Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Post-Crisis Superman V New 52 Superman

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I started reading Superman with Byrne's "Man of Steel" miniseries and kept up periodically until Flashpoint, but only read New 52 Superman in Superman/Wonder Woman. I want to collect his last days and Rebirth but my lcs keeps selling out.

Beyond their romantic relationships, what are the differences between Post-Crisis Superman and New 52 Superman in powers and personality?

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ZariusII

Pre-Flashpoint has a more humane element to him, having been guided steadily throughout infancy, adolescence, and adulthood by Ma and Pa Kent , and grounded by his interactions with his supporting cast at the Planet and his relationship with Lois.

N52 Superman is a bit more distanced due to not having his parents guide him through those formative years, he has moments where his humanity comes through, but is steadily more hot-headed and brash, prone to cutting off his friends even if they have their best interests for him, and choosing to associate more with a godess on the rebound because he lacked the confidence to try with Lois.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When written correctly, the differences were minimal. DCnU Supes was quicker on the trigger, likely because his parents died before he turned 18 so he lacked the guiding hand of them to aid in him being calmer and more relaxed, but other than that, they're essentially the same character, just one that was portrayed to be 7-10 years younger.

The major problem is that for the majority of the DCnU, Superman hasn't been written consistently, so he comes off as distant and brasher than intended. Between staff changes and his status quo change, no one ever allowed anything to stick, so writers couldn't find the right voice that a younger, more energized Superman so he came off as Zarius described far too often. But when written right, you could see how DCnU Supes would become Pre-Flashpoint Supes.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

Pre-Flashpoint has a more humane element to him, having been guided steadily throughout infancy, adolescence, and adulthood by Ma and Pa Kent , and grounded by his interactions with his supporting cast at the Planet and his relationship with Lois.

N52 Superman is a bit more distanced due to not having his parents guide him through those formative years, he has moments where his humanity comes through, but is steadily more hot-headed and brash, prone to cutting off his friends even if they have their best interests for him, and choosing to associate more with a godess on the rebound because he lacked the confidence to try with Lois.

^^^^

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beyond the solar flare and experience is there any difference in their powers? Do they have the same weaknesses?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@zariusii said:

I think that was only a thing during his younger years, when written well (mostly Under Pak's hand), he tended to just act like a normal farmboy. Only getting mad under acceptable circumstances..... but then Truth came along and all writers just wanted to write edgy loner Superman. Even Pak started to flounder after a great start on AC Truth. As for the SM/WW romance, that was one of the many screw ups they did when it came to New 52 Superman (trust me, it's a huge list of things they chose to do that led to the true death of the Man of Steel). Not because I don't like the romance, but because Johns put no effort into getting them together because he intended to break them up. I stand by the fact that the SM/WW relationship brings more to the table and could be written as more meaningful than the CLois pairing. I think aside from Tradition and the lame "she's his anchor" BS, it's got nothing on SM/WW.

Harun_Kurnaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Harun_Kurnaz

To me new52 Superman was more realistic. Of course for comic book character you can write him from one perspective. He can always be cool, hopefull or etc. But he was more like us. Think about yourself even two days in a row doesn't fit your character sometimes. Some people saying he is just a jerk but again to me he was just listening his hearth. If it's feel fine to him he acted like that way. And this is understandable to me. Second thing about new52 supes after Morrison run he loose some stuff until Pak. For superman run it was more awful because DC never stood with a one good writer (look at Batman run) and this is really effect his character. Every writer changes some stuff add some stuff. Finally all of them lead to TRUTH (!) A SUPERMAN with holes in his character. But you could really enjoy in Power Couple - Morrison and Pak run - Superman Unchained - Final Days

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

I think that was only a thing during his younger years, when written well (mostly Under Pak's hand), he tended to just act like a normal farmboy. Only getting mad under acceptable circumstances..... but then Truth came along and all writers just wanted to write edgy loner Superman. Even Pak started to flounder after a great start on AC Truth. As for the SM/WW romance, that was one of the many screw ups they did when it came to New 52 Superman (trust me, it's a huge list of things they chose to do that led to the true death of the Man of Steel). Not because I don't like the romance, but because Johns put no effort into getting them together because he intended to break them up. I stand by the fact that the SM/WW relationship brings more to the table and could be written as more meaningful than the CLois pairing. I think aside from Tradition and the lame "she's his anchor" BS, it's got nothing on SM/WW.

What saint said

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a nutshell:

Post-Crisis Superman, as you know, is interesting, likeable and inspiring. He could project charisma and power just by standing there, arms akimbo.

N52 Guy, however, was annoying and boring. He was like an Elseworlds experiment: "What if Superman grew up to be socially stunted?"

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Beyond the solar flare and experience is there any difference in their powers? Do they have the same weaknesses?

No major differences in powers and yes, they have the same weaknesses.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@drocta said:

In a nutshell:

Post-Crisis Superman, as you know, is interesting, likeable and inspiring. He could project charisma and power just by standing there, arms akimbo.

N52 Guy, however, was annoying and boring. He was like an Elseworlds experiment: "What if Superman grew up to be socially stunted?"

Explains why his biggest fans are Millennials.

No Caption Provided

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

No major differences in powers and yes, they have the same weaknesses.

Thank you so much! I had looked it up, but wikipedia wasn't helping.

Avatar image for beholdthesuperman
    BeholdTheSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are many ways to come at this, but here's are some differences I noticed. I've read quite a good chunk of both versions of Superman, and the Rebirth comics just recently. Others have filled in a lot of it, so I'll try not to repeat it too much.

Superman of the New 52 had a suit of semi-bonded quasi-cybernetic Kryptonian technology that basically acted as armor, hazard suit and (in some fashion) certain capacities to channel/redirect and husband Superman's superhuman and biological energies. It seems it may have been of a more generic type, though what its original exact purpose was isn't revealed to my knowledge.

Superman of "New Earth" and "Rebirth" has a spandexy-suit that is more or less made of super-cloth. It's probably about as indestructible as the SuperPower armor of N52, but doesn't seem to have as many technological elements to it.

Both of them are outrageously, physics-defyingly strong, fast, and durable. Inconsistencies are about as common with both, especially with the recent events effects on their powers. Both of them have some kind of superhuman intelligence, though the New Earth/"old" Superman is a bit more practiced in exploiting his ability to understand basically anything he takes the time to investigate.

I really liked the techno/armor aspect of N52 Superman; the story is slightly insane but all these continuity twisters are. I like both characters, and can deal with having a "new old" Superman, as long as they don't change him out in 5 years again.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are many ways to come at this, but here's are some differences I noticed. I've read quite a good chunk of both versions of Superman, and the Rebirth comics just recently. Others have filled in a lot of it, so I'll try not to repeat it too much.

Superman of the New 52 had a suit of semi-bonded quasi-cybernetic Kryptonian technology that basically acted as armor, hazard suit and (in some fashion) certain capacities to channel/redirect and husband Superman's superhuman and biological energies. It seems it may have been of a more generic type, though what its original exact purpose was isn't revealed to my knowledge.

Superman of "New Earth" and "Rebirth" has a spandexy-suit that is more or less made of super-cloth. It's probably about as indestructible as the SuperPower armor of N52, but doesn't seem to have as many technological elements to it.

Both of them are outrageously, physics-defyingly strong, fast, and durable. Inconsistencies are about as common with both, especially with the recent events effects on their powers. Both of them have some kind of superhuman intelligence, though the New Earth/"old" Superman is a bit more practiced in exploiting his ability to understand basically anything he takes the time to investigate.

I really liked the techno/armor aspect of N52 Superman; the story is slightly insane but all these continuity twisters are. I like both characters, and can deal with having a "new old" Superman, as long as they don't change him out in 5 years again.

Yeah I liked how the New 52 suit exploded out from the sheild. I never bought that Clark Kent worked at the Daily Planet all day wearing his Superman suit under his clothes. First that would be terribly uncomfortable, second how would he hide the cape, or keep his coworkers from noticing him wearing a blue long-sleeved undershirt everyday, even in August and what would he do with the boots? As much as it was maligned for being unnecessary, the New 52 armor made a lot of sense.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beholdthesuperman said:

Yeah I liked how the New 52 suit exploded out from the sheild. I never bought that Clark Kent worked at the Daily Planet all day wearing his Superman suit under his clothes. First that would be terribly uncomfortable, second how would he hide the cape, or keep his coworkers from noticing him wearing a blue long-sleeved undershirt everyday, even in August and what would he do with the boots? As much as it was maligned for being unnecessary, the New 52 armor made a lot of sense.

To be fair, Clark never wore the armor for protection, which is the only reason people questioned it. He wore it to honor his heritage.

And, it made more sense for what it wasn't damaged as opposed to the pre-Flashpoint explanation of him projecting a solar aura of protection that extended to his costume.

@drocta said:

In a nutshell:

N52 Superman, fun, heroic, and honorable. He was brash, naive, cocky, and always ready to back up his friends play, even if he didn't 100% agree.

Sorry, but your bias towards Superdad was showing.

Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ScouterV
    Avatar image for beholdthesuperman
    BeholdTheSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with all of that except the discomfort thing. Superman can take a nap covered with scorpions in a nuclear furnace. The sorts of things that make us uncomfortable (sweating, abrasion, constriction) are basically non-existent for him in any circumstance that exists in the ordinary world.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

I agree with all of that except the discomfort thing. Superman can take a nap covered with scorpions in a nuclear furnace. The sorts of things that make us uncomfortable (sweating, abrasion, constriction) are basically non-existent for him in any circumstance that exists in the ordinary world.

True! The Man flies in Space and literally basks in the sun ...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.