Qustion about Superman's costume

#1 Posted by TheCannon (20266 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I have a quick question. Everyone knows Superman's skin is bullet proof. You could stand there all day shooting him and he's just brush them off. But my question is: Why doesn't anything effect his costume? Anytime someone shots him, whether it's comes, movies, video games, live action TV, or animation, the costume isn't effected by bullets. How is this possible? If his skin is bullet proof, why would he need an indestructible costume?

#2 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: The old explanation was that his body created a protective field around his clothes, which kept them from ripping.

As for why he has armor: It helps to heal him, it takes up less space than his old one, it looks cooler, it connects him to his heritage, and it protects him from threats that are worse than bullets--like Darkseid and Doomsday.

#3 Posted by TheCannon (20266 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: That is a weird, yet satisfying explanation. Thanks.

#4 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: You're welcome :-)

#5 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3976 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup, can't do much better than @OutlawRenegade: 's response. I'm glad they made the new armor. I always really hated the biofield explanation.

#6 Posted by jobbernos (1522 posts) - - Show Bio

what outlawrenegade said.

#7 Posted by Eternal19 (2178 posts) - - Show Bio

DC later came up with the idea that Ma kent made superman's costume out of Bulletproof Kryptonian clothing

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#8 Posted by AllStarSuperman (36382 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19 said:

DC later came up with the idea that Ma kent made superman's costume out of Bulletproof Kryptonian clothing

which is cool but how does he get new costumes everytime his special kryptonian clothes break

#9 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is Superman knows how to manufacture kryptonian materials and kryptonian technology.

#10 Posted by Seadyan (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this is an old post. I was looking for some information on topic my friend and i were talking about at work. That Superman was not actually Bullet proof. He actually has telekinesis powers that blocked everything just before hitting him. Which he was not aware of it so it worked like Spidey Sense. Which would make since, since his cloths never got torn. And in cartoon movies he becomes aware of this but I been trying to see if this power he got in the comics.

#11 Posted by stephens2177 (1362 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like kon-els,he has tactile telekinesis,it does the same thing,minus the Spidey sense type of instinct.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
#12 Posted by HeavenlyDarkDragon (2117 posts) - - Show Bio

@seadyan:

There are currently two theories about that:

1. Because of the charge yellow sunlight gives kryptonian physiology, and thus activates their powers and enhances all physical abilities to godlike levels, that Superman natural bio-electric aura is also way beyond anything on Earth, and that it is that aura, that stretches only a few millimeters off the skin, when any fabric lies within that aura it gains a portion of Superman invulnerability. Much like a force field.

2. Superman ability to make his suits also near indestructible came from a psionic ability, more precisely tactile telekinesis, just like that of Kon aka Superboy, only without Superman having nearly as much control over it.

Although in the New52 that wasn't as clear. The suit was made from a near indestructible kryptonian material. In fact initially they said that the suit was actually indestructible, but during one of Lobdell stories he faced against a being from another dimension and his suit got almost totally trashed but Superman himself only suffered some bruises. The good thing about that suit was that it seemed to be able to channel Superman bio-energy and repair itself. And that was what made it durable. His normal clothes/suit in the beginning of the New52 during Morrison run did appear to show some of the hypothesis 1 and 2 characteristics, because they took bullets and much more and still they seemed to suffer little if any damage at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.