Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Canon

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey I've read most of the pre-New 52 Superman books and know of pretty much all of the other arcs I didn't read, but I'm unaware as to which of them is canon and which are not. If someone can enlighten me as to which of the arcs/books are canon, or show me how to find out for myself (besides saying google it, which I've tried), I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure nothing pre new 52 is canon for him

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although his death by doomsday was mentioned. But they are redoing that story in the new 52 soon.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

Nothing Pre-52 is canon. Morrison completely rebooted the character in his run on Action Comics.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Yeah, everything is different

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I meant before the reboot, how do you know what was canon and what wasn't... Similarly, in the New 52, which books/arcs are canon and which are not, and how do you know?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I meant before the reboot, how do you know what was canon and what wasn't... Similarly, in the New 52, which books/arcs are canon and which are not, and how do you know?

Everything with the new 52 on it, is canon, so simple :-)

As for pre52 eh...this is a bit more confusing since the characters got rebooted many times.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for pre52 eh...this is a bit more confusing since the characters got rebooted many times.

Exactly my point, I haven't got into the New 52 material yet, but although I'm familiar if I haven't already read most of Superman pre-reboot, I still cannot discern what is canon and what isn't... How do you know?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Exactly my point, I haven't got into the New 52 material yet, but although I'm familiar if I haven't already read most of Superman pre-reboot, I still cannot discern what is canon and what isn't... How do you know?

From my experience I learn from discussing with other fans. Usually the things that change in the mythology of the hero are mentioned in the book or announced in interviews.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

That seems like too much trouble to go through, I think I may just start reading New 52 material instead and just move on from the pre-reboot stuff... Thank anyways.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

That seems like too much trouble to go through, I think I may just start reading New 52 material instead and just move on from the pre-reboot stuff... Thank anyways.

It's easier than you think. Anyway all stories were canon at some point. Birthright for example is the best Superman origin yet it stopped being canon in 2006, that shouldn't stop you from reading it.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I've read Birthright, also read Secret Origin, Secret Identity, etc, etc... I've read most of the pre-reboot stuff, just wanted to know what was canon in the pre-reboot version so I could compare/contrast it to the New 52 version, alas I think I may just forget about going through what was/wasn't canon and just start reading New 52 starting fresh.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

A general rule of thumb is anything in an ongoing title. Things that are close-ended series (with a set number of issues, 6, 8, etc), are usually non-canon special-stories.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I've read Birthright, also read Secret Origin, Secret Identity, etc, etc... I've read most of the pre-reboot stuff, just wanted to know what was canon in the pre-reboot version so I could compare/contrast it to the New 52 version, alas I think I may just forget about going through what was/wasn't canon and just start reading New 52 starting fresh.

There are some good stories you should read even if they aren't canon.

• All-Star Superman
    • For the man who has everything
    • Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow
    • Action Comics 775

Are the first that come to mind.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some good stories you should read even if they aren't canon.

• All-Star Superman
    • For the man who has everything
    • Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow
    • Action Comics 775

Are the first that come to mind.

Read AS Supes, Whatever happened and AC 775... I'm familiar of the "For the man who has everything" special from the animated series, I may pick the book up for my collection at some point, but I'm in no rush to read it.

As I said, I've read most of Supes pre-reboot, what I haven't read I'm familiar with, I just wanted to know what was canon and what wasn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.