Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

'Superman: Man of Steel' Set Photos Reveal More Costume Changes

• 196 results
    jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By jubilee042

now i think the briefs were necessary because well he has a big load which is showing alot

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By jubilee042
    @NightFang: took the words right out of my keyboard
    yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By yo_yo_fun
    @NightFang: LMBO!!! Good point!
    yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By yo_yo_fun

He looks good. But he's missing the red undies.lol
    ...& that bulge...jeez.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Eyz

Awww man :(
    Fanboysm aside, it's kinda bad. I mean pretty ugly. Stylistically and iconographic-wise.
    It's not modern or anything, just..."busy" design-wise.

Why are Hollywood stylists currently over-designing costumes in movies lately?...

sinful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sinful

Without the Red underwear...he just looks naked...:(

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind it.  It's a nice change of pace, and he looks good in the suit.  Obviously it's not the exact replica of the iconic version, but I'm getting a little stoked now.  I can only hope the story will be a good one.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is the worst Batman outfit ever.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By TheMess1428

Oh c'mon! I can understand dropping the red shorts because of the revamp but no belt? Now he looks like he's actually homosexual. Not joking, he does. This saddens me...

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheMess1428: You say homosexual like it's a bad thing.
    owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61  Edited By owie  Moderator

The grey seems pointless, both as a color and as shapes/lines.  Plus, its so obviously plastic, which is the most annoying thing to me about so much comic-movie uniform/armor design--similar to how plastic looking all the Asgardian costuming in Thor was. 

It's just very muted in terms of color--much less yellow, adding grey, muting the blue and red to low-intensity hues.  To me, Superman is all about the bright primary colors, which reflect the whole truth, justice, and the American way thing. 

A grim and gritty Superman just seems unnecessary to me.  There are other heroes for that.  I like Superman to be a boyscout.

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Om1kron

To be honest I think they could get away with ditching the underwear, the utility belt with no utilities, and the cape to make him a more modern superhero. I definitely think he could also do without the huge dumb ass s on his chest too. Superman is a character no matter how powerful or loved or whatever he is, I cannot take him serious for crap because he dresses like a 6 year old put together his costume for him to fight crime in. The move to jeans and a t shirt in the new relaunch isn't doing much for me either.

I liked old man superman from kingdom come the best, just a hick farmer like he grew up as, overalls and a wife beater and some work boots, still a bad ass with all of the super powers. Everyone cries about wonder woman not looking like a hooker in star spangled panties anymore but when it comes time to make this stuff into "real life" NOTHING from the DC universe can even translate over besides batman and his cast of characters.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

2013? we are going to have to sit through a hell of marvel movies? AAARGH

ThatChrisGore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ThatChrisGore

So what happens when the red undwearless suit changes in the comic book? Which is inevitable. 

Will they add digital red underpants? 

Do not want!

Rhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Rhi

Still not liking the new suit, not even a little bit.
    Zenjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Zenjack

I guess it's just hard to deal with the new take on Superman.  Growing up with Chris Reeves and Gene Hackman set a pretty high standard for me.  I don't think this version will be quite as bad as the disaster than was Superman Returns but I don't have high hopes.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#67  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @KainScion said:
    it's a "batman armored nipples" incident again. look at that thing. the bulge. has he seen lois actress or something?
    @difficlus said:
    @humanfly26 said:
    is it just me, or does he look really uncomfortable in pics 2&3?
    the costume looks pretty uncomfortable. Also very very weird. Looks bleh...
    lol, looks like crap.
    nszerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#68  Edited By nszerdy

I hope they blow all the other superman movies away!   COME ON SNYDER!  Looking forward to it!

playhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By playhouse

I don't understand Hollywood's obsession with a lack of color for superheroes.  Superman is supposed to be a bright shining "beacon of hope".  His suit reflects that.  Here, we have a busy, overly designed, drab affair.  It honestly doesn't make him more "real" or "gritty".  It just feels depressed.

I think I'd like the suit design if it were for a Flash Gordon or Adam Strange movie.  As Superman, it looks less "alien" than it does overthought.  

And, while Cavill gained some bulk, that's an obvious muscle suit used to prop up the outfit.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheMess1428
    @sesquipedalophobe said:
    For Superman, it is. Don't get me wrong, being gay in general is okay with me. I have gay friends and a couple family members too. It's just Superman shouldn't be gay and I would appreciate if they didn't make him look that way.
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#71  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @TheMess1428 said:
    @sesquipedalophobe said:
    For Superman, it is. Don't get me wrong, being gay in general is okay with me. I have gay friends and a couple family members too. It's just Superman shouldn't be gay and I would appreciate if they didn't make him look that way.
    ?
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#72  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @TheMess1428 said:
    @sesquipedalophobe said:
    ... I dont even know what to say to this
    xanthiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By xanthiss

HAHAHAHA. This is amazing. Not sure how this stuff keeps getting made? I love how all the lines in the costume visually draw your eye to his junk. The costume is so dull looking, it looks faded. I hope they plan on fixing it with aftereffects. I don't mind that they change the outfit a bit, red undies on the outside just don't work in real life. However, this is a mess. That part in his hair is so intense, I bet his scalp is on fire!

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#74  Edited By batmanboy11

I think the suit and  Cavill look good, though I still don't expect much from the movie since it's Zack Snyder

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NightFang
    I only agree to the point of having the waist pattern be gold to go with the gold belt piece but not with making the rest of the pattern red or just making the groin section red for the sake of making the groin section red. The red underwear does serve as a function of clothing and the loops to keep his belt on and just replacing it with a red section for the sake of a red section isn't necessary.
    Mr_Tasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Mr_Tasty

Enter the dark Superman, NO bright colors, NO comfort level, but FULL scales.

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderbat87 said:
    @TheMess1428 said:
    @sesquipedalophobe said:
    But I do. So you're telling me the tights, the red underwear, the fashionable hair and the muscles made him look heterosexual? I do not care if you have gay friends and family members, because it doesn't excuse the bias.
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TheMess1428
    @turoksonofstone said:
    ?
    @spiderbat87 said:
    Basically, I had said that without the red belt, the new Superman costume makes him look like he's actually gay. Then I explained that I have nothing against gay people but I just would rather that Superman didn't look that way.
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TheMess1428
    @sesquipedalophobe said:
    But I do. So you're telling me the tights, the red underwear, the fashionable hair and the muscles made him look heterosexual? I do not care if you have gay friends and family members, because it doesn't excuse the bias.
    Based on the logic of the traditional superhero costume, Superman did not look gay in the original costume or post-revamp costume. But the way Henry Cavill looks in that particular costume, it makes him look gay. It's specific combinations that make the opinion. Not any undertones you might think I'm implying in my opinions.
    marvel_geek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By marvel_geek

This man is perfection. Goodness, I forgot to breathe when I was staring at these pictures. I now have a new desk top background ;) He certainly does not look like a homosexual.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @TheMess1428 said:
    @turoksonofstone said:
    ?
    @spiderbat87 said:
    Basically, I had said that without the red belt, the new Superman costume makes him look like he's actually gay. Then I explained that I have nothing against gay people but I just would rather that Superman didn't look that way.
    So its ok to be gay just not look it....? How the hell can not wearing a belt determine your sexual preferences. 
    Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#82  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel
    No Caption Provided
    It sort of reminds me of Ultraman's costume. I don't like it. They've ditched the classic underwear in favour of some generic, pointless black crap. When will Hollywood learn to leave these details alone? 

And seriously, his "bulge" is distracting in these photos, what the heck is it going to be like on a cinema screen? I certainly don't want it in 3D!
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheMess1428: Why would Superman need a belt for a basic superhero jumpsuit? to keep his entire outfit from falling off? In any case, tutus predate red underwear and they usually match the colors of the unitard.
    sdunham818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#84  Edited By sdunham818

Pic #2 - Man in white - Brainiac?

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheMess1428
    @spiderbat87 said:
    So its ok to be gay just not look it....? How the hell can not wearing a belt determine your sexual preferences.
    I never said that either. I said it's not okay to make Superman look gay because he is in fact, not gay. I mean every time I read a Superman comic, I was sure he was in love with Lois Lane, not Lex Luthor. And I was just making a visual opinion of the outfit based on the lack of the belt. I never said that because he has no belt, that means he is in fact gay now. Jeeze people, actually read the post before you trample all over it.
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheMess1428: Oh, okay. But if Superman hadn't worn a belt and still dated Lois Lane and Wonder Woman at the same time, would this have changed your perception of belts versus one-piece suits?
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TheMess1428
    @sesquipedalophobe said:
    @TheMess1428: Why would Superman need a belt for a basic superhero jumpsuit? to keep his entire outfit from falling off? In any case, tutus predate red underwear and they usually match the colors of the unitard.  
    As for function, don't ask me. I didn't design the costume to begin with. It just seemed natural looking to me. 

@sesquipedalophobe said:
    @TheMess1428: Oh, okay. But if Superman hadn't worn a belt and still dated Lois Lane and Wonder Woman at the same time, would this have changed your perception of belts versus one-piece suits?
    Now if they actually showed that happening in this movie, it would completely redeem the whole thing. But as just rumors, its more like he could be in the closet. Not that he's actually gay or anything. (Plus I always liked Batman and Wonder Woman as a better couple... Just saying.)
    BransonHuggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BransonHuggins
    @Cosmic Sentinel: First off.  Why would a grown man, superhero or not wear there underwear on the outside of there costume?  Sorry, but everytime I have said that I have thought to myself that person must have severe mental issues, because they have there underwear in the wrong place.   

Secondly, the bulge....dude, if that's distracting, maybe you need to spend less time eyeing dudes junk.  Just saying.  It wasn't distracting to me, you know why?  Because I wasn't looking at some dudes junk.  That easy.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#89  Edited By Dracade102

He looks like a really bad designed 90's action figure with those stupid plastic capes... I kinda get how they'd want to give him a more "alien" feel with his costume here, but It's not a very good attempt. I really hope something is done about this here.

BransonHuggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BransonHuggins
    @spiderbat87: What I don't get it this.  If this costume "makes him look gay" then what does the underwear on the outside look like?  Come on guys/girls, saying this looks gay is idiotic and so incredibly idiotic that it's not even funny.  "He looks gay"...well I don't think he looks any gayer then any super hero running around in tights.  Sorry, but if anyone on this thread was wearing a super hero costume from the comics, they would look  a little...off.   

As far as the bulge goes.  Guys/girls, he's in tights.  Seriously, have you ever worn tights?  I get it, you read comics, and in the comics everyone looks like they have nothing (unless you are a chick, then you pretty much always have at least DD breast) in there pants.  They all look like crothchless barbie dolls to be honest.  But I get it, you guys don't care about that, you just care about it when it is in your face in the movies.   

I love comics, but I have to say, I have never heard or seen a more whiny group of cry babies in my life until I started talking to all the fan boys.  You guys/girls are NEVER happy, yet you demand that things be done to appease you, and the even funnier thing is, YOU CONTINUE TO BUY THE STUFF.  Simple thing here, if you don't like it, it is your right to say so, but it's also your right to shut the hell up.  

By the way, Spiderbat87, NONE OF THIS is placed towards you.  I just jumped off of your post.  Sorry.
    Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#91  Edited By Comicfan47
    @NightFang: Agreed, especially to the second one down. I like the lighter blue with the more noticeable red. Where did you find those? Or did you just edit them?
    obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#92  Edited By obscurefan

It looks like the costume was cut too short so they had to stretch it and pin it together.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#93  Edited By jordama

Superman without briefs? just seems odd. 

sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dracade102: The cape on Superman has always been ridiculous, but with this it's more Roman centurion. I'm a firm believer that should they completely revitalize the character, he wouldn't need a cape. It's neither symbolic or relevant to his abilities. 
    @TheMess1428: I always prefer superheroes to be completely sexless and misunderstood by writers, usually resulting in pointless, political marriages. 
    @BransonHuggins: I've worn tights. They're probably more comfortable than sweats.
    Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#95  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel
    @BransonHuggins: Maybe if he had his underwear on the outside, he might keep his modesty. Generally, I don't eye other guy's junk. I wear a full suit in the bath so that I don't have to see mine. But that's so big it has it's own gravitational pull. I think the reason his costume looks dark is because light can't escape it.
    bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By bane122

For the most part I like it but it could use some color around the waist to help make it look not so plain. Too much blue. I don't necasarrily mean the trunks as I'm fine with a movie costume not having them (comics not so much), but something needs to be there. The photoshop someone did turning the seams red was pretty good.

Something has been baffling me though. All around the internet I keep seeing people mention their unhappiness with bulge and I just don't get it. Men got dicks, and if the costume is supposed to be tight enough to show off the muscles and (ssemingly) veins it does it would be showing a bulge like that; and if the dude's packin', he's packin'. It's not really at all like "nipplegate" in that those were added for no reason and served no purpose, but at least a tight crotch makes sense given the type of outfit this is.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

#97  Edited By keith71_98

I agree with the others who say it needs something red around the waist. Looks terribly plain, not fashion wise but generally speaking.

bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By bane122

@sesquipedalophobe: @sesquipedalophobe said:

@Dracade102: The cape on Superman has always been ridiculous, but with this it's more Roman centurion. I'm a firm believer that should they completely revitalize the character, he wouldn't need a cape. It's neither symbolic or relevant to his abilities.

That's not quite true. The cape is supposed to be very resilient to damage, much like the rest of the outfit and he himself, and can be used as a shield to help protect people from harm. There have been times when he's jumped in front of someone and flared it out to block bullets, fire... things like that.

Ruvik_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Ruvik_

dont care
    Ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Ran

i know i'm beating on a dead horse here ,but that costume is almost ridiculously too dark. i REALLY hope they don't try to make this movie dark like the bat man movies and personally even through superman returns SUCKS at least the costume was really cool and bright. and although i usually don't judge a movie in advance just based on early pics but, Zach S. is making this so im just going to say it will suck     

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.