Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New Readers Recommendations.

• 126 results
    STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By STELIOS23

@squalleon: If you could think of any other stories in the same vein that u recommend, not from this list that is(already have most of 'em), that'll be appreciated I'm always looking to add to the catalogue.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@squalleon: If you could think of any other stories in the same vein that u recommend, not from this list that is(already have most of 'em), that'll be appreciated I'm always looking to add to the catalogue.

Check my other list: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/some-more-superman-tales-i-recommend-1755918/#11

If you have read those tell me to recommend something else.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Thanks man I'll definitely be checking out some of those.

Avatar image for runoutofideasreboot
    runoutofideasreboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think superman brainiac should be included in

Further Reading

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think superman brainiac should be included in

Further Reading

Since its a quick,praised,easy to get into read, that explains the origins and motives of a staple villain of the mythos. I put it in Must Read.

This is a new readers thread at heart. So the priority is easy to get into stories that are fan favorites.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list. I'll use this for reference since I'm still a bit of a Superman newb.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list. I'll use this for reference since I'm still a bit of a Superman newb.

Thank you! Glad it helps.

OldOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I'm a big fan of John Byrne due to his work on X-Men, Hellboy, and Fantastic Four. Would his run be a good place to get into Superman?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldone said:

@squalleon: I'm a big fan of John Byrne due to his work on X-Men, Hellboy, and Fantastic Four. Would his run be a good place to get into Superman?

Ιt is a very dividing run. Personally I don't like it. But yes you could start with it. Byrne took many directions that I feel did the character disservice.

If I had to guide you with an absolutely short and enjoyable chronological list I would give you this:

• Birthright (origin)
    • Superman:Up Up and Away
    • Superman and the Legion of Super-heroes
    • Superman: Camelot Falls
    • Superman:Brainiac

These five stories can give you the quintessence of Superman and his cast imo.

OldOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@squalleon@lvenger is Panic in the Sky any good?

No idea really. I checked it once, I wasn't impressed, it looked and read very dated. But I am really not sure since its been too long :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@farkam said:

No idea really. I checked it once, I wasn't impressed, it looked and read very dated. But I am really not sure since its been too long :P

kk

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@farkam said:

I don't know, haven't read that Superman story myself unfortunately.

Avatar image for beholdthesuperman
    BeholdTheSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's genre. He's been pretty well molded into a dying-rising solar deity, complete with 'i'm not god, well i didn't used to be but now i guess im the king of the gods' and actual in-universe cults.

@fadetoblackbolt: LOL

• Notice the trend that Superman stories are mostly only good when they involve his origin or twilight

It's sad....isn't it.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/squalleon/lists/superman-recommending-reading/40335 this is a list of superman stories that i made to help new superman readers what do you think.....it's still developing by the way :-)

Deadpo0l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WhEre should I start

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpo0l said:

WhEre should I start

A good starting point is Superman #1, that came out last month, by Peter Tomasi & Patrick Gleason or Action Comics #957 by Dan Jurgens & Patrick Zircher.

easywolf32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone wanting to jump on board Superman should get the new Rebirth Volume 1 'Song of Superman'. A cracking start point, although the whole New 52 Superman is dead thing is going to confuse the hell out of you. Actually, that's a real problem that I took for granted because I'm in the know.

kingaz123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By kingaz123

Hi everyone. I am a newbie - new reader of superman comic book. But something I don't understand:

I know superman story is reboot and then they created new superman: New 52 Superman, but why I read "Superman: Rebirth #1" Superman New 52 is dead ???? I also know New 52 just died recently, but not in his first vol "Superman: Rebirth #1" . The "Superman: Rebirth #1" is not the first volume of new iconic superman (I mean"Iconic Superman" is Superman replace for new 52 after his death), because the new iconic Superman will come to us at April 2017 not in the past !!!!

In "Superman: Rebirth #1" I haven't seen any scene about the destruction of Krypton, new 52 Supes infant in spaceship arrive on Earrth. Only his dead!!! What the heck going on????

Anybody understand me?

JoeTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingaz123: Superman Rebirth continues where the mini series "Superman: Lois and Clark" left off. It might be good to read that before starting on rebirth.

New 52 Superman dies in "The final days of Superman".

JoeTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else think that Man of Steel should be a part of this list?

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Drocta
    @joetwoface said:

Anyone else think that Man of Steel should be a part of this list?

Definitely, especially if you're going to be picking up stuff like the Death and Return saga (Eradicator and Cyborg Superman don't make as much sense without sterile Krypton and the birthing matrix). I still think it's the best Post-COIE origin. Especially better than the hipster meta wank that is Grant Morrison's New 52 arc.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

@squalleon Thank you for this. As someone who's a big fan of the way Superman is portrayed in the DCEU, can you recommend any similar portrayals or stories in the comics? Death of Superman is on my to-read list, just waiting for it to return to the library. Any other suggestions?

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Quinlan58

@flashknight: So, an idealistic Superman in a cynical setting?

- Superman: Exile (http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Superman:_Exile) is an story arc where Superman copes with having murdered Zod and the Phantom Zone criminals on the previous arc.

- Red Son is an elseworld story where he landed on the USSR isnstrad of Kansas. Probably the best dictator Superman story out there, because he genuinely does try to do good. One of the best Lex Luthor stories.

- Hitman #34: Of Thee I Sing, where Superman has a heart to heart talk with the titular hitman, unaware of his proffession.

- Lex Luthor: Man of Steel - Probably the best Lex Luthor story. You see everything from Lex's point of view, understand why he would wan to fight Superman, see him deconstruct Superman's public persona and its effects on the world.

- For Tomorrow: Not exactly a good story, but more of a mediocre story with a LOT of good-to-great moments, and an interesting concept.

-Alan Moore's Superman stories, because he in just 4 issues he explores Superman's fears and anxieties better than almost any other writer.

- Kurt Busiek's Superman run. The main story arc was "Camelot Falls", where a magician warns Superman that his actions will end up having terrible consequences later on, and he fights another alien who came to Earth as a baby but wasn't lucky enough to look like a human and be raised by a kindly couple.

- Secret Identity, the ultimate "Superman as a regular dude with powers" story.

- The biggest DCEU fan on this board was also a big fan of Grant Morrison's and Greg Pak's runs.

- Also, the follow-ups to Death of Superman were better than that story.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#126  Edited By GhostRider88

If its New 52 you want, I'd say go with New 52's Action Comics.

But i'd also recommend some 80's-90's stuff as well:

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow - (TPB) - (1986) - (Superman #423, Action Comics #583, DC Comics Presents #85, Superman Annual #11)

Superman: The Man of Steel - Vol.1 - (6-issue series) - (1986) - John Byrne

Superman Vol.2 - #1-22. (1987) - John Byrne

Superman: Godfall - (TPB) - (Action Comics #812-813, Superman Vol.2 202-203, Adventures of Superman 625-626)

Superman: For Tomorrow - (Superman Vol.2 - #204-215)

Superman: Sacrifice - (TPB) - (Action Comics #829, Superman Vol.2 218-220, Adventures of Superman 442-443 & Wonder Woman 219-220)

Superman: Up, Up, and Away - (TPB) - (Action Comics #837-840, Superman Vol.1 - #650-653)

Superman: Last Son - (Action Comics #844-846, 851)

Superman: Brainiac - (Action Comics Annual 11, Action Comics #866-870)

Comic_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dope list. I've read several but I still have quite a few of these to go.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinlan58: Lex Luthor is my favorite villain, every time he appears he doesn't even need to build something for you to know he's the smartest guy in the room. Unlike certain other so called geniuses.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.