Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New 52 Superman Reading order.

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Good day Folks,

I hope this topic is still active among superman fans, but does anyone know how can I read the correct order for the NEW 52 superman all the way from the beginning ? is there somewhere I can find an official information or database ?

Thanks

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By apokos7

@avk111: Superman's origin has been told various times in Man of Steel by John Byrne, Birthright by Mark Waid and Secret Origins by Geoff Johns. My personal favorite is Secret Origins. The Death of Superman storyline is important to the current Action Comics. Other than that you don't have to read anything else. Some other stories by Geoff Johns are good like Last Son and Brainiac.

Read this one and you'll be ready to go: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/man-of-steel-rebirth-your-guide-to-the-new-old-superman

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By apokos7

Hello.

You should know that most Superman comics were not very good during The New 52 period. I will provide a reading order for everything between the Superman, Action Comics and Superman / Wonder Woman titles. After that I will mention just the ones that I think you should read.

• Action Comics Volumes 1-3. The series begins with a younger Superman and brings him all the way to present day.
    • Superman Vol. 1-2. Running at the same time with Action Comics Vol. 1-3.
    • Superman H'el on Earth. The Superman title had a crossover with the Superboy and Supergirl titles. This book collects every issue from Superman Vol. 3 plus Superboy's and Supergirl's issues from the crossover so if you are interested in it you should get this instead of Vol. 3.
    • Action Comics Vol. 4.
    • Superman Vol. 4. Running at the same time with Action Comics Vol. 4
    • Superman Krypton Returns. Another crossover between Superman, Superboy and Supergirl.
    • Action Comics Vol. 5.
    • Superman / Wonder Woman Vol. 1.
    • Superman Doomed. There was a crossover between Superman and Superman / Wonder Woman with random issues from other series (Action Comics, Supergirl, etc.) and the book collects issues from Action Comics Vol. 6 and Superman / Wonder Woman Vol. 2 so if you are interested in it you should get this instead of the other two.
    • Superman Vol. 5. Most of the book is before Doomed but the last two issues are after it so if you are interested in this one you should read this after Doomed.
    • Action Comics Vol. 7.
    • Superman / Wonder Woman Vol. 3.
    • Batman /Superman Vol. 1-4. Independent book featuring Batman and Superman and can be read any time unconnected with the other books.
    • Superman The Men of Tomorrow.
    • Superman Vol. 1, Action Comics Vol. 8, Batman / Superman Vol. 5, Superman / Wonder Woman Vol. 4. The "Truth" crossover between those books. Basically, all four feature the same concept via different stories. Also, Superman trades were renumbered after The Men of Tomorrow so don't be confused by seeing Vol. 1 again.
    • Superman Savage Dawn. Another crossover and should be preferred instead of Superman Vol. 2, Action Comics Vol. 9, Batman / Superman Vol. 6 and Superman / Wonder Woman Vol. 5.
    • The Final Days of Superman. Final New 52 Superman story.
    • Superman Unchained. Separate miniseries that can be read any time independently.
    • Superman Lois and Clark. Separate miniseries that should be read before The Final Days of Superman and is extremely important if you plan on reading Superman comics in the Rebirth era that succeeded the New 52.

Now like I said before, unfortunately many Superman comics were not that good during The New 52. In my opinion the ones that you should read are Superman Unchained, Superman The Men of Tomorrow, Superman Lois and Clark and The Final Days of Superman. After that dive into Superman and Action Comics from Rebirth since they are both really good.

Anyway, I hope I have helped. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7:

Thanks bro,

I would like to ask, the order of the comics you posted was it something you understood yourself or is there somewhere where DC posted the reading order officially ?

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avk111: You're welcome. There is no official reading order from DC, so I made this one up myself.

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: So this is how it works in the comics world ? companies dont release any reading order and keep producing reading material without any sort of connection between releases ? im new to this so my knowledge is very limited.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By apokos7

@avk111: One title's stories follow a certain chronology. Obviously, the second volume of an Aquaman comic takes place after the first one, etc. Now, when a character like Superman or Batman has two books things might get a little confusing. In general when two titles run together their storylines take place at the same time-frame, like here with Action Vol. 4 and Superman Vol. 4 and you can read the two in any order. However there are cases when a writer is on a book for an extended period of time to tell a bigger story, or when one of the books is considered the main one. For example, here, the first three volumes of Action Comics should be read together and are separate from the first three Superman volumes.

The best way to figure it out is events and crossovers between the books. You see the Doomed crossover which is the equivalent of Action Comics Vol. 6 and Superman / Wonder Woman Vol. 2. So Action Vol. 5 and Superman / Wonder Woman Vol. 1 come before that, however there is no official reading order between those.

If you take a look at the current Superman and Action Comics under the Rebirth banner you'll notice that they tell different stories but they reflect each other. If you look closely you can figure out that the Action Comics story comes first but in the end it doesn't really matter. All titles reflect the larger DC picture.

Finally, like I said above, you don't have to read all of the New 52 stories since few of them are really good. In my opinion, you could take a look at the four I mentioned then dive straight into the Rebirth books.

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: From what I know so far, Superman runs on the following releases:

1- Action Comics

2- Superman

3- Superman / Wonderwomen

4-Batman & Superman

5-American Immigrant (I think im not sure)

6- Justice League

The following may also be included:

1- Wonderwomen

2- Supergirl

Im using my memory from this so I could be wrong, but please add if Im missing something.

I want to go with the list you gave me however im afraid I will miss out on major events.

My reason is I want to read everything from a clean slate. so I want to get to know the origins and how things change from the begining. including super powers that may have been added and character development.

If you list is inclusive of everything Ill go ahead, however if you think it misses anything out please tell me.

As for the rebirth issues, I dont know why many people tell me to read them, when I tried I realized its not an origins story but somehow its connected to N 52 and some superman from god knows which universe. Im new to all of this that why I want to start from the origin and begining.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By apokos7

@avk111: Superman appears in Action Comics, Superman, Superman / Wonder Woman and Batman / Superman. Of course, he is also a part of the Justice League and stars there too, but that book is independent and reads on its own. Also, characters in comics appear in other books all the time. So you might see Superman in Supergirl like you mentioned but that doesn't make Supergirl a necessary book to read if you are only interested in Superman.

I believe you should go with my list, I don't think I've skipped anything. The first three Action Comics volumes will provide you with an origin story and you'll be good to go. And of course you can read the Justice League title either before or after you finish with that list. Probably before. Here's another list of the New 52 Justice League reading order.

• Justice League Vol. 1-3.
    • Justice League of America Vol. 1.
    • Shazam! Vol. 1.
    • Justice League Vol. 4, Justice League Trinity War. Justice League Trinity War includes half the issues of Justice League Vol. 4 plus some others but you should check out Justice League Vol. 4 too since the rest of the issues not included in Trinity War are important.
    • Forever Evil, Justice League Vol. 5, Justice League of America Vol. 2. Forever Evil is a main DC Universe event and the other two Justice League titles tie-in to that.
    • Justice League Vol. 6-7.
    • Justice League The Darkseid War - Power of the Gods.
    • Justice League Vol. 8.
    avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: Bro , what about superpowers and character development for superman ? does the list you gave me cover all ? I realised there are subtle things like his relationship with Lois, the solar flare event, Jimmy finding out Clark is Superman, Losing his powers and all that.

Is that covered or maybe you didnt consider any importance to them ?

I really love character development in general and seeing it on my favorite hero would be great.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avk111: Yeah, everything is covered. New52 Superman isn't with Lois but with Wonder Woman. That happens in Justice League. Solar Flare and Jimmy Olsen finding out his true identity play out in Men of Tomorrow which is on the list. The plot of him losing his powers take place right after Men of Tomorrow during the Truth event and the Savage Dawn story which are also on the list. Everything is there. Don't worry. You should be fine.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZariusII

@avk111 said:

@apokos7:

As for the rebirth issues, I dont know why many people tell me to read them, when I tried I realized its not an origins story but somehow its connected to N 52 and some superman from god knows which universe.

Pre-Flashpoint Superman comes from the N52 universe, he's just from a time before all of the alterations made to it.

I would'nt waste your time investing in N52 Superman's "character development", the character he turns into is kind of a dick.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New52 "Superman" character arc:

Starts off an annoying dick, is an annoying dick in the middle, dies an annoying dick.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@drocta said:

New52 "Superman" character arc:

Starts off an annoying dick, is an annoying dick in the middle, dies an annoying dick.

Hold on to be fair his final arc was really good with plenty of redemption.

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii:

He becomes a dick ? you mean like a douchbag sort of persona ? I read the origins of N52 - he seemed kind of ok. But watching the Justice league war animated movie - I was really surprised how his persona is just horrible.

I dont understand what this preflashpoint means. can someone explain - How many supermans exist I dont get it

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avk111: The Flashpoint event in 2011 kind of rebooted the universe, so with a clean slate back then they decided to alter post-Flashpoint's Superman personality from what it was before that event (pre-Flashpoint Superman) to something more rough. Currently with Rebirth pre-Flashpoint Superman has returned (the one with the hopeful and inspiring personality) and that's why I suggested you should read only three or four books from the New 52 in my first post, the important/best ones, and then dive straight into Rebirth.

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: Right .. but that also means I have to read the origins of Preflash point Superman in order to get the full scope. So would you have a list for that ? Starting from origin all the way to flashpoint ? Sorry if its too much to ask by the way

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apokos7: I just found this article - I didnt read it yet but I think its interesting

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/man-of-steel-rebirth-your-guide-to-the-new-old-superman

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good day community,

I want to ask in regards to the New 52 - does anyone has the reading order for how post crisis superman entered the universe of new 52 ? and when Lois got pregnant with their child John etc ? I checked the convergence reading order in the internet its too long with so many cross overs from different characters and my only focus is superman because I want to start properly with rebirth and catch up.

Thanks

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZariusII

@avk111 said:

Good day community,

I want to ask in regards to the New 52 - does anyone has the reading order for how post crisis superman entered the universe of new 52 ? and when Lois got pregnant with their child John etc ? I checked the convergence reading order in the internet its too long with so many cross overs from different characters and my only focus is superman because I want to start properly with rebirth and catch up.

Thanks

You don't need to read every book in the Convergence order, stick with the two-issue Convergence: Superman special (which covers the last stages of Lois' pregnancy and Jon's birth), then maybe read the last issue of Convergence to follow where the family go from there, then dip straight into the eight-issue Lois and Clark series which establishes how Clark, Lois and Jon wind up in post-flashpoint Earth.

After that, read the Final Days of Superman (end of N52 Supes where he, Dinaa and Bruce also meet pre-Flashpoint), and from there, Rebirth#1 and Superman: Rebirth#1 and that should set you on your way .

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok found it thanks,

May I ask when did Clark and Lois move in to Gotham before any of these events ? is it explained somewhere ? also it seems there is a intersection between two Gothams. is that explained somewhere else as well ? I dont know want to get myself in a jungle of information, but Its always great to know the origins.

I read the comics you told me and now im off to start with rebirth Superman.

Kalevala90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kalevala90

Thanks, apokos7! This is a very helpful list.
    But I would like to ask, if I want to read Supergirl too, where or when should I do it compared to this list.

alyson55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.