in the New 52. If being released each month were criteria for a good comic, Catwoman and Teen Titans would be good books. Now isn't that a scary thought? :P

Well except a good portion of your fellow Superman fan's like it and it's gotten fairly good reviews here. The same can't be said for those titles.

Twas only referring in jest to arturocalkayvee's (damn that's a long user name) poke at Unchained's inconsistent schedules. And it hasn't been universally well received.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Very well then. I'll leave. Sorry for the interruption

No Caption Provided

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 2cool4fun

@lvenger said:

He may be more experienced in in using his powers. But they are experienced soldiers. The highest of them all, they should be able to learn how to fight while flying easily. Plus it was a 2v1.

The thing is in unchained, he seems so mature in the first 2 issues, and I loved that. I fall in love with the comic. But starting with issue 3, not so much. He not only seems like his maturity dropped by 10 years, but he seems so weak. I mean in issue 4 he is protecting him self with a door from a car. I mean come on, he should be 1000 times tougher then some car. Then their is the fact that wraith is acting like his mentor & teaching him things he should have figured out after only a year of having his powers.

And this moment:

No Caption Provided

But I'll be honest, if nothing else, Unchained gives the best inner thoughts I have ever seen come from a superman comic.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@lvenger said:

Twas only referring in jest to arturocalakayvee's (damn that's a long user name) poke at Unchained's inconsistent schedules. And it hasn't been universally well received.

Haha just type arturo or kayvee or ackv, it's easier :P

But it isn't just the consistent delays that make me prefer SM/WW over Unchained, I personally am enjoying the story more (Zod + Doomsday = can't get much better than that) plus the whole Wraith mentor thing is kind of…meh. Makes Clark seem bush league.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lvenger

He may be more experienced in in using his powers. But they are experienced soldiers. The highest of them all, they should be able to learn how to fight while flying easily. Plus it was a 2v1.

The thing is in unchained, he seems so mature in the first 2 issues, and I loved that. I fall in love with the comic. But starting with issue 3, not so much. He not only seems like his maturity dropped by 10 years, but he seems so weak. I mean in issue 4 he is protecting him self with a door from a car. I mean come on, he should be 1000 times tougher then some car. Then their is the fact that wraith is acting like his mentor & teaching him things he should have figured out after only a year of having his powers.

And this moment:

No Caption Provided

But I'll be honest, if nothing else, Unchained gives the best inner thoughts I have ever seen come from a superman comic.

It doesn't matter if they're experienced soldiers, they've only had their powers 5 minutes and are beating someone who's had a lifetime's worth of experience using his powers. Surely you can see what nonsensical jobbing that is on Soule's part?

I'll definitely agree that issue 3 was a major pitfall in the writing. That one moment was utterly out of character for Superman there and his portrayal was totally wrong in that issue. I think Snyder was forced to put that moment in though because the rest of the series reads much more like a mature and compassionate Pre New 52 Superman. But that one moment of anger ruined the entire issue for me. As for the car door thing, he's getting fired at by red sun weaponry which is one of his weaknesses. He needs protection from it. And Wraith has been on Earth for over 70 years so he does have way more obvious experience than Superman. Besides, DC are playing up the younger Superman so it makes sense Wraith is a pseudo mentor to Superman.

Haha just type arturo or kayvee or ackv, it's easier :P

But it isn't just the consistent delays that make me prefer SM/WW over Unchained, I personally am enjoying the story more (Zod + Doomsday = can't get much better than that) plus the whole Wraith mentor thing is kind of…meh. Makes Clark seem bush league.

I'm not so easily impressed. Doomsday is just being brought in as a cheap cameo to foreshadow the Superman Doomed event which was honestly pointless in failing to explain how Doomsday got out of the Phantom Zone. Zod is also massively short of the development, growth and depth he had Pre Flashpoint as well. A serious let down for me amongst other things to see one of my favourite Superman villains get such a boring treatment and was shoe horned in to fit in with the recent Zod fever of MOS.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I agree with everybody saying Unchained is meh at best

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 2cool4fun

It's not "meh" at best. It is though out, but it's just a slow series. And the delays just make it even slower, unbearably slower.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

It's not "meh" at best. It is though out, but it's just a slow series. And the delays just make it even slower, unbearably slower.

Well I think its meh

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how this thread has turned into a "Is Unchained great or meh debate". I wonder how @z3ro180 feels about it?

@2cool4fun said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Well I think its meh

You are correct sir.
    You are correct sir.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By z3ro180

@saint_wildcard: Feels about what ? How the thread has become a debate or how I feel about the book ?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SaintWildcard

@z3ro180: your feelings about it are in the op. im talking about the thread debate

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I think trying to debate on how good a book is, In itself pointless. Mainly because if For example you hated the book and I tryed to convince you it wasn't, that debate would be pointless if someone like the book or hates it debating with them will not change their mind and it will most likely turn into a flame war.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lvenger

@z3ro180 said:

@saint_wildcard: I think trying to debate on how good a book is, In itself pointless. Mainly because if For example you hated the book and I tryed to convince you it wasn't, that debate would be pointless if someone like the book or hates it debating with them will not change their mind and it will most likely turn into a flame war.

As @fallschirmjager would say, everything is subjective as are all opinions on non factual mediums like the comic book industry so they're bound to differ on views such as what title is good or meh or bad.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unchained is a good title but nothing more,at least until now since we are more or less at half story. Still SU has massively failed to live up all the hype he has had without even counting the huge delays.Funnily enough i don't get the biggest coplaint about this title ,when Clark decides to fight Wraith...after he gets kicked in the face accross the whole state. Now just because Superman is a mature and a nice guy doesn't mean he is an idiot,he was rightfully going to fight 'cause he believed the fight was just started and not viceversa.The same could have happened to pre-52 superman.

Sadly this title is quickly falling behind action Comics and Superman WonderWoman (then i don't get why people say that Superman was jobbing against Faora and Zod: yes, they somehow managed to control their powers in no time, but it was still a 2 vs 1 fight... and above all Superman was holding back a LOT and they weren't.)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

Not what I meant. I understand the phrase different stroke for different folks, but what I meant is how do you feel about you're thread being turned into a debate? Some people get mad when their threads turn into flame wars or go completely off topic. I find it amusing that it took this route.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.