Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

'Superman: Man of Steel' Set Photos Reveal More Costume Changes

• 196 results
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#101  Edited By Mbecks14

I think he looks great! Cavill looks very Superman and the costume looks sick!  

Is it ok if i am now in love with him?

Zur_En_Arrh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Zur_En_Arrh

Besides the bulge, I pretty much likke everything about it. Its more like a outer space jumpsuit, or enviromental suit than tights. Works for me.
    Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Schabbe
    @Cosmic Sentinel: Pure win..
    Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By Red Rum

Crap, now he looks like the new Spider-Man movie.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @Croi said:
    Suit looks pretty sweet, it's nice to have a change. Lets us know that it's a reboot instead of ANOTHER sequel.  He got scarily big, too.
    I agree, I think the suit looks cool and people need to relax it will look better on film like all costumes. I'm happy the undies are gone but dude needs to fix his cod piece, its too big if it casts that big of a shadow lol I'm going to say it's definitely a reboot and looks like they are distancing themselves from the prior movies 

Critics need to relax, the costume is nicer than the comic revamp's costume, it's just slightly too dark for superman's personality but i can look past it if it's a good movie all together
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane122: Kal-L's cape was indestructible. Kal-El's is basic earth fabric which isn't surrounded by his skin's force field. It's the first thing to go in a fight, actually.
    Avatar image for red_knight_of_the_north
    red knight of the north

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what the? ah my eyes I've gone blind

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be brutally honest about people's reactions, people shouldn't complain since lighting usually brings out the best color in clothing and set pieces so the end result usually says a lot more. No one cared about George Reeves' costume colors, which were just black and gray. Plus, I think he was albino.

No Caption Provided
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#109  Edited By Primmaster64

cool

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Chris2KLee

Probably will look better after it get's the hyper stylized Zack Snyder treatment. That said, it they were looking to take attention away from Superman's groin area, they failed. Dude is swinging pipe! Still looking forward to this though, I'm hoping ZS can bring some much need action to the franchise that was missing in the last film (which I did enjoy mind you).

KnightlyTales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#111  Edited By KnightlyTales

I would make a suggestion but somehow having vomit bags in theatres probably wouldn't fly. About the worse costume I've seen, even compared to the "Holy nipplage Batman". What have these guys been smoking? Nightfang, hey, at least you tried. The second, brighter color version looks better but as the saying goes, a pig with lipstick is still a pig. Costume sucks!

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#112  Edited By RainEffect

If there's one thing the costume does, it's compliment his muscles. He's gotten huge.

DarkShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By DarkShadows

The costume looks nice, however, the hair kind of bothers me... and does anyone noticed that bulge in picture 3?

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#114  Edited By The Jeff

this is not a good day for me. 1st the Star Wars blu ray changes, now this? lol I thinks it looks ok actually

Chunksie101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Chunksie101

Yeah, the bulge at the bottom reminds of of George Clooney Batman nipples. gotta edit out any shots of that or try not to get that in any single close-up shot EVER! It will be too distracting.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By _Zombie_

Not a huge fan of the costume, but it's not terrible.   I'm getting kind of sick of these 'spy photos'.  Seriously, these 'photographers' need to put their cameras/cell phones away and at least let there be SOME surprises in these movies.  Sure it's nice to see the costumes and whatnot, but it's getting ridiculous. 

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#117  Edited By GTG12

I'd prefer the underwear but besides that I like it.
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#118  Edited By turoksonofstone
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By z3ro180
    They should really make the trim on the costume red to add a bit more OUMFF to it the same with the cuffs at the end of the sleaves make them red.Other than that the costume looks great and it looks like it will strongly resemble supes new suit and thank god they didnt have the red underpants.
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#121  Edited By Deranged Midget

I guess everyone is obsessed with other men's junk these days...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By cattlebattle
    @sesquipedalophobe said:
    @TheMess1428: Why would Superman need a belt for a basic superhero jumpsuit? to keep his entire outfit from falling off? In any case, tutus predate red underwear and they usually match the colors of the unitard.
    Toxic Avenger wore a tutu
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By z3ro180
    @mistersarcastic: I can see it now.

During the day tralier - Its a brid no its a plane its...SUPER-MAN.

Night time - Its a bird no its a plane pkane No ITs SUPER-BULDGE
    iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By iaconpoint

Needs the red belt at least to break up the blue.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By NightFang3
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#126  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

While the classic look would've been preferred by most I would assume, honestly, my second choice would be Jim Lee's redesign, this costume just looks a big odd for a superhero, especially Superman.

1fearless1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By 1fearless1

Awesome! In Zack I trust!! The man has creativity. How did they make that awesome suit?

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#128  Edited By keith71_98

The Superman emblem looks dirty!!!

JerardPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By JerardPrime

COOL! I think the suit looks pretty good! Definitely has the look of being something other-worldly (is that a word?) and not something you would make on your sewing machine. I bet for some of those shots they will add the cape in later with CGI (ala Spawn). This guy certainly has the physique to play Supes. I always thought Routh looked a little too skinny. Hopefully by taking a whole new approach to the character we can get a better movie than Returns which was just a re-do of the Reeves films which are classics, so it will be nice to see a different take on him.

slick23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By slick23

That costume will still change, remember thats a camera pic, we know how Hollywood love to blow things up! cant wait for this!

ceniza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ceniza
    @KainScion said:
    it's a "batman armored nipples" incident again. look at that thing. the bulge. has he seen lois actress or something?
    I, good sir, agree with you. It was a good piece of design for a reason, he looks like a eunuch now. they went and hyper-sexualized... or... a-sexualizaed, or something-sexualized this poor guy. 
    xScorchedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132  Edited By xScorchedx

Not enough RED! ANd I find the blue to not be as bold as I'd like it to be. As for the physical look of Superman, he looks great.

RareCheshire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By RareCheshire

He looks much cuter in these pictures than the other one earlier released!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#134  Edited By Mercy_

My only gripe is how long the cape is.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#135  Edited By Aiden Cross

I like it, but i kinda miss the iconic briefs.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#136  Edited By Magian

I like it. And people should stop focusing on his bulge lol

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#137  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Aiden Cross said:
    I like it, but i kinda miss the iconic briefs.
    The Iconic briefs will be missed indeed.
    PScully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By PScully

What is with the textured costume?  It looks like they cut up a few old Spider-Man costumes hanging around and glued it together poorly.  Warner Brothers is destroying the mythos and the general "feel" of DC characters (Green Lantern?  YEESH!) and trying to get people on board with the new DC Universe (I still don't buy the whole, "we're making the characters more accessible to new readers" BS) all for the sake of making a quick buck. 
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#139  Edited By welshguy

Don't look at his crotch... don't look at his crotch... dammit i looked at his crotch. Now I have to go and buy a bigger car... ah well 
    Aside from that, I like it. As Itbrd says it, it just seems to emphasize this isn't just a human in a silly costume. He's an alien and ain't afraid to show it.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Osiris1428

I think this costume is pretty awesome!! Hell of a lot better than that new Spider-Man costume. He looks like Supes, I just want him to put that little curl on his forehead like Superman is known for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is sad how this entirely discussion has turned into a debate on being homosexual or not. What I particularly find funny about it, from a society perspective, is that hardcore comic book readers (i.e. the "nerds") are always ridiculed as being introverted, homosexual or just plain weird/closed off from the rest of the world. This obviously is not true but what's funny is how all of you hating on this look for being homosexual and other such comments. Just an interesting observation. 

But now to be honest, yeah it does look strange in still pics especially without the cape but I would like to make two observations.  

1,  the Nolan Batman costume looks like absolute shit. Honestly how is anyone intimidated by that Batman. It makes Bale, who is actually a tall (6' 1") and physically built guy look smaller and weaker than Gary Oldman and that's near impossible to do. The point is that no real life superhero costume is going to look anywhere near as good as its comic book equivalent because it actually has to be on a real person whose dimensions are not perfect and therefore a skin tight uniform is never going to look perfect on them. 

2. put the entire costume together. You have the texture, the lack of a belt or the underpants, circular gold button at the waist, a slightly off design of the s-shield and then the pattern around the hips, legs, and forearms. Does that look like something Martha Kent could put together? Does it look human or earthly in any way? No, it looks alien. It looks otherworldly. It doesn't quite look like it belongs. OH WAIT! THAT'S SUPERMAN IN A NUTSHELL! THE GUY IS AN ALIEN WITH SUPERPOWERS LIVING ON EARTH! 

I mean, really, none of you have figured out this connection yet. None of you see where Synder (and Nolan remember) are going with this character. None of you remember that this script is based heavily (in terms of Clark/Superman/Kal's mentality) off the Birthright origin. So I assume none of you remember that the underlying theme of that origin was the concept of clan/family heritage, marking, colors, and other identification marking that survive through the generations. So why are you all surprised that this new look for Superman looks alien. ITS MEANT TO. 

The Superman persona is Clark's only way to show his kryptonian heritage to the public. Sure he could talk to his folks, and in the comics his wife (well, not anymore) and closest hero friends but to the rest of the public they only know Superman and that's he's an alien. In the comics he doesn't really get to express this concept because his suit is meant to look nice and earthly and inspiring. As the DCnU and apparently this movie are trying to showcase is that his outfit is not supposed to represent that but his kryptonian heritage. 

And it seems to be working. You're all complaining about how strange it looks when in a way that's exactly what its supposed to do. Not look like something you would expect to see on Earth and clearly state that Superman is an alien. Yet at the same time it has all the classic elements of the suit (minus red underwear) that people can recognize. 

Think back to all the classic images you know of Superman or anytime a close-up is shown of the Man of Steel. The focus of the picture is always to his chest. Always to the s-shield. That's the icon that defines Superman. After that its the cape. Anything else is just extra.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#142  Edited By keith71_98

This costume looks pretty aweful. Desperately needs a red belt or something around the waste. Also, the Superman logo looks filthy. I'm assuming it's intentional but how about throwing that nasty thing into the washer???
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#143  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I bloody love the costume. I can't wait for this film.

Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ValendianKnight
    @ltbrd said:

It is sad how this entirely discussion has turned into a debate on being homosexual or not. What I particularly find funny about it, from a society perspective, is that hardcore comic book readers (i.e. the "nerds") are always ridiculed as being introverted, homosexual or just plain weird/closed off from the rest of the world. This obviously is not true but what's funny is how all of you hating on this look for being homosexual and other such comments. Just an interesting observation. 

But now to be honest, yeah it does look strange in still pics especially without the cape but I would like to make two observations.  

1,  the Nolan Batman costume looks like absolute shit. Honestly how is anyone intimidated by that Batman. It makes Bale, who is actually a tall (6' 1") and physically built guy look smaller and weaker than Gary Oldman and that's near impossible to do. The point is that no real life superhero costume is going to look anywhere near as good as its comic book equivalent because it actually has to be on a real person whose dimensions are not perfect and therefore a skin tight uniform is never going to look perfect on them. 

2. put the entire costume together. You have the texture, the lack of a belt or the underpants, circular gold button at the waist, a slightly off design of the s-shield and then the pattern around the hips, legs, and forearms. Does that look like something Martha Kent could put together? Does it look human or earthly in any way? No, it looks alien. It looks otherworldly. It doesn't quite look like it belongs. OH WAIT! THAT'S SUPERMAN IN A NUTSHELL! THE GUY IS AN ALIEN WITH SUPERPOWERS LIVING ON EARTH! 

I mean, really, none of you have figured out this connection yet. None of you see where Synder (and Nolan remember) are going with this character. None of you remember that this script is based heavily (in terms of Clark/Superman/Kal's mentality) off the Birthright origin. So I assume none of you remember that the underlying theme of that origin was the concept of clan/family heritage, marking, colors, and other identification marking that survive through the generations. So why are you all surprised that this new look for Superman looks alien. ITS MEANT TO. 

The Superman persona is Clark's only way to show his kryptonian heritage to the public. Sure he could talk to his folks, and in the comics his wife (well, not anymore) and closest hero friends but to the rest of the public they only know Superman and that's he's an alien. In the comics he doesn't really get to express this concept because his suit is meant to look nice and earthly and inspiring. As the DCnU and apparently this movie are trying to showcase is that his outfit is not supposed to represent that but his kryptonian heritage. 

And it seems to be working. You're all complaining about how strange it looks when in a way that's exactly what its supposed to do. Not look like something you would expect to see on Earth and clearly state that Superman is an alien. Yet at the same time it has all the classic elements of the suit (minus red underwear) that people can recognize. 

Think back to all the classic images you know of Superman or anytime a close-up is shown of the Man of Steel. The focus of the picture is always to his chest. Always to the s-shield. That's the icon that defines Superman. After that its the cape. Anything else is just extra.

Wow, I was going to say something but then you ripped the words(and better phrased too)out of my mouth. People are really silly about this. It looks FAR more alien than anything Superman wears in the comics, and that is a WONDERFUL thing. I disliked the lack of shorts at first, but it's growing on me. I like the slight hint of gold on the waist area, the boots look good and it's great that it has texture. Plus, Canvil looks GREAT in it. He looks powerful, and with added SFX and CGI, I'm sure it would look amazing. I kinda see where Snyder is taking this, and I hope it turns out good. I loved his work on Watchmen(believe it), though I wasn't a too thrilled by Sucker Punch(very pretty movie though).
    kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#145  Edited By kagato

@turoksonofstone he actually looks really cool in that shot, just goes to show that in context it will look fine. Thanks for posting that ^_^

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#146  Edited By SpidermanWins

Looks great but here's the thing. I love the costume man... and i understand that Amy Adams is pretty hot, but dude--- PUT IT AWAY

Avatar image for captaincockblock
    CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

Why is it so hard for Hollywood to make Superman's costume SIMPLE?! It's not that hard to make a dignified film adaptation that looks like the comics. The first picture we saw did that fine! Where the hell did THAT costume go?! Sure, it had some weird textures in the fabric, but it was a good costume. This has infinitely more pointless details and additions that, really, make no goddamned sense.  

Eh, I feel like such a troll. Whatever, I'm not judging the movie yet. I'll see it like everyone else.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

my God that is a tight costume

lagoonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By lagoonman

it looks ok to me

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

HAHAHAHAHAHA! The woman are gonna love this film.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.