Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Should Linda Danvers appear in the DCYou?

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

An iteration of Linda Danvers would be interesting, especially considering that DC Screwed her as a character and sent her to hell. Would it be cool if she was a character who came around in the New DC Universe? Dated Superman? Maybe became a superhero at some point? Thoughts?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

She worked for her time.

Her character worked because of the path David gave her. But other than that, you can't take the same path twice and her character has no place as Supergirl now.

And you would have to change her a lot to fit her as a supporting character that is actually relevant. So I say let her fade and be remembered only when someone picks up David's fantastic run.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

As long as there is a multiverse there is room for ANY version of Linda Danvers,or any past character.

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Squalleon

@stephens2177: I just was thinking of a non powered version of her. Sort of how Hank Henshaw is no longer Cyborg Superman

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@Squalleon

@stephens2177: I just was thinking of a non powered version of her. Sort of how Hank Henshaw is no longer Cyborg Superman

My comment above then answers that.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starting her off as non powered Linda Danvers would be a great start for the character.the matrix start was also nice but I'm sure DC would want her to be as uncomplicated as possible.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DieHard200904

IDK, but I kind of don't like already how some characters just aren't what they were. Zor-El is a pretty weak Cyborg Superman compared to badass Henshaw, who is just a character now. But Linda Danvers as some different kind of character than just a Supergirl would be interesting, I don't mind the whole idea of Clark and Diana, but I don't like how they made their relationship kick in so early on and wanted Clark to be that single guy longer before he hooked up with Wonder Woman. I don't see DC doing a version of Linda, except maybe as a cover identity for Kara Zor-El, because, they pretty much have done a fine job of screwing up other female characters to make Superman hook up with Diana.

Just my two cents.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think superheroes who find trouble through their secret identities and not always through being a superhero would be great to see again,and if kara went by Linda Danvers,she could work,and have a life with friends and a apt,and trouble could follow Linda not so much kara

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suemorphplus209:

She can come back, only not has Supergirl. That would make no sense.

I'm guessing you know her origin story in the modern age. How she started out by being a being made of protoplasma, that had some of Lana Lang dna, and how she eventually fused together with Linda Danvers and heaven and hell broke loose.

I never did liked how she was removed, but what's done is done. Now she could still be Linda Danvers but DC would have to give her a new origin and new alter ego. If I were to write Linda Danvers for the DCYou I would take advantage of some of her origin material.

This is how I'd do it.

I'd create a kind of religious sect that saw Superman as the world true savior. And in that sect would be Linda. I'd explain that she had have problems with her family, left home without a word, but she was caught in a natural disaster where she came to evaluate her life and prepared to die. But Superman shows up and saves her.

After that she started following up on everything Superman did and stood up for. She returns home, makes peace with her parents and starts to get her life back together. That's until she hears word of a kind of religious movement that focus on Superman and the examples he gives to mankind. So she initially joins up so she can have others to whom she can share her ideas and views about Superman.

Eventually she would start to hear rumors about people that were higher up on that church hierarchy started to gone missing. Although the leader of the church said that they had gone to other corners of the country and even the world to spread their beliefs. Which being the daughter of a police detective she doesn't totally buys into it, but she also has no proof to say otherwise.

Eventually superpowered men and women would start showing up, causing caos and destruction but they would all die while doing their little destruction or whatever. She recognizes one has being a member of said church and starts to dig around.

Eventually she'd find out that the leader of the church had once been a scientist working for Lexcorp that supposedly died on a lab accident. She would eventually come to find that he has a secret lab where he was conducting illegal experiments on his most devoted followers. That this leader became obsessed with Superman while working for Luthor and it was there that he got hold of a new form of kryptonite he was developing for Luthor, one that was mostly red but also green. Luthor has hiered him with the idea of using Superman homeworld native element that kryptonians used to power their technology and somehow create an isotope stable enough to be used by humans and human tech. But later on he finds out that Luthor only wanted to use his work to kill Superman, so he caused the lab accident, faked his death and took his work with him. A single piece of red/green kryptonite.

And he was trying to give humans the same powers has a kryptonian. By using the radiation of his synthetic kryptonite mixed with some kind of chemical compound. After brainwashing his most devoted followers he would inject them with the chemical promissing them they would become closer to Superman and help him create a new golden krypton on Earth. But all his experiments failed, it did gave them powers, but they'd start to lose their minds and in time their bodies would simply die from genetic breakdown.

Linda then tries to warn her father about what's happening, but her father suggests caution and that she gives him enough time to act. She of course doesn't wait. She thinks that Superman would not allow such evil to remain unchecked and she goes out to confront this psychotic man. She finds him at his lab and then she confronts him, not knowing he wss expecting her because he had hidden cameras on his lab and as such he knew that she would eventually come back. A fight breaks out and during the fight his kryptonite reactor becomes active and starts to overload, during the fight she manages to defeat the mad man while suffering some light injuries. And while he's unconscious she then releases all the trapped people, and instead of running away with them she then tries to disable the machine powered by the hybrid kryptonite. And the she's hit full force with the radiation from the machine.

At the same time people called the police, her father finds her badly burned by the radiation and she's rushed to the hospital, where later on the doctors tell her parents that whatever she was exposed to was killing off her cells and that she would die in two days top. When her parents go to talk to her while she's conscious she tella them she knows that she's dying but that she's fine with, it because she did what Superman would've done.

Moments later she looks and sees Superman on the entry of her room. At first her parents demand that he leaves, because it was all his fault. Linda asks them to stop and asks why Superman was there. To which Superman says that he heard what happened and that he recognized her when he saved her a year back, and that he was sorry for not being able to help her. That kryptonite poisoning to that degree was something even he couldn't fix. And Superman asks for her forgiveness, to which Linda only asks that Superman touches her hand one last time. And so he does. But at that when they touch a golden light emits from both Superman and Linda body. The events shocks Superman but puts Linda in a coma.

Days pass and instead of the inevitable death, Linda does a complete recovery. All her body heals and people start calling it a miracle, and to Linda it is clear that it was Superman that saved. Sometime after she leaves the hospital she tries to resume her normal life but finds herself that she can do superhuman things. At first they're just random, but then she discovers that she possesses strength, speed and resistence, beyond human levels. At first she believes that somehow Superman passed some of his powers to her, but then she starts to manifest completely different powers from that of Superman. Not that she knows that at first.

She sets out to find Superman, and so she uses the simpliest way. She goes where no one is around and shouts for Superman. Only to find Superman right above her floating and he could say something like "There's no need to shout Miss Danvers" and she could say something like "It worked! Didn't think it would." to which he says "Well... normally it wouldn't, but I got my eye on you ever since the event in the hospital" and she says "Yes. Thank you! You saved me. Didn't knew you could heal people." "I can't. Not like that anyway. And while I'd like to say I did it on purpose, truth is, I had no control over what happened. Somehow the kryptonite radiation that was filling your body, when I touched you, it tried to pass on to me but my body fought back. The golden light you saw, was my own body energy pushing back at the radiation on your body. And somehow by what my enhanced senses show me, your human cells, have adquired some kryptonian traits. And although there's some similarities, truth be told it's mostly different." "Then what am I? A kryptonian? Human?" "Human for the most part. But there's some kryptonian in you, only it changed to something that although similar it's not the same"

He then take her to his fortress and helps Linda figure out how exactly has she changed. She finds out she can read and control minds (telepathy), that she can move objects with her mind, manipulate matter and even change some aspects of her own body, like hair, eyes and skin color, she can also make herself slighly taller and with more body mass (a highly develop form of telekinesis), that she can create and control fire, water, ice and energy (pyro/hydro/cryo/electrokinesis), and even predict certain events with a very limited future range, just a few minutes into the future (a form of clairvoyance). But she has none of the other kryptonian powers, like hightened senses and heat vision. Only a near but still lower level of a kryptonian physical prowess, like strength, speed and invulnerability.

This would be how I'd make a Linda Danvers comeback, to the Super-family and also we'd see Supes giving her, her own bio-armor, that she can configurate to look has she wants to, if she ever decides to put her powers to work for the greater cause.

Has for a name. Superwoman I believe it should be left reserved to Kara aka Supergirl. So I'd call her Flamebird. A name Superman could suggest after Krypton's mythological goddess of destruction.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904:

Yeah... :\

Kinda went overboard with it.

Sometimes I forget that most people don't care about pitching ideas, only what happens and not happens.

I was going to erase the comment but now... I'll leave it here for posterity.

And if someone wants to use and claim the story as their own. Be my guest.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the matrix proto plasm origin,but I would like to see more human or semi human characters becoming super,I think it makes a character able to play with the whole "trying to have a normal life,but being a hero gets in the way" kinda story ideas.

I always liked linda/matrix powersets whichever they were at the time,so I'm good with any powerset they gave her,even though I loved her psi blast,cause they alays seemed to help,even the playing field against much more powerful foes.

There is many different ways for her to get powers,heck they could even make her a sacrifice made by a over the top superman worshipper or group,they way you have a Lil the peter David type feel to it.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177:

Matrix powerset was as follows: Body entirely of protoplasma allowed her to shift to any shape, male, female, even non humanoid. She could increase her body mass. She had superhuman strength, speed, and resistence. Psychokinetic powers like telekinetic blasts of energy and telekinetic manipulation of matter, her own or outside matter, like fabrics. She could make herself completely invisible. And that's that.

Matrix/Linda Danvers powerset was as follows: Same level of physical achievements, psychokinesis, limited shapeshifting... She could only do simple things like change hair color and shape, and eye color, never saw her change anyother aspect of her female body. And she could no longer turn herself invisible. Later on when her earthborn angel powers awoken, she got flame vision, and flame wings that only damaged people that were evil but still had some traces of humanity, if they had completely lost their souls then her flame wings could not harm them. Also her flame wings could be use for her to teleport to anyplace she had already been in the past.

When the Matrix part was passed on to Twilight, Twilight the new earthborn angel of fire restored has much of the powers Linda Danvers had while she was combined with Matrix. So her powerset was has follows: Slightly lower level of physical atributes, psychokinesis, lost all shapeshifting abilities, and while her battle with Xenon she revealed a new power, she was able to conjure up a lightning powerful enough to destroy a being that had killed countless Supergirls from different universes.

And this is it.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well thanks,I knew all that,but it's good for those who didn't know.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool that this topic mentioned her, I thought I was quite the old timer for remembering who she was.

sunofdarkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By sunofdarkchild

The way I'd bring her back is to say that her series is largely canon and have it take place during the 5 year gap. That way her relationship with Superman is already established since reestablishing it would be difficult at this point. And Superman is in desperate need of someone in the 'Superman family' that is really a close friend for him. Make it that something draws her out of retirement, either in a 'Superman Eternal' story or whenever they relaunchthe Supergirl comic. PAD's 'Blonde Justice' was a good idea, and Supergirl is clearly in need of a shakeup that making it a dual-protagonist book could supply..

And I'd definitely call her 'Superwoman.' After 80 issues of being Supergirl she earned the name, and Kara is never going to graduate to Superwoman for copyright reasons.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Little news flash. Upcoming Superman arc of "Super League" has Superman looking for new Superheroes to support him. Maybe a new Linda Danvers will appear in this arc?

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By suemorphplus209

@diehard200904: I hope so, that arc would be a good way to bring in Linda, I have also wondered if Lana Lang becomes a new Ms. Steel, plus I want to see Superboy and Supergirl again.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could really rebuild the Superman family during this arc if they do it right.

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: Indeed, I am pretty sure that they will bring in Kara Supergirl at least. I like Linda, but if not, I understand. But I am still hoping.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jogga

Just make her Flamebird, boom.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: only if she gets merged with the kryptonian Flamebird somehow,that would give her that earth born angel feel,but more connected to the SUPERverse.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: Indeed, I am pretty sure that they will bring in Kara Supergirl at least. I like Linda, but if not, I understand. But I am still hoping.

Then let's be hopeful. I miss Supergirl, I miss Linda, I miss a lot of things, I just hope that DC pulled the act together and we get back to more of these other characters we know and love.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stephens2177

Super League could be awesome,it could bring back every single hero that has ever teamed with superman in the past and actually keeps them around and In a logical way that works

suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry folks, but it looks like It's just the regular Superman family coming back for Superleague. Maybe somewhere down the road, but hats off to an interesting character.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.