Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman character (from Supergirl) spin-off series?

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mainly cause I'm not especially happy with the DCEU Man of Steel character, and like this one better (other than the sloppy cape attachment). I also like the Supergirl world better, as well as the DC TV shows in general better. Throwing in potential crossovers with the CW-verse, and the fact that Smallville Supes never really fully happened...

I just want it... It would make me happy...

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Id rather watch paint dry

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

manny_int

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By manny_int

Ill rather be stung my multiple tarantulahawks and bullet ants.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd rather watch this video in 10000000000000 loop

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes please. Tyler was damned near perfect.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By buttersdaman000

If they flesh him out, i'd be down. As he is now, the character is just the Reeve pandering incarnate. Concerning the modern Superman, he fails just as much as Cav-El does in temperament, only on the other side of the spectrum IMO. And that end is pure cheese.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jogga

It's pretty much up in the air at this point. He was received incredibly well. It's about time that a Superman sticks to what the character stands for, rather than the age old trend of the grubby hero saving the world that doesn't appreciate his sacrifices.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ScouterV

@jogga said:

It's pretty much up in the air at this point. He was received incredibly well. It's about time that a Superman sticks to what the character stands for, rather than the age old trend of the grubby hero saving the world that doesn't appreciate his sacrifices.

Implying the Supergirl version of Superman isn't an age-old trend? Everyones' favorite superhero?

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: of course not. Being loved is older than the idea of the Clark Kent being a lovable square. Both of these stick to the character for a reason.

The difference is that one sticks to the character well.

The other is a grubby hero feeling sorry for himself.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

@scouterv: of course not. Being loved is older than the idea of the Clark Kent being a lovable square. Both of these stick to the character for a reason.

They both seem like overused tropes, to me.

However, I prefer what you'd call "grubby" if only because it's something different for Superman, compared to the other and there's room for growth with it, as opposed to the seemingly stagnant alternative.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SaintWildcard
    @jogga said:

Narc..... he was a narc, nobody loves a narc.

Loading Video...

@scouterv said:
    @jogga said:

However, I prefer what you'd call "grubby" if only because it's something different for Superman, compared to the other and there's room for growth with it, as opposed to the seemingly stagnant alternative.

He's got you there, plus using BvS as the gold standard for showing a Superman V The World storyline is like saying that if Lobdell couldn't make New 52 Superman work, nobody can. Both are overused (but to be fair, everything is overused nowadays), but one is an actual journey and can atleast try and add dynamics, while the other doesn't (by which I mean the narc version).

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jogga

@scouterv said:

Like I said, I'm not denying that's the case. Superman is an old character, and he's persevered for a reason.

I know you prefer it. But, if anything, that Superman is the stagnant one. At least the Superman expreses himself properly. Being a brooding stagnant plank of wood leaves room for growth, sure. And sure, its a different direction. But that doesn't make it a quality character, or an especially memorable one in any positive way.

@saintwildcard said:

I fail to actually understand the word you're using, sir. And I don't think you know the definition of it either.

@saintwildcard said:
    He's got you there, plus using BvS as the gold standard for showing a Superman V The World storyline is like saying that if Lobdell couldn't make New 52 Superman work, nobody can. Both are overused (but to be fair, everything is overused nowadays), but one is an actual journey and can atleast try and add dynamics, while the other doesn't (by which I mean the narc version).

*snort*

I love the fact that your best argument is basically "it leads room for character development"

Before anything, really, you need a character for character development. Henry wasn't given anything to work with throughout the entire two movies he's been in. He's basically cardboard, which is ironic considering it's the same complaint about the typical Superman archetype you see Superman haters use. All you guys talked about is the fact that this Superman has room for growth in the long run, rather than talk about any memorable traits he has as a character. What that tells me is that you guys are more in-love with the "idea" and the "potential" of this Superman rather than the man himself.

This new (Tyler)Superman is square, sure, whatever. But to say that this Superman doesn't have room for character development because its plays into a version that has been around for decades is kind of oxymoronic. We literally had multiple radio shows, tv series, cartoons, and comics with this same exact character and there still have been many good story's out of all of them. Are you guys sure you know what character you're even talking about?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
    @scouterv said:

Like I said, I'm not denying that's the case. Superman is an old character, and he's persevered for a reason.

I know you prefer it. But, if anything, that Superman is the stagnant one. At least the Superman expreses himself properly. Being a brooding stagnant plank of wood leaves room for growth, sure. And sure, its a different direction. But that doesn't make it a quality character, or an especially memorable one in any positive way.

@saintwildcard said:

I fail to actually understand the word you're using, sir. And I don't think you know the definition of it either.

@saintwildcard said:

*snort*

I love the fact that your best argument is basically "it leads room for character development"

Before anything, really, you need a character for character development. Henry wasn't given anything to work with throughout the entire two movies he's been in. He's basically cardboard, which is ironic considering it's the same complaint about the typical Superman archetype you see Superman haters use. All you guys talked about is the fact that this Superman has room for growth in the long run, rather than talk about any memorable traits he has as a character. What that tells me is that you guys are more in-love with the "idea" and the "potential" of this Superman rather than the man himself.

This new (Tyler)Superman is square, sure, whatever. But to say that this Superman doesn't have room for character development because its plays into a version that has been around for decades is kind of oxymoronic. We literally had multiple radio shows, tv series, cartoons, and comics with this same exact character and there still have been many good story's out of all of them. Are you guys sure you know what character you're even talking about?

Yeah, I do care about the potential for Cav-El. I care about the potential for a lot of characters. If I didn't want to see what they could be, why stick around for what they are. I see no reason to stick around for Tyler as of now.

And you're right. We had a ton of material for classic, always-smiling Superman. Now ask yourself, do you want more of the same? Do you want more vanilla ice cream? Cause you can have it. It will always be there and people will consume it.

Me? I prefer Moose Tracks. I prefer something a little different.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jogga

@scouterv said:

Yeah, I do care about the potential for Cav-El. I care about the potential for a lot of characters. If I didn't want to see what they could be, why stick around for what they are. I see no reason to stick around for Tyler as of now.

And you're right. We had a ton of material for classic, always-smiling Superman. Now ask yourself, do you want more of the same? Do you want more vanilla ice cream? Cause you can have it. It will always be there and people will consume it.

Again. There's nothing here about Cavil's Superman character. It's all just ideas about him, instead of what you have right now.

I like Tyler, I like both Reeve and Reeves, the Max Fleischer and the Kirk Alyn, The Radio Show and The Animated Series by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini.

Yes, I do want more of Superman. Superman is awesome.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:
    @scouterv said:

Again. There's nothing here about Cavil's Superman character. It's all just ideas about him, instead of what you have right now.

I like Tyler, I like both Reeve and Reeves, the Max Fleischer and the Kirk Alyn, The Radio Show and The Animated Series by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini.

Because of the Character. Because it's actually Superman.

Enjoy your ice cream then.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Enjoy your ice cream then.

I will.

May you also enjoy waiting for that Not-Superman you want.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SaintWildcard

@jogga said:

@saintwildcard said:

Basically a straight edge who is a downer at parties. The kind of guy who in High School would give everyone shit for drinking

*snort*

I like how you underplay the importance of character development Plus I never said that, my response dealt more with you disliking that public not liking Superman. I don;t care if you're ALl Star Superman, people out there should hate him or fear him. I'd believe that Superman is real over humanity not being full of spiteful pricks who have a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Even God got shit from the Jews in the desert.

BvS was a shit show that instead of showing character progression they showed regression. If you want to make this into an other MOS debate, that's fine, but you couldn't be more wrong in saying there wasn't. You choosing to not remember the amazing but simple moments isn't proof of the movie not having any, but you claiming ignorance.

Dude.... who are you talking to? CUs it ain't me when you say things like that. My entire mantra since I've been here is that I see Superman as a man first and an icon second.

The whole point of Tyler's Superman is to be the well rounded big brother who can give Kara advice. She even freakin says that he has it all figure out. As for character development, the dude got his way with the KKryptonite, a better showing of character development is that he let them have it cus he trusts them, but instead he got his way.This version isn't Bronze Age Superman, it's SIlver Age but in a modern setting.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically a straight edge who is a downer at parties. The kind of guy who in High School would give everyone shit for drinking

Oh. Ok? Not sure how being corny translates to that, but whatever.

I like how you underplay the importance of character development Plus I never said that, my response dealt more with you disliking that public not liking Superman. I don;t care if you're ALl Star Superman, people out there should hate him or fear him. I'd believe that Superman is real over humanity not being full of spiteful pricks who have a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Even God got shit from the Jews in the desert.

I advise you to read it again if you think my point was underplaying character development. If you don't I'll word it here for your convenience. The argument of "one is an actual journey" while Tyler's Superman is static is laughable considering you need a character for that. Also, I never acknowledged your main argument because I never argued that BvS was some gold standard on the cynical reception Superman receives as a storyline, and in turn we should burn all other storyline. That's just you. I'm saying that being a grubby hero feeling sorry for himself for saving an ungrateful world is pretty against what Superman is.

BvS was a shit show that instead of showing character progression they showed regression. If you want to make this into an other MOS debate, that's fine, but you couldn't be more wrong in saying there wasn't. You choosing to not remember the amazing but simple moments isn't proof of the movie not having any, but you claiming ignorance.

Again. Its not character progression that claiming is lacking. It's character in general. He's pretty one-note.

Dude.... who are you talking to? CUs it ain't me when you say things like that. My entire mantra since I've been here is that I see Superman as a man first and an icon second.

Sure dude

The whole point of Tyler's Superman is to be the well rounded big brother who can give Kara advice. She even freakin says that he has it all figure out. As for character development, the dude got his way with the KKryptonite, a better showing of character development is that he let them have it cus he trusts them, but instead he got his way. This version isn't Bronze Age Superman, it's SIlver Age but in a modern setting.

I don't find anything about this that actually address my point.

I'm not arguing about Tyler Superman's character development at all.

And yes, he quite does strike me as very Kirk Alyn-ish, George Reeves, Silver Age Superman. So what?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

Oh. Ok? Not sure how being corny translates to that, but whatever.

It's just a meaner way of saying Dork or nerd, when you say dorky it sounds cute

I advise you to read it again if you think my point was underplaying character development.

I addressed both in different sections. That sentence still sounds like your underplaying it and you even spilt them up so they don't feel like your trying to get one point across.

If you don't I'll word it here for your convenience. The argument of "one is an actual journey" while Tyler's Superman is static is laughable considering you need a character for that. Also, I never acknowledged your main argument because I never argued that BvS was some gold standard on the cynical reception Superman receives as a storyline, and in turn we should burn all other storyline. That's just you. I'm saying that being a grubby hero feeling sorry for himself for saving an ungrateful world is pretty against what Superman is.

Your original statement wasn't this fleshed out and you simply said you don't wanna see that storyline. Not that you don't wanna see it again, but just that you don't wanna see it period.. In the end, there are a lot of misunderstandings on both sides due to lack of explanation and phrasing.

Again. Its not character progression that claiming is lacking. It's character in general. He's pretty one-note.

And I saw many shades, but we'll just have to agree to disagree since we obviously saw different movies.

Sure dude

Glad you agree

I don't find anything about this that actually address my point.

I'm not arguing about Tyler Superman's character development at all.

And yes, he quite does strike me as very Kirk Alyn-ish, George Reeves, Silver Age Superman. So what?

It does actually, you say that there will be or can be room for character development, but the show is saying otherwise. That's not his purpose. Can there be? Sure, but the writers, the show and the fact that he's only guest star (recurring role at best), say otherwise.

Silver Age Superman wasn't known for his character development. In fact,they made Supergirl the reckless teen because they didn't wanna tarnish the saintly iconic image of Superman they had going at the time. You brought up how there has been character development with a dorky Superman, but the Golden and Silver age aren't exactly when that took place. That's my point

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How bout a MMH show?

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jogga
    @saintwildcard said:

It's just a meaner way of saying Dork or nerd, when you say dorky it sounds cute

From what what you say, its more like a stiff. Which really leads me to believe that its more of a YOU thing than anything else. That Superman was corny as all hell, with quips and the like, but a nark? That's looking for something that's not there

I addressed both in different sections. That sentence still sounds like your underplaying it and you even spilt them up so they don't feel like your trying to get one point across.

This again, seems more like a "you problem"

I stated that your argument was basically "It leads room for character development". Which, is basically you just the same as stating "He can get better". The fact thatI immediately followed with his lack of any actual character to begin with, should have clued you in.

Your original statement wasn't this fleshed out and you simply said you don't wanna see that storyline. Not that you don't wanna see it again, but just that you don't wanna see it period.. In the end, there are a lot of misunderstandings on both sides due to lack of explanation and phrasing.

I didn't say anything about storylines. Again that's just you. In fact, let me quote myself with the statements I said about before you went on with your comment ("It's about time that a Superman sticks to what the character stands for, rather than the age old trend of the grubby hero saving the world that doesn't appreciate his sacrifices") and ("The other is a grubby hero feeling sorry for himself.) Notice how I was only complaining about the character and the tropes, and never once mentioned about any storyline or BvS specifically until you brought it up.

And I saw many shades, but we'll just have to agree to disagree since we obviously saw different movies.

Then we might actually have to debate objectively about it and settle at some point or another.

Glad you agree

Yes uh huh

It does actually, you say that there will be or can be room for character development, but the show is saying otherwise. That's not his purpose. Can there be? Sure, but the writers, the show and the fact that he's only guest star (recurring role at best), say otherwise.

Silver Age Superman wasn't known for his character development. In fact,they made Supergirl the reckless teen because they didn't wanna tarnish the saintly iconic image of Superman they had going at the time. You brought up how there has been character development with a dorky Superman, but the Golden and Silver age aren't exactly when that took place. That's my point

He was a foil of Supergirl, who had years of experience over her, who demonstrated a level of history with J'onn at the faculty. There was no "arc", because it's Supergirl who is having an arc whom he's helping as a mentor and as family supporting her is kind of a given as a supporting character. Even so, he's obviously left a big of an impression on people, which is why there are plenty already claiming for him to have his own spin off show despite his poor reception before the shows season premier. Not to mention the whole reason why this thread was created in the first place.

Not only that, but the fact that you consider the Silver Age and The Golden Age as being lacking as character development of a "Dorky" Superman as you put it is inane. Not only was the Silver and Golden Age filled with the most gimmicky-yet-umpredictable stories imaginable for more than 30 years(Making it impossible for Superman to NOT have any sort of arc, considering he was at the height of his popularity; with two serial shows, radio shows, and a splintered timeline telling of his misadventures as a boy), but the Supergirl shtick makes it obvious you don't even know what you're talking about. Make Supergirl a reckless brat to keep Superman's good image? She was created as a result of Mary Marvel's popularity, as well as the popularity of the Super-girl brand at the time. The fact that she was a reckless kid while Superman was a stern father figure that was reluctant to tell the world about his relative was only due to the popularity of the whole "Nuclear Family" dynamic from the 50's and 60's.

Jesus, I'm going to bed.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure let's get a Batman show too...and drop the "Commissioner Gordon show"! Wait wrong thread!

DC and CW must stand for "Don't Coordinate" and "Can't Write". Seriously, how is marvel so Coordinated and DC is so disjointed, that their crossover with Supergirl was Flash from a different universe ... Granted it would be a nightmare trying to Piece together all these DC realities at this point.

I actually liked this Superman better than Henry's. I would like for him to get his own show! This show has a very classic feel like the "Lois and Clark" show (and from what I recall from the Superboy shows), in that's it's light sided, a lot like the original movies. It's the Superman we deserve and need!

Not to bash Henry...

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After some period of doubts I’ve decided to give it a chance and watch those Supergirl’s episodes with Ho-El, cause, well, who knows, it might be good…

Two conclusions.

First. After watching Supergirl S1 and premier episodes of S2 I realized that, despite my serious dislike for 6-10 Seasons of it, Smallville may as well be Oscar-worthy TV-show.

Second. I would rather see Nic Cage as Superman than Hoechlin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to see anything from this cancerous show get a spin-off.

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

A spin-off about Superman? I would like to see a TV show about Superman, but it's unlikely, that will be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.