Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New Costume and New Powers On The Way for Superman

• 94 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

SUPERMAN #38

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Art and wraparound cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON

THE FLASH 75 Variant cover by KEVIN NOWLAN

1:50 Variant cover by LEE MODER

1:100 Variant cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR. and KLAUS JANSON

On sale JANUARY 28 • 40 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $5.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with five covers. Please see the order form for more information.

An extra-sized special issue of the world’s greatest hero brings in the New Year with a new costume, new powers and new friends and enemies! The epic team of Geoff Johns, John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson conclude their first arc with twist after twist that will send Superman onto a new path and force Clark Kent to making a shocking decision! Plus: John Romita Jr. draws Batman!

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Source: Newsarama

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the record, Geoff Johns did tease that they were doing 3 things with Superman towards the end of their first story arc. 1 change is supposed to be completely new and the first time this has ever happened to Superman. The other 2 have been done before but will be done in a different way. Superman's had a new costume and new powers before so neither of these things are new. They are however big news.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Superman Blue 2: Electric Boogalo?

Ha.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SmashBrawler

Dat Multiversity solicit tho.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this was coming.I have to wait if the little hints I have seen in comics if it is one of the powers I am thinking about.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: To be honest I am more excited about the seeming reinvention of Ultra-Humanite, Superman's oldest foe into a paranormal thea in AC.

Me too. Actually i am also a bit worried about Superman # 38,but i'll try to leave my mind open.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

K

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome news! fingers crossed for no more black S!

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By termiteone4ever

Interesting

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman in another Geoff Jonhs book NOO!!!. I think that a new costume could really work but I think that they should matain it for many years to make it more iconic.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coulourist me intrigued

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: I'd prefer How Kal got his Groove Back.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SaintWildcard

Maybe now he'll have boxers instead of briefs on the outside

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really glad I started reading reading Superman with Geoff Johns' run.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this new costume doesn't change much, I like it the way it is now. On that note, I can't understand why they're pulling another S: R/B

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hope it's not the pants coming back, but I trust GJ. Should be fun.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Great news. The metallic Armour suit and the high neck is awful. It need to be replace. Hopefully the new costume looks much better. On the power side, I predict it has connection with Ulysses

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By SOG7dc

@lvenger:

Eh. I don't care about new powers. I'd rather see better displays of current powers. I like the current costume as well. At least the way Kuder draws it. I'm enjoying what Johns is doing this far so I'll check it out.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

where would be a good start on Superman in the new 52 ?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cloakx14 said:

Be sure to check out Superman Unchained if you haven't already.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SaintWildcard

@cloakx14 said:

Be sure to check out Superman Unchained if you haven't already.

Agreed,if you want a Superman that doesn't act like neither New or Pre 52 Superman and has a cliche ending with a boring villain, Unchained is the book for you..... comment will be deleted.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I agree on better displays of his current powers but what do you want to see done with Superman's in a better, more consistent way? As for the costume, there are still complaints about the neck collar and for me personally, those triangular things on his wrists seem off. If the new costume did away with those, I'd have more reason to love it.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh a new power why a new power*sigh* new suit peek my interest always thought superhero should change there costume from time to time

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: other then each time superman has a new power it fell like an a$$pull cause the writer couldn't come up with a more interesting way for superman to beat the bad guy um there a high chance we will nvr seethat power again and i like the power set he already has i think it fine no need for new power

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: I do agree to an extent as the powerset Superman has is perfectly fine, well balanced and more than enough to defeat most of the foes he faces on a regular basis. I hope the new power at least makes sense, maybe one of the ones Wraith displayed in Superman Unchained at least. I'm more interested in the new costume and whether it'll be better than the current one.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I'd like to see some good, solid reaction speed displays. Displays of home actively avoiding attacks with his speed. I'd like to see him be smarter. I know it's a comic but if I had those powers I'd be ending fights in seconds. Maybe just one show of Superman style dominance? Lol

The costume isn't a huge issue for me. Aside from Allstar it's my first superman costume I was exposed to consistently excluding the animated series'. That said, I don't have a problem with a change as long as it looks good and is a little softer and brighter.

I'm sort of torn on Superman's costume. One side of me likes the one that's made by Ma Kent with the cape a Kryptonian blanket as that's a very sweet, very "Kent" way of doing it. The other side likes the idea that the Kent's gave him everything that lies inside the suit while the actual suit is a gift from his biological parents. I remember in reading New 52 Supergirl that those suits are like rites of passage for Kryptonian youths. I really like that idea of his parents putting what would become Kal's suit in his escape pod with him as a gift to their son.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it weird that I'm not bothered by this? I mean, it just doesn't phase me at this point.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: It sounds like you want more of the kinds of feats that Snyder executed in Superman Unchained then. Feats like that where he creates a water spout, freezes it and saves a collapsing skyscraper then speed blitzes a robot would make for some cool as hell feats. The problem for writers I guess is that there wouldn't be much of a story if Superman just speed blitzed his foes into submission in seconds, which is an often cited problem of writing for a character like Superman by writers. He is lacking on the reaction feat front currently though.

I agree, I'd like to see a softer and brighter costume too. The design does look decent but it needs a simpler style and a lighter colour palette. And to that end, there's a significant lack of connection with The Kents, which is something I haven't been fond of. A few flashbacks here and there but for the most part, DC seem to be actively avoiding including The Kents at all. Maybe something to do with the legal dispute with the Siegel/Shuster estates?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Forgot to ask yesterday.

Do you think that those changes would be lasting and would expand in other Superman’s books? For some time I stopped following comics news, but I didn’t hear anything about upcoming major changes to Supes in 2015.

P.S. I don’t really care about changes to costume as long it stays in Post-Flashpoint style – be it current mainstream costume, Smallville variant or even adapted Ultraman’s outfit.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: I don't know whether it'll transfer over to Pak's Action Comics but I think there's a strong chance Johns might show off the costume in his Justice League series. It wouldn't make much sense if Superman's wearing his old New 52 costume whilst Johns is introducing a new costume and powerset. So we should at least see it in Justice League. Morrison brought in the Electric Blue look when it was going on during his JLA run.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Squalleon

Great news for me! I don't like the new 52 costume and it always looked ''wrong'' to me. I want more details on the costume immediately, I just can't wait.I want more details on the rest of the changes though before I say anything. Anyway in Geoff I trust when it comes to Supes. He hasn't dissapoint me yet with the character in any iteration. Super-excited.

PS.

I AM BACK! With a vengeance!

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, but I really like the New 52 costume. I hope whatever they do new will be totally awesome.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That cover is ugg

But, based on it, maybe Superman will get a HV blast similar to Supergirls AoE sun attack?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

What you said makes sense.

Still, possible permanent new costume is the least of my worries; I don’t know what to think about different powerset. Current one is pretty much perfect imo; Morrison and Lobdell gave us some updates which are fitting rather well; if we’re talking about future possible powers, then we have Snyder’s Unchained. Again, Wraith’ abilities feel like natural development of classic Kryptonian powers, to the point we don’t seem to talk about them like something new. Why change that?..

Think I’m ranting. From what I glimpsed so far, Johns doing well in his run, he should be able to pull it off.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46  Edited By Deranged Midget

@sog7dc said:

@lvenger:

Eh. I don't care about new powers. I'd rather see better displays of current powers. I like the current costume as well. At least the way Kuder draws it. I'm enjoying what Johns is doing this far so I'll check it out.

Ditto.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman Red and Blue?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lvenger

@sanohibiki: Yeah the current powerset is pretty well rounded and even Current Superman still gets accused of being OP. What updates are you talking about btw? Microwave vision and sonar hearing? And I'm hoping Johns' idea of new powers are similar to what Wraith was capable of doing though I doubt Johns will have the same ideas as Snyder will. Still, I trust him to do right by Superman, he's one of the few writers left at DC who can write him well.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SOG7dc

@lvenger:

Yes, absolutely. I really enjoyed the first two issues of Unchained and how Snyder wrote Superman's inner monologue. I know I'm not really a proven writer yet but I don't see it as an issue. I hope to write Superman one day to show how simple it is to write a character well in a compelling and well told story while still showcasing their powers in an inventive and entertaining way.

I've argued that Superman is capable of femtosecond reactions based on his tagging of Flash in Origins and the fact that Flashes sensory neurons enable him literally effortless femtosecond reaction time. I would like to see a more easily verifiable reactionary speed showing, though.

I've noticed that as well. That's one of my major issues with the new 52 is that the Kent's are dead. I don't know whether it's legal issues or just a different direction DC is trying to take Superman but it's unfortunate from where I stand.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as long as they don't bring back the insipid underwear on the outside i'm cool with it. I hope supergirl get a new armour too i like the armour aspect instead of the costume but her's kinda sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.