Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Smallville Superman = SA Superman?

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I always thought Christopher Reeve was basically the Silver Age Superman but Dr. Fate tells Clark that he will move into the Silver Age.

Now he was very weak for the series until the finale where he moved a planet.

Now I know Apokolips looked small but when it went past saturn it was the same size, still, it was a solid planet that was dense so that's a massive strength feat he pulled out of nowhere, if it did retain it's original density, Apokolips should have weighed hundreds more than Earth.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I agree that it was most definitely a planet level feat, I hate when people disregard it as less then a moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that it was most definitely a planet level feat, I hate when people disregard it as less then a moon

I've never seen anyone consider it a moon, a few years ago Smallville Superman was regarded as weak but now every time he is in a battle, it's always cited he moved a planet, one feat can change it all...

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@allstarsuperman said:

I've never seen anyone consider it a moon, a few years ago Smallville Superman was regarded as weak but now every time he is in a battle, it's always cited he moved a planet, one feat can change it all...

but theres always the people who clame its not even city sized which is annoying

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

He's about to become much more powerful in the newest arc to be released in April... He'll be given a Green Lantern ring on top of all of the powers he already has, so much for Supes being weak in the Smallville incarnation of him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicdude23 said:

@allstarsuperman said:

but theres always the people who clame its not even city sized which is annoying

I've only seen people use that when people claim it was Saturn sized, still most people acknowledge him at planetary level and he stomps alot of the battle threads. Simple physics shows it was credible because it was a solid planet with high-density and enough force to move saturn's rings.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That planet much bigger than Jupiter or as big as Jupiter,superman not only move it,he throw it without effort

So,that was SA superman level,Pre-52 superman cant do that,New 52 superman could be bench earth five days?well,throw a planet through far WAY WAY WAY from earth is much greater than bench earth

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SanoHibiki

Don’t get wrong, I think that Superman should be capable of moving planets.

But that scene – let’s say I’m not convinced. I don’t know what size Apocalypse was, Jupiter or Earth-like.

But if a planet of Earth’s size entered Earth’s orbit (I don’t even talking about entering out atmosphere), destructions on surface would have been colossal. There – gravity pull was strong enough to nearly crash one plane, other than that – nothing. I know this is TV-series; budget is issue, but come on…

I think that Apocalypse didn’t materialized completely, wasn’t solid on 100% and so this feat not so impressive.

But I’m not against been proven wrong ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki said:

Don’t get wrong, I think that Superman should be capable of moving planets.

But that scene – let’s say I’m not convinced. I don’t know what size Apocalypse was, Jupiter or Earth-like.

But if a planet of Earth’s size entered Earth’s orbit (I don’t even talking about entering out atmosphere), destructions on surface would have been colossal. There – gravity pull was strong enough to nearly crash one plane, other than that – nothing. I know this is TV-series; budget is issue, but come on…

I think that Apocalypse didn’t materialized completely, wasn’t solid on 100% and so this feat not so impressive.

But I’m not against been proven wrong ;)

When it passed Saturn it was the same size, but not when it came to Earth. I wouldn't try to apply too much physics to it, because none of it made sense and Apokolips wasn't supposed to destroy The Earth completely it was brainwashing the people on Earth thought it's magnetic force using the omega symbols,

The mass of Apokolips should have never changed, clearly Smallville Supes became more powerful at the finale than anyone else in the show.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: He pushed it like it was a football, so hard that The Sun's orbital gravity doesn't slow it down, it's STILL moving, that's insane strength. Planets also have density and Apokolips was a planet where people (could) live.

It also KEPT changing angles, in one scene it looks small, when it's near Earth's surface it's massive, when it passes Saturn it's the same size, so that was a bit dodgy.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicdude23:

Apokolips wasn't supposed to destroy The Earth completely it was brainwashing the people on Earth thought it's magnetic force using the omega symbols

That’s plot contradiction on itself. Apocalypse is a solid planet, parademons, slaves and New Gods live there. There wasn’t any need to bring it so close to Earth without intending to destroy our planet. Since Darkseid’s main goal was global brainwashing – again, I don’t see any reason to collide Apocalypse and Earth.

Maybe it was some metaphysical event: Apocalypse replacing Earth’s place in space and humanity suddenly forced to live on that hellish planet. Still, that means that that was some projection of Apocalypse, not read thing. Frankly, I would have prefer if Smallville creators gave me more or less serious Clark vs Darkseid fight, not this badly done “moving planet”-thing.

clearly Smallville Supes became more powerful at the finale than anyone else in the show.

With that part I wouldn’t argue; question is – how powerful he is in reality, because I don’t remember him moving planets in Smallville 11 Season.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PowerWoman

It's bigger than it

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And Superman not move it,he was THROW it without trying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki:

That’s plot contradiction on itself. Apocalypse is a solid planet, parademons, slaves and New Gods live there. There wasn’t any need to bring it so close to Earth without intending to destroy our planet. Since Darkseid’s main goal was global brainwashing – again, I don’t see any reason to collide Apocalypse and Earth.

Maybe it was some metaphysical event: Apocalypse replacing Earth’s place in space and humanity suddenly forced to live on that hellish planet. Still, that means that that was some projection of Apocalypse, not read thing. Frankly, I would have prefer if Smallville creators gave me more or less serious Clark vs Darkseid fight, not this badly done “moving planet”-thing.

It doesn't really matter, Clark unlocked his true power and became more powerful than all other kryptonians in that universe, from that point on he unlocked his real strength, far more powerful than previously. Darkseid probably had some plan.

He literally tossed the planet, and it was still moving when you see it on screen, that's insane.

With that part I wouldn’t argue; question is – how powerful he is in reality, because I don’t remember him moving planets in Smallville 11 Season.

That was his true power, when he became Superman he surprassed everyone else. FAR more powerful than previously and to be fair in season 11 he hasn't had the chance to showcase such power.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SanoHibiki

@comicdude23:

I see Smallville’s Darkseid as further confirmation of my “Apocalypse wasn’t really real” theory. If its supreme ruler was ghost-like and should have used host bodies, what that says about planet itself?..

Clark became more powerful than all other kryptonians in that universe

I kinda iffy on that. Yes, Clark is most known Kryptonian, yes, he is one of greatest Earth’s heroes, but physically he is ordinary Kryptonian. Why he should be more powerful than others of his kind?

I would be glad if Clark would do something on “moving plane”-scope in comics: that would confirm this “pushed Apocalypse from Earth”; but for now we are going in circles.

ssj3gohan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicdude23:

I see Smallville’s Darkseid as further confirmation of my “Apocalypse wasn’t really real” theory. If its supreme ruler was ghost-like and should have used host bodies, what that says about planet itself?..

I kinda iffy on that. Yes, Clark is most known Kryptonian, yes, he is one of greatest Earth’s heroes, but physically he is ordinary Kryptonian. Why he should be more powerful that others of his kind?

I would be glad if Clark would do something on “moving plane”-scope in comics: that would confirm this “pushed Apocalypse from Earth”; but for now we are going in circles.

It was real, Superman did become that powerful. Also keep in mind that Clark was only in his early twenties when he did this. While most Superman incarnations are in their thirties or forties, some much older. That's how scary his potential is. He could become just as powerful as Pre-Crisis/Silver Age superman ever was. Yes Clark is more powerful then any kryptonian. At Season 9, Clark was stronger than a whole army of Kryptonians. He had over 2 decades to collect solar energy that is why he is so much stronger than most other kryptonians. There are no Kryptonians who collected even 1/5 as much Solar Energy as Clark did. He has greater mastery and control of his powers then any Kryptonian. He has access to the knowledge of the 28 known galaxies, the universe's greatest library at his disposal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicdude23:

I kinda iffy on that. Yes, Clark is most known Kryptonian, yes, he is one of greatest Earth’s heroes, but physically he is ordinary Kryptonian. Why he should be more powerful that others of his kind?

Doesn't really matter, the planet could have had people on it. Superman is more powerful because he's Superman, that's it. And he absorbed more Yellow Sunlight on Earth.

Because he became Superman and realized his own power. That was it, the finale confirmed it. He TOSSED a planet, that is insane, he hasn't replicated it because he hasn't had the chance to, but it was a legitimate feat which can be quantified, that was his strength. @ssj3gohan007 nailed it.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PowerWoman

The true Silver age superman it's not absorbed yellow sunlight then become super-powerful,he just need under the sun,then get full power in moment

And golden age superman even not need sun,he power from gravity

Superman absorbed yellow sunlight is from Bronze age,but still contradictory

The first superman need absorbed yellow sunlight concept is from Post-crisis

ssj3gohan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ssj3gohan007

Most Kryptonians in smallville do get powers instantly when under the yellow sun but more sunlight exposure = increased abilities. The longer you absorb the rays the more your powers increase. It simply means that there are no upper limits for superman. He can continue to get stronger and stronger over time.

By the time he is 30, Superman will be able to do feats that even put his planet throwing feat to shame.

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By L3g3ndaryPheonix

apokolips shrunk when it got closer to earth its not a planet level feat becuase it got smaller for some reason

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/smallville-season-10-apokolips.jpg

still impressive but not a planet level feat

ssj3gohan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

apokolips shrunk when it got closer to earth its not a planet level feat becuase it got smaller for some reason

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/smallville-season-10-apokolips.jpg

It is a planet level feat, look:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Superman is now connected to the Speed Force!

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SanoHibiki

@ssj3gohan007:

He had over 2 decades to collect solar energy that is why he is so much stronger than most other kryptonians. There are no Kryptonians who collected even 1/5 as much Solar Energy as Clark did.

That’s debatable. In the beginning of 5-th season Zod’s followers were able to hold their own against Clark rather easily, despite being under yellow sun less than a day against his 16-17 years on Earth.

He has greater mastery and control of his powers then any Kryptonian.

Again, debatable. He struggled with mastering every single ability, while other Kryptonians seemingly could control them since very first moment on Earth. Clark, through, mastered his Kryptonian’s senses better than others, that I’ll give you.

At Season 9, Clark was stronger than a whole army of Kryptonians.

Alright, that already something. Last 4 seasons of Smallville were such god-awful that I barely watched them… So, when Clark managed to beat the whole army of Kryptonians?

@comicdude23:

Because he became Superman and realized his own power. That was it, the finale confirmed it. He TOSSED a planet, that is insane, he hasn't replicated it because he hasn't had the chance to, but it was a legitimate feat which can be quantified, that was his strength.

I don’t see anything legitimate about it. Apocalypse changing it size while journeying through space, lack of destructions on Earth when it entered out atmosphere – all that gives me serious doubts about was this Apocalypse fully materialized or not, was that real dense planet or some metaphysical hollow construct. It impressive feat, no doubt, but was that legitimate “real-planet-moving”- level feat? In 11 Season – nothing on this scale (through I would be glad if there was some confirmation of such Super’s strength). For all I know it could be “show finale”- induced PIS. And statements about Clark “realizing his destiny and becoming much more powerful because of it” (yes, he finally learned how to fly, thank Rao, it surely took quite some time, but that’s it) are just that – statements without evidence which we could use exactly in this instance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki:

I don’t see anything legitimate about it. Apocalypse changing it size while journeying through space, lack of destructions on Earth when it entered out atmosphere – all that gives me serious doubts about was this Apocalypse fully materialized or not, was that real dense planet or some metaphysical hollow construct. It impressive feat, no doubt, but was that legitimate “real-planet-moving”- level feat? In 11 Season – nothing on this scale (through I would be glad if there was some confirmation of such Super’s strength). For all I know it could be “show finale”- induced PIS. And statements about Clark “realizing his destiny and becoming much more powerful because of it” (yes, he finally learned how to fly, thank Rao, it surely took quite some time, but that’s it) are just that – statements without evidence which we could use exactly in this instance.

It was legitimate, it was not PIS. The whole point was that he unlocked his power and became the SA Superman, if you think he was going to stay at pre-finale levels then you are just wrong. Apokolips angles was dodgy but tossing ANY planet is insane, I could point out many inconsistencies, but moving a planet was insane.

Using physics in the sense to say it wasn't solidified is a bit silly, if we went by REAL physics Earth would have been destroyed, similar instances in comics where the physics doesn't match up. Also, Clark beat Darkseid before Darkseid could solidify his power on Earth. It wasn't hollow either, Superman was able to physically fly into it.

He hasn't had any chance to show off his strength in the manner that Season 10 showed, that was his biggest threat. The planet feat BACKED UP the whole destiny thing. Essentially, he became SA like, look at the resemblance he bears to the Classic Superman:

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now let's see it against Earth:

No Caption Provided

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PowerWoman

Superman not move it,he throw it with easily

Here we go

L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By L3g3ndaryPheonix

@powerwoman:

it wasn't a planet lvl feat it shrunk the closer it got to earth which we clearly see in the scene

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By L3g3ndaryPheonix

@powerwoman: no it's not it shrunk the closer it got to earth that much is painfully obvious

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.