Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

So is New52 Superman a failure?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By redwingx

How did this happen.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Moul

@redwingx: Nope, the entire New 52 is a failure

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@moul said:

@redwingx: Nope, the entire New 52 is a failure

Not everything but most.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for supermanfan1234
    supermanfan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not everything. Morrison's run was amazing and I loved Johns small run as well as Snyder's Superman Unchained,and I enjoy Batman Superman,and Superman Wonder Woman was great as well.They've just unfortunately been giving too many bad writers like Scott Lobdell the chance to controll stuff for too long on lots of comics.And people who don't understand him.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Define failure.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
    PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lately

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see it that way.

But besides writes like, Morrison, Lobdell and Pak. All other writers have done a poor job. Snyder and Johns have completely failed to deliver.

The best comics about Superman have been Action Comics, Superman (Lobdell run), Batman/Superman, and sometimes Superman-WonderWoman.

But all in all the New 52 has been filled with bad decisions.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

In what? Sales, characterization, stories, lore.

Anyway, he mostly suffers from the same problems late Pre-52 Superman does.

He still has the best origin though.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Truth is a Failure...

This saga should be as "Futures End" ... One possibility, but nothing to spoil the continuity.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vickbat: Can they end the "Truth" story arc, it gives me memories of the trauma of reading the Spider-Man "Clone Saga" from years ago.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vickbat: Can they end the "Truth" story arc, it gives me memories of the trauma of reading the Spider-Man "Clone Saga" from years ago.

In the new serie Superman:Lois Clark... In the 2o chapter(tomorrow the 1st begin) with Superman, Lois and his son pre-flashpoint, The Superman of The Truth appears again with powers in the titte page:

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/superman-lois-clark-2015/superman-lois-and-clark-2

It will be the same as with Deathstroke? Superman came out there before "Truth" as the saga was underway ...

This could be the result of Superman after recovering his powers? One Dark or Grey Superman? Is VERY COOL but Batman is dark TOO.. the return to the Brave and Bold colors in Batman? or Superman will return to blue before Wayne returns?

Superman returns but ... I liked when humanity respected him and this saga... The name Clark is better than that of Archie... To see if we are lucky and it was just a name to infiltrate in this place ..

Sorry but before New 52 of DC it was not a fan of comics, I know a little of the past of the comics... sorry about Spiderman But if it was something serious like this... Gwen dead in that saga?

Drmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but his editorial and writer are

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@drmagic said:

No but his editorial and writer are

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DieHard200904

@vickbat: Gwen Stacy was already dead in the Clone Saga. The clone saga was about bringing back the villain known as the Jackal and a clone of Spider-Man known as Ben Reilly, Marvel messed with your head for over a year telling you that Ben Reilly was the original Spider-Man and not Peter Parker until Norman Osborn, or the Green Goblin came back and killed Ben Reilly by skewering him. Plus, they made Peter Parker not be Spider-Man for over a year, but had Spider-Ben instead.

I just want them to return Superman of DCNU back to normal or find a way out of the trauma of having everything go wrong. Basically, Lois and Clark from pre-flashpoint are in the New 52 Universe with their son, and how that plays out is still a mystery, maybe they give the post-flashpoint Superman his powers back. Who knows, maybe Superman will be without any secret identity forever?

However, there are at least two more Superman/ Wonder Woman issues, so maybe something else happens.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

I like parts of him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nah, his writers have failed him.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Lobdell's run was trash. Johns and Snyder delivered solid stories nothing else.

Charles Soule did a fine run and Pak is mostly good. Tomasi has potential and Morrison did a superb run. The rest is trash.

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why are people bad talking about new 52? i enjoyed every comic i bought and decided to drop if my own taste was changing

if someone don't like superman stories ok but to say everything is bad? maybe people who talk everything bad should stop buying comics or maybe never bought one in the first place

i thought john romita jr's art was bad because i heard what other people talked about that and when i bought the arc i enjoyed it and couldn't believe what a mistake a would make... if you don't like the art then it's just not your taste but please don't talk bad and make the comic bad for people like me who is enjoying the new 52 superman

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zarius

@arkhamace said:

why are people bad talking about new 52? i enjoyed every comic i bought and decided to drop if my own taste was changing

if someone don't like superman stories ok but to say everything is bad? maybe people who talk everything bad should stop buying comics or maybe never bought one in the first place

i thought john romita jr's art was bad because i heard what other people talked about that and when i bought the arc i enjoyed it and couldn't believe what a mistake a would make... if you don't like the art then it's just not your taste but please don't talk bad and make the comic bad for people like me who is enjoying the new 52 superman

Why should people stop giving an honest critique of the work just so you can feel good about yourself? Everything is subjective, such is art. If you can't handle other people's opinions, you're best not posting on a comic forum.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Lobdell's run was trash. Johns and Snyder delivered solid stories nothing else.

Charles Soule did a fine run and Pak is mostly good. Tomasi has potential and Morrison did a superb run. The rest is trash.

Through Lobdell we got Helspont, H'El, the Psi-War, Krypton Returns. We even got Clark growing a pair and sticking to his beliefs, leaving the Daily Planet in the process.

Show me a writer that has done the same.

Snyder's Unchained, started well and turned to what was the word.... Oh, yeah! TRASH!

And Johns... Don't even get me started. Just two words... Super Flare.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Helspont was Jurgens, H'EL was a horrible villain that had so much potential. Krypton Returns was terrible. Psi War was a solid concept with piss poor execution. Yeah leaving to be a blogger in a runming plot that served absolutely no purpose and was quickly erased.

The first 8 issues were fantastic. The ending was rushed and poor but the story as a whole was great but ended badly.

It was a solid story and ended with probably the best issue of a New 52 Superman comic in issue #39. The Super Flare is piss poor because of other writers.

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @arkhamace said:

Why should people stop giving an honest critique of the work just so you can feel good about yourself? Everything is subjective, such is art. If you can't handle other people's opinions, you're best not posting on a comic forum.

because of the so called "critique" i nearly wouldn't bought the superman john romita comic and thought his art is bad but as i had the comic in hand i thought "man this art is really nice" so no not because i can feel good but to don't influence people who don't have an opinion, and you are a little bit rude. I have every superman issue at home from the new 52 and every one of him even the first jurgens? was really good and memorable. I can handle people opinons very good but all the talk about "this is bad, this is sh't, superman is too strong, superman's name archie is a joke" honestly writers and artist are doing a great and hard job to sadisfy all of us and we have no right honestly to talk so rude about their hard work. Really every hobby i have if i had said "thats bad thats sh't" that was because my taste was different so if i use bad language then i am trying to express myself so that others can understand but not to make someone's work bad. I don't say green lanterns is bad it's star wars copy, i am sure if i start reading aquaman there is something to enjoy. I can't really understand why many people don't like aquaman. He is very cool. I only buy superman comics because of the animated series so that marketing move was a success in my case. You can do better with your spare time with just write how bad a comic is. I read red hood and the outlaws and enjoyed it. I didn't like supergirl crucible story arc because it's about school and i don't like schools. Maybe that will change but i don't say "supergirl is bad don't buy that buy batman lol" hopefully you can dig my words up and don't be bad : D

Avatar image for deactivated-59953d77c6a44
    deactivated-59953d77c6a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was a failure..Pretty boring storylines

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

What do you mean by failure? Financially ..no.. And honestly it's the only parameter that matters to DC/WB. Before the reboot, Superman was selling around an average of 43000 units and Action Comics around 35000 units. Post reboot, Superman has been selling and average of 47000 units and AC around 43000. So it has not been a dazzling success, but I would hardly call it a failure. Superman is where he has always been for the past couple of decades.. Maybe a slight improvement in terms of sales. But still a far cry from his glory days.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 Superman is different from PC Superman, and I like a number of changes.

1)Tributes to Superman being a Golden Age Badass

2) Superman trying some alternate routes like not be at the Daily Planet, as bad or as good as the idea was, at least he tried.

3) Has a different girlfriend, which is a relief from the redundant Lois and Clark.

Doctor_Vader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest: I utterly dislike new52 Superman's personality. Give me All Star's Superman, For the Man who has Everything Superman or "What's só funny about truth, justice and the american way" Superman.

I have some hopes for this new upcoming series (Superman:American Alien) tho

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. A statement like that is hyperbolic and entirely unfair.

That said, Truth is certainly rapidly eroding my enthusiasm.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DieHard200904

@mrmxyzptlk: Yeah, plenty of PIS in that arc for sure, unless they have more explanation for why Clark has turned so whiny. Maybe wrath manipulation, but still, DC needs to bring back Mr. Mxyzptlk or something and lighten up :)

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmxyzptlk: Yeah, plenty of PIS in that arc for sure, unless they have more explanation for why Clark has turned so whiny. Maybe wrath manipulation, but still, DC needs to bring back Mr. Mxyzptlk or something and lighten up :)

No Caption Provided

I couldn't agree more. They've already teased him early back in action comics. Mxy could make for a very lighthearted and entertaining story.

That said, DC just needs to accelerate truth and get supes back into character.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By darkdetective27
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7d98090c8ef
    deactivated-5c7d98090c8ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon:

I remember picking up Superman #1, and honestly, I can't stand the way Lobdell wrote it. It's somehow too pseudo-poetic and too blunt at the same time. His narrator bubbles repulsed me.

I don't know if H'El and Psi War are any better, I have yet to pick them up.

But 'H'El' is a stupid name.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvoodoo:

Has I see it Lobdell main problem was trying to do too much in the little time he was gonna have. No way he was gonna be able to explore all the things he brought to the table.

Maybe he thought other writers would pick up from where he left. Who knows...

But still compared with I've seen in post arcs like Ulysses, Truth and now Injustice, unless the Savage Dawn arc really, really improves. It will, for me at least, more than half a year of bad Superman arcs.

And H'El is a great name in my opinion. Way worst is Bizarro, or HORDR_ROOT. And the name itself holds a secret meaning that not even H'El initially knows about.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Lobdell at the helm of the ship again. At least with him Truth would never have happened. He had so much stuff to explore.

Helspont connection to Superman. The hint that damonites were somehow connected to Krypton or at least that there had been some genetic mix.

Clark moving on from the Planet, doing is own thing.

There was a lot of room to explore this topics, but immediately has he left, the other teams started to basically trash all of his work.

But if they had done so to improve Superman comics, I wouldn't have a care in the world, but seeing they actually got worst, I can't in good consciousness criticize Lobdell when he clearly was the one that brought the best stuff to the table.

TVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TVoodoo

@heavenlydarkdragon:

Eh, that's fair, I'll give him that I guess.

I dunno, 'H'El' just seems too blunt for me. It's like calling him Kru-El, or Ev-Ul or something along those lines. At least, in my eyes.

I like 'Bizarro'. That might be due to its cementing in Superman lore, but I have nothing against the name.

And, honestly, I'd rather there be enough of Krypton for a while. For a planet that's been long dead for decades, it sure is pretty durn active.

Finally, I'm trying to let HORDR_ROOT grow on me. With limited success.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: The general concept of what happened with Superman losing his Secret Identity has been cool, because that could lead to him appreciating it more. However, I just didn't feel like the overall story had some plan or objective.

I mean, let's just set up an example here where you and I were say, collaborating on a story, I would figure that we would have a general outline and objectives to be reached by the story right? It felt that any objectives or general outline was sloppy or lost in Truth.

TVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suemorphplus209:

It's just that the whole 'Superman's new secret identity' deal has been done. Grant Morrison did it in Action Comics; in New 52, even! And now they're doing it again.

I miss Keith Giffen . . .

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvoodoo said:

@heavenlydarkdragon:

Eh, that's fair, I'll give him that I guess.

I dunno, 'H'El' just seems too blunt for me. It's like calling him Kru-El, or Ev-Ul or something along those lines. At least, in my eyes.

I like 'Bizarro'. That might be due to its cementing in Superman lore, but I have nothing against the name.

And, honestly, I'd rather there be enough of Krypton for a while. For a planet that's been long dead for decades, it sure is pretty durn active.

Finally, I'm trying to let HORDR_ROOT grow on me. With limited success.

Good luck with that. For me HORDR_ROOT will never grow on me.

Because when I read the name it sounds like Order_Root. You know, to bring order. When in fact all it does, is play with chaos.

Funny enough though is that I can't get enough from Krypton. Not the kryptonite growing on trees schtick DC always pulls, but the story behind that world. Krypton has for the last 5 or so years been presented as a world that holds many mysteries even lost ages of it's own civilization. But strangely enough no writer picks that up and does something good with it.

Okay now I'm gonna spoil some stuff for you. But at this point it's not that big of a deal. H'El was initially intended to be the new Bizarro, only instead of being called Bizarro, and being that comedian, upsidedown, reverse, character... He would be a real opponent, a real challenge for Superman. But DC immediately cut Lobdell's legs on that idea and so he had to make last minute changes and we all know how last minute changes usually go in any aspect of life.

H'El actually means House of El. The ship where H'El was created/born was part of young Jor-El plan to explore the effects of exposure to all forms of stars radiation to kryptonian physiology. And Jor-El named the ship House of El. But because of damage that it suffered from it's travels, this is what happened to the part of the ship that held its name House of El=H'El. See! The name has its purpose and reason to be.

Yes it reminds people of the word hell. And that was Lobdell catchphrase for the arc. H'EL On Earth

@heavenlydarkdragon: The general concept of what happened with Superman losing his Secret Identity has been cool, because that could lead to him appreciating it more. However, I just didn't feel like the overall story had some plan or objective.

I mean, let's just set up an example here where you and I were say, collaborating on a story, I would figure that we would have a general outline and objectives to be reached by the story right? It felt that any objectives or general outline was sloppy or lost in Truth.

Without a doubt. That was Truth biggest flaw. It seemed that if you and I had been the team responsible, we'd been not communicating with each other or simply in disagreement. And of course that transfered to the arc and the comics.

I'm hoping DC keeps the secret known for at least the main part of 2016. Just to see how Kal would handle both Superman and Clark place in the new status quo. Even with his powers fixed, that would be something to look forward to. At least for me it would.

A whole lot better than to see everyone forget Clark secret, him returning to the Daily Planet like nothing happened. Going about his business like nothing happened. That to me would be like the anti-climax of all time.

I'd want to see him juggle multiple Clarks. Like he leaves Metropolis, starts operating globally and for each country he would have a different Clark identity. Or if not for country at least for each continent.

A global and galactically active operating Superman would open doors that being just Metropolis champion can't. Writers would then have the freedom to actually explore this awesome character to his full potential. And not only that it would be a great chance to reintroduce some characters like Maxima, and bring new ones to the table. A scenario where Superman biggest problems would not come from kryptonite wielding opponents, but opponents that were, slightly lower/on the same/even higher, level of power compared to his.

Real challenges for the Man Of Tomorrow. And not just the same old one's over and over again.

I already suspect that this so called connection of Vandal Savage to Krypton, that's been implied to be explored in the Savage Dawn arc, might be something along the lines of, when Krypton exploded, some of its pieces fell into a wormhole and traveled through space and time. The kryptonite radiation plus the radiation of the wormhole somehow altered some of the pieces of kryptonite, and as fate would have it, the meteor that fell to Earth and gave Vandal Savage his immortality was actually a piece of Krypton.

TVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TVoodoo

@heavenlydarkdragon:

I'm aware that H'El was originally meant to be the New 52 Bizarro. It's just that I think Bizarro works best as a tragic, backwards version of Superman. Not necessarily a goofy version that talks backwards (though that has its own merits), but perhaps just a subtly darker, more corrupt and misguided version of Superman (like when Superman turned evil in Superman III). And yeah, I understand the H'El-Hell pun; I just think it's a little too on-the-nose. (Incidentally, thanks to DC's weird management, there now exist THREE canon Bizarros: H'El, the failed B-0 clone, and a Bizarro-Superman from Bizarroworld. Nice one, DC.)

I'm all for delving into KRYPTON'S MYSTERIES, WOOOO. However, I want to steer clear of any more Krypton baggage like they had during the Silver Age. Armies of Kryptonian villains, Kryptonian technology, Kryptonian animals, Kryptonian were-beasts (no, really, there was a Kryptonian werewolf that made a scientist woman into a Kryptonian were-unicorn-centaur and Batman into a Kryptonian were-bat. It was nuts). Superman, while not a human, I feel is an Earthman. He wasn't born here, but he has lived here since he was a baby. Unless they can implement Krypton in interesting ways (like the Phantom Zone, Brainiac having the Bottle City of Kandor, that 'New Krypton' arc a while back, etc), I feel that they should leave Krypton alone for a while.

Also, I think your idea for Superman living in every major continent is a great one; it'd really give a sense of how GLOBAL someone like Superman is, and probably give him a variety of possible storylines for writers to choose from.

And I'd like to see Maxima back. That'd be cool.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

The Lawsuits with the Siegel and Shuster heirs has left DC comics a hollow shell. DC overcame the law and justice to retain the rights to the Superman character.The New 52 Failure is well deserved Karma. Jim Lee ruined the entire universe with his costume designs and is in way over his head at DC. The Company I always remember having a stranglehold on the Industry is gone forever. Superboy and the Red panties/Spit curl meant something..

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

OOCMikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 Superman is different from PC Superman, and I like a number of changes.

1)Tributes to Superman being a Golden Age Badass

2) Superman trying some alternate routes like not be at the Daily Planet, as bad or as good as the idea was, at least he tried.

3) Has a different girlfriend, which is a relief from the redundant Lois and Clark.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.