Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Smallville Season 11 Discussion

• 157 results
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

it's as simple as the title says...Every week I'm continually impressed with just how great Smallville Season 11 is and I repeatedly state it in other threads but I feel like I need to get this out there even more....Smallville Season 11 is easily the best Superman book on the "shelves" these days...this book is the way that Superman should be written all the time and it's not just a great Superman book...it's a great JLA book...heavily featuring Batman, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, and currently Bart Allen as Impulse...so far we've seen White Martians, the Black Racer, Jay Garrick, and a ton of other characters that simply couldn't have been done on the Smallville tv show...if you're like me and you're a big Superman fan who has been kind of upset with the way the New 52 Superman titles have been then you owe yourself the service of checking out the book...the nice thing is that if you want your weekly fix then you can check out the weekly digital releases or if you're not as impatient as I am then you can check out the monthly collected editions...either way you're in store for a great book

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By darkman61288

I completely agree. I just can't wait till a Wonder woman appearance.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@darkman61288 said:

I completely agree. I just can't wait till a Wonder woman appearance.

THIS^ n also that wld be fantastic!! this series is really great!!

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By z3ro180

I'm not really interested in smallville anymore mainly due to last season being an utter disappointment to me

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skewer

I wouldn't say its the best and I really don't care for smallville since the show was an utter disappointment to me. The title I enjoy the most right now is superman beyond.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By danhimself

@Z3RO180: you should check it out....image Smallville with good writing and good special effects

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By z3ro180

@danhimself:i think i might but not right away right now ive got way too much on my pull list .

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mpierce2690

It's definitely a lot better than I was expecting when it was announced.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toptom

i just don't like the art in smallville

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

@danhimself: I have to disagree with you. Though it's true the comic can do a lot more with the story than Smallville ever could, it's just not written as well as what Morrison has in Action Comics. There's a dash of the GA attitude with a lot more emotion in Superman's character as well as Morrison's usual flair of story telling. That IMO is the best Superman title. Of course there's a chance Snyder and Lee can surpass it but for now, despite its critics, I feel Action Comics is the best Superman title.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By coolguyr99

I think Superman has been the best title since Lobdell joined. Action Comics feels disjointed to me at the moment.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By ColaNicole

I like Superman the most. Action comics leaves me scratching my head. I didn't bother reading smallville, the show was just badly acted and all over the place.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ssejllenrad

Hated the TV series with a passion. But yes, Smallville "season 11" is awesome.

But I still won't say it's the "best" title as of now. Superman and Action Comics still are better IMO. I mean c'mon. The current arcs are such page turners! H'El and Superdoom!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself

@ssejllenrad said:

Hated the TV series with a passion. But yes, Smallville "season 11" is awesome.

But I still won't say it's the "best" title as of now. Superman and Action Comics still are better IMO. I mean c'mon. The current arcs are such page turners! H'El and Superdoom!

I've been reading Action Comics but I just can't seem to like it as much as everyone else...to me it seems...I don't know what word I'm looking for here...mixed up? I guess that will work

I have enjoyed Lobdell's run on Superman more than any of the writers before him but it wasn't that big of a hurdle anyway

for me the Superman in Season 11 feels more like PreFlashpoint Superman and that's probably one of the reasons why I like it so much

the New 52 Superman no matter who is writing him just doesn't feel right to me

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkman61288

@danhimself: I feel that way about almost everycharacter.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaeternus

I agree, imo Smallville Season 11 and Injustice GAU are as good as anything else DC has out right now.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By AllStarSuperman

smallville is sweet i dont like how they changed are every 4 issues though.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By danhimself

now they've introduced Miss Martian.... I don't see how this book could possibly get any better

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    I'm waiting for the trade
    Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By consolemaster001

It should have continued as a show

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself

@consolemaster001 said:

It should have continued as a show

they could never do what they're doing in the book on the show....so far they've introduced Hank Henshaw, Batman and Nightwing, Jay Garrick, Black Flash, Ms. Martian, and now what appears to be either just a Monitor or the Anti-Monitor....there's no way the show could have pulled all of this off

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By darkman61288

How do think they would do Wonder Woman on the Show? They wont date each other because Clark is engaged to Lois. What would the story be? Who would be her romantic interest? Would it be Batman or someone else?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

Would I be able to jump right into it?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I don't think so I'd recommend getting the trade which just came out @gambit1024

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so I'd recommend getting the trade which just came out @gambit1024

agreed....I'm pretty sure that they're getting ready for the "season finale" and that includes things that have been being hinted at since the beginning of the series....I'd say that you should either get the trade or get the printed issues

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Press Oblivion

I bought the first issue but never read it . I'll have to check it out.

Ironhawk22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 158

User Lists: 9

Totally agree. Month after month it impresses me. It's the only Superman book I'm currently reading. I like Morrison but Action didn't do much for me, and well I think I've expressed my feelings on Lobdell's writing before. Easily one of my favorite books.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By danhimself

Totally agree. Month after month it impresses me. It's the only Superman book I'm currently reading. I like Morrison but Action didn't do much for me, and well I think I've expressed my feelings on Lobdell's writing before. Easily one of my favorite books.

I honestly think that I look forward to it each week more than any other book that I'm reading

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

from Wondercon:

Onto Smallville. “When we left Kara in the TV series, she went into the future to get out of Clark’s way,” Miller says. “A Booster Gold mishap lands Clark and Booster in the 31st century,” where they’ll encounter the Legion of Super-Heroes, Supergirl and tell a version of the “World of New Krypton” story. Miller makes it clear that Supergirl will be wearing pants, “Because she flies around.”

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hate to agree with this, simply because its not the main Superman title, but I have to admit that the writing and direction of Smallville is much better than what is being put out in Action Comics and Superman to me. I would put Superman Beyond as a very close second. the only thing i wish Superman Beyond had done was use Conner instead of Clark. Clark could still be alive and kicking just as he is in the series now, but i would have been interested in seeing the Beyond team use an adult, pre-52 Conner as the Man of Steel and have Clark be a supporting character. we saw an adult Conner multiple times as an evil Superman, it would have been nice to see what could have been done with him as Superman's true successor as we saw in the single issue of Superman/Batman (of course, in that issue Damian was Batman so that future is gone now i guess). then the arcs could have moved between the two.

i realize that's not the popular opinion but as a Superman reader of 26 years the writing and storylines of AC and Superman up to this point have been hugely disappointing. i've been a fan of Morrison in the past, but his Action Comics run was far too much Morrison trying to be clever with the character's history than providing a good story. i think he got too full of himself following a great run with Batman prior to Final Crisis because he did such a good job using Batman's history. unfortunately, lightning doesn't always strike twice on an idea and to me that's the case with what he did on Action Comics. it tried to be ultra-old school and ultra-historical knowledge and failed.

as for the Superman series, i give it sympathy because for some reason DC couldn't give Superman that same level of respect as Batman and decided to change his history far more dramatically. so the writers have been trying to establish the new Superman and unfortunately its left the book feeling a bit underwhelming than it really should be. H'El could have been an awesome villain and story arc but was an immense let-down in execution. also think the idea of the bio-tech suit (which i'll actually okay with aside from wanting the belt to go back to yellow and not look so much like a Batman utility belt) has caused the book to go too far into the science fiction direction. Superman should represent the science fiction aspect of the Trinity, but what we are getting is to much Syfy channel saturday movie science fiction and not Orson Scott Card science fiction.

Smallville, despite continuing from a disappointing tv ending and being a bit slow in the first few issues, has really come on strong and its nice to see a "new" Superman that is actually progressing nicely through the series. when you compare the "new" Superman of Superman to the "new" Superman of Smallville its a little sad that the side series is doing a better job of giving readers a "new" Superman than the main series is. also like the Smallville suit more, overall, than the bio-tech suit because it melds the concept of old and new far better (and much better than reusing the Superman Returns suit like the final episode of the tv series did) than the clunky, unnecessarily lined and shield pattern emblazed version.

it will be interesting to see how Smallville handles the Monitors and its version of Crisis. still wish though that the series would find a way to retcon season 10 and give Darkseid and Apokolips the justice it deserves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I might get the trades if they're released but for now, I'll leave it (pull list budget is overstretched as it is).

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltbrd: dude you did a much better job explaining why it's better than I did lol

I agree with everything you said

I'm really excited to see what happens with the Monitors and the Crisis...I'm also wondering if this is their "season finale" and if the book will become Season 12

I imagine that Darkseid will be back at some point if the book lasts long enough....I'd like to see their version of Wonder Woman, Conner come back, they hinted at him meeting another Flash at some point with Impulse saying that he hadn't met his helpers yet, also want their version of the Justice League to reform...maybe for Bart's "funeral"

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Do you recommed that i watch the series then the comics ?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@consolemaster001: it's a long series and not all of it is really important....I'd go for the episodes with members of their Justice League in them like Impulse, Cyborg, Aquaman, and Green Arrow...then the Legion of Superheroes episodes and the last season...there's also a few episodes that have Earth 2 in them which may be a bit important....anything else you can probably get from wikis...heck you could probably learn all you need from wikis

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The great thing about Season 11 is that they don't have an actor budget or a special effects budget. The battles can look as unrealistic as they want now like Impulse and Superman vs. Black Flash.

SPM1M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i read all the superman titles and smallville is by far the best, they stay really faithful to the show and its mythos

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they just introduced Wonder Woman....this book just keeps getting better and better

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Was it a good issue. I'll get anything with Wonder Woman.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: yes definitely was...the digital issues are kind of short so there wasn't much there other than her introduction but I think this is going to be a very good arc

TJSH96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did they have to continue it as a comic-book? I really wish they would've continued it as the T.V series. That's would've been a dream-come true for me.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to get into more superman books, I got superman unchained and batman/superman thing is I don't have enough cash to get the trade, but I can manage a few back issues, where can I start.

P.S I love Smallville

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By danhimself

@tjsh96: as a comic book they have no budget so you don't have to worry about horrible effects and costumes like Doomsday anymore....they can tell whatever story they want in a comic book

@thefirstlantern I would recommend starting as early as possible...if you can start with issue 1 then definitely start there...but if you want issue 54 just started a new arc

TJSH96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TJSH96

Some of the fight-scenes in Smallville were really good, and even though the budget of the show was small, in my opinion Smallville is the best thing ever created by mankind. I love Smallville and I really wish they continue the T.V show some how.

shieldzeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started rewatching Smallville just so I can read this. I never really got into the show back in the day (saw most of season 1 and hated the freak of the week thing). Little over halfway through season 1 and all the kryptonite is getting old. I remember the Chris Reeve eps being good, so I am looking forward to that.

I checked out one of the trades for Smallville not to long ago and the art was not the greatest.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Lvenger

@danhimself: I've just finished reading the trade of Guardian and I can see why you like it. Millar is free to tell much more extravagant stories without a budget to limit his imagination and the quality of story telling and characterisation is great. Plus Pere Perez' redesign of the Superman suit might just be my favourite interpretation of the costume.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: yeah the costume is probably the best redesign they've done for the briefless look...well maybe besides his Earth 2 suit

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shieldzeal: you don't really need to watch the show to read the book....it would help since it sometimes does reference the show but I think you'd be ok without it....the tenth season would be the most important...or any of the episodes with other Justice League characters like there was a few with Bart Allen, Cyborg, and Aquaman...then the Legion episodes as well

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freaking love the costume redesign!!

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#50  Edited By Endanger

The Superman and Batman fight in Smallville was how it should be.

That was some ownage.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.