Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Rebirth and the Supermen

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, from what I understand everyone in the New 52 universe are their Post-Crisis "counterpart", but they've lost 10 years of their lives along with their memories. This "Mr. Oz" that we see in the last issue of Superman gave us an ominous message regarding our Men of Steel, saying they aren't what they seem. What do you guys think is going on?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

I don't want to theorize heavily yet because I feel there are many twists and turns to come.

But I can't help but thing N52 Superman is either Kon-El or Kal-L. Both can make plenty of sense. Especially Kal-L.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@squalleon: N52 Superman being Superboy? Intriguing

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZariusII

In today's Superman: Rebirth, It's revealed there is no regeneration matrix and Clark accepts N52 Supes is'nt coming back.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, just read Rebirth. Extremely well written and hugely respectful of New 52 Superman. It was also my farewell of the character in the comic book venue, as this basically confirmed what most of us had already suspected.

I think I'm over being bitter or salty, as I felt they really honored New 52 Supes, but I have neither the desire nor the intention of reading about Pre 52 Supes in his stead. So unless they find that "certain artifact", guess I'm off to stick with Invincible and maybe a bit of Marvel to suffice

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZariusII

@reactor said:

Well, just read Rebirth. Extremely well written and hugely respectful of New 52 Superman. It was also my farewell of the character in the comic book venue, as this basically confirmed what most of us had already suspected.

I think I'm over being bitter or salty, as I felt they really honored New 52 Supes, but I have neither the desire nor the intention of reading about Pre 52 Supes in his stead. So unless they find that "certain artifact", guess I'm off to stick with Invincible and maybe a bit of Marvel to suffice

You have no desire to read about Superdad, but you'll continue to read Invincible, which has commenced a storyline involving the lead taking care of his now grown kid

Yeah, that's logical.

Stay bitter, we'll see you next week, the real Superman is back.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: I'm... really not sure why you responded to me, but okay, I'll bite.

I don't have problems with Pre-52 Supes being a dad. Like, at all. I'm just not interested in reading more about him in particular, especially at the expense of New-52 Superman, who I largely liked (barring Truth). It's nothing to cast blame about, it's just my own tastes. You don't have to agree with me, just like what you like and I'll do the same; everyone's happy.

Speaking of logic, however, your comparison made no sense. You had mistakenly assumed that I didn't want to read about the new "Superdad", so reasoned I therefore couldn't be interested in reading about superhero fathers/families in general? If so, that seriously is illogical.

Not bitter (was in the past, but life goes on), I'll still be around (as I still like Superman in general), and I'm happy you have the Superman you wanted. At the end of the day, there is technically only one real Superman, and he's been out of print for over half a century. You like yours, I like mine. No need to attempt to be a douchebag to me or anyone else

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You people are so petty... and tiny ha

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth:

No. Not really.

If anything they're all fake. Pre-Flashpoint Supes isn't the real pre-Flashpoint version, but a copy. And New52... After re-reading the last comic I couldn't but think something is way off.

So New52 Superman absorbs the energy his doppelganger released when he explodes. And some minutes afterwards his body burns from the inside out.

But here's the thing. The energy he released wasn't nearly enough accounting his own and the one he absorbed. So now I'm left wondering if it's gonna be revealed much later on, that just like with Manhattan, his energy was dispersed together with his consciousness. And just like Manhattan he's gonna take his time to gather himself up.

After all if Manhattan has achieved this beyond divine power then only someone similar to him will be able to stop it.

One thing is sure. He isn't coming back from the ashes.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth:

Your thread text, remember...

"So, from what I understand everyone in the New 52 universe are their Post-Crisis "counterpart", but they've lost 10 years of their lives along with their memories."

Me saying "No. Not really." was me saying that is isn't what you said. They are not time displaced and mind wiped characters. The New52 characters are characters that were born in the New52 and the old pre-Flashpoint characters... Well. They might not be the pre-Flashpoint characters also.

Remember cloaked guy that appeared to Clark saying he and his family weren't what they thought they were, and New52 Superman also wasn't who he thought he was. It's my opinion that what he's actually saying is tjat the cities and events on Convergence were all about copied versions of the original. So pre-Flashpoint Clark and Lois aren't really the pre-Flashpoint versions but something that maybe Manhattan created. Copies so to say.

And the New52 Superman, now there's where the mystery gets even more confusing. Because I remember that same cloaked character during the Ulysses arc referring to New52 Superman with care and interest. Almost fatherly. So maybe Manhattan isn't the only one messing with time. Maybe there's other players each making their own moves.

And it might very well be that New52 Superman was a creation of cloaked guy while the one that believes to be the pre-Flashpoint version is Manhattan creation.

Time will tell.

2099man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no problem with the new 52 Supes possibly being gone forever. As far as I'm concerned, the prospect of the Superman we all know and love, who promoted optimism over pessimism and joy over bitterness, being the definitive Superman in the main continuity, is a breath of fresh air. The consensus over at DC these last few years seems to have been "Since The Nolan Trilogy sold big time, everything else we make must be made in it's image. Love and marriage makes characters boring and artificially aged, happiness alienates those who want to see the ''real world'' in comics, etc." Now, with the old Superman back and his son destined to become to next Superboy it really feels like positive changes are being made for the future.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZariusII

@heavenlydarkdragon said:

@mercinwithamouth:

Your thread text, remember...

"So, from what I understand everyone in the New 52 universe are their Post-Crisis "counterpart", but they've lost 10 years of their lives along with their memories."

Me saying "No. Not really." was me saying that is isn't what you said. They are not time displaced and mind wiped characters. The New52 characters are characters that were born in the New52 and the old pre-Flashpoint characters... Well. They might not be the pre-Flashpoint characters also.

Remember cloaked guy that appeared to Clark saying he and his family weren't what they thought they were, and New52 Superman also wasn't who he thought he was. It's my opinion that what he's actually saying is tjat the cities and events on Convergence were all about copied versions of the original. So pre-Flashpoint Clark and Lois aren't really the pre-Flashpoint versions but something that maybe Manhattan created. Copies so to say.

And the New52 Superman, now there's where the mystery gets even more confusing. Because I remember that same cloaked character during the Ulysses arc referring to New52 Superman with care and interest. Almost fatherly. So maybe Manhattan isn't the only one messing with time. Maybe there's other players each making their own moves.

And it might very well be that New52 Superman was a creation of cloaked guy while the one that believes to be the pre-Flashpoint version is Manhattan creation.

Time will tell.

Your denial and delusion is so laughably strong it's thoroughly entertaining.

Looking forward to time proving you wrong. As always.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Uh, dude, why are you acting like such a douchebag?

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor: You just gotta let that guy be man.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Did you get into your sister's brownies again?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.