Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

MOS Comics Faithfulness Thread

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kryptonian24

This is NOT a Man of Steel debate thread. This is merely a look at just how faithful the film was to the comics source material, which is surprisingly substantial even by my (high) standards. As it turns out, the film was inspired by the ENTIRE Superman comics mythology; more than 75 years worth of it. This echoes what director Zack Snyder said in an interview when he first spoke of the film's inspirations on 10/15/2010,

"As I have already explained, the film will focus on the early days of Superman, so there will be no links with other films. This is not a remake then. Similarly, although I still can not talk about the script, I can assure you that this new Superman will not be based on a comic book in particular."

Before we begin, let's go ahead and list the 7 things that we ALL know happened in MOS that never happened in any way, shape, or form in the comics AT ALL whatsoever and were there simply to add credence to the fact that the film was simply an unfamiliarly new take/adaptation of Superman.

1. Zod never killed Jor-El (But I think they have fought at one point).

2. Lois never knew Kal-El before he was Clark Kent the reporter and Superman the alien hero (especially not together at once).

3. Jonathan Kent never died by way of tornado (please, nobody turn this into a discussion thread).

4. Kryptonians never wore breathers or suits to protect them from Earth's atmosphere as they gained powers from the yellow sun.

5. Superman has never started his official superhero career so late (age 33); he usually begins as either an older teen or a young adult.

6. Pete Ross was a blonde in the comics and never bullied Clark before becoming his friend.

7. Lana Lang has always been a redhead in comics; never a brunette.

That said, let's get started!

No Caption Provided

John Byrne's 1986 comic, Superman: The Man of Steel, featured Kryptonians as a race of genetically bred aliens due to the fact that they screwed up their ecology and planet in general, thus resulting in Krypton's destruction at its core. Free will didn't exist on Krypton either, as the point of Jor-El and Lara sending Kal-El away was so that he could experience the fullness of life without being restrained by the sterility of Krypton. The only notable differences between the comic and the movie is the fact that Byrne called them "Gestation Chambers" while David Goyer called them "Genesis Chambers" and the fact that Superman himself was a "test-tube baby" in the comic while in MOS (for symbolic and literal reasons obviously), he was the first natural birth in centuries.

No Caption Provided

The Man of Steel: Kelex and Kelor, the service drones, also exist.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Mark Waid's 2003 comic, Superman: Birthright, featured a world-trotting, pre-Superman Clark Kent using his abilities to save lives. The differences here are more apparent, but the circumstance is, in essence, the same. Birthright showed Clark covering a story on warring tribes and kept his abilities a secret. MOS had Clark on a soul-searching quest and forsook secrecy to ensure that endangered lives were saved. Still, either way, while focusing on one intent, he found time to break away and help others.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Geoff Johns' 2009 comic, Superman: Secret Origin, features young Clark with little control over his abilities and unintentionally ignites something with his heat vision (in Secret Origin, the gym and in MOS, a doorknob) as a result of being emotionally overwhelmed.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

J. Michael Straczynski's Superman: Earth One and Johns' Secret Origin both feature young Clark learning about his alien heritage for the first time and showing great fear towards the discovery. He only wants to be Jonathan's son and Jonathan says he will always be his son.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

One of my favorite scenes in the movie shows Clark trying to reason with a jerk who gropes an innocent woman, only to be pushed and humiliated. In response, he trashes the guy's ride and puts poles through it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Many claim Superman would never do something so petty and is always in self-control and dominant over his anger. That he wouldn't do so much as destroy a surveillance drone. Know what I say to that? Bullcrap!

Action Comics #1: literally the world's first-ever glimpse of Superman in all of his last-son-of-krypton-raised-on-earth-to-be-a-superhero glory.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Secret Origin: As if Clark couldn't re-type the papers and that Lois can't take care of herself! And he may be smiling, but you don't do something like that unless someone aggravates you (otherwise you're a dick)!

No Caption Provided

New 52: Smoking in Supes' face and getting pissy with him is about as physically effective as splashing some beer in his face and throwing a can at his back. Still, flicking a guy much weaker than you and causing damage can be excused over attacking the truck instead of the man, wouldn't you agree? (sarcasm)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Superman: Last Son. Clark interacts with a holographic Jor-El, who provides him with the wisdom of his people.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Birthright: Clark flies for the first time and one of the things he passes are animals and wildlife.

No Caption Provided

The Man of Steel and Earth One: Clark enjoys football.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Man of Steel and New 52: Clark drinks alcohol/beer. Even though the latter panel took place after MOS, it was made pretty clear that Clark has been drinking such beverages for years.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Earth One: An alien with a connection to Superman's past and people arrives on Earth and threatens to implement its destruction unless Kal-El surrenders himself over to him. The differences here are that in Earth One (volume one), the alien threat is Tyrell while in MOS, it is General Zod. But the circumstance is still the same.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Earth One: Clark gets bullied and shoved down for being different. He stifles the urge to hit (and unintentionally kill) the bully.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

For Tomorrow: Clark seeks out Father Daniel Leone to be his voice of reason and source of advice.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Earth One: Superman confronts the alien threat and learns the plot, which will result in the extinction of Earth and the Human race. He cannot yet do anything about it due to being weakened and restrained.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Last Son: Jor-El gives Superman more council and advice concerning both the people of Krypton and the denizens of Earth.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Secret Origin: Flight with Lois after a rescue.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Superman/Batman: The Supergirl from Krypton- Punching the alien threat for bringing harm to someone he cares for.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Man of Steel: Superman fights in Smallville. I put the fight with Conduit here for imagery purposes and to show that he has actually brawled in his hometown, something I don't believe occurs very frequently.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

However, the point of what I am doing next is to show that Superman, experienced or otherwise, doesn't often take fights out of populated areas. To those who say and think that, I say bullcrap...again!

The Man of Steel: Fighting Metallo in a populated area.

No Caption Provided

New 52: Beating the snot out of Batman and Green Lantern in a populated area.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Earth One: Combating Parasite in a populated area.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Earth One: Clark is proficient in science; clearly having been that way since his younger days.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Earth One: The alien threat issues his plans of destroying the Human Race and extinguishing Earth; the means affecting Earth's very center and taking place primarily in Metropolis due to the main ship being there.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Earth One: After getting free (from a technical point of view if there is to be comparisons), Superman rises up from what weakened him and proceeded to continue his mission to save us all.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Earth One: Superman attacks the vessel helmed by the alien threat and proceeds to use his heat vision to damage the inside. The vessel becomes non-existent to the war at hand. The difference worth noting is that it was only the scout ship that was damaged and the Black Zero was sucked into the Phantom Zone in an implosive (not explosive) event. Also, the alien threat died on the ship. However, the main ship was gone either way.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Death of Superman: Kissing Lois despite destruction around him and many civilians injured. However, between you and me, I don't condone this due to the fact that in the story, Supes and Lois knew each other thoroughly while in the film, they knew each other barely.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Further proof that Superman never really takes fights out of populated areas, like Metropolis.There are also times where he is too focused on the hostile to save civilians.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

War of the Supermen: Fighting Zod in a clearly populated area (even though it isn't Metropolis).

No Caption Provided

The Death of Superman: Fighting Doomsday in Metropolis, again, a clearly populated area.

No Caption Provided

Earth One: Fighting alien hostile in Metropolis, a clearly populated area.

No Caption Provided

Many claim the "Superman doesn't kill" rule isn't something born out of the media and generally exists in anything pertaining to Superman; insisting he would never do it no matter how desperate. To that, once more, I say...BULLCRAP!

No Caption Provided

The Man of Steel: Killing Zod out of desperation to stop his madness.

No Caption Provided

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow: Killing Mr. Myxzptlk to save all of reality.

No Caption Provided

The Death of Superman: Killing Doomsday to save the Earth.

No Caption Provided

Superman: Doomed (New 52): Killing Doomsday to save the Earth; it was in this story that Supes developed his kill-deterrent rule in this incarnation.

No Caption Provided

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow: Showing very clear remorse.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Earth One: Military distrust and location efforts existent despite Superman's clearly good intentions. Superman makes it absolutely clear that he isn't tolerating any offensive attempts on his person regardless of his being an alien and that they need to learn how to trust him. Adding that he is going to help the world to the best of his ability, but it will be at his own accord.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Superboy: Clark, as a boy, with a cape and his dog in the grass. Imagery purposes.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Earth One: Clark, with his "glasses persona", begins work at the Daily Planet for the first time and clearly recognizes Lois. The main difference is that it is mutual.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

List all comments below!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Heh, faithful, Superman comics and MOS in the same sentence. I needed something to chuckle about this morning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This isn't going to go well...

It's a nice write up and I can see where you're coming from. But your use of Earth one and the new 52 will discredit you in the eyes of the older Superman fans on the vine. Though I personally enjoyed earth one because it was pretty awesome. Plus MOS's use of Birthright was good and in my opinion they could've used the source material as a solid basis for the film itself. Great... Now I need to go back and read Birthright.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Interesting read. Still not thrilled about all the city destruction but good points aside from that.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nice thread. Funny you showed the bully scene from Man of Steel and a fight with Conduit, because the bully was Kenny Braverman in MOS, maybe Conduit will show up in the DCEU. Loved that villain, even if he was short lived.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool Thread! Always figured that there were plenty of Easter Eggs or references to other Superman stories in there, and you've done a good job pointing out a good deal of them. This would have been a better title though with "Superman comics references in MOS" or "Superman Easter Eggs in MOS" though.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the thread! Glad to see someone that isn't a bitch about Man of Steel

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kryptonian24

@lvenger

Dude, you've got to chill with this disdain of yours. We get it already. You hate the film. But that doesn't mean I or everyone else does or should. So prove yourself a man like you often do and just ignore something you find unappealing. Otherwise, regardless of your status on the site, you're no better than a troll.

@soldierofel

Maybe so, but MOS is a modern take on Superman, so it's only natural that modern comics (Earth One and New 52) are used to mostly tell the story. Some older fans just need to get a grip and quit nitpicking. Still, thanks for the compliment and I'm so happy you enjoyed Earth One and Birthright like I did!

@theexile285

Thank you for the compliment. I was never trying to change your mind though. I just wanted to point out that destruction is a relatively frequent thing in Superman comics, especially the recent, modern ones. MOS, aside from being on a cinematic scale, is NO different.

@suemorphplus209

Lol, so glad you noticed Kenny! I also put that in there as a test for true Superman fans and you are the first to catch it! Great job! Conduit is also my favorite kryptonite-based villain and I really hope he appears in the future DCEU as well. He'd be a great personal and physical enemy for Superman and could test the standards he vowed to uphold by constantly getting under his skin and trying to provoke him into killing him. Ooh, I don't want to just dream. I want to see it happen!

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904

Thanks, man! I actually did consider calling it "Easter Eggs of MOS", but I didn't want people to get the impression that this was one of those threads that addressed the existence of other heroes and beings of the DC universe. Still, thanks for the advice!

@reactor

Lol! I know, right?!

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they had Tyrell for MoS 1st villian but that because I'm big big fan of E1 books

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: Would've liked Tyrell as well. But it makes sense to have Zod instead given the fact that he has a direct connection to Superman's heritage.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.