Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman: Impossible to make video-game adaptation?

• 77 results
    Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ValendianKnight

So recently I started playing Batman Arkham Asylum again, and I'm always amazed at the lengths they went to make sure that was a purely Batman experience. There was nothing you could that didn't make you seem like Batman, and it was great for it. So I started thinking, why can't there be a good game based on DC's flagship hero, Superman? On paper, it seems easy, but once I put some thought into it, I came to the conclusion that it's impossible to make a game for Superman that is equal to AA, because of the character. They just can't make the player REALLY feel like they are Superman, and not make the game incredibly easy and boring. For example, if I'm Superman and I punch a car, that needs to be launched MILES away from me. I should be able to pick sky-scrapper sized objects and fly around with them. I need to be able to get from point A to point B in Metropolis within seconds. I shouldn't be able to get hurt, or slowed down by anything but the strongest of villains.

If any of you played Superman Returns(or any Superman game for that matter), you know that aside from being a terrible game in general, it also failed to make you FEEL like you're Superman(though not giving Superman a health bar, but giving the city one instead was very well thought out). Sure, you can fly around, but it's very slow for someone like Superman, and I never felt all that strong. Obviously this is saying nothing of the actual story, which I think aside from the comics, only DC animators can give Superman good stories. With the second Batman game being released in 2011 and looking mighty awesome, and a new Superman movie in the works, I wonder if DC will actually try and pull Superman off in his own game. I personally don't think it can be done, both from a simple design perspective(no challenge), and a technology one(I need to see through walls, hear things from far away, and bring a building completely down with one or two punches, not easy to do with current tech).

I personally think Superman(this really applies to any super powerful hero really) could make for one badass game if done right, I just don't think it CAN be done right, not completely(which we might all have to settle for). Thoughts?

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Death Certificate

i heard that death and return of superman for the snes was decent. I see what you are trying say, seeing that rocksteady is owned by warner bros, a good superman game could come soon.

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @ValendianKnight said:

They just can't make the player REALLY feel like they are Superman, and not make the game incredibly easy and boring. For example, if I'm Superman and I punch a car, that needs to be launched MILES away from me. I should be able to pick sky-scrapper sized objects and fly around with them. I need to be able to get from point A to point B in Metropolis within seconds. I shouldn't be able to get hurt, or slowed down by anything but the strongest of villains. 

If any of you played Superman Returns(or any Superman game for that matter), you know that aside from being a terrible game in general, it also failed to make you FEEL like you're Superman(though not giving Superman a health bar, but giving the city one instead was very well thought out). Sure, you can fly around, but it's very slow for someone like Superman, and I never felt all that strong. Obviously this is saying nothing of the actual story, which I think aside from the comics, only DC animators can give Superman good stories.

(I need to see through walls, hear things from far away, and bring a building completely down with one or two punches, not easy to do with current tech).  I personally think Superman(this really applies to any super powerful hero really) could make for one badass game if done right, I just don't think it CAN be done right, not completely(which we might all have to settle for). Thoughts? "

"For example, if I'm Superman and I punch a car, that needs to be launched MILES away from me."
    "I should be able to pick sky-scrapper sized objects and fly around with them."??/

That is more of a Hulk thing, Supes is more careful with his powers. And he reserves his strength on all but the characters who can beat him. His power has to be toned down a bit if he is in a city ala Tom Welling Superman.

I need to be able to get from point A to point B in Metropolis within seconds. I shouldn't be able to get hurt, or slowed down by anything but the strongest of villains.
     I agree I dont know a lot of his villains but there should always be a puzzle/strategy of him finding out who the bad guy is.
    not a straight beat em up.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By PumpkinBomb

Yeah, I should be able to hit Right Bumper to speedblitz my opponent and throw him into the sun. 

That would free up a lot of time for me to do important stuff like journalism and spending personal time with Lois.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vitality

I actually thought Superman Returns was a good game. 

If they took the core gameplay and added in more content...that would be a sweet Superman game.
    Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

Not super familiar with his cadre of villains. But maybe a Superboy prime story where he has to save all of realities, and at the end fight an amped up Superboy/Kal-L.

Treacherous/Tragic anti-villain storyline would be good. Not just another Lex Luthor/Toyman robots beat em up.
    P.S. How do you add a forum to favorites?

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By roadbuster
    @Vitality: I tend to agree.  The main weakness of Returns was boredom... you basically had three different tasks that were relentlessly recycled- rescue, minions, boss- with only minimal variety between each cycle.  Otherwise, it was a good crack at the overall framework for a game, but it needed another year of content development, increased environment interactivity, and polish to actually be fun.

I have a lot of thoughts on this in general but don't have time right now to get into it, sadly.
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ValendianKnight
    @Mainline said:
    " @Vitality: I tend to agree.  The main weakness of Returns was boredom... you basically had three different tasks that were relentlessly recycled- rescue, minions, boss- with only minimal variety between each cycle.  Otherwise, it was a good crack at the overall framework for a game, but it needed another year of content development, increased environment interactivity, and polish to actually be fun. I have a lot of thoughts on this in general but don't have time right now to get into it, sadly. "
    I'd love to hear those ideas actually, when you get the time. As for Returns, it wasn't as bad as previous releases, but like you guys said, lacked far too much content and polish, and I wouldn't consider it nowhere NEAR Arkham Asylum.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By speedlgt

it could work as GTA style game with you running around the city saving people. Th hard part would be saving them all. I vote or no minions at all cause reality wise superman just runs through them. the game should put superman in a moral delima situation. No health bar at all but loads of probems
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Primmaster64

Its about time they give Supes a game

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Maybe you all should try out a little gem called Superman 64, and stop with the whining.

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By KRYPTON

A Superman: Metropolis game or something like that could be made. The game should be made by Rocksteady, the group that created Batman AA

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Primmaster64
    @KRYPTON : Yes
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Jotham

It could be done. The main problem I see is it would be hard to control him and all his powers, but with new control schemes now, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ValendianKnight

I still don't think it's possible to make a Superman game that is as on point with the character as Arkham Asylum was. Superman is just way too fast and too strong to be controlled in a game, but I would settle for a slightly less powerful version of him if the game was at least built well. There are lots of tricks they can use of course, like using slow motion when Superman enters super speed, because running in real time would be impossible to control him when he's running damn near the speed of light. As for his strength, like someone said, sure they can use the fact that Superman is more responsible and in control of his powers so punching a building off it's ground would be something he wouldn't do, but this is a game. Why not let the player just go crazy if they want to, but suffer the consequences of reckless use of his powers? I just won't feel like Superman if I can't save a massive jet airplane falling from the sky with my bare hands, or if I'm I get into a fight with Darkseid and EVERYTHING around me doesn't get completely wrecked from that fight. In returns, Superman would have to pick up people one by one and run to an ambulance......really?

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By roadbuster
    @ValendianKnight said:
    "I'd love to hear those ideas actually, when you get the time. As for Returns, it wasn't as bad as previous releases, but like you guys said, lacked far too much content and polish, and I wouldn't consider it nowhere NEAR Arkham Asylum. "
    Sorry, I can't find a series of posts I did on it back when BlueTights.net was covering Superman Returns.  I don't know if I have the heart to try and reconstruct them. 

I agree there are thematic issues with giving kids control over the ultimate icon of virtue and power in a GTA environment that begs for bullying, abuse, and- as the Hulk franchise decided- ultimate destruction... but I think a lot of them can be resolved... there are a lot of games with godlike characters which still encourage moral choices despite the freedom not to.  Also, as a tangent, I think you could type in a code to be Bizarro and thus be free to do whatever you wanted without marring Superman's image in the licensing... but back on topic... there are more challenges to a Superman game than many other games have to face, but I don't think they're unsurmountable.
    Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Eternal Chaos
    @ValendianKnight said:
    " So recently I started playing Batman Arkham Asylum again, and I'm always amazed at the lengths they went to make sure that was a purely Batman experience. There was nothing you could that didn't make you seem like Batman, and it was great for it. So I started thinking, why can't there be a good game based on DC's flagship hero, Superman? On paper, it seems easy, but once I put some thought into it, I came to the conclusion that it's impossible to make a game for Superman that is equal to AA, because of the character. They just can't make the player REALLY feel like they are Superman, and not make the game incredibly easy and boring. For example, if I'm Superman and I punch a car, that needs to be launched MILES away from me. I should be able to pick sky-scrapper sized objects and fly around with them. I need to be able to get from point A to point B in Metropolis within seconds. I shouldn't be able to get hurt, or slowed down by anything but the strongest of villains.  If any of you played Superman Returns(or any Superman game for that matter), you know that aside from being a terrible game in general, it also failed to make you FEEL like you're Superman(though not giving Superman a health bar, but giving the city one instead was very well thought out). Sure, you can fly around, but it's very slow for someone like Superman, and I never felt all that strong. Obviously this is saying nothing of the actual story, which I think aside from the comics, only DC animators can give Superman good stories. With the second Batman game being released in 2011 and looking mighty awesome, and a new Superman movie in the works, I wonder if DC will actually try and pull Superman off in his own game. I personally don't think it can be done, both from a simple design perspective(no challenge), and a technology one(I need to see through walls, hear things from far away, and bring a building completely down with one or two punches, not easy to do with current tech).  I personally think Superman(this really applies to any super powerful hero really) could make for one badass game if done right, I just don't think it CAN be done right, not completely(which we might all have to settle for). Thoughts? "
    I've been saying this for years.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roadbuster

A big part of what makes Superman Superman is his attitude and public affirmation of that.  It's not the powers.  There are countless Superman-archetypes who are just big flying bricks who wouldn't feel anything like Superman even if you were in their spandex.  Yet gamers and game designers put all the focus on the powers, which are imminently destructive.  That's certainly a part of Superman's appeal- the wish fulfillment, power fantasy, violence- but without that larger sense of duty, heroism, and honor the experience will feel empty, flat, and far from Superman-like.  However, Superman is hailed as a hero, treated as one, and the feedback he gets from that is part of what makes him Superman as opposed to a mopey demigod bearing the weight of the city- and a grudge of resentment against them for the chore / busywork they represent.  When the game make it "look like just a job" as opposed to a "job for Superman" it puts the player in an emotional state that is patently un-Superman-like.  If you have a chip on your shoulder against Metropolis, you're in no frame of mind to be Superman. 

But nonetheless there still are "chores" to do.  It might feel awesome to save that little girls red balloon the first time... but the fifth, fifteenth, fiftieth time you hear, "MY BALLOON!" are you anywhere near as sympathetic? 

Which is why the GTA / random good-deed mission mechanic isn't exactly the best choice.  Instead, you have to look to games which encourage those essential paternalistic, affirmation, feedback patterns and there's actually plenty of them and they're astoundingly popular / successful- games like Farmville, The Sims, Sim City, Civilization, Puzzle games, etc.  Yes, we have an impetus to destroy- particularly in action games- but humans have just as much of an impetus to create, to nurture, to bring order as long as there is a positive feedback loop that rewards the behavior. 

... when I can post again I'll discuss some ways of achieving that in an open world action-type game, while still having many outlets for destructive and action tendencies.... 

But if there's one walkaway point: "Feeling like Superman" is less about the powers than one might imagine... just like Arkham managed to provide the feeling of Batman without giving you a fully stocked utility belt or complete compliment of martial arts moves from the beginning (that is, Batman was not "perfect", fully prepared and skilled), being these characters is less about the abilities and more about how everything else drives the atmosphere and attitude of the game.

ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ValendianKnight

I agree, Superman is much more than just his powers. What I mean though, and why I bring a lot of examples as to what I want from his powers, cause that seems like the most difficult thing to pull off. Making me control Superman at super speed, or making him feel truly strong seems hard to do cause there are no other video games with a character THIS strong(good atmosphere is definitely possible with the right team). Look at games like Red Dead Redemption. I never did any of that stuff in real life(break and ride a horse, hunt, fire a weapon), but when I was playing that game, I felt like a damn cowboy from start to finish. There was nothing I could do that would be out of character. So you are right, giving Superman all his powers with 100% accuracy won't mean a damn thing if everything around him feels distinctively un-Superman. They have to make you CARE for the city, and while Returns played with that by giving Metropolis a health bar instead of Superman, it was still just a meter. Superman wouldn't go around breaking everything in sight, but in a game, he SHOULD be able to do it if he wants too......the game just needs to remind you that it's NOT what Superman should be doing, much like Arkham reminded you of Batman's humanity every time the player tried to take on enemies using guns head on, but still let you knock yourself out and try that.

sadisticon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sadisticon2

In a Superman game with absolute freedom we must remedy the question of integrity to the source. Superman is not a villain. He is not prone to wanton acts of lawlessness and destruction. However, many alternate versions of the man of steel are less morally inclined. If a player decides at some point to play as a destructive force of un-nature we should let them. After a two to five minute period, we should end their rampage with Team Luthor and a well placed kryptonite grenade rendering the avatar unconscious. When they revive they will either be in CK's apartment or the FoS in bed, reeling from the aftershock of a nightmare. If the player continually misbehaves then an alternate storyline should begin where he will have to be destroyed through Lois' treachery (or some other trusted individual)it could be called "Ultraman Lives" or "Reign of the Superman". Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here, folks; I want flight and super strength! Shit, give me a Captain Marvel game....

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Primmaster64

How about using the Golden Age Superman?   

Inevitable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Inevitable
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Well, they can make a game in which you actually need to battle some very strong villains, and when you're in the city, a "hold back" fucntion which you can turn on/off in order not to ruin the city while flying. But the game with Superman as in comics must have INSANE physics.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Inevitable: Check the video I posted
    Inevitable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Inevitable
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @Inevitable: Check the video I posted "
    What game is that ? Looks good, although Doomsday is ugly as always. Why they just can't make him look cool ?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Inevitable: Its a cancelled game
    batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By batmanary

Well the whole problem of superman games is generally the flight control and aiming your vision powers. actually I found Shadow of Apokolips' Superman was pretty easy to control...so if you had that and then made the city better and more accessible... have Clark Kent missions or the like, maybe even go on dates with Lois or Cat Grant. Basically you should be able to live as Superman AND Clark Kent. This game should be well-financed. More money should be put into it than Arkham. I say location-wise, put in Metropolis, Gotham,Smallville and the Watchtower. This would really make Superman, Superman.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Primmaster64
    @batmanary: Golden Age Superman could work.
    TASTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TASTE

Well I liked Superman Returns, it was great but like someone said, it didnt feel like being the character, superman. Maybe if some game maker could look at how other games and adjust from it, it might make him look better. Or even better start him off from the begining, where hes got nothing but speed, jump and strength like the incredible hulk game. Do missions to get the rest of his powers where he can choose places like smallville and metropolis. And also upgrading his powers, Like speed, to when you pick a building or a mission on the grid he can lightning speed his way to it, like the flash, instead of travelling to that distination. Like how the Hulk goes into the subways on the game to get from one side of town to the other side, have superman super speed Or have him have a time limit on his super speed so no one can see him and hes going super fast. And his jump. Upgrade his jumps till he can fly, have him jumping all the way on top of buildings cause it would look ridiculous him smacking against the building cause he cant jump all the way like the hulk and his strength? Well we all know his strong. So on and so forth, the powers are easy, its the game play that should be targeted. I reckon playing both characters Clark Kent and Superman would be awesome too, like smallville. Like Clark Kent being in his teens in college helping his friends, improving his powers to when he gets his job in the daily planet and being a reporter to find his villians and having him turn into the hero when something like burglary or a car chase or something bad happens. Or Like The Transformers and pick missions around the world. Have superman floating in space, like Superman Returns Movie, and pick your missions. Superman would be hard game to create cause hes an open person that shows his face.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Billy Batson
    @fesak said:
    " Maybe you all should try out a little gem called Superman 64, and stop with the whining. "
    is it good?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Billy Batson: No...he's actually being sarcastic.
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By MrDirector786

I actually have a few ideas of what I'd do if I made a Superman game. Now before I say them, I should let you all know I never played any Superman video game before so if these ideas were already used let me know.

First, I think I would have two gauges for Superman - one is a life bar and another is an invulnerability bar. When Superman gets hit, his invulnerability bar will drop to a degree but will recover after being hit. In order for his life bar to actually go down, his invulnerability bar has to go down all the way. However, attacks from like kryptonite, red sun radiation, or magic can actually damage his life bar without first having to lower his invulnerability bar. I'm also thinking that when he's exposed to kryptonite his life bar slowly decreases while red sunlight will slowly decrease his invulnerability bar and take away his powers if exposed to long. Superman's health bar also naturally increases on its own over time and will increase faster when exposed to yellow sunlight. I'm also thinking that he can't fly or use any vision powers when under red sunlight for too long. Some power-ups I'm thinking of include sundipping which makes you completely invincible for a short amount of time. And finally, I'm thinking of having the final boss be Lex Luthor but Superman would also have been exposed to a red sun so you fight him without any powers while he's not using any special devices making it a pure hand to hand fight between them.

As a side note, I think I'll use MS Paint to depict some of my ideas. :P

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Primmaster64
    @MrDirector786: Ugh Lex Luthor again?
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#33  Edited By Doctor!!!!!
    @Vitality said:
    "I actually thought Superman Returns was a good game.  If they took the core gameplay and added in more content...that would be a sweet Superman game. "

Are you sure you played that game? I played it, and it was the worse 7 hours of my life!!!!!
    Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bombs_Away

First of all, I'm pretty new to comics and haven't read any Superman ones, but I know the gist of the back story and I'm also very experienced with video games. 

So I've got a few ideas for a Superman game, I really think that it could work...

It would be heavily influenced by Heavy Rain, but with plenty of action as well. Maybe something similar to how I believe L.A. Noire will turn out. It will also be a very dark tale. 

It would start off with a intro scene, with the whole crashing on earth, being found etc. Gameplay would start in his teenage years, and this would act as a tutorial section. However, unlike most tutorial sections, this one is very important. You would have to complete a few tasks, they might be pretty simple but they would be extremely vital to the rest of the game. Depending on your success in the tutorial and ability to pick up the controls, this would affect how powerful Superman would be later on in the game. So, for example, if you fail a task that involved heat vision, later on in the game this ability wouldn't be that effective. 

Now on to the core aspect of the game. Following the tutorial, we're transported to a few years later and Clark is starting out in Metropolis. The game would revolve around Clark working as a journalist, he goes to crime scenes, finds the clues, interviews people and has to do a certain amount of research before he can battle a villain. This would build the character of Clark as well as avoiding the obvious problem of how to make a 10+ hour game that involves Superman without it getting boring. Possible storylines would be smaller crimes from the underworld that lead to boss fights, Lois Lane getting kidnapped and leading to a confrontation with Lex and maybe a final showdown on Kypton with Zod (if I'm wrong on any story points I'm sorry!). While the story develops, obviously a relationship with Lois would develop. And again, similar to Heavy Rain and Mass Effect, depending on decisions made, there will be different results. Maybe if Clark is a dick, Lois becomes more attracted to Lex for example. 

The true "Superman" moments would be the boss fights, they would be massive set pieces. Create "arenas" of sorts where Superman would fight against the bad guys, and only against the big, strong bad guys, and this would remove the pointless battles with lesser enemies. Maybe in the lead up to the boss fight, Superman could demolish through a few weak enemies in order for the player to tune up, a la No More Heroes on the Wii. The boss fights would be very difficult because the enemies would have their full powers, as well as access to kryptonite, while Superman's powers will depend on the level of skill that was displayed in the tutorial. This gives the tutorial a significant amount importance. 

And yeah that's a basic premise. Maybe people could help build on it, because I genuinely think it could work. When Superman games are made, the thing that they miss is that its all action, and we miss out on the personality of Clark Kent. This game gives you that. 

So I hope you like it, any opinions are really welcome!!!

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cpt_linger

Or.... just make it exactly like GTA except the obvious changes (can fly, super strength/speed/sight/hearing, laser eyes and ice breath). Have him flying around metropolis city with compleltely free roaming ability.  

Like spiderman, but with superman....
    Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bombs_Away
    @cpt_linger said:
    " Or.... just make it exactly like GTA except the obvious changes (can fly, super strength/speed/sight/hearing, laser eyes and ice breath). Have him flying around metropolis city with compleltely free roaming ability.   Like spiderman, but with superman.... "
    But as has already been said, that wouldn't work. You can't make a 10 hour game doing that, it would get boring real quickly.
    cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cpt_linger
    @bombs_away said:
    " @cpt_linger said:
    " Or.... just make it exactly like GTA except the obvious changes (can fly, super strength/speed/sight/hearing, laser eyes and ice breath). Have him flying around metropolis city with compleltely free roaming ability.   Like spiderman, but with superman.... "
    But as has already been said, that wouldn't work. You can't make a 10 hour game doing that, it would get boring real quickly. "

Well do it RPG style, make it so doing things will make him stronger ie (fly here to increase your flight speed, throw a car to increase your strength, run here to here to increase speed, melt this to increase laserz etc etc) 

I think that would be cool. If its PS3/360/Wii game then there's a lot of possibilities. Just need to make it better than the one on N64 (Fly through giant rings floating in the sky for points....) laaame....
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrDirector786
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @MrDirector786: Ugh Lex Luthor again? "
    If it makes you feel better, they fight on top of Lexcorp building and at the end Superman knocks Luthor off the roof on accident with a punch and tries to save him but Luthor falls to his death. :P
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrDirector786
    @Primmaster64 said:

" @MrDirector786: Ugh Lex Luthor again? "

The fight would be something like this. :P
      Snake is Superman, Liquid is Luthor.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Primmaster64
    @MrDirector786: cool
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By Deranged Midget
    @Primmaster64: Dude, that game would've been wicked and it actually looked really good, better than Returns did. 

My idea for a Superman game would be quite simple actually. Possibly build it into chapters in the way Alan Wake was made. For example first chapter would be Clark's life in Smallville, learning how to use his powers or gaining them one by one and using them for different situations. I would like to see a game which actually utilizes his X-ray vision or telescopic vision to find a villain in the Batman uses detective vision in Arkham Asylum. I would also have an upgrade system for his powers. As he develops and discovers his powers, they aren't as powerful as we all know them to be, leading to easier gameplay mechanics and not resulting in the invincible powerhouse he was in Returns. For example, when he discovers Super speed, he can't run that fast and the player has to use other powers creatively to take down a villain, rather than just punching him repeatedly. Flight would be the hardest to access, and the player would start out with simply jumping around, somewhat inspired by the Golden Age Superman. This would make travelling around the world harder but in return the game would be more enjoyable since you can't fly around it in 5 seconds. His strength would start out weaker than usual, to just barely lifting a car at the start and still somewhat vulnerable to gunfire and other weapons which cause the players to actually think of different ways to take down enemies rather than speed blitzing them constantly, which lead to repetitive gameplay.  

As your powers advance, the next chapter begins with Clark starting out at the daily planet and moving to Metropolis. His job could be similarly used to the way Spiderman 2 used it. You go there for assignments or hints at where trouble is in the world and even have cases which work similarly to the way the new L.A. Noire game works. Being a reporter, you can use your powers to scope out crime scenes and interview victims using your powers to determine if they are lying by checking their heartbeat with X-ray vision. That's just to add another twist to the game so it doesn't get repetitive. When you fight bigger villains or have a boss battle, a quick time event such as the one in the video that Primmaster64 posted would occur to perhaps gain an upper hand on the villain. As you get stronger and more powerful with your powers, your enemies begin to take notice and start upgrading their weapons. Some might have juiced up thugs with kryptonite gauntlets to even the playing field, or magic might come into play. Cameo's are a must, maybe having Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern called in to help in a case or stop a vilain to powerful for Superman to handle alone would offer fan service and newer twists to the game. Destructible environments would be added but to a degree. Where you end up destroying building or neighbourhoods without care, the city would start to lose faith in you and believe that you are becoming more reckless and start to trust evil tycoons such as Luthor to rebuild the city and handle you. It would be somewhat like a trust meter, where you have to earn the people's trust.

Well that's just some ideas I had boiling in my head, feel free to comment and criticize :P  
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Deranged Midget: Nice
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ThanosIsMad

An Assassins Creed style game would work better for Superman.  You have a hub world, and multiple cities or whatever that Superman travels to to unravel the story.  Each city or location is essentially an open world where missions and sidequests are done to progress the story, and afterward, that location is done with.  Like Assassins Creed, you can go back to the city to do random quests or whatnot, but the place holds little to no relevance to the core story (unless it's Metropolis).

Though really, an Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction style game could easily work for Superman.  Add in Superman's villains instead of Hulk, add in Supes' powers, and toss in random encounters with goons that gradually become more powerful as the story progresses (like how you started out fighting soliders and tanks, and then gradually stronger Hulkbusters in UD), and it could easily work.  Superman and his enemies would have to be reformatted instead of lifted from the current canon, though, like how Hulk's enemies were rebooted because they held little to no connection to each other in order for the story to flow correctly.  With these methods, a 10-15+ hour story about Superman in an open world environment can easily be done, especially if CryEngine 3 was used, which not only provides environment destruction, but randomly generated scenery on the fly, which would save room to include other hub worlds aside from Metropolis, like the Fortress of Solitude or even alien planets or ships.

TASTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TASTE

There has been alot of ideas into making a great superman game, and it looks like its just based on him. Maybe if we get some of the other DC characters involved it might seem better. Dont get me wrong, I like a "just superman" game but i'll love to see our other heroes come in too. Like if Supes gets hurt in one part of the game and it gets to ruff for him that hes almost dieing. I mean theres these guys in kryptonite suites that are smashing, punching, ground pounding our hero and then one minute the whole place is filled with smoke. All you can hear is cries, kicks, punches, some more cries and then the smoke is cleared. The villians are knocked unconcious on the ground with Supes. Supes glares up and sees batman over him giving him a hand up and then they disappear. I mean that would freak me out. One minute im sitting there getting my arse kicked and then Batman is there to save my arse. I'll be like WHOA did not expect that!!!.. O.K how did supes get into that perdicamate? lex luthor arranged a meeting with you and of course how sadly vulnurable and gullible supes is he would agree??i dont know.. Or maybe the powerstation was not going and you went to investergate and hello Lol...  I have alot of ideas but it fails cause supes is to perfect in a hero way. He can fly, so how far in the game should he be able to fly? just as far as the clouds? As far as the moon??. Hes strong too in strength and vulnerbility, when he hits into a building, should it smash? when his enemies punch him, should he be able to withstand it and not move? and his speed? how fast should he be? Cause when you give supes a limit of what he could do, you not gonna feel like your playing the character.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Primmaster64

Golden Age power levels would be good for a first game.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

@Primmaster64 said:

Golden Age power levels would be good for a first game.

The only problem with that is that everyone who isn't a comic fan would hate it, as they would expect flying, heat vision, and everything else people have come to expect from Superman. Now I may not like comic Superman at all, but I'm loving the new Action Comics Superman and I think if they based a game around that but give him his actual costume and have his reboot costumes as unlocks I'd buy it.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Mr. Dead Pool: But it would steel sell
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

@Primmaster64: But if they base it around the new Action Comics Superman it would be great. After all AC Superman IS basically GA Superman just with the vision powers and super speed.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Mr. Dead Pool: That's what I meant
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

@Primmaster64 said:

@Mr. Dead Pool: That's what I meant

Guess I miss understood you. But yeah I see the game going like this. You start out with the basic powers AC Supes has, and you go through the first half of the game trying to stop Luthor and his secret organized crime ring. After that you unlock Superman's full power and get to wear the classic Supes outfit and then you gotta deal with Brainiac, then Darkseid and finally Doomsday.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.